Coronations and Enthronements

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen Elizabeth had a lot of intricate detail on her 1937 Coronation robe.

It is really gorgeous! I personally would have preferred the Robe fuller and wider; however, the detail and the way It was made is really beautiful. I too, would love to see all the Coronation Robes displayed in a row. That would be wonderful. :flowers:

Picture:
It's a shock to even think this many people attended Queen Victoria's Coronation #OTD 1838-

Thank You Dman! Despite the mishaps and lack of preparedness, it was, from what I have read, a Glorious & Gorgeous Coronation all the same.
It was very Majestic, which attribute We are losing more and more these days. In fact, future Coronations I believe will be rather simplified and with far less Royal Pomp & Ceremony, which I personally deeply regret. :sad:

In 1911 a Great & Majestic Imperial Durbar-Coronation took place in New-Delhi, in honour of King George the Fifth and Queen Mary. Their Majesties were acknowledged & honored as The Emperor & Empress of India. The Nobles of India also came to pay Homage to Their Imperial Majesties, enthroned in all Their Imperial Finery. It was a truly Magnificent & Majestic Durbar-Coronation, as I believe A Coronation should be. My Opinion & preference is naturally regardless of the Political opinions & rights or wrongs of the Colonization by England of India.
For Me, it is simply a beautiful & timeless example of How Magnificent Royal & Imperial Coronations were; and as I believe,
They should be.

Last edited by a moderator:
At his 1902 coronation, because he was still convalescing, Edward VII of Great Britain had been crowned with the Imperial State Crown instead of St. Edward's Crown.

Coronation robes and coronets prepared

This is so very interesting for I never thought about the coronation robes before. Is there a book on all of them and what about the same robes for other monarchies? A very interesting subject brought to my attention and I am very grateful for that. Now will have to research it more...Thank you!

M. Payton, At the present time I do not know of one specific book that has details on all of the various coronation robes of all the monarchies through the centuries. I do not know if specific details were recorded about some of these coronation robes.

At King Edward I of England's upcoming coronation, there was a quarrel with his brother Edmund about precedence rights at the coronation. Edmund was so offended by the rebuttal of his claim to carry the Curtana, the ceremonial sword, that he stayed away.

Charlemagne was the first Holy Roman Emperor. Pope Leo III crown him in 800.
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-t...s-schnorr-von-carolsfeld-brown-108727091.html

On May 21, 1612 Matthias was elected King of Germany and Holy Roman Emperor. His wife Anna was crowned Holy Roman Empress and Queen of Germany in Frankfurt on June 15, 1612, two days after the coronation of Matthias. This resumed the tradition of the coronation of emperors' wives. Anna was the first crowned Empress since Eleanor of Portugal, the spouse of Holy Roman Emperor Frederick III.

The Coronation service used for Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain descends directly from that of King Edgar at Bath in 973.

That is very interesting.......what a wonderful way to keep tradition alive and well.......Thank you!

Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
I would like to see a timeline of the enthronements - here is a great link of the latest european enthronements http://www.angelfire.com/vt/luxenthronement/

1950, May 5 - Coronation - Bhumibol Adulyadej, King of Thailand - After the death of his Brother Ananda Mahidol King of Thiland
1953, June 2 - Coronation - Elizabeth II, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, - after her Fathers death
1964, November 12 - enthronement ceremony - Jeam, Grand Duke of Luxembourg - After his Mothers abdication
1967, July 4 - Coronation - Taufa'ahau Tupou IV, King of Tonga - after his mothers death
1967, October 26 - Coronation - Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, Shah of Iran - After his Fathers abdication
1969, July 1 - ceremony of investiture - Charles, Prince of Wales - his mothers decition?
1972, Jannuary 15 - a proclamation - Margrethe II, Queen of Denmark - after her Fathers death
1973, September 19 - enthronement ceremony - Carl XVI Gustav. King Of Sweden - After his grandfathers death
1975, November 22 - enthronement ceremony - Juan Carlos I, King of Spain - after the death of dictator Caudillo Franco
1980, April 30 - enthronement ceremony - Beatrix, Queen of the Netherlands - After hers Mothers abdication
1984, August 26 - enthronement ceremony - Hans Adam, Sovereign Prince of Liechtenstein - After his father passed the power to him
1990, August 15 - a proclamation - Hans Adam, Sovereign Prince of Liechtenstein - After his fathers death
1990, November 25 - enthronement ceremony - Akihito, Emperor of Japan - After his fathers death Hirohito, Emperor of Japan
1991, Jannuary 21 - enthronement ceremony - Harald V, King of Norway - After his fathers death
1993, August 9 - enthronement ceremony - Albert II, King of Belgium - After the death of his Brother
1999, June 4 - Coronation - Abdullah II, King of Jordan - After his fathers death, Hussein King of Jordan
1999, July 30 - enthronement ceremony - Mohammed VI, King of Marocco - After his father death Hassan II, King of Morocco
2000, October 9 - enthronement ceremony - Henri, Grand Duke of Luxembourg - After his Fathers abdication
2005, July 12 - a proclamation - Albert II, Sovereign Prince of Monaco - After his fathers death
2013, April 30 - enthronement ceremony - Willem Alexander, King of the Netherlands - following the abdication of his mother Queen Beatrix
2013, July 21 - a proclamation - Philippe, King of the Belgians, - following the abdication of his father King Albert II
2014, June 19 - enthronement ceremony Felipe VI King of Spain following the abdication of his father King Juan Carlos I
May 2019, May 14 - Coronation - Vajiralongkorn, King of Thailand - After the death of his father
Bhumibol Adulyade King of Thailand

