Coronations and Enthronements

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In this link you will see the enthronement of Queen Juliana of The Netherlands:

Beeld en Geluid

Go to the right side and scroll down to 'fragmenten' and choose: 'Inauguratie koningin Juliana 25 jaar geleden'.

She spoke the (in The Netherlands) almost legendary words: 'Since two days ago I am called to a task which is so heavy (...) but also so beautiful, that I can only say: who am I that I may do this?'

OMG, I don't even speak dutch, but I cried watching this movie. The tone of her voices, and the picture of the peolpe who are watching her be enthroned are very touching... I am a river of tears now.

Coronation Gifts

Hi! I'm an aspiring children's book writer and I've been working on a book with a fictional monarchy. I've enjoyed looking through your posts to find pictures of tiaras and such! It's a great resource for my imagination.

I'm looking for ideas of coronation gifts. Has anyone seen any information anywhere about presents that any queens have received on the occasion of their coronation? Gifts princesses have received when a parent was crowned? I'm looking for gift ideas from the public as well as from countries.

I'm sure they get loads and loads of gifts, but I can't find any mention of them anywhere.

Thanks!

Well, maybe no one knows? Perhaps I need to explain what I am looking for a little better.

In the book on The Little Princesses by Marion Crawford (Bantam, 1952), she does describe some of the gifts that Elizabeth II got for her wedding:
2 pieces of burned toast (some ladies were making toast when they heard the news and they were so excited that they burned their toast)
a rock (a piece of Snowdon) for luck
a family heirloom lace underslip (apparently many heirlooms were received)
lots of letters and clothing coupons (that had to be returned, it was illegal to give the coupons away)
lots of handkerchiefs, linen, lace, sheer lawn, and nylon stockings

The wedding presents were displayed in St. James's Palace to raise money for charity.

These are the kinds of things I am looking for, but preferably gifts given upon a coronation to a young princess. Does anyone know of such descriptions?

Thanks!

I've looked but can't find much in books and on the web, but I have lots on wedding gifts which may help?

I imagine jewels were a popular coronation gift

Has anyone seen any information anywhere about presents that any queens have received on the occasion of their coronation?

I suppose crown, orb and sceptre outshine all other gifts, so there is no point of giving any other gifts.

I suppose crown, orb and sceptre outshine all other gifts, so there is no point of giving any other gifts.

These were not gifts to the Queen - they are part of the crown jewels and pass from monarch to monarch she does not own them

what are we missing greece?
is there other after 1950

Last edited by a moderator:
1963 - Pope Paul VI, Sovereign of the Vatican City State, was crowned with a papal tiara made for him by Milan. He was the last pope to be crowned. John Paul I did not desire the ceremony, John Paul II had a tiara given to him but it was long after his election and he never wore it. Benedict XVI inquired about reviving the ceremony and even got one of the traditional coronation tiaras taken out of the museum and prepared for the ceremony but was talked out of it as being impractical.

I do not think that Queen Elizabeth received any personal gifts for her coronation as she did when she was married or as she would for her birthday - although I imagine she would have received many cards and letters of support and congratulations.

Although I suppose you could say that the crown, orb and sceptre were not gifts as such, seeing as she is the only person currently living allowed to wear/use them for her life time and they were bestowed upon her during the coronation (along with a number of other items such as a ring, sword and a rather nice velvet mantle!), they were kind of "given" to her. I wonder if Norman Hartnel charged her for the coronation dress (if not then that's a great new gift for a young woman!).

I've got 2 questions based on what I've read:
1. If there is no actual coronation, do the monarchs of that country ver wear the crown at state occasions (eg. opening parliament)/
2. Why do the Prince's of Liechtenstein often pass their powers on to their heri's? Is it so they are ready for the role when they ascend the throne?

In Belgium we have no crown and no order's collar.
King Baudouin wore the day of his wedding the Charles III of Spain's collar.
In the Official Royal Palace we have a huge throneroom, never employed for enthronements or official balls..

I don't see Americans saving money for inaugurations of their presidents and those inaugurations occur at least once in eight years, while most European kingdoms had less than four accessions in the 20th century. If they are really saving money for formal acknowledgment of legitimacy of the new monarch, then I'm not sure how much they appreciate their monarchy.

Quite right. But then again is rather large, and contains far more money than most countries with a monarchy. Coronations/Enthronement/Investitures are nowadays for ceremony which is not a bad thing, being able to watch a monarch being crowned as the next king/queen of whiever country is a wonderful feeling. If you just have a primeminster or church figure declaring you the next king or Queen is a rather pathetic way to start your reign. "Start as you mean to go on"

As today is the 56th anniversary of the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, I was wondering how similar the coronations of today are similar to that of the Middle Ages ? I know that the Coronation of William IV saw many rituals cut in a bid to reduce cost. Has this reduced the prestige of coronations since?

What's the diefference between a coronation, enthronement and an investiture?

That's an interesting question! Well, my version is as follows:

A coronation is the act of crowning a sovereign - i.e. the act of placing a crown upon the head of the sovereign as in the case of Queen ELizabeth II.

