Orders & Sashes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
www.ibl.se - Crown Prince Felipe of Spain at Willem and Maxima's wedding.

I noticed that at Phillippe and Mathilde of Belgium's wedding all the men wore the purple Belgian sashes (except for Haakon who wore a red one) but at Willem and Maxima's and Haakon and Mette-Marit's wedding everybody wore the sash of their own country. What is the protocol for weddings? Or is it the couple's choice?

Attachments

• NL_willem_maxima_wedding_141e.jpg
    NL_willem_maxima_wedding_141e.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 1,091
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a British sash
compliments of

Thread: Latest news on British Royals
Alexandria 
Posted: Jul 10th, 2003 - 8:45 pm

Attachments

• ry_uk_sash_post_27_1057884305.jpeg
    ry_uk_sash_post_27_1057884305.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 637
Last edited by a moderator:
Alexandria 
Posted: Sep 29th, 2003 - 9:58 pm

I noticed that at Phillippe and Mathilde of Belgium's wedding all the men wore the purple Belgian sashes (except for Haakon who wore a red one) but at Willem and Maxima's and Haakon and Mette-Marit's wedding everybody wore the sash of their own country. What is the protocol for weddings? Or is it the couple's choice?
You wouldn't be able to post pictures of those, would you?

I confess, I have this weakness for colour, patterns, and geometry ....

Originally posted by haakon2@Sep 29th, 2003 - 10:21 pm
There seems to be some similarity between the sash of
Alexandria  
Posted: Sep 29th, 2003 - 9:46 pm
and
haakon2  
Posted: Sep 29th, 2003 - 10:13 pm

or am I wrong?
No, that's a British sash Prince Michael of Kent is wearing. The Duchess of Gloucester is wearing a similar sash in a picture above (before) it.

Originally posted by haakon2@Sep 29th, 2003 - 10:24 pm
You wouldn't be able to post pictures of those, would you?

I confess, I have this weakness for colour, patterns, and geometry ....
Here are a few ... And if your curiosity still ails you, check out the Something New forum.

www.ibl.se - CP Haakon at Willem and Maxima's wedding.

Attachments

• NL_willem_maxima_wedding_144b.jpg
    NL_willem_maxima_wedding_144b.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,018
www.ibl.se - Phillippe at Willem and Maxima's wedding in a whole new sash altogether.

Attachments

• NL_willem_maxima_wedding_145a.jpg
    NL_willem_maxima_wedding_145a.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 884
Willem wearing the Dutch sash???

Attachments

• NL_willem_maxima_wedding_172a.jpg
    NL_willem_maxima_wedding_172a.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 358
www.ibl.se - Queen Sofia at Haakon and Mette-Marit's wedding.

Attachments

• NY_haakon_mette_marit_wedding_168e.jpg
    NY_haakon_mette_marit_wedding_168e.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,004
Haakon and Frederik at Haakon's wedding.

Attachments

• NY_haakon_mette_marit_wedding_187g.jpg
    NY_haakon_mette_marit_wedding_187g.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,007
www.ibl.se - The former Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg.

Attachments

• NY_haakon_mette_marit_wedding_207.jpg
    NY_haakon_mette_marit_wedding_207.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,052
www.polfoto.dk - Nikolaos of Greece and Madeline of Sweden at Haakon and Mette-Marit's wedding.

Attachments

• NY_haakon_mette_marit_wedding_223.jpg
    NY_haakon_mette_marit_wedding_223.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,146
www.ibl.se - Phillippe of Belgium at Haakon and Mette-Marit's wedding.

Attachments

• NY_haakon_mette_marit_wedding_169c.jpg
    NY_haakon_mette_marit_wedding_169c.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 908
www.ibl.se - (Then) Hereditary Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa at Phillippe and Mathilde's wedding wearing the Belgian sash.

Attachments

• BM_phillippe_mathilde_wedding_105k.jpg
    BM_phillippe_mathilde_wedding_105k.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 845
www.corbis.com - King Harald of Norway and King Albert of Belgium (and way behind is Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg) sporting the Belgian sash at Phillippe and Mathilde's wedding.

Attachments

• BM_phillippe_mathilde_wedding_134.jpg
    BM_phillippe_mathilde_wedding_134.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 399
www.rexfeatures.com - And then you have Haakon of Norway at Phillippe and Mathilde's wedding sporting the Norwegian sash ... :doh:

Attachments

• BM_phillippe_mathilde_wedding_105o.jpg
    BM_phillippe_mathilde_wedding_105o.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 468
Yes, that last one is the Norwegian order (the highest I think). They reward another one to lesser royals, e.g. Laurent and Claire of Belgium that is dark blue (the order of the North Star or Polar Star or something like that).

The orange one with the blue edges that Philippe of Belgium and Don Felipe are wearing at Willem Alexanders wedding is most likely Dutch.

