The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #81  
Old 01-30-2016, 02:43 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: -, Antarctica
Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
Not necessarily. We went from having no women at all in the succession to full equal primogeniture within one generation.
That were more due to changes in society at large, as men and women are considered to be equal today, but still there are women in Sweden who changes their surname to their husband's when they get married, and it's still more common that the children get their father's surname than the mother's. The man is still seen as the head of the family, regardless of equal primogeniture or not when it comes to royals.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 07-15-2016, 01:34 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: philadelphia, United States
Posts: 1,843
One question:

An example of marriage between Prince Ioann of Russia and Princess Helen of Serbia.

Who would take precedence in Russian court?

All princes and princesses of Imperial blood were His/Her Highness,while in this example a wife of a Highness is Royal Highness.

Would she outrank her husband and all princes and princesses of imperial blood?
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 08-13-2018, 02:18 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: New Delhi, India
Posts: 75
I have a Question regarding courtesy. So other member of royal family and foreign diplomats are supposed to courtesy/Bow before The Queen. But what about someone from equal status? . Would Queen Rania of Jordan or Empress Mitchiko of Japan does courtesy?
Sorry, English isn't my first language
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 08-13-2018, 02:32 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 8,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenEmpath View Post
I have a Question regarding courtesy. So other member of royal family and foreign diplomats are supposed to courtesy/Bow before The Queen. But what about someone from equal status? . Would Queen Rania of Jordan or Empress Mitchiko of Japan does courtesy?
Sorry, English isn't my first language

Neither Queen Rania nor Empress Michiko are expected to curstsy to Queen Elizabeth II as they are of the same rank as the Queen, i.e "Her Majesty".


GD Maria Teresa of Luxembourg (an HRH) or Princess Charlene of Monaco (an HSH) should in principle curtsy to a reigning queen like Queen Elizabeth II. Most posters on this forum think they should not do it though, because they are marrried to a Head of State. I personally disagree with that opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 08-26-2018, 08:29 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kristianstad, Sweden
Posts: 998
What future royal events or gatherings could we expect in the upcoming years? It could be milestone birthdays, jubilees or anniversaries, and are they likely to be marked and celebrated with fellow European royals?

Denmark
16 April 2020 - Queen Margrethe's 80th Birthday
14 January 2022 - Queen Margrethe's Golden Jubilee
5 February 2022 - Crown Princess Mary's 50th Birthday

Sweden
23 December 2018 - Queen Silvia's 75th Birthday
30 April 2021 - King Carl Gustaf's 75th Birthday
15 September 2023 - King Carl Gustaf's Golden Jubilee
15 September 2023 - Prince Daniel's 50th Birthday

Norway
21 February & 4 July 2022 - King Harald & Queen Sonja's 85th Birthdays
20 July 2023 - Crown Prince Haakon's 50th Birthday
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 09-22-2022, 07:14 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 9,852
The husband of a queen regnant of Portugal could only be titled King after the queen regnant gave birth to an heir. Queen Maria II's second husband first had the title of Prince Consort Ferdinand of Portugal. After Maria became the mother of an heir Pedro V, Ferdinand became King Ferdinand II of Portugal (jure uxoris).
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 09-22-2022, 07:53 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 198
Curtseys in royal circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Neither Queen Rania nor Empress Michiko are expected to curtsey to Queen Elizabeth II as they are of the same rank as the Queen, i.e "Her Majesty".


GD Maria Teresa of Luxembourg (an HRH) or Princess Charlene of Monaco (an HSH) should in principle curtsy to a reigning queen like Queen Elizabeth II. Most posters on this forum think they should not do it though, because they are married to a Head of State. I personally disagree with that opinion.
During the state visit of the king & queen of the Netherlands (few years ago) Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg did not curtsey for the Dutch king & queen, as she is the wife of the head of state of Luxembourg (Grand Duke)
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 09-22-2022, 07:55 PM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingen View Post
What future royal events or gatherings could we expect in the upcoming years? It could be milestone birthdays, jubilees or anniversaries, and are they likely to be marked and celebrated with fellow European royals?