An enthronement is the formal occassion where the monarch takes his or her seat upon the throne for the first time but not actually crowned - such as Prince Albert of Monaco.

An Investiture is the act of presenting someone (not necessarily a monarch) with a title or with the robes and insignia of an office or rank - such as a new bishop (who is technically enthroned too!), or a Prince of Wales.

I believe Queen Beatrix was Inaugurated........!

Does anyone else have definitions for all these things?

I think the Dutch monarch is enthroned but I know for a fact he or she is not crowned.I read in the world book that the crown belongs to the Dutch people.

A coronation is a ceremony marking the investiture of a monarch or their consort with regal power, specifically involving the placement of a crown upon his or her head, and the presentation of other items of regalia.

An enthronement is a ceremony of inauguration, involving a person—usually a monarch or religious leader—being formally seated for the first time upon their throne. This ritual is generally distinguished from a coronation because there is no crown or other regalia that is physically bestowed upon the one being enthroned, though regalia may be present at the ceremony

(Belgium, Japan, Luxembourg, Malaysia and Sweden have enthronement ceremonies)

An inauguration is a formal ceremony to mark the beginning of a leader's term of office. An example is the ceremony in which the president of the United States officially takes the oath of office.

Ive Heard The King of Sweden had an Inauguration

It's such a shame that so many kingdoms have abandoned the coronation ceremony. I really don't see why such a magnificent ceremony is being ignored.

So, what do you think why coronations are being dispensed with today?

I don't know either Kotroman, but like you, I feel it is infinitely sad.:sad: I know there are constitutional and parliamentary reasons, but all the same our "progress" in these matters as well as the sad and pitiful notion that all humans are equal...(!!?) are largely to blame for the decline in Royalty and in particular of Divine Coronations as these magnificent Ceremony's used to be. Coronations, I feel should be Grand and Majestic Occasions of Royal Dignity and Authority that are Divinely inspired and inculcate Reference and Respect for Royalty. Besides, what Gorgeous Opulent and Grand Fashions we could then still enjoy as a result.....:ohmy:

which Crown prince will be the first of this era to became King?
i think CP Phillipe of Belgium will be the first, King Albert is so old right now (and not counting Queen Elizabeth ll, she will die when shes 100)

kathia_sophia said:
i think CP Phillipe of Belgium will be the first, King Albert is so old right now (and not counting Queen Elizabeth ll, she will die when shes 100)

Honestly I think Queen Beatrix will abduct in favor of her son first so I vote for WA prince of orange

kathia_sophia said:

How old is Albert? I personally find the whole "dying" thing an awful topic. This thread is about current enthronements and coronations.

MRSJ said:
Honestly I think Queen Beatrix will abduct in favor of her son first so I vote for WA prince of orange

Abduct? Abdicate? Hehe :)

Albert is 77 this year. a dying topic? i was referring to abdication and not death (i only said QEII cause she will never abdicate until she dies).
im sorry, i know this is for enthronements and coronations, but since there isnt any thread for "whens gonna be the next coronation", i put in here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lumutqueen said:
Abduct? Abdicate? Hehe :)

Hahaha :) Silly auto correct ....yes abdicate.....my apologies!

Coronation Chairs

Hello everybody! This is my first post here so apologies if I've put this in the wrong section.

I'm hoping you can help me with some Elizabeth II coronation information. First, a bit of back-story! I'm currently researching a lady named Joan Lander. She was an embroideress at the Royal School of Needlework, and was one of the women who embroidered the Queen's purple velvet Coronation robe.

However, on digging for more information, an Australian article from 1953 was uncovered that claims she also worked a great deal on "the Coronation Chair of State, and the backs of the chairs used during the Coronation service by the Dukes of Edinburgh, Gloucester and Kent."

I couldn't find any information about a 'Chair of State', but I did find that a 'Chair of Estate' exists. Then I got a little confused - in the Queen's coronation were there three chairs used? The Chair of Estate, then King Edward's Chair, then the throne itself? Or have I gotten mixed up?

If the Chair of Estate is indeed what I'm looking for, does anybody have a clear image of it, or know any more about it?

Here's hoping somebody might know more than I do!

Rebecca

Why are the British coronations so big but,Denmark,Sweden etc,so small and fast?

Sweden and Denmark to not have coronations. The UK is the only European nation that still has a coronation ceremony, other countries having done away with formal coronations. The ceremony is usually held a year to 18 months after the death of the previous monarch usually in spring or summer.

The Netherlands has an installation ceremony but the crown is never placed on the monarchs head. Norway has a sort of blessing ceremony but again no crown is placed on the monarchs head.
I believe Tonga, Bhutan and Japan are the only nations to also still have a coronation. Tongas ceremony is largely based on the British one.

Last edited:
Is the coronation truly necessary?

I mean, suppose Charles were to succeed to the throne upon the death of his mother, but then died before he could be crowned. (The coronation takes place a year after the succession, right?)

So would he be King, or not officially because he wouldn't have had a coronation?

Back
Top Bottom