Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The video
I must say this was the first time I saw her curtseys & I love it! *two thumbs*

Very charming. :flowers: You can tell they have practiced this. She is radiant. He is, too. Nice to see that paternal pride and love. It looks like an award? What was it?

Very charming. :flowers: You can tell they have practiced this. She is radiant. He is, too. Nice to see that paternal pride and love. It looks like an award? What was it?

She received the collar and insignia of the Order of the Golden Fleece from her father, the King of Spain.

Founded in 1429, the Order of the Golden Fleece is the second oldest royal order of knighthood still active in Europe today. The oldest is the English Order of the Garter (established in 1348).

After curtsying to King Felipe, Princess Leonor also curtsied to her mother, Queen Letizia, and to her paternal grandparents, King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia.

Nice to see Willem-Alexander is so used to doing the Continental double tap to diminutive people that he makes it look smooth as silk. William and Harry have a tendency to turn themselves into pretzels when doing the same.

That's adorable. I love the dress she's wearing.

:previous:

Princess Eugenie and Lady Louise were seen doing so as well today:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Last edited:
In certain parts of the south they did curtsey's for a long long time, even during most of the 1900's. Pretty sure the East Coast did as well. Lots of traditions came from the 'old country' to the Americas.

LaRae

In certain parts of the south they did curtsey's for a long long time, even during most of the 1900's. Pretty sure the East Coast did as well. Lots of traditions came from the 'old country' to the Americas.

LaRae

Well I mean today. No one is expected to curtsy to royals anymore.

Its solely a matter of personal choice these days. Its basically a gesture of respect.

expected to curtsy to royals anymore.

It IS 'optional', but most people adhere to it, often a courtesy to what they represent in the Nation, rather than as an obeisance to the actual individual themselves.

Same principal if you kneel or bend the knee to a member of the clergy, or the pope. It's more about the office they represent than the person holding the office.

LaRae

Well I mean today. No one is expected to curtsy to royals anymore.

It depends on the country. In the UK, Denmark and Spain, people usually curtsy to royals at public events. In Belgium and the Netherlands, they do not. In Sweden, people don’t normally curtsy either, but you may see it sporadically.

It depends on the country. In the UK, Denmark and Spain, people usually curtsy to royals at public events. In Belgium and the Netherlands, they do not. In Sweden, people don’t normally curtsy either, but you may see it sporadically.

I've seen countless videos, and it just depends on the person. Not a lot of people curtsy to the British royals well except the Queen.

I've seen countless videos, and it just depends on the person. Not a lot of people curtsy to the British royals well except the Queen.

They normally curtsy to Prince and Princess of Wales too. And the Queen is definitely curtsied to.

If this is the Easter service it could be that William & Kate had not arrived when the Queen had, there seemed a little bit of glancing around to see if they were on their way, glances at watches etc. It could be that simply distracted. Also its likely many of those present had been present in the Castle earlier so would have already curtseyed to the Queen then so were under less obligation to do so again. Or they simply forgot!

If I'm not wrong Princess Eugénie and the wife of Peter Philips did not curtsey? Could it be so? Why?

If they have already seen the Queen earlier in the day they would of already made their curtesy, no need to do it again.

LaRae

If they have already seen the Queen earlier in the day they would of already made their curtesy, no need to do it again.

LaRae
I did not know that it was like this. I thought they had to curtsey every time they saw the Queen
Thanks a lot

Last edited:
:previous: Thank heavens, no! It is actually quite funny when you see them at Royal Ascot when HM is walking around. Beatrice may have seen her 15 minutes earlier so when they encounter Gran, only Eugenie curtseys.

I did not know that it was like this. I thought they had to curtsey every time they saw the Queen
Thanks a lot
Princess Michael once described the curtsey as "hello and goodbye" -first meeting, and when leaving. Otherwise they'd be popping up and down all day...

Back
Top Bottom