The red ones in the picture of Queen Mum, the Queen and Prince Philipp are German. Queen Mum probably wears the Order of the Garter sash (I know that this one is dark blue). She probably never got/accepted a German order!! Her dislike of everything german is well known.

Spanish orders
Order of Carlos III is pale blue with a white central stripe

Order of Hermenegildo is magenta with white stripes/edges

Order of Isabella la Católica is yellow with a white central stripe

Naval order of Merit is red and yellow. That might be the sash Felipe wears on that Vanity Fair photo.

That's what I found out, but I didn't find additional pics for Isabella la Católica. And I still don't know what's that simple pale blue one.

The order Prince Michael of Kent and the Duchess of Gloucester are wearing is the Royal Victorian Order. Most members of the British Royal Family have this order. The Duchess of Kent, Prince Edward, Prince Andrew, and the Dowager Duchess of Gloucester have this order as well as others. Both Princess Anne and Princess Alexandra had this order before they recieved the Order of the Garter. The next person to get this order will probably be the Countess of Wessex.

Originally posted by A.C.C.@Sep 30th, 2003 - 3:46 pm
The order Prince Michael of Kent and the Duchess of Gloucester are wearing is the Royal Victorian Order. Most members of the British Royal Family have this order. The Duchess of Kent, Prince Edward, Prince Andrew, and the Dowager Duchess of Gloucester have this order as well as others. Both Princess Anne and Princess Alexandra had this order before they recieved the Order of the Garter. The next person to get this order will probably be the Countess of Wessex.
oh really!

Sophie,Countess of Wessex will be sashes! when she not wores on sashes since she marries to Prince Edward in 1999 but i think she will gives her sashes for first time oh wow! I dont think so Princess Diana not wores Sashes since marriage to Prince Charles!

Sophie Wessex never been Order of the Garter!

Sara Boyce

Spanish orders
Order of Carlos III is pale blue with a white central stripe

Order of Hermenegildo is magenta with white stripes/edges

Order of Isabella la Católica is yellow with a white central stripe

Naval order of Merit is red and yellow. That might be the sash Felipe wears on that Vanity Fair photo.

That's what I found out, but I didn't find additional pics for Isabella la Católica. And I still don't know what's that simple pale blue one

Winter can you please possibly provide photos? I will do what I can to find some myself.

Thank You

I think Queen Elizabeth 2 had sashes ? because she had different pins from order of the Garter?

I think Prince Andrew and Prince Edward have one at sashes ? but Prince Charles have sashes when he got at order of the garter i mean he got pins!

Originally posted by Alexandria@Sep 28th, 2003 - 7:53 pm
The Japanese sash - although it looks like the Emperor and Emperess are wearing two different sashes.  :blink:
The Japanese sash is different in a color by for males, and for women.

Grand Cordon of the Supreme Order of the Chrysanthemum (for males)

k2.gif

Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown (for women)

t1.gif

You could watch the kind of all Japanese sashes.

The Imperial Family's sash are "Grand Cordon of the Supreme Order of the Chrysanthemum" and "Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown".

http://www8.cao.go.jp/intro/kunsho/kunshou/kikka.html

http://www8.cao.go.jp/intro/kunsho/kunshou/kyokujitsu.html

http://www8.cao.go.jp/intro/kunsho/kunshou/houkan.html

http://www8.cao.go.jp/intro/kunsho/kunshou/zuihou.html

The sash worn by Queen Sylvia is which Jordanian order?

Compliments of Glittering Royal Events Message Board of Oct. 7, 2003:

Attachments

• sash_ry_se_oct07_a23g.jpg
    sash_ry_se_oct07_a23g.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 421
More from Glittering Royal Events Message Board of Oct. 7, 2003:

Never seen a purple sash yet in the RF of Sweden !!!!

Attachments

• sash_ry_se_oct07_a06j.jpg
    sash_ry_se_oct07_a06j.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 379
King Christian  Posted on Oct 7th, 2003 - 11:16 pm
More from Glittering Royal Events Message Board of Oct. 7, 2003:

Never seen a purple sash yet in the RF of Sweden !!!!
Oops .. occurs to me that it is the Jordanian sash.

Royals wear whatever sash it is of the country that they're honouring. I.e. Victoria and Silvia recently wore the Jordanian sash for Abdullah and Rania's state visit to Sweden. Also, the royals wore Norwegian sashes at Haakon and Mette-Marit's wedding. Additionally, in the picture of the Japanese visit to Norway (?), The Queen is wearing a Japanese sash (Yellow, with thin red stripes), the Empress is wearing a Norwegian sash. The Emperor is wearing a Norwegian sash aswell. Harold looks to be wearing a Norwegian sash too. I think that the Queen will normally wear the visiting country's sash, while the male monarch will wear the one of his own country.

That's what I've observed.

Back
Top Bottom