Monarchs And Government

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keystone

Gentry
City
Virginia
Country
United States
Hello,

I was curious as to the role monarchs play in government. I know generally it is ceremonial and nominal. But I was looking for images of the Queen of Denmark opening parliament, but all I could find were images of her arriving and attending the opening of the Danish parliament. In the UK the queen takes an active role in the opening session, and as we know, giving the Queen's Speech (written by the PM). Denmark doesn't seem to have this nuance.

So my question is, what other differences might there be?

My understanding, and I could very well be wrong, is that in Denmark the Queen and her family attend the traditional opening session but only watch as the Prime Minister of the Day sets our their plans for the Parliamentary session. I think this is similar in Sweden where the King and his family just watch. In Norway and The Netherlands the King makes a speech (written by the Government not the King himself) about the government's plans (in the Netherlands its the setting out of the budget I think)a bit like Queen Elizabeth II does.

Comparing to the UK most other countries do it much more low key, the closest in 'pomp' is probably the Netherlands where the Royals travel to and from reading of the budget in carriages etc. In Denmark they travel by car (its a short journey), I think Sweden travel by carriages as well and it seems to be a tradition that the Royal ladies in attendance all wear black (or mainly black - I'm not sure why).

In Sweden the King has no role in government as I understand it, whereas in the Netherlands and Norway and Denmark the Sovereign has a nominal role in appointing Prime Ministers etc.

Last edited:
Hello,

I was curious as to the role monarchs play in government. I know generally it is ceremonial and nominal. But I was looking for images of the Queen of Denmark opening parliament, but all I could find were images of her arriving and attending the opening of the Danish parliament. In the UK the queen takes an active role in the opening session, and as we know, giving the Queen's Speech (written by the PM). Denmark doesn't seem to have this nuance.

So my question is, what other differences might there be?

Hmm, not exactly sure what you mean...
In DK that's because of the very strict political neutrality of the DRF and the separation off the head of state and the legislative power.
As such it was decided that the Monarch should not stand on the floor of the Parliament but instead the DRF are invited to the opening of the Parliament as guests of honor.
As such it's the PM herself who delivers the speech about the state of affair and the policy of the government in the year to come. There is no need for the head of state to speak on behalf of the PM who is the foremost servant of the Monarch anyway.

And make no mistake, all authority stems from the Monarch, everything done by the state or public authorities is formally speaking done in the name of QMII, even though the expression is no longer used.

The Parliament pass a bill, making it a law.
The Monarch signs the law, making it valid.
And only when the law has been published can it be enforced.

Without a Monarch/Rigsforstander/Regent in charge (and in the country) there is no legal authority, no new laws can be made valid and we would have a business-ministry (= DK de facto being administered by civil servants) until a Regent has been appointed.

Last edited:
My understanding, and I could very well be wrong, is that in Denmark the Queen and her family attend the traditional opening session but only watch as the Prime Minister of the Day sets our their plans for the Parliamentary session.

The King of Sweden actually delivers a speech at the opening of parliament, but the speech is not the government's legislative program, which is announced afterwards in a separate speech by the prime minister.

In the Netherlands, the King delivers a speech from the throne similar to the Queen's speech in the UK, but, unlike in the UK, he doesn't wear a crown, as Dutch monarchs are not crowned.

In the UK, executive power is formally vested in the Queen such that the ministers in theory are the Queen's government. In the Netherlands, the constitution says that the government actually consists of the King and the ministers and all royal decrees have to countersigned by a responsible minister to be legally valid, which is also the case, I guess, in Belgium and Spain.

Sweden, on the other hand, is somewhat unique in the sense that the King officially ceased to be part of the government in 1975. Acordingly, the King plays no official role in government formation or the legislative process. The government, however, has a constitutional duty to keep the King informed about state affairs and the King meets regularly with individual ministers and, with the cabinet as a whole in a formal Council of State, every three months or so.

I think this is similar in Sweden where the King and his family just watch. In Norway and The Netherlands the King makes a speech (written by the Government not the King himself) about the government's plans (in the Netherlands its the setting out of the budget I think)a bit like Queen Elizabeth II does.

Comparing to the UK most other countries do it much more low key, the closest in 'pomp' is probably the Netherlands where the Royals travel to and from reading of the budget in carriages etc. In Denmark they travel by car (its a short journey), I think Sweden travel by carriages as well and it seems to be a tradition that the Royal ladies in attendance all wear black (or mainly black - I'm not sure why).

In Sweden the King has no role in government as I understand it, whereas in the Netherlands and Norway and Denmark the Sovereign has a nominal role in appointing Prime Ministers etc.

These are great responses!!!

So, to follow up, the Danish monarch does not actual "open" the legislative session of parliament?

And what is the nature of the speech that the King of Sweden delivers? Is it akin to "welcome to the Parliament" kind of thing?

These are great responses!!!

So, to follow up, the Danish monarch does not actual "open" the legislative session of parliament?

And what is the nature of the speech that the King of Sweden delivers? Is it akin to "welcome to the Parliament" kind of thing?

The link below shows an old speech the King delivered in the opening of the Swedish parliament back in 2007. I retrieved it from the Swedish Royal House website. I believe you can find more recent speeches if you search them.

http://www.kungahuset.se/download/1...87/1390581086438/HMK+speech+Riksmötet+eng.pdf

Back
Top Bottom