Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah cool...haven't seen those yet.

LaRae

I would.d hope so! She's had decades of training and practice!

My point was that I haven't seen many deep curtsies like that, even among those who have had years of practice.

Thanks for explaining as I wouldn't have known that was what you meant from your original comment.

Yeah, I should have been clearer.

The visit of the Dutch King and Queen to the UK shortly made me think that T.M. are not used to receiving bows and curtsies as its no longer practiced in the Netherlands ,the last time I recall the Dutch King and Queen getting one was in Spain by the Infanta Elena.

https://goo.gl/images/ZXGXtU

The Duchess of Cambridge gave a curtsy to the Dutch King when she had lunch with him in the Netherlands.

The visit of the Dutch King and Queen to the UK shortly made me think that T.M. are not used to receiving bows and curtsies as its no longer practiced in the Netherlands ,the last time I recall the Dutch King and Queen getting one was in Spain by the Infanta Elena.

https://goo.gl/images/ZXGXtU

They were bowed/curtsied to in their recent state visit to Denmark.

424E923500000578-4694136-image-m-97_1499972184281.jpg
Kate's curtsy looks like a quick bounce. This is where I'm confused. How low do you go? The wedding picture show different levels.

Here's Anne with King Felipe

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/07/13/19/424E923500000578-4694136-image-m-97_1499972184281.jpg

This is the definition of a proper curtsey according to Debrett’s

“To curtsey, a woman should briefly bend the knees with one foot forward. The move should create a distinct bobbing movement, with the upper body kept straight”

Kate’s is bang on

Here's Anne with King Felipe

[url]https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/07/13/19/424E923500000578-4694136-image-m-97_1499972184281.jpg[/url][/QUOTE]

The Princess Royal curtsy seems to have bemused queen Letizia ;)

Outside of formal events (like weddings etc) those deep exaggerated curtsy's can be awkward looking ESPECIALLY in shorter dress/skirts.

LaRae

have a question on the matter of the DEPTH of the curtsy. in The Queen, it's mentioned that "the depth of the curtsy, I leave that to my sister".....years ago, the King or Queen received the deepest one...and so on down the line. any info on this?
I interpret that to mean that the Queen was saying that she doesn't concern herself over the depth of curtsy but that is something that her sister may take note of.

For me, the most memorable and impressive curtsies right off the top of my head are Princess Madeleine of Sweden to Pope Francis when she was heavily pregnant with her son Nicolas and the one a couple of days ago Princess Eugenie to her grandmother.

HGD Stephanie of Luxembourg is also consistently graceful with her curtsey, as was the late Diana Princess of Wales. Diana could nail it in a short or long dress despite her grand height

In all fairness, all of the women I named spent most or all of their lives curtsying and didn't have to learn it after they married.

Of course it was correct for the Duchess of Cornwall to curtsy to Queen Maxima, but I can’t help thinking how awkward the PoW’s position must be. He and his wife are already in their 70s and are still lower in rank than all those new, much younger royal couples e.g. in Spain , Belgium and the Netherlands.

how awkward the PoW’s position must be.

HRH is 'well versed'.. he knows that if Catharina-Amalia should succeed her Father next week, and the Prince was to meet her.. he would bow to her, be she 50 years his junior.. a
‎Sovereign is a ‎Sovereign, be they ever so young.. therefore not in the least awkward..

Last edited:
Theresa May omitted to curtsy to King Willem Alexander and Queen Maxima on all three occasions when she met them during their visit. Not even as much as a bow of the head.

She's not a subject of the Netherlands, so I imagine it is optional--and she is the Prime Minister.

Of course it was correct for the Duchess of Cornwall to curtsy to Queen Maxima, but I can’t help thinking how awkward the PoW’s position must be. He and his wife are already in their 70s and are still lower in rank than all those new, much younger royal couples e.g. in Spain , Belgium and the Netherlands.

If they were commoners it would be the other way round; good manners have always required younger ones to curtsy to older ones.

For me, the most memorable and impressive curtsies right off the top of my head are Princess Madeleine of Sweden to Pope Francis when she was heavily pregnant with her son Nicolas and the one a couple of days ago Princess Eugenie to her grandmother.

HGD Stephanie of Luxembourg is also consistently graceful with her curtsey, as was the late Diana Princess of Wales. Diana could nail it in a short or long dress despite her grand height

In all fairness, all of the women I named spent most or all of their lives curtsying and didn't have to learn it after they married.

Are you sure that curtseying is common practice among the Belgian nobility? As I assume that is where Stephanie would have learned it from early on?!

Theresa May omitted to curtsy to King Willem Alexander and Queen Maxima on all three occasions when she met them during their visit. Not even as much as a bow of the head.

I think Theresa May could have bowed her head when meeting the Dutch royal couple. I know she is the PM, but a little nod to a European Head of State and his wife would have been polite.

Are you sure that curtseying is common practice among the Belgian nobility? As I assume that is where Stephanie would have learned it from early on?!

Good point. Maybe she learned during her years at convent school? In any case she is very graceful at curtseying and genuflecting.

ETA: There was a time when curtseying in Belgium was as common as it still is in Britain...during the reign of Baudouin practically everyone bowed and curtsied to he and Fabiola. It seemed to wind down with Albert II.

Last edited:

And the King of the Netherlands or Queen Máxima could not care less. They are equally pkeased with a handshake. It is really the self-inflicted custom wich made Charles, Camilla and the PM bowing or curtsying, while WA&M themselves most likely do appreciate a normal greeting.

Back
Top Bottom