Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^ The 'convention' has been [and is], to bow or curtsey to HMQ [and the DoE, when present] on first seeing them.
It has never been usual to do so to other HRH's - even when they are heirs, as their rank [HRH] is technically the same.
I have never seen that done, although Pranter thinks it has been..

That it was done yesterday looks very like 'PR theatrics' aimed solely at Public opinion, by someone who regards that as 'all important'..

Last edited:
Nah, I don't think so. Zara and Peter don't have titles or HRHs and they don't, so I'd say that's just not required. To the Queen and Prince Philip, for sure, the rest of the BRF, doubtful.

Could you - or someone else - point me to an example of Meghan curtseying to Prince Charles or Camilla? (Other than this, of course?) I find it a bit weird, first I thought her timing was just off and she was curtseying to HMQ, but then I went back and we clearly see her doing it twice. I don't remember any other occasion when she - or Harry - did that.

If you look at the same event last year you will see Meghan curtsey to Charles but not Camilla. I think there was another event but I just cannot recall the details.

If you look at the same event last year you will see Meghan curtsey to Charles but not Camilla. I think there was another event but I just cannot recall the details.

Here’s the video; around 7:52 is the small curtsy to Charles:

^ The 'convention' has been [and is], to bow or curtsey to HMQ [and the DoE, when present] on first seeing them.
It has never been usual to do so to other HRH's - even when they are heirs, as their rank [HRH] is technically the same.
I have never seen that done, although Pranter thinks it has been..

That it was done yesterday looks very like 'PR theatrics' aimed solely at Public opinion, by someone who regards that as 'all important'..

That is correct, that is why there have been incorrect comments in the past when it appears that certain members of the family have been disrespectful when the reality is that these individuals have seen the queen earlier in The day.

I do wonder, though, what the reasoning is behind it since it doesn't appear that it's something that's expected like it would be for the Queen and the DoE. I know we saw a couple of occasions when it was very clear that Harry said something like "now" or "curtsey" and even one when she appeared to ask him "now? or do it now?" or something like that. So I do have to wonder if she's simply never really gotten the hang of who she's supposed to curtsey to or if there's some reason that she thinks she's supposed to curtsey to Charles or what the issue is.

This pic shows how it is done properly...:)
.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I agree Warren. In the old days Royal Protocol was observed properly and with real respect. I rather wish it was still that way. Thank you Warren.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve noticed that no one’s posted in this thread for months, and I don’t want it to get lost in the rubble.

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge curtseys to Queen Elizabeth II

Royal Protocol...

I’ve noticed that no one’s posted in this thread for months, and I don’t want it to get lost in the rubble.

Dear Sarah,

I agree, it would be a shame to lose this thread. I will endeavor to post some information on Royal Protocol that We have introduced in Our Royal Hermitage. The Hermitage advances Royalty and the Monarchy, but also organizes Historical Royal Re-Enactments, mainly of the 17th, 18th & 19th centuries. Especially in the 17th & 18th Centuries, Royal Protocol was gorgeous and very strictly adhered to.

Loving & Royal Regards,

HRM Queen Angelique.

Last edited:
:previous: Interestingly it seems that European royalty do a deep curtsey while the BRF just do a small bob. It reminds me of seeing historical movies and TV where the house maids say "yes ma'am" bob and scurry away. :lol::lol:

Does heads of states such as Albert of Monaco and Hans Adam of Liechtenstein have to bow to HM or HRH?

:previous: Interestingly it seems that European royalty do a deep curtsey while the BRF just do a small bob. It reminds me of seeing historical movies and TV where the house maids say "yes ma'am" bob and scurry away. :lol::lol:

Good point. I've never noticed that before but I'm sure I'll never miss it now. And always have that mental image.

Does heads of states such as Albert of Monaco and Hans Adam of Liechtenstein have to bow to HM or HRH?

