Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not everyone can make a deep curtsy, issues like health, weight and practice makes a big difference.

Camilla is not a young woman, she's got well known back problems and she didn't learn how to curtsy from the craddle like Anne did.

The reverence by the Princess Royal is half-half failed, but not her fault. Du moment that she went down her knees, the towering King -as is the use in Spain- brought her hand to his lips. That caused that her arm was almost straight up while she was deep down. In this case the King had to wait for Anne to complete her curtsey, followed by the handkiss.

Last edited:
The reverence by the Princess Royal is half-half failed, but not her fault. Du moment that she went down her knees, the King -as is the use in Spain- brought her hand to his lips. That caused that her arm was almost straight up while she was deep down. In this case the King had to wait for Anne to complete her curtsey, followed by the handkiss.

I agree. It's always men's fault! :D

(Apologies to the forum's men in repeating a well known male sexism as a joke) :flowers:

There was a pic buried somewhere in this thread of Anne curtseying the King and Queen of Norway for their joint birthday celebrations. Same depth. Too tired to dig it now..

There was a pic buried somewhere in this thread of Anne curtseying the King and Queen of Norway for their joint birthday celebrations. Same depth. Too tired to dig it now..

It's on page 22, if that's the one you're thinking of. Any others?

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community

Last edited:
I don't know whether this picture was posted or not.
Princess Anne curtsying to King Harald at Lillehammer.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa4/andrewcs/B15_034362.jpg

Picture from photoshot!
It was indeed page 22! The Princess Royal is a really a hard act to follow, this one is just as deep as her wedding curtsey and that to King Felipe.

She is probably the last of an era where a curtsey is courtesy and doesn't provoke screeds of "Oh I wouldn't degrade myself like that.

Last edited:
It was nice that Princess Anne, Princess Royal curtsy to their Majesties.

Hopefully, Anne curtsies to her parents, and her elder brother, Charles.

I wonder if Beatrice and Eugenie bow to their aunt Anne? I wonder if Beatrice and Eugenie bow to their uncle Edward?

It was nice that Princess Anne, Princess Royal curtsy to their Majesties.

Hopefully, Anne curtsies to her parents, and her elder brother, Charles.

I wonder if Beatrice and Eugenie bow to their aunt Anne? I wonder if Beatrice and Eugenie bow to their uncle Edward?

No, Beatrice and Eugenie are princesses of the blood royal, HRH's alike their aunt and uncles. And a reverence is always optional, never an obligation. For me -a conservative royalist- curtsies better should be abolished. I found it very awkward to see a royalborn Anne going through her knees for the girl-next-door.

Reverences worked since ladies like Sofía, Frederika, Joséphine-Charlotte, etc. were princesses of the blood royal themselves. These times are over. It was equally awkward to see former newsreader Letizia going through her knees for former banker Máxima. Then it has become a vaudeville, a part of the "oh yes, let us pretend I am higher born and you go down the knees for me"-play.

Better do it like Wimbledon: end the circus. I love traditions but these need to have a real meaning. What is next? The Princess Royal going down her knees for a former waitress from Kristiansand?

Last edited:
It was indeed page 22! The Princess Royal is a really a hard act to follow, this one is just as deep as her wedding curtsey and that to King Felipe.

She is probably the last of an era where a curtsey is courtesy and doesn't provoke screeds of "Oh I wouldn't degrade myself like that.

There's also this one; 2:15 into the video.

I have never seen members of the BRF bow or curtsey to anyone other than the Queen, Philip, Charles and Camilla. IMO after the Sovereign + spouse, Heir + spouse it just gets ridiculous

During the Belgian State Visit to Denmark , the belgian guests did not bow , did not curtsey .

Oh that is too adorable.

No, Beatrice and Eugenie are princesses of the blood royal, HRH's alike their aunt and uncles. And a reverence is always optional, never an obligation. For me -a conservative royalist- curtsies better should be abolished. I found it very awkward to see a royalborn Anne going through her knees for the girl-next-door.

Reverences worked since ladies like Sofía, Frederika, Joséphine-Charlotte, etc. were princesses of the blood royal themselves. These times are over. It was equally awkward to see former newsreader Letizia going through her knees for former banker Máxima. Then it has become a vaudeville, a part of the "oh yes, let us pretend I am higher born and you go down the knees for me"-play.

Better do it like Wimbledon: end the circus. I love traditions but these need to have a real meaning. What is next? The Princess Royal going down her knees for a former waitress from Kristiansand?
What a condescending mentality. That girl next door and former banker are Queens or their respective countries meaning they deserve a curtsy more than Anne. The entire thing is a vaudeville show no matter whose blood is "more blue "

I'm speechless to the sheer snobbery of your post. You know this is 2017 and mixing royal blood lines, as in the past, is genetically a NO NO?

By all means lets end once and for all bowing and curtsying:-

1. This is 2017, and

2. This practice should be obsolete in democratic countries independently if they are a republic or a constitutional monarchy.

More importantly lets end it, not because a former newsreader, a former banker and a lawyer (Mary) are not good enough to be queens, but because this custom denotes servilism and should be obsolete in today's European's societies.

And while discussing obsolete, lets also end the practice of some European countries of giving countless "flower bouquets" to royals ending up in the rubbish bin whilst the flower industry in Europe keeps sucking up water resources it can no longer be sustainable by the planet.

You may be stuck in the 1800/1900. The rest of us moved on.

Last edited:
Spanish kisses

Prince Charles gives King Felipe a double kiss and head bob when they meet.
Camilla gives a kiss and curtsy to each.

I notice too that Prince Philip gives His Majesty a head bob. No so for Queen Letizia who is of the same rank as he. See time frame 5:00.

Nice to see the Prime Minister curtsey to members of the royal family

However, yesterday, when she met King Philippe and Queen Mathilde, she bowed only rather than curtsying. Well, it is still better than nothng, I guess.

I wouldn't expect the British PM to curtsey to foreign royals. It's right she did for Charles, William and Catherine though.

She only curtsey to the Queen and members of the British royal family. She didn't curtsey to Felipe and Letizia either.

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect the British PM to curtsey to foreign royals. It's right she did for Charles, William and Catherine though.

If the princesses of the United Kingdom curtsy to foreign kings (remember Anne at the Spanish state visit ?), why shouldn't the PM, who is far lower in precedence ? I don't want to have an argument about that though.

:previous: Not only British princes and princesses. I have a VHS tape from the late 80's early 90's done by a British documentary film maker who visited the Palace of Laeken to interview then King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola. (Baudouin: A King for Europe)

He presented the deepest, most reverent bow to their late Majesties when he met them.

Perhaps he was better mannered than Ms. May.;)

Did Hilary Clinton ever curtsey to a royal? It makes sense for PM May to curtsey to her own royals but it makes no sense ( at least to me) for her to curtsey to royals from a foreign country.

Back
Top Bottom