Orders & Sashes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Geez Warren! Why did you have to confuse me even more. You know that I'm a novice at this.:D Thanks.:flowers:

JessRulz said:
The sashes are mainly worn from the (when facing the person) left shoulder down to the right hip. But, if you have the same coloured sash as another country (ie. Denmark & Sweden), then it changes. For example, at the King of Sweden's 60th Birthday celebrations, CP Mary of Denmark wore her Danish sash over her right shoulder connecting at her left hip, because the Swedish royal were wearing their order over their left shoulder down to their right hip. However, if an event was held in Denmark and the Swedish royal family were there, for example CP Frederik & CP Mary's wedding in 2004, Prince Carl Philip & Princess Madeleine (not sure about CP Victoria) of Sweden wore their light blue Swedish sashes over their left shoulder down to their right hip because they were in Denmark.
Not quite right: The (swedish) Order of the Seraphim is worn from the person's right shoulder to her left hip. But the (danish) Order of the Elephant is worn the other way, meaning from the person's left shoulder to her right hip. Each order has rules concerning how and when it is to be worn. Those do not change. Especially not because another country's order is the same colour. ;)

Considering that (1.) Victoria has both sashes, (2.) Carl Philip & Madeleine have not the danish, but only their swedish sash and (3.) Mary has only her danish sash, but not the swedish one, the picture was as you described last year and 3 years ago: In Sweden Victoria & her siblings wore their Seraphim orders because the festivities were in Sweden and Mary wore her Elephant order. In Denmark 3 years ago Victoria wore the danish Order of the Elephant (which she had already been given) while her siblings wore their Seraphims.:)

Sashes

The sashes are linked to various Orders, such as the Order of the Garter and the Order of Merit (England). Each country has different orders and each have different awards, stars and sashes. Some of the Princes probably belong to military Orders and may possibly wear the sash as a cumber band around the waist.

The sashes are linked to various Orders, such as the Order of the Garter and the Order of Merit (England). Each country has different orders and each have different awards, stars and sashes. Some of the Princes probably belong to military Orders and may possibly wear the sash as a cumber band around the waist.

Under absolutly no circumstances is a Sash of an Order ever, ever worn as a cumberbund, not in the UK, Denmark or Timbucktoo for that matter!!!

was more of a speculative statement. But point taken.

Last edited:

Crown Princess Mary is wearing the Order of the Elephant, and the other are wearing the Swedish (the Seraphim, I think).
Princess Maxima has probably not received a Norwegian order at that time, that's why she's wearing her Dutch order.

Both are correct. In the first picture, Mary is wearing the Order of the Elephant. It's over her left shoulder because that is how the Elephant is worn, the others are worn over the right shoulder. The other light blue ones, worn by Victoria and Madeleine, are the Order of the Seraphim. Mathilde and Mette-Marit are wearing the second highest Swedish order (Order of the Polar Star?), while Máxima is wearing the Dutch order.

In the second picture, Máxima is the only one not wearing the Order of St Olav (highest Norwegian order) because since her time as Princess of the Netherlands (2002 to present) there has not been a state visit to or from Norway for her to receive the order

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you JessRulz and Andrew for the information:flowers:. Now my question is on the Order of the Elephant itself, why the sign of an Elephant was chosen? I can hardly imagine an elephant in Denmark:confused:, does it symbolize something in Denmark? for example an owl is a sign of wisdom, and the elephant is a sign of....maybe ..elephants never forget;).....Forgive me, I was just joking:lol:, but I'm not joking about wanting to know the answer. Thank you in advance:flowers:

This is what it says regarding the Elephant on the Danish Orders of Chivalry part of their website:
The explanation for the elephant as the symbol of the Order is most likely that a warrior elephant was used as a symbol for the defenders of Christianity who were incensed at the sight of Christ’s blood. At the same time the elephant symbolised purity and chastity.

