Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lady Louise curtsying and James, Viscount Severn bowing to the coffin

AA11Pj6F.img

I was watching the BBC news online and they kept switching camera views; I didn't see Andrew bow either, but I'm positive he did.
Yes he did; he nodded his head.
Tim didn’t bow.
I cannot believe that he didn't but I also think he had one eye on the coffin and the other on his wife who looked ashen and about to crash . . . instead she found that iron will of hers and pulled off an absolutely amazing respectful and loving deep curtsey.

While I couldn't see Sophie, I saw her legs, and dress so I think she gave her best for a loved MIL with her dress touching the ground. Her children, Lady Louise and James Viscount Severn both did Edward and Sophie proud.

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net...1Pj6F.img?w=768&h=511&m=6&x=547&y=9&s=27&d=27

I thought the Dutch don’t bow or curtsy?
Crown Princess Victoria is Swedish, not Dutch. Also the Dutch royals adhere to royal protocol when abroad and accept it from foreign royals in the Netherlands.

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet, so here it is:
Princess Anne curtsying to her mother the Queen's coffin

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...eens-coffin-brought-Palace-Holyroodhouse.html

Good for you, Anne! :curtsey: right back!

If I recall protocol well, crown princes/heirs bow or curtsy to reigning monarchs that are heads of state. Not sure if princes from ruling monarchies have to do this to pretenders (the many former rulers that lost the country in WWI or WWII) or former monarchs (for example the Greek King and Queen).

Don't know if it was here or at Netty's that I read (before I stopped posting in the Forum in 2007/2008) that Prince Charles and Princess Diana had to curtsy Monaco's Princes Rainier and Grace because they were royals and head of a state but Caroline had to curtsy to them for being heirs/Princes of Wales.

Last edited:
Were there any curtsies for Queen Mathilde?

If I recall protocol well, crown princes/heirs bow or curtsy to reigning monarchs that are heads of state. Not sure if princes from ruling monarchies have to do this to pretenders (the many former rulers that lost the country in WWI or WWII) or former monarchs (for example the Greek King and Queen).

Don't know if it was here or at Netty's that I read (before I stopped posting in the Forum in 2007/2008) that Prince Charles and Princess Diana had to curtsy Monaco's Princes Rainier and Grace because they were royals and head of a state but Caroline had to curtsy to them for being heirs/Princes of Wales.

But the Monaco royals are only His/Her Serene Highnesses.

Rainier III was a Princely Head of State and Grace was his Consort. Lady Diana Spencer was required to curtsey and she did.

But Charles greeted Princess Grace with an affectionate kiss on the cheek.

However, when HRH Diana Princess of Wales greeted HSH Princess Caroline in the early 90's, Princess Caroline did NOT curtsey to Diana. The two young women simply kissed one another on the cheek.

Last edited:
Rainier III was a Princely Head of State and Grace was his Consort. Lady Diana Spencer was required to curtsey and she did.

However, when HRH Diana Princess of Wales greeted HSH Princess Caroline in the early 90's, Princess Caroline did NOT curtsey to Diana. The two young women simply kissed one another on the cheek.
I don't understand why Prince Charles did not bow to Princess Grace, while Diana did, this detail of the Protocol is unclear to me.
As from the then Princess of Wales and Princess Caroline, it seems logical that no-one curtseys.

I don't understand why Prince Charles did not bow to Princess Grace, while Diana did, this detail of the Protocol is unclear to me.
As from the then Princess of Wales and Princess Caroline, it seems logical that no-one curtseys.
According to traditional royal protocol neither Diana nor Charles were required to curtsey or bow to Grace and Rainier. A royal highness isn't required to curtsey or bow to a serene highness. Not even if they are heads of state. Caroline (HSH) on the other hand should have curtsied to Diana (HRH).

Last edited:
Does anybod know when the children of the BRF start courtseying (which age)?
TXS.

Does anybod know when the children of the BRF start courtseying (which age)?
TXS.
The eldest two Wales children have been seen doing so already for some time. I can't remember Louis being in a public situation where he would need to do so yet.

According to traditional royal protocol neither Diana nor Charles were required to curtsey or bow to Grace and Rainier. A royal highness isn't required to curtsey or bow to a serene highness. Not even if they are heads of state. Caroline (HSH) on the other hand should have curtsied to Diana (HRH).

Diana curtsied to the Princess of Monaco white she was still Lady Diana Spencer...not as Princess of Wales.

I have never heard of a Serene Highness Princess having to curtsy to Royal Highness Princess. Perhaps such protocol niceties didn't survive the post war upheaval, because it sure doesn't seem to be the norm now..even though I did see newly married Charlene curtsy to the Duchess of Cornwall in 2012.

But Princess Charlene of Monaco, curtsying to Princesses Kate, Stephanie(Lux) Marie-Chantal or Victoria? Can't picture it.

Princess Caroline has perfect manners, both her mother and her governesses were sticklers.

Last edited:
That's what I like with the Dutch royals, including the king & queen, protocol is very simple, no curtsey in the country only with foreign state visits protocol applies.

I have never heard of a Serene Highness Princess having to curtsy to Royal Highness Princess.

In most cases she should, because HSH is a lesser rank than HRH. Of course it also depends on the circumstance and the proximity of the HSH to the throne such as the case with HSH The Princess of Monaco, who is a consort to a reigning monarch and therefore equal with every other royal consort regardless.

Even in the BRF there are theoretically rules about which HRH members of the family curtsy to others, depending on who is in the room at the time, although I don't remember seeing photos where this protocol was actually observed.

Caroline should absolutely have curtsied to Diana as HRH The Princess of Wales and it's en etiquette faux pas not to have.

So, technically Princess Charlene should curtsey to her sister in law HRH Princess Caroline of Hanover and to her niece HRH Princess Alexandra of Hanover?

Even though, as the Consort, she outranks them??:sad:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom