The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-08-2019, 03:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeceT21 View Post
I wonder if we'll see something similar in other families moving forward. Will Sverre Magnus' wife not be a Princess either? [...]
That question seems to divide Norwegian royal watchers. From this forum, the well-informed Royal Norway predicted that a wife of Sverre Magnus will not be a Princess.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post2140522

Quote:
I could see Denmark having Joachim's daughters-in-law simply be titled as Countesses of Monpezat (if titled at all) rather than Princesses.
According to Prince Joachim, it took some time for his mother the Queen to come to the decision that his second wife would be titled Princess (despite Joachim being an official working royal), so I could imagine the title being withheld from Joachim's daughters-in-law.

https://danishroyalwatchers.blogspot...onference.html

Quote:
Belgium could also consider it in the future considering all four of Philippe's children will pass on royal titles to their children and that will be a LOT of Princes/Princesses within a couple of generations.
It's unclear to me if King Philippe's younger daughter will pass on royal titles if she marries a commoner, but a royal decree issued in 2015 along with further announcements made clear that - at least - his sons, Princess Astrid's sons and Prince Laurent's sons will pass on princely titles to their legitimate children, so there will indeed be many Princes/Princesses in the Belgian royal family within a couple of generations, although most of them will not be HRHs or Princes/Princesses of Belgium.

Moniteur Belge - Belgisch Staatsblad
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post2252197

However, the relevant factors are quite different in Belgium. Hundreds of Princes and Princesses are part of the Belgian nobility, and being "only" Prince or Princess is not an exclusive or royal title in that country.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post

However, the relevant factors are quite different in Belgium. Hundreds of Princes and Princesses are part of the Belgian nobility, and being "only" Prince or Princess is not an exclusive or royal title in that country.

Nonetheless, it is odd to me (as a non-Belgian and non-European) that all direct descendants of King Leopold I be called "prince/princess" even though only a small part of them (those born as children or grandchildren of the King or the Crown Prince) will be HRHs (princes/princesses of Belgium).

Old 10-28-2019, 07:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
It is also interesting that the style “ Prince /Princess xxx of Belgium”, which is common in English, is nevertheless not used apparently in Belgium itself. Likewise, it appears that “Prince xxx of Sweden”, although common in English, is not used in Sweden either where, in daily use, one only says “ HRH Prince/Princess xxx”
It is likewise in Spain and in Denmark, with the official titles being Infanta/Infante of Spain and Princess/Prince to/of Denmark respectively, but the "of Spain" and "to/of Denmark" being seldom used in Spain and Denmark themselves.

In Norway, however, the official title is simply Princess/Prince, rather than Princess/Prince of Norway. Abroad, "of Norway" may be added for identification, but it is not an official title. I think it is the same in Britain.

Quote:
or, in formal use , HRH Xxx, Prince/Princess of Sweden, Duke/Duchess of xxx”.
I think it is properly HRH Prince/Princess xxx, Prince/Princess of Sweden, Duke/Duchess of xxx, the reason being that prior to 1982 the formal title of princes of the Swedish Royal House was HRH Prince xxx, Sweden's Arvfurste, Duke of xxx.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
When the King of Sweden gave titles to the children of his second daughter a third of the forums raged, one third cheered and one third remained indifferent. It's hard to please everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAtLast View Post
Did they react that way because they didn't like the kings decision or was it because his second daughter doesn't have a positive reputation and they don't like the decision because they don't like her. what was the reaction when he gave titles to the children of his son.
While composing an answer to KellyAtLast's question, I thought I would also look at the reaction on the forums when other children of (younger) sons were given royal titles.

*Prince Félix and Prince Louis of Luxembourg were living outside of the country when their children were given royal titles, the same as King of Sweden's younger daughter.

First child of Prince Carl Philip of Sweden: No negative reactions to the child's royal title.

Princess Sofia is Expecting - Due April 2016
A Boy for Carl Philip and Sofia - Alexander Erik Hubertus Bertil: April 19, 2016

First child of Prince Félix of Luxembourg*: No negative reactions to the child's royal title.

Félix and Claire Expecting First Child
A Girl for Félix and Claire - Amalia Gabriela Maria Teresa: June 15, 2014

Children of Prince Louis of Luxembourg*: No negative reactions to the children being given titles. There is one comment suggesting they should have been created counts instead of princes, but most reactions are extremely positive about the royal titles.

New Titles for Tessy, Gabriel and Noah de Nassau: June 23, 2009

First child from the second marriage of Prince Joachim of Denmark: No negative reactions to the child's royal title.

Princess Marie is Pregnant!
Baby Boy for Princess Marie and Prince Joachim: May 4, 2009

First child of Prince Laurent of Belgium: No negative reactions to the child's royal title.

Princess Claire Pregnant
A Daughter for Laurent and Claire

I limited myself to the European royal families, but I would be interested to know about reactions to other families.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:40 AM
Courtier

Apart from the british royals the other european ones are much less under scrutiny - so a royal titel is much less a burden than in britain.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:51 AM
Majesty

Recently I posted a summary table of British royal and noble titles and styles to the "Questions about British Styles and Titles" forum.

Similarly, I have been also working on tables for Spanish and (French-language) Belgian royal and noble titles and styles , but that is still a work in progress and the information therein has not been fully verified as in the British case. The attached files show what I have got so far.

The summary tables are written respectively in Spanish and French (as I did not want to mix languages in the tables), but the explanatory comments that follow the tables are written in English so that all forum members can read them. I apologize in advance if I made any spelling, grammar or semantic mistake in French or in Spanish (those are not my native languages).
Attached Files
File Type: doc Adresse-Belge-v5.doc (72.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: doc Tratamiento-Español-v4.doc (88.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-07-2020, 05:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Recently I posted a summary table of British royal and noble titles and styles to the "Questions about British Styles and Titles" forum.

Similarly, I have been also working on tables for Spanish and (French-language) Belgian royal and noble titles and styles , but that is still a work in progress and the information therein has not been fully verified as in the British case. The attached files show what I have got so far.

The summary tables are written respectively in Spanish and French (as I did not want to mix languages in the tables), but the explanatory comments that follow the tables are written in English so that all forum members can read them. I apologize in advance if I made any spelling, grammar or semantic mistake in French or in Spanish (those are not my native languages).
Thank you very much for doing this! As always, I greatly appreciate your effort to be both explanatory and accurate.

I can't be of much assistance with the noble forms of address, but in the thread on Belgian titles I've previously shared a few examples of how wives of Princes of Belgium who were not created Princesses of Belgium themselves are formally styled. In summary, there are two styles that the Belgian court applies in these cases:

1. HRH Princess Amedeo of Belgium, with HRH and "of Belgium" but without the wife's own forename or surname.
2. Princess Elisabetta (Rosboch von Wolkenstein), with the wife's own forename (and, if desired, surname) but with neither HRH nor "of Belgium".

Since I don't recall sharing this link in the Belgian thread, here is an article which quotes a Palace press announcement in which she was styled Princess Elisabetta Maria Rosboch von Wolkenstein.

It occurred to me as I read your summaries that many of the rules you have listed for the royal families are recent inventions (e.g. the treatment of Infantas and their spouses has only been the general rule for one generation, since Pilar and Margarita's unequal marriages were exceptions to the rules in place at the time). It has become a knotty exercise to describe the rules of European royal titles, as they have undergone many rapid changes over the last few decades.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Herman II of Baden was the first to use the title of "Margrave of Baden" in 1112.