Denmark
16 April 2020 - Queen Margrethe's 80th Birthday
14 January 2022 - Queen Margrethe's Golden Jubilee
5 February 2022 - Crown Princess Mary's 50th Birthday

Sweden
23 December 2018 - Queen Silvia's 75th Birthday
30 April 2021 - King Carl Gustaf's 75th Birthday
15 September 2023 - King Carl Gustaf's Golden Jubilee
15 September 2023 - Prince Daniel's 50th Birthday

Norway
21 February & 4 July 2022 - King Harald & Queen Sonja's 85th Birthdays
20 July 2023 - Crown Prince Haakon's 50th Birthday
From what I understand King Carl Gustav's Golden jubilee will also be coupled with the celebrations of the 500th anniversary of Gustav Vasa being elected king after liberating Sweden from the Danes.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 09-23-2022, 06:31 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kristianstad, Sweden
Posts: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
From what I understand King Carl Gustav's Golden jubilee will also be coupled with the celebrations of the 500th anniversary of Gustav Vasa being elected king after liberating Sweden from the Danes.
Indeed. We have to wait and see the program, but I assume the 500th anniversary will culminate on June 6th, the National Day, that is the day Gustav Vasa was elected King.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 09-23-2022, 11:47 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
imo if changes are going to be made then it would be more in keeping with modern times to not automatically get the spouses title upon marriage, so eliminate the "queen-consort" concept...
Regardless of that, every woman married to a King will be a consort whether it’s openly stated or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAriyeh View Post
LaPlus Belle is correct in his/her response. There's more to this information. Philip, Constantine, Paul, all are Danish princes themselves. They're members of the House of Schleswig-Holstein Sonderborg-Glucksborg (or Glucksborg for short). Greece in mid 1800's extended the invitation of an empty throne to the Glocksborgs. I believe only the royal courts of UK and the Netherlands still recognize the throne of Greece even though Greece itself abolished the monarchy.

I don't understand why Constantine is still "clutching" on something that doesn't exist anymore. His wife, Anne Marie is the sister of Sofia, the previous Queen of Spain, the mother of the current Spanish monarch, Juan Felipe.
He’s not clutching on anything, he was a King before the monarchy was abolished.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 09-23-2022, 12:31 PM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAriyeh View Post
I believe only the royal courts of UK and the Netherlands still recognize the throne of Greece even though Greece itself abolished the monarchy.



I don't understand why Constantine is still "clutching" on something that doesn't exist anymore.
Nobody is recognising the now defunct throne of Greece, but the courts of Europe recognise the position and titles of King Constantine and his family. All in accordance with European traditions and protocol. All European nations recognise the republican government of Greece.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 09-29-2022, 12:56 AM
fandesacs2003's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Athens, Angola
Posts: 5,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Nobody is recognising the now defunct throne of Greece, but the courts of Europe recognise the position and titles of King Constantine and his family. All in accordance with European traditions and protocol. All European nations recognise the republican government of Greece.
Once a King always a King. Titles are not lost. King Konstantine has been and will stay a King. He is just not King of Greece anymore.
People make a fuss about using royal titles of non reigning houses but still use the title for an Admiral or a President, even if they are not active anymore.

Sent from my SM-A426B using The Royals Community mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 10-04-2022, 12:59 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 5,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Nobody is recognising the now defunct throne of Greece, but the courts of Europe recognise the position and titles of King Constantine and his family. All in accordance with European traditions and protocol. All European nations recognise the republican government of Greece.
My understanding is that the protocol in Greece does not recognize any elevated position or titles for the ex-king.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGyamfi1 View Post
He’s not clutching on anything, he was a King before the monarchy was abolished.
By the same logic Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands is entitled to call herself Queen: She was a monarch before her abdication, and her monarchy has not even been abolished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Once a King always a King. Titles are not lost. King Konstantine has been and will stay a King. He is just not King of Greece anymore.
People make a fuss about using royal titles of non reigning houses but still use the title for an Admiral or a President, even if they are not active anymore.
I'm quite sure there would be a great deal of "fuss" if, say, Prince Andrew of the UK were to revert to using the military titles he has been stripped from.

Even when used with the permission of the government, the use of the title President for retired heads of state remains controversial in some countries.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 10-04-2022, 02:34 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
My understanding is that the protocol in Greece does not recognize any elevated position or titles for the ex-king.



By the same logic Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands is entitled to call herself Queen: She was a monarch before her abdication, and her monarchy has not even been abolished.



I'm quite sure there would be a great deal of "fuss" if, say, Prince Andrew of the UK were to revert to using the military titles he has been stripped from.