Comming
2019, october 22? nthronement ceremony - Naruhito, Emperor of Japan - following the abdication of his father Akihito Emperor of Japan

tell me what i have missed

Last edited:
There's just a few things to revise and add:

• 1964 March 6- Oath-taking Ceremony of Constantine II, King of the Hellenes
  • 1972 January 15 - Public Announcement of Margrethe II of Denmark
  • 1975 November 22 - Proclamation of Juan Carlos I of Spain
  • 1980 April 30 - Inauguration of Beatrix of the Netherlands
  • 1989 November 13 - No Ceremony but Hans-Adam II of Liechtenstein attended a mass by the Archbishop of Vaduz, followed by a choral display
  • 1991 January 21 - Benediction of Harald V of Norway
  • 1999 June 4 - Investiture of Abdullah II of Jordan
  • 2005 July 12 - Enthronement of Albert II of Monaco
  • 2013 April 30 - Inauguration of Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands
  • 2013 July 21 - Enthronement of Philippe, King of the Belgians
  • 2014 June 19 - Proclamation of Felipe VI of Spain

Last edited:
King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia both attended the Enthronement/Anointing Mass of the Holy Spirit on November 27th ,1975 at the Church of San Jerónimo el Real de Madrid.Members of the extended Spanish RF and foreign royals attended including the Duke of Edinburgh,Princess Grace,Queen Fabiola,the King and Queen of Greece and Princess Irene.

King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia both attended the Enthronement/Anointing Mass of the Holy Spirit on November 27th ,1975 at the Church of San Jerónimo el Real de Madrid.Members of the extended Spanish RF and foreign royals attended including the Duke of Edinburgh,Princess Grace,Queen Fabiola,the King and Queen of Greece and Princess Irene.

The King looks quite emotional as he walks towards the altar.

Yes he does he was the same during his proclamation Ceremony before the Cortes .

Juan Carlos most definitely looks very emotional. The look on his face when he hears "Viva el Rey" is one of emotion and almost disbelief. It's no wonder though considering that having the monarchy restored had been what two generations of his family had been striving for and I can imagine that nobody really believed that he'd actually become king until that very moment. Sofia on the other hand looks cool as a cucumber.

Juan Carlos most definitely looks very emotional. The look on his face when he hears "Viva el Rey" is one of emotion and almost disbelief. It's no wonder though considering that having the monarchy restored had been what two generations of his family had been striving for and I can imagine that nobody really believed that he'd actually become king until that very moment. Sofia on the other hand looks cool as a cucumber.

Yes indeed it was like Juan Carlos could not believe he was king and the Borbons were official restored ,there might also be a personal element too that his father Don Juan de Borbon,Count of Barcelona had to stand aside.

King Charles II of England's coronation occurred on April 23, 1661. A splendid coronation feast followed. Then as the day ended, a great thunderstorm burst over Whitehall. The London diarist Samuel Pepys interpreted this as a good omen for the new king's reign. ☀️☀️☀️☀️

No, not unless the king in question marries after becoming king.

The coronation of Queen Ulrika Eleonora of Sweden occurred on March 7, 1719.

Last edited:
The coronation of Queen Ukrika Eleonora of Sweden occurred on March 7, 1719.
Dear Cyril,

Can We get a picture or Video of the Queen's Coronation, dear Cyril?
That would be wonderful.

Royal Regards,

Queen Angelique.

Queen Ulrika Eleonora was crowned as Queen Regnant of Sweden rather than as Queen consort.
The queen later abdicated in favour of her husband and he was crowned king on the 3rd of May 1720.

Ulrika_Eleonoras_kr%C3%B6ning.jpg

Royal Coronations...

It is really gorgeous! I personally would have preferred the Robe fuller and wider; however, the detail and the way It was made is really beautiful. I too, would love to see all the Coronation Robes displayed in a row. That would be wonderful. :flowers:

Thank You Dman! Despite the mishaps and lack of preparedness, it was, from what I have read, a Glorious & Gorgeous Coronation all the same.
It was very Majestic, which attribute We are losing more and more these days. In fact, future Coronations I believe will be rather simplified and with far less Royal Pomp & Ceremony, which I personally deeply regret. :sad:

Recently, Our Royal Society, The RHS (The Royal Heritage Society) celebrated it's 25th year since it's Inception in a right Royal Fashion, complete with the appropriate Royal Pomp & Ceremony. As the Queen of the Society, I was attired in one of My TRHS Royal Coronation Gowns & Robes. If any of you wish to view a photo of the Ceremony or Myself in My Gown & Robes, please advice Me of the same, and I will post it/them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom