Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would I curtsey to Camilla? Yes -- as a sign of deference to her seniority and rank over me in age AND station in life. I was raised to be polite. As for Cherie Blair, who did she think she was fooling, acting Bolshie when she was married to Mr. Establishment-Dressed-In-Labour-Clothes? Please.

To me, curtseying has less to do with how I personally feel about someone and more to do with their rank. I'm sure some women through history have curtsied to those whom they hated more than poison but still outranked them.

Anyway...

From the BBC - Stella, youger sister of Kathy Houston, curtsies to the Duchess of Kent at Royal Alexandra School, 1943.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/berkshire/history/images/kathyalexschool_main.jpg

National Museum of Australia, Canberra - Lady Being Presented to Queen Elizabeth II at a Garden Party, 1954

https://www.nma.gov.au/shared/libra...ey/files/3514/A1773_RV1416A, Curstey 1954.jpg

Archives of Ontario - Mrs. McKay curtsies to Queen Elizabeth II, 1959

http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/english/exhibits/jubilee/pics/curtsey_lg.jpg

Would I curtsey to Camilla? Yes -- as a sign of deference to her seniority and rank over me in age AND station in life. I was raised to be polite.
How each of us expresses deference to age and rank differs widely by upbringing, family/local/national culture, and education.
Not curtsying to royalty in no way equates to being impolite. Conversely, being polite does not necessitate curtsying.
I do not know your definition of station in life but I choose Tennessee Williams's, "A high station in life is something earned by the gallantry with which appalling experiences are survived with grace". Indeed, your station may be higher than everybody else's without your knowing it.

As for Cherie Blair, who did she think she was fooling, acting Bolshie when she was married to Mr. Establishment-Dressed-In-Labour-Clothes? Please.
Refusing to curtsy to royalty doesn't mean one is acting Bolshie, and peoples' positions and principles must be mutually respected, at all times.
Baroness Thatcher and Mr Tony Blair were the best things that happened to the UK in the last 25 years. Indeed, there has been a tremendous economic transformation during his tenure and it is to his credit, that he had the courage to transcend ideologic stereotypes and apply Thatcherian neoliberal policies to the benefit of the British people.

Last edited:
Would YOU curtsey to Camilla? | the Daily Mail
Mrs. Gordon Brown curtseys to HRH The Duchess of Cornwall and accompanying article from the Daily Mail.

Well, the Daily Mail's question sounds more like a pseudo-dilemma, the usual media hoopla when there are no real news around.

It is true that when curtsying to royalty, a lot of people also express emotion(s), their personal feelings toward that personage [admiration etc]. Technically, however, curtsying, bowing etc has more to do with paying homage to an office or position one holds, rather than the individual per se.

If, by ideological conviction, one believes that no man should curtsy to another human being [as is the case with Mrs Blair], then she shouldn't and, by the way, this in no way means or implies that that person is necessarily of anti-monarchist persuasion. If on the other hand, one is convinced that curtsying to a Head of a State, the symbol of a State, is appropriate, then, personal feelings should not interfere with this decision.
Curtsying [or not curtsying] should not stand in lieu of assessment, reward vs."punihsment", approval vs. disapproval of a monarch or dynast by the citizen.

Last edited:
Now I know that the UN has said all Heads of state are equal but in private Royal circles would a Grand Ducal Highness or Serene Highness bow/curtsey to a Royal Highness, Majesty regardless of their status in a country?

Even if I'm not one of their subject, I would feel embarrassed to not curtesy or bow at a member of a Royal Family, especially if they are older than me. I think they need to be respected since not all wished to rule and take responsibility of a whole country.

Last edited:
Honestly, even if we don't have monarch, I would gladly curtsey to him/her. I don't know maybe I'm just thrilled to know what's the feeling when you do that. You don't have to curtsey to the president and I will never do that to our own president :p I'm really hoping that the Spanish royals will visit our country then should I have the chance to meet them, I would curtsey. For once in my life I want to experience that.. That would be totally cool!!!

I would feel uneasy bowing to royalty. We are all equal, no one person is better than the other. We are all worth just as much as the next person.

I would feel uneasy bowing to royalty. We are all equal, no one person is better than the other. We are all worth just as much as the next person.

With all do respect how are we all equals? Isn't that why they are Royals and why we are commoners:unsure:? If we were all equal then there wouldn't be different social classes and statuses.

With all do respect how are we all equals? Isn't that why they are Royals and why we are commoners:unsure:?

Yes, but in a majority of societies today deem this notion of "royalty are above the rest" Divine Right as an archaic thought. Sure class and caste systems are still around, but most countries, which have a royal family, bow and curtsey out of respect rather than believing they are lower than royals are.

This whole class system, specifically royalty, eons ago was created out of necessity; which kept order within society. As time went on it became a tradition. Now, in the 21st century some modern societies, with a royal family, like the idea of having them around. Why? Nationalism and cultural identity... plain and simple.

If we were all equal then there wouldn't be different social classes and statuses.

That may be true in some societies today, but not all specifically if we are talking about the super-power nations (minus China).

Do you honestly believe royals are above you in every sense of the word, in this day and age? Do you believe in the idea of Divine Right? I certainly don't. In my opinion, royals are simply born lucky. Born into luxury, not power (at least not anymore) in the true definition of the word. While others earn their way to the top, royals are born there. Do they deserve that position more than us who've earned it? Heavens, no. They're not better than I am nor are they smarter. Sadly, for them they live in a very isolated bubble, which they cannot get away from no matter how hard they try. Does their position that make them special? No, not in my view. It makes them prisoners of; again, archaic system kept going by tradition. There's nothing wrong with it, but by no means are they better than you, I, or Joe Schmo... far from it in fact.

Last edited:
Do you honestly believe royals are above you in every sense of the word, in this day and age? Do you believe in the idea of Divine Right? I certainly don't. In my opinion, royals are simply born lucky. Born into luxury, not power (at least not anymore) in the true definition of the word. While others earn their way to the top, royals are born there. Do they deserve that position more than us who've earned it? Heavens, no. They're not better than I am nor are they smarter. Sadly, for them they live in a very isolated bubble, which they cannot get away from no matter how hard they try. Does their position that make them special? No, not in my view. It makes them prisoners of; again, archaic system kept going by tradition. There's nothing wrong with it, but by no means are they better than you, I, or Joe Schmo... far from it in fact.

I completely agree with this. This is what i was meaning. KingJosh, I could never believe that for example, my best friend or family members are not as equal or better than royals, just simply because they are royals. As I said, i believe everyone is equal and should enjoy the same privelleges and enjoy the same level of human respect and worth.

Oh, and royals are not better then commoners, why would you think that? at least in my opinion!

Last edited:
Do you honestly believe royals are above you in every sense of the word, in this day and age?

I guess you could call me old fashioned or just nuts but yes I do belive that they are higher then me, in Social class and status. I belive that god has put them their for a reason, to rule and it is at his will that they do so. All the chances that the UK has had to abolish the monarchy and they never have now call me crazy but I personaly think it's cuase god won't allow it.

Does their position that make them special?

In my opinion it does, she is just as special as any other Head of State. another thing that makes them special is that the royal family has been around for centuries much longer then most democracies. What makes the position of being Royal special is that it can't be earned or bought.

I could never believe that for example, my best friend or family members are not as equal or better than royals, just simply because they are royals.

I'm not trying to say that the Royal Families are better then me i'm saying they are above me, if that makes sense

I guess it's all in how you look at it or how you've been brought up.

Last edited:
I belive that god has put them their for a reason

I believe 'accident' by birth has put them where they are, or, a change in succession.

Unless God slides down on what must be a very long balustrade, I can't see how his will, can make or break the British monarchy when in England, you have an entirely diverse religious ideology.

Though associated to state through all succeeding monarchs since King Henry VIII being Supreme Governor's of the Mother Church of the worldwide Anglican Communion, does not, in my opinion, make the institution's fundamental being any devine right.

Though while they may feel, and the Queen certainly does, that her relationship with God is of the utmost importance, and has a sound relationship with the Lord, I would stop short of saying Elizabeth thinks herself God's worldly representative. I mean, she may, but to what extent is questionable.

To say God won't allow it is not something I'd expect the almighty to do. He lays the foundation's, though it is us who pave the way.

Last edited:
me honestly, i have respect for heads of state. but i would never curtsy to them. i wont curtsy to my president so why would i cursty to someone elses head of state. i would show them respect by addressing them with "you majesty or your highness". if anything they should bow to us cuz we pay their wages lol

Now I know that the UN has said all Heads of state are equal but in private Royal circles would a Grand Ducal Highness or Serene Highness bow/curtsey to a Royal Highness, Majesty regardless of their status in a country?

All heads of state are equal. His Serene Highness Prince Albert of Monaco would not bow to His Royal Highness Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg who would not bow to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II who would not curtsey to His Imperial Majesty Emperor Akihito, etc etc.

I have questioned whether or not His Royal Highness Prince Andrew would bow to His Imperial Highness Prince Akishino, or a similar pairing, but I have not found a satisfactory answer. In theory, the answer is yes, but in practice I don't know.

All heads of state are equal. His Serene Highness Prince Albert of Monaco would not bow to His Royal Highness Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg who would not bow to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II who would not curtsey to His Imperial Majesty Emperor Akihito, etc etc.

I have questioned whether or not His Royal Highness Prince Andrew would bow to His Imperial Highness Prince Akishino, or a similar pairing, but I have not found a satisfactory answer. In theory, the answer is yes, but in practice I don't know.

