Letters To Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have sent letters to Queen Beatrix, The Prince and Princess of Orange, Queen Margrethe II and The Crown Prince And Crown Princess of Denmark on the recent Royal Births and To HRH The Princess Royal on her appointment as Grand Master of The Royal Victorian Order, I will let you know what replies I receive.

I have sent a card to Alexander & Máxima congratulating them on the birth of Ariane, and one to Alexander for his 40th birthday at the end of the week. My card to Mary & Fred congratulating them on the birth of Lilleprinsesse is sitting on my desk waiting to be posted on Thursday!

Hello! What is Pss. Marie-astrid's address? I would like to write to her.

The Private Secretaries to Queen Margrethe II and The Princess Royal have both replied thanking me for my letters, Queen Margrethe's paper is awful!

I've never attempted to send a letter to a royal before. Does anyone send anything back, like a secretary or something?

acdc1 said:
I've never attempted to send a letter to a royal before. Does anyone send anything back, like a secretary or something?

A response will be sent but normally not directly from the royal personage concerned, although sometimes a person gets lucky.

One of my students sent a letter to the Queen for imformation relating to an assignment some years ago about the abdication.

This student did get a reply from the Queen - the student asked a question about what the Queen remembered about the events and the reply was very non-commital - something like 'I remember a lot of change and realised things were happening but at the time I didn't fully take in what was happening until we were told definitely that my parents were going to be the King and Queen'.

Other students only got replies from the private secretaries, but their questions weren't about what the Queen remembered but more about the details of the abdication itself.

Her Majesty was very kind to reply herself to this student! It shows how dedicated to her "job" she is. She certainly knows she is seen as "United Kingdom's Mother". Good for her! :flowers:

Vanesa.

Today I received a telegram from Spain thanking me for the letter which I sent to The king and Queen on the occasion of the birth of Sofia.
It was nice to get a telegram as opposed to a letter, quite different.

The Spanish text and a rough translation is below.

De jefe de la casa de su majestad el rey

Sus majestades me encargan que traslade, en su nombre y junto a su afectuoso saludo, su sincero agradecimiento por las amables palabras de felicitación que han recibido con motivo del nacimiento de su nieta, la infanta Sofía.

Aprovecho la ocasión para enviar un saludo muy cordial,

Alberto Aza Arias

Translation

The Head of The Household of HM The King

Their Majesties have commanded me to convey in Their name and with their affectionate greetings, Their sincere thanks for your kind words of congratulations which They have received on the birth of Their Granddaughter, The Infanta Sofia.

I take this occasion to offer you my very warm greetings,

Alberto Aza Arias

Does someone write to the Belgian Royals? I send a christmascard to Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde and I receive a photograph with Christmaswishes. Sorry for my English. :blush:

Last edited:
If I understand, they send you a picture in return?

Yes, a card with wishes and a picture to all the writers every year. A familyphoto.

That's really sweet. What a wonderful gesture. I don't believe my Congresswoman would do that! That's really nice, royaltylover. Your English is fine.:flowers:

It may already exist and I've missed it. I have several examples of Princess Caroline's handwriting, and a graphologist's analysis of her personality based on her handwriting, on the occasion of her first marriage. I'll post them when I get home, if there is any interest.

I received a card from HRH The Prince of Venice & Piedmont & he send me a own pic from christening his baby :D

Today I received a telegram from Spain thanking me for the letter which I sent to The king and Queen on the occasion of the birth of Sofia.
It was nice to get a telegram as opposed to a letter, quite different.

The Spanish text and a rough translation is below.

De jefe de la casa de su majestad el rey

Sus majestades me encargan que traslade, en su nombre y junto a su afectuoso saludo, su sincero agradecimiento por las amables palabras de felicitación que han recibido con motivo del nacimiento de su nieta, la infanta Sofía.

Aprovecho la ocasión para enviar un saludo muy cordial,

Alberto Aza Arias

Translation

The Head of The Household of HM The King

Their Majesties have commanded me to convey in Their name and with their affectionate greetings, Their sincere thanks for your kind words of congratulations which They have received on the birth of Their Granddaughter, The Infanta Sofia.

I take this occasion to offer you my very warm greetings,

Alberto Aza Arias

I got a similar reply from the Prince and Princess of Asturias on the occassion of Infanta Sofía's birth. Basically the same, just different words (daughter instead of granddaughter, etc ;))

Royal Letter Etiquette as used by Royalty

From within, what is the letter etiquette?

I noticed that HRM Queen Elizabeth II writes simply "Elizabeth II" at the end of the letter in penwork, and the addressing title in penwork at the top. (Still calling the person Your Excellency or addressing them by title".

Perhaps it was a head of state she would address by honorific because I imagine being that her peerage is equal to royalty she would not address anyone else by some title other than "Dear (Title) name) rather than an honorific. I was also surprised to see that royalty uses such simple stationery.

So from what I understand it the name of the palace the Queen or her Lady-in-Wating is currently in (Or for the King of Denmark, the palace he is in) is always below the Coat of Arms or Monogram? Is it always the name of the one their in?

From within, what is the letter etiquette?

I noticed that HRM Queen Elizabeth II writes simply "Elizabeth II" at the end of the letter in penwork, and the addressing title in penwork at the top. (Still calling the person Your Excellency or addressing them by title".

Perhaps it was a head of state she would address by honorific because I imagine being that her peerage is equal to royalty she would not address anyone else by some title other than "Dear (Title) name) rather than an honorific. I was also surprised to see that royalty uses such simple stationery.

So from what I understand it the name of the palace the Queen or her Lady-in-Wating is currently in (Or for the King of Denmark, the palace he is in) is always below the Coat of Arms or Monogram? Is it always the name of the one their in?
Queen Elizabeth II is addressed as Her Majesty (HM) and HM signs a letter or any paperwork as Elizabeth R which stands for Elizabeth Regina.Regina in Latin means Queen.

Queen Elizabeth II is addressed as Her Majesty (HM) and HM signs a letter or any paperwork as Elizabeth R which stands for Elizabeth Regina.Regina in Latin means Queen.

That did not really help me too much. I did want to know other than the Queen.

My main question was if the current palace or residence the Queen or King of a country is presently in is always put below the coat of arms or monogram in a letter FROM an monarch.

Under the Coat of Arms on British Royal stationary, it says "Buckingham Palace". On my letter from the Duchess of Cornwall, it said, "Clarence House".

Under the Coat of Arms on British Royal stationary, it says "Buckingham Palace". On my letter from the Duchess of Cornwall, it said, "Clarence House".

When I looked at different samples on the Internet it showed the typical British Royal Residences alternating. So I assume when the Queen is at Buckingham, Windosr Castle, or Balmoral Castle it changes.

That did not really help me too much. I did want to know other than the Queen.

My main question was if the current palace or residence the Queen or King of a country is presently in is always put below the coat of arms or monogram in a letter FROM an monarch.

Well, an expression of appreciation for other members attempts to help might result in more people taking the trouble to do likewise.

Well, an expression of appreciation for other members attempts to help might result in more people taking the trouble to do likewise.

I felt like his answer was simply to correct me on my use of HRM rather than answer the question. He corrected me without answering either of my questions. I was not trying to be rude by saying he did not help, but he did not. I am not the one being rude, I feel like it is an answer many people could answer simply with kindness instead of refusing to answer and be rude.

I apologize if I offended anyone or broke any forum etiquette unknown to me as an new user.

Even your answer though was just to correct me on something you say I did wrong. Why will anyone not just answer the question with their expertise? Please?

Last edited:
Probably because not everybody has seen the thread. I hope you've noticed that Beatrixfan did in fact give you an answer. However, as Empress pointed out, if your response to answers that don't directly address the question are dismissive rather than appreciative for at least having tried to help, you might find that other people simply won't bother. I'll PM a couple of our experts and ask them to have a look at the thread.

When I looked at different samples on the Internet it showed the typical British Royal Residences alternating. So I assume when the Queen is at Buckingham, Windosr Castle, or Balmoral Castle it changes.

Yes, it does. But only for The Sovereign. The rest of the royal family uses a personal lozenge (stylized D under a coronet for Diana) engraved on their stationary or coat of arms with the name of their Household residence. The Prince of Wales, as heir to the throne, usually uses his personal coat of arms or Wales feathers.

Yes, it does. But only for The Sovereign. The rest of the royal family uses a personal lozenge (stylized D under a coronet for Diana) engraved on their stationary or coat of arms with the name of their Household residence. The Prince of Wales, as heir to the throne, usually uses his personal coat of arms or Wales feathers.

Ahh, thank you! :flowers:.

So does the Queen always use proper address in her letters, or only to other Heads of States? Such as "Your Excellency".

I'm sure that when she's writing personal letters to other heads of state or whatever, she uses a personal greeting; however, when she's writing officially she'd use people's formal titles.

Since The Queen is a constitutional monarch who reigns, but does not rule, I am sure she is very formal in her correspondence in addressing other heads of state, unless they are no longer in office, or she is speaking on a personal note or non-diplomatic issue.

Technically, she cannot say or write anything of consequence to another nation, or their representative, without the consent of the Government.

Last edited:
Here is a response about letter writing from RoyalProtocol, who's having problems logging on at the moment:

Her Majesty The Queen's letters sent by the Private Secretary, Lady-in-Waiting etc. come on paper with an engraved letterhead which is specific to the palace/residence in which Her Majesty is resident. The paper from residences in England (Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle and Sandringham House) also features a red coat of arms which is Her Majesty's personal arms for use in the UK and abroad except Scotland. Balmoral and Holyroodhouse paper has The Queen's Scottish arms.

Other members of the Royal Family always reply (via staff) from their Office, thus regardless of where they are the letter comes from Buckingham Palace, Clarence House, St. James's Palace or Kensington Palace, depending on who it is from.

Most members of the Royal Family have stationery which features their personal coat of arms, however the Prince of Wales has His Feathers and Princess Alexandra has two crossed A under her cornet (her cypher).
All of the coats of arms etc. are engraved in red except The Duke of Edinburgh (dark green) The Princess Royal and Princess Alexandra (blue)

The Earl and Countess of Wessex had a green letterhead from Bagshot Park; this is dark green and flat printed, not engraved.

Each member of the Royal Family also has personal paper which is used for private correspondence, The Diana paper is probably the most famous of this. Camilla has very small ornate paper with a C at the top in an oval garland with a Prince of Wales crown on the top.

Royal letters follow a standard format and are always topped and tailed by hand (i.e. the Dear...., and Yours sincerely....... is handwritten in dark blue fountain pen).

Mrs. Claudia Holloway replies to letters to the Prince of Wales and his family in most cases.

Her Majesty's letters are usually replied to b her ladies-in waiting a few of whom are quite well known. Lady Susan Huessey and The Countess of Airlie being good examples.

Buckingham Palace and the other royal households always ensure their correspondence is perfectly correct. Women are addressed as Mrs. John Smith on the envelope and men as John Smith, Esq. unless they have a higher title.

Try writing and you can see all this for yourself.

In a biography of Queen Victoria I once read that she had the hotel in which she was vacationing in (either Italy or Switzerland, can't remember) order her personal stationary from her London papermaker, with the hotel logo underneath her customary heading.
I found it quite funny, that she didn't simply bring the stationary with her herself. Such a hassle for the hotel...;)

Elizabeth to Beatrix (formal)

Ahh, thank you! :flowers:.

So does the Queen always use proper address in her letters, or only to other Heads of States? Such as "Your Excellency".

ELIZABETH THE SECOND,
By the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.

To Her Majesty
BEATRIX,
By the Grace of God, Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Etc., Etc., Etc.

Sendeth Greeting!

Your Majesty, Madam, Our beloved Sister!

Being desirious of making provision for the representation in Your Majesty's Realms of the interests of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, We have made choice of Our Trusty and Well-beloved Dame Rosemary Jane Spencer, CMG, to reside with Your Majesty in the character of Our Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The experience which We have had of Dame Rosemary Jane Spencer's talents and zeal for Our service assures Us that the selection We have made will be perfectly agreeable to Your Majesty; and that she will discharge the duties of her Mission in such a manner as to merit Your Majesty's approbation and esteem, and to prove herself worthy of this new mark of Our confidence.

[etc.]

:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom