Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
British Royal Family Curtseying

late Diana,Princess of Wales
she curtseying to HM Queen Elizabeth II at her own wedding day in July 29, 1981

the woman cursteying to Princess Diana for attend to National Hospital For Neurology And Neurosurgery In London in March 6,1996

if you would add more curtseying of British Royal Family but im search over that Getty Images but only of Princess Diana that it!

a graceful curtsey by Princess Srirasmi of Thailand, wife of Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn, when greeting the Malaysian King & Queen on May 11, 2006

(from ANP-EPA)

This is a very special, and lovely, kind of curtseying from Thai Princess Sirindhorn to HM the Queen of Spain.
Picture by Getty Images.

I once read that Mrs Blair always refused to curtsey in front of the Queen.
The Queen apparently took this rather calmy and wasn't offended, more over she is said to have joked: " I can almost sense Mrs. Blairs knees stiffen, when I enter the room":D

fee said:
I once read that Mrs Blair always refused to curtsey in front of the Queen.
The Queen apparently took this rather calmy and wasn't offended, more over she is said to have joked: " I can almost sense Mrs. Blairs knees stiffen, when I enter the room":D

I knew the story but I find it so funny, poor Sherry Blair it's her who was/is ridiculous. May be the reason it's because she is so awckward that she is risquing to fall down :p :p :p

How funny!!! Is this somewhat real though?

The caption reads: "The Infanta Cristina curtseying before Farah Diba, guest at the Gala evening". Picture by Getty Images.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't that the gala the evening before Cristina's wedding?

You're right Ms Griffin, that was the gala celebration in Barcelona previous to Cristina's wedding.

MM's curtesies are one of the best! Totally deep, and graceful.

I like the way Mette does curtesy looks very ellegant. I just wonder how is the most proper way in doing curtesy?, is there any different way of curtesies in different country.

Here's a new one of princess Maxima curtseying to the Queen of Thailand. It's a rare sight...

Pic from thaiphotocenter, originally posted by p_p in King Bhumibol's jubilee thread.

Do the BRF curtsey to each other. I know they do to the Queen, but would Sophie custsey to Camilla or Princess Michael to Sophie?

msleiman said:
Do the BRF curtsey to each other. I know they do to the Queen, but would Sophie custsey to Camilla or Princess Michael to Sophie?

i believe they do curtsey to one another however, i've read that they will let one another know when they wish another family member not to.

Margrethe II said:
Credit: Nettavisen

HRH the Crown Princess of Norway performs the loveliest execution of curtsies I have ever seen.

They truely are so poised & elegant.

"MII"

Allow me Margrethe II to say that I absolutely agree with you; and I think what makes her (MM) curtsies so perfect is the fact it is so deep (somehow when a curtsey is not deep enough I tend to imagine that the Lady drop something while saluting) and that she doesn't lean her weight on the other person hand or arm... she balances her weight and her curtsey so well and naturally that nothing ruins the effect. In Mette-Marit curtsey seems a dance step!

Regards,
mtbcm :)

Duchess said:
a custom, that is completely harmless and that some people prefer to practice, isn't demeaning and insulting. it's a way to show respect for our monarch. if you choose not to do it, it's perfectly acceptable but please don't call it demeaning and insulting.

Very true, for one who lives under a monarchy.

But I'm sure a majority of Americans will not and would not bow to any living royal. Not meaning to sound rude, but I wouldn't, even though I consider myself a royal watcher.

GlitteringTiaras said:

But I'm sure a majority of Americans will not and would not bow to any living royal. Not meaning to sound rude, but I wouldn't, even though I consider myself a royal watcher.

I'm sure for the majority of American people that you are right.

But, you know, the WASP, for example are sometimes more strict for the courtesy towards the eldest than in Europe, and they courtesy exactly as we are doing it in Europe the living royal for the specific occasions when we are doing it.

I add that in some families, in France for instance, in GB too, we have yet some rules of courtesy as the " kiss hand " which is very refined way to greet a woman, even in a family where it's very respectul for a son to greet his mother like that . It's at all anachronic and I can say it's very elegant way to do.

I can add again that some Americain people in a some international circles , as diplomatic one, do the " Kiss hand ".:)

While I agree most Americans would probably not curtsey or bow, I'm reminded of Jackie Kennedy. When she and her husband visited Britain, she tried to curtsey to the Duke of Edinburgh, and was told by an aide that the wives of heads of state never curtsey. However, some time later, at the funeral of her husband, at which the Duke was present, she again curtseyed to him, and when he asked, she told him she was no longer the wife of a head of state.

Mrs Kennedy also curtsied to The Queen when the JFK memorial was unveiled.

Madame Chirac also curtsies to all sovereigns and consorts while The President Jaques Chirac bows.

GlitteringTiaras said:

My point exactly. Actually, the majority of Americans wonder why there are still monarchies left and why on earth ppl are willing to pay for them. But that is a topic for another thread. As for the curtseying, I look at it as a show of respect. And just because you are fortunate enough to be born/marry into a royal family does not automatically garner respect. In my eyes, a person has to EARN respect. I'd be more apt to bow before Sir Geldof than some royal who feels it's their birthright. Just MO.

Do the German royal/princely families curtsey to each other? Technically, a HRH is higher than a HSH; does that matter? I have seen many German Royals/Princes bow/curtsey to Kings/Queens, which is correct; but amongst themselves, what do they do?

michelleq said:
Do the German royal/princely families curtsey to each other? Technically, a HRH is higher than a HSH; does that matter? I have seen many German Royals/Princes bow/curtsey to Kings/Queens, which is correct; but amongst themselves, what do they do?
In private they probably comply with their own protocols and extend the age-old courtesies, as this is what makes them different and sets them apart from everyone else. HRH over HSH matters, but it also depends on the position of the person. eg HSH The Prince of Liechtenstein would be curtsied to by an "ordinary" HRH Princess because he is a Head of State.

Britney Spears said:
I do we have to bow dawn to them we aint there people.
Nothing is compulsory; some choose to bow or curtsey, and some don't. Just as no one is forced to shake hands, air kiss, or rub noses.

Olka said:
I suppose it's a matter of respect, as the national/royal flag is a symbol.
About curteysing to the monarch, as far as I remember one of the Dutch queens (Wilhelmina or Juliana....I don't remember..maybe Juliana...) eliminated the ritual of curteysing in the Dutch Royal Court, I read something about that somewhere. That's why the princesses at the Dutch court do not do that in front of the Queen. I don't know if they do it to other Queens and Kings, it would be interesting to know.:)

It was probably Juliana, because Wilhelmina was sternly royal and majestic while Juliana didn't even like being addressed as royalty because she was very down-to-earth.

Back
Top Bottom