Thank you for the answer kimebear.

I think that they only royal person that I would curtsy to is Queen Elizabeth II. I don’t know why but for some reason it would feel wrong not to :lol:

Last edited:
Another question, does a born royal have to bow, curtsey to a married into royal if he/she is of higher presedence? Ie does princess Benedickte have to curtsey to CP Mary? or even QSonja?

i believe so. at the moment, she wouldn't have to curtsy cp mary, because they are both HRH, the princess. she would ave to curtsy to queen sonja and also to mary (i think) when/if she becomes queen. weird, i know. i also though about it myself a long time ago. i think it should still remain that royals born in royalty shouldn't curtsy royals married into royalty (unless they want to), whatever their status is. i find it completely awkward.

i believe so. at the moment, she wouldn't have to curtsy cp mary, because they are both HRH, the princess. she would ave to curtsy to queen sonja and also to mary (i think) when/if she becomes queen. weird, i know. i also though about it myself a long time ago. i think it should still remain that royals born in royalty shouldn't curtsy royals married into royalty (unless they want to), whatever their status is. i find it completely awkward.

The bow or curtsey is really to the position, not the person. Benedikte will curtsey to her queen, not to Mary herself in an official capacity. Generally speaking though, the royal families do not bow/curtsey to each other in private life. I read once that Queen Elizabeth II used to have to curtsey to her grandfather before she could run to him for a hug. I don't know how true that story is though.

I would address them as your majesty or your royal highness or whatever their style they hold but I would not bow or curstey to them being I am not one of their subjects.

I would address them as your majesty or your royal highness or whatever their style they hold but I would not bow or curstey to them being I am not one of their subjects.

One bows or curtseys as a measure of respect to the office, not the current holder of it. While historically it was about showing subservience, nowadays it is about respect, and it would be thoroughly gauche and boorish to refuse to do so.

One bows or curtseys as a measure of respect to the office, not the current holder of it. While historically it was about showing subservience, nowadays it is about respect, and it would be thoroughly gauche and boorish to refuse to do so.

I would show respect by shaking their hand rather than a bow or curstey.
My respect is different towards them than yours and that is just the way it is.

Last edited:
I would show respect by shaking their hand rather than a bow or curstey.
My respect is different towards them than yours and that is just the way it is.

One only shakes a sovereign's hand if it is offered.

Look at it this way:

In theatre, one shows respect by applauding.
In graveyards, one shows respect with quietness.
In the armed forces, one shows respect by saluting.
With royalty, one shows respect by bowing or curtseying.

It's all a matter of context, and while HM would never indicate in the slightest that she felt you were being rude, it really is inexcusably gauche to refuse to show respect in the appropriate way.

I know I should only extend my hand upon them giving their hand first.
I am showing respect if they extend their hand to me I will humbly shake
their hand and might tilt my head but I still not not bow or curstey.

In other words, you don't actually wish to show them respect in the appropriate way. That's your prerogative of course, but it's unspeakably rude.

In other words, you don't actually wish to show them respect in the appropriate way. That's your prerogative of course, but it's unspeakably rude.

In your opinion that is disrespect to them not all royals see it that way you not
have to bow or cursety it depends on the person and the country.

...but it's unspeakably rude.

As is being intolerant without cause or justification.

Curtsy or bow to whomever or whatever you like, though to chastise another because they do not share your view or the view of what really is an aristocratic observance, by origin, does not in turn make their jugdement or conviction any less warranted than your own.

In nowadays, it is an indaviduals personal decision if they wish to bow or curtsy to a reigning monarch or any member of their family. Upon briefing when awaiting an audience with the HM Queen Elizabeth II, those admitted into the presence are always advised (never told) that if you feel it appropriate, a bow or curtsy (bob) from the knee for the ladies or a bow from the neck by the gentleman is acceptable.

HM Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands does not observe such reverance (though if shown it, I'm sure is more than tolerant of it), and her mother, the late Princess Juliana abhorred it.

Though still customary in Denmark, it is just as common for HM Queen Margrethe II to greet and be greeted with a handshake. The same with her cousin, HM King Carl XVI Gustav and their good friend and relative, HM King Harald V.

It's not impolite, rather, is an entirely acceptable form of greeting at court and throughout society in general.

Last edited:
In your opinion that is disrespect to them not all royals see it that way you not have to bow or cursety it depends on the person and the country.
I would have to assume that should you ever be in a position where a bow or a curtsey is de rigiour, you would be there by choice. And, having made that choice, it would be incumbent on you to follow the dictates of good manners.

Even the wife of the French President did not find it demeaning to curtsey to HM QEII. It showed respect and followed the dictates of exquisite good manners on that occasion. To do otherwise would have been, to quote PrinceOfCanada, unspeakably rude.

Back
Top Bottom