Even when used with the permission of the government, the use of the title President for retired heads of state remains controversial in some countries.
First off, the now Princess Beatrix abdicated and resorted to using her old title of Princess because the Queen mother title isn’t a thing in the Netherlands. The people who have heard of her knew she was once a Queen and can refer to her in any way, Princess or Queen. If someone wants to refer to Constantine as King, that’s their prerogative.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 10-04-2022, 03:16 PM
theroyalfly's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: N/A, Greenland
Posts: 1,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
By the same logic Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands is entitled to call herself Queen: She was a monarch before her abdication, and her monarchy has not even been abolished.
The Dutch monarchy has different traditions. Upon abdication, Beatrix reverts to being a Princess. Same title she held before her inauguration as Queen and that was also the case to the Queens before her namely Juliana and Wilhelmina. To add, it's also only in the Netherlands that even as Queen, it is customary for you to use your husband's and father's titles. Example: Her Royal Highness Princess Juliana of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Duchess of Mecklenburg, Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld, etc. This wasn't the case for other Queen regnants AFAIK.

Regarding King Constantine II who is currently King in exile, in accordance with royal traditions, is still King. It's what we call (title of pretense and by courtesy), King Michael I of Romania, King Alfonso XIII of Spain, King Manuel II of Portugal or even Tsar Simeon II of the Bulgarians (who even became the 48th Prime Minister of Bulgaria). Their titles however is unofficial and legally disputed.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 10-04-2022, 03:27 PM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
My understanding is that the protocol in Greece does not recognize any elevated position or titles for the ex-king.



I never said it did.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 10-04-2022, 03:55 PM
Blog Real's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 9,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingen View Post
What future royal events or gatherings could we expect in the upcoming years? It could be milestone birthdays, jubilees or anniversaries, and are they likely to be marked and celebrated with fellow European royals?

Denmark
16 April 2020 - Queen Margrethe's 80th Birthday
14 January 2022 - Queen Margrethe's Golden Jubilee
5 February 2022 - Crown Princess Mary's 50th Birthday

Sweden
23 December 2018 - Queen Silvia's 75th Birthday
30 April 2021 - King Carl Gustaf's 75th Birthday
15 September 2023 - King Carl Gustaf's Golden Jubilee
15 September 2023 - Prince Daniel's 50th Birthday

Norway
21 February & 4 July 2022 - King Harald & Queen Sonja's 85th Birthdays
20 July 2023 - Crown Prince Haakon's 50th Birthday
The Royal House of Norway is likely to have a party to commemorate the 50th birthday of Crown Prince Haakon.
In 2023 we will also celebrate the 18th birthday of Prince Christian of Denmark and Princess Leonor of Spain.
__________________
My blogs about monarchies
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 10-05-2022, 03:51 AM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 36,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
The Royal House of Norway is likely to have a party to commemorate the 50th birthday of Crown Prince Haakon.
In 2023 we will also celebrate the 18th birthday of Prince Christian of Denmark and Princess Leonor of Spain.
I doubt there will be any such celebrations in Spain and if there's even a slice of cake it will behind closed doors at gloomy Zarzuela!
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 10-05-2022, 06:26 AM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 6,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I doubt there will be any such celebrations in Spain and if there's even a slice of cake it will behind closed doors at gloomy Zarzuela!

Probably we will get an offical act like the Princess making her oath to the constitution. At last something like this was done for the then Prince Felipe’s 18th birthday.
__________________
Stefan



Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 10-05-2022, 06:32 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 5,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I never said it did.
I was replying to your comment "All in accordance with European traditions and protocol." Greece is part of Europe, so it is not universal protocol within Europe.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things You'd Never Believe Royals Would Do crisiñaki Royal Life and Lifestyle 12 12-17-2017 06:14 AM




Popular Tags
abdullah ii africa albert prince consort all tags america arcadie austria braganza british royal family brythonic assoc. non-reigning houses +- camilla caribbean castile charles iii congo current events death de la cerda denmark duarte pio dubai expo duchess of kent elizabeth ii emperor naruhito espana garsenda genealogy general news grace kelly guzman hamdan bin ahmed history identifying ivrea jordan royal family king charles king edward iii king henry iii king philippe king willem-alexander leopold ier louis mountbatten maria ii monaco monarchy mountbatten need help official visit order of precedence orleans-braganza portugal prince charles princess of orange queen camilla queen elizabeth queen ena of spain queen margrethe ii queen mathilde queen maxima queen victoria republics restoration royal initials spain spanish history spanish royal family state visit switzerland uae wine glass


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:56 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022
Jelsoft Enterprises