No. Heads of State (and their spouses) do not curtsey or bow to any King or Queen. In essence, Prince Albert II of Monaco is considered the same as HM Queen Elizabeth II.

I remember a few years ago Princess Charlene of Monaco curtsied to Prince Charles, when she wasn't required to, as she is a spouse of a Head of State. It looks like she did it out of respect.

A very nice video from YouTube, related to the danish royal weddings of the last century's.

Have a look around min 3.20, when then Princess Anne-Marie from Denmark weds reigning King Konstantine of Greece. She walks down the aisle with her father, arriving to the groom she curtseys to him (normal, she is Royal Highness and he is Majesty).
Then side by side they turn in front of the invitees, she curtseys and he bows, they both do it twice. For AM is normal, but the King has not to do it.
Is it a sign of respect to his mother and his future parents in-law? As they are all Majesty?
Is it a sign of respect toward all the present Kings and Queens? As despite he is a reigning King, he is 24 years old and he should be the youngest ?

A very nice video from YouTube, related to the danish royal weddings of the last century's.

Have a look around min 3.20, when then Princess Anne-Marie from Denmark weds reigning King Konstantine of Greece. She walks down the aisle with her father, arriving to the groom she curtseys to him (normal, she is Royal Highness and he is Majesty).
Then side by side they turn in front of the invitees, she curtseys and he bows, they both do it twice. For AM is normal, but the King has not to do it.
Is it a sign of respect to his mother and his future parents in-law? As they are all Majesty?
Is it a sign of respect toward all the present Kings and Queens? As despite he is a reigning King, he is 24 years old and he should be the youngest ?

How did she learn how to curtsy so deeply?

That's the way they curtsied in royal circles back then. Her mother for instance curtsied so low in front of her husband's coffin that she was almost sitting on the floor.

This generation if royals learned to curtsey almost in same time she learned to walk like a child.
Don't forget also that there was a young athletic girl 18 years old, who also probably had ballet courses also.

Bowing & Curtsying...

What a gorgeous Video, and I SO agree with what you said about Princess Anne-Marie. She does show Her affection & respect by curtsying so beautifully again & again.. I must say, I absolutely LOVE Her Gown & the wonderful Royal Train...

Agree. She is delicate and beautiful like a fairy.
Queen Anne-Marie was and still is a precious gem for the Greek throne and the whole country.
What a gorgeous Video, and I SO agree with what you said about Princess Anne-Marie. She does show Her affection & respect by curtsying so beautifully again & again.. I must say, I absolutely LOVE Her Gown & the wonderful Royal Train...

Anne-Marie was so poised and composed and elegant..a true princess.

It's hard to remember that she was only 18 years old!:ohmy:

No, they don't, even though they are only HSHs.

Likewise, the Grand Duke of Luxembourg (HRH) doesn't have to bow to an HM.

As you have seen, particularly in Prince Albert's case, a Head of State doesn't bow or curtsey to another HOS. However, Albert always shows extreme deference to HM and Prince Philip while Charlene, much to the chagrin of the purists, curtseys very deeply to HM.

Since she has done this twice since her marriage I can only imagine that both Albert and Charlene hold them both in the highest regard owing to both their age and situation. I know we surmised that Charlene's first curtsey to HM was because she was her Queen for almost all her life.

Neither Letizia nor Mary are royal by birth, and CP Mary was not even born or raised in Europe. I suppose their pictures are not necessarily indicative of how deep European royalty curtsy.

Diana was known for particularly deep curtsies and, recently, in 2017, the Princess Royal was also seen doing a very deep curtsy to King Felipe during his UK state visit. So, I don't think there is necessarily a British/Continental divide on depth of curtsies either.

Diana was known for particularly deep curtsies and, recently, in 2017, the Princess Royal was also seen doing a very deep curtsy to King Felipe during his UK state visit. So, I don't think there is necessarily a British/Continental divide on depth of curtsies either.

Margaret Thatcher as well.

Back
Top Bottom