This is what it says regarding the Elephant on the Danish Orders of Chivalry part of their website:

Thank you JessRulz once again for the information:flowers: You are being quite helpfull:). It's interesting to know that The Order is quite an old one and dates back to 1693!!. I hope I'm not bothering with my many questions, but in the article that you have referred to by the link, it was mentioned that HRH The Prince Consort (that is Prince Henrik) is Chancellor of the Order. Does that mean that HRH has the authority to decide to whom it would be granted? Or is it in the authority of HM The Queen as she is the Sovereign of the Order?
I was happy to find a close picture of the Order of the Elephant, but unfortunately I couldn't see a picture of the Order of Dannebrog:sad: (I hope I spelled the later correctly). Thanks

Margrethe is the one who decides who gets all the Danish orders, not Henrik

does the order go back to the country that gives it out if a person dies?

I think that it depends on the order. I know that the Danish Order of the Elephant states that upon their death, the member's order (and all artifacts related to it) are to be returned. I am not sure about the other orders.

In Belgium , the Leopold'sash was 10 cm for men and woman.
Queen Paola changed and did smaller ones for women.
Queen Fabiola never wears sashes , Queen Paola well but she never wears the highest Belgian sash. For officiel visits she wears the one she received.

:flowers:what happen with the photos that was posted her2 a few days ago ? some nice photos of sashes with the orders????? very nice close up? I would love to see them again? was a wrong post? or had been send to another part of the forum????? i wont to see them again, please:flowers::flowers::flowers:

what happen with the photos that was posted her2 a few days ago ? some nice photos of sashes with the orders
They were Republic of Greece orders and being non-Royal have been moved to Members' Corner, here.
The photos, being subject to copyright, have been removed and replaced with url links.

thank you, i checked it , very nice, just the photos come smaller, i don't know why, but it is really nice photos, wish the dutch and the danish would have photos like this for her orders

To Royal orders :
Fabiola received of course the orders but I never saw any picture of her wearing sashes.

It is not easy for ladies to wear sashes now .. I saw a lot of pictures of Princesses wearing badly their sashes ..Of course they don't have a lady in waiting helping them.

well, i am sure they have somebody at home before to leave to have some help to dress.
the only time i saw some photos of maxima in the same event, first with a fascinator after without the fascinator and the same with the sashes, first with it after without it, same dress same event diferent time of photos

thank you, i checked it , very nice, just the photos come smaller, i don't know why...
Clicking on the links in that post produces exactly the same size photos as those originally posted, ie small.
If they were small when posted, they will be equally small when opening the link.

Does anyone know what order GD Henri is wearing? It was National Day 2007. I thought for National Day they (Henri and Guillaume) wore the Luxembourg order (the gold sash).

[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

The Grand Duke is wearing the Order of the Oak Crown in that picture. It is one of 4 Luxembourg orders.

The golden sash, which you mention, that he typically wears is the Order of the Gold Lion of the House of Nassau and is actually shared with The Queen of the Netherlands where it is a house order while in Luxembourg it is a national order and the highest order of the Grand Duchy.

ODM of Luxembourg: Order of the Oak Crown

Henri is most likely wearing the Order of the Oak Crown because it is only awarded on The Grand Duke's Official Birthday which is what the celebration of "National Day" really is in Luxembourg. The date will always June 23 irregardless of The Grand Duke's actual birthday. He was likely wearing the order at this particular point in the day in connection with the annual awarding of the order.

He may also have worn the Order of Merit of of The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg which is red with blue trim at some point, because it is also only awarded on National Day a.k.a The Grand Duke's Official Birthday. At other points in the day he would have returned to wearing the Gold Lion of the House of Nassau. He is usually not pictured with the other orders because they are not awarded every year.

what's this order that letizia is wearing? it must be a mexican order as it was worn during a state visit by mexico.
Una cena de gala en en el Palacio Real en honor del presidente mexicano

i was also having difficulty identifying the sashes sofia and letizia are wearing here http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48794&d=1098187528 (which is from latvia), here (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=87153&d=1107222281) from hungary and here (http://www.adn.es/clipping/ADNIMA20071204_0919/4.jpg) from philippines

Last edited:
that in the second pic its princess Alexandra and prince Joachim on their wedding day bowing and curtsying to the queen

Back
Top Bottom