Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:

Lumutqueen, what do you think of the Duchess' curtsey? I thought Queen Rania approached ready for a European double kiss - and then Camilla pulled the curtsey out.

I give the Duchess or Cornwall a lot a credit for ALWAYS doing the right thing in public - even when it is not expected. She is very old school that way.

And then she shrugs in horror and laughs at how badly her painted rock turned out. :lol::lol::lol:

When are they going to get that woman some proper underpinnings???? Good grief.

LaRae

Rania is a Queen; it was only right and proper that Camilla curtsey to her.

As for the totally unnecessary and entirely superficial comparison to Kate, the only thing those two women currently have in common is being slender and having long, dark hair and being married to men who are or will probably be King.

Rania is a stunning natural beauty, and she has a grace and dignity and serenity about her. As well as her outstanding physical qualities, she is well educated, highly intelligent, an accomplished speaker, and a tireless worker for her causes. She has made a huge contribution to children's education both at home and worldwide. I have the greatest admiration and respect for her, and Kate would do well to emulate her. Hers is the sort of active contribution that I would like to see the British RF get more involved in. It would make them a helluva lot more relevant today.

Last edited:
:previous:
I agree on both accounts with you, Roslyn.
The curtsey was proper, while the comparison insinuated by DM was very unnecessary, not to mention, baseless..

How come no pics of Charles bowing to the King..
Generally he bows to Kings 'properly', but for Queens he combines that bow with 'kiss on hand'..(even to his mom).. Actually William does that 'solitary neck-bow' better than Charles (not combining bow with kiss on hand). He almost touches his chin to the lower of his neck.. Much better than his dad and grandpa..
And BTW its nice to see all monarchs and consorts treat Charles and Camilla as their 'equals'..
Whether its age or 'seniority' or accomplishments or just being British..Whatever..

Here is the one picture of Charles supposedly bowing to Abdullah, although it just look like he's looking at the floor IMO.
Prince Charles Prince Of Wales Shakes Hands With King

Monarchs and Consorts do not treat Charles and Camilla as their equals, we can see that by the bowing/curtseying. Charles is heir to the throne, Abdullah is King same goes for Rania and Camilla, therefore they are not equal.

Lumutqueen, what do you think of the Duchess' curtsey? I thought Queen Rania approached ready for a European double kiss - and then Camilla pulled the curtsey out.
I'm not sure the order of the pictures from the DM article so I'm trying to find a video. It looks to me that Camilla curtseyed as she should have, got up and then Rania went to kiss her cheeks. Which makes logical sense to me. It's wonderful to see Rania embrace Camilla in such a way, for me personally it's like acceptance into a club. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
From the Daily mail pics; it look like Camilla is holding on to King Abdullah and Queen Rania while performing her curtsey.

If she needs support, I think Charles should have held her hand. Prince Michael holds his wife's hand when she curtseys.

I d wait for her to become the Princess of Wales to bow..
Not too soon..

I may be an American but I wouldn't mind bowing my head to The Queen and senior members of the royal family.

I agree with you here -it's a sign of respect if you ask me. Unless I am their countrymen or a fellow royal who perhaps should courtesy, then I likely would not do such, however, I would happily and willingly give a nice bow of my head when shaking a hand.

Prince Luiz of Brazil, Prince Duarte of Portugal and Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna of Russia, as well as other Heads of Royal and Imperial Houses, have to bow and curtseying to reigning Monarchs, or are they considered "of the same level"?

Yes of course they have to - first of all, they where never reigning Monarchs, but just 'Head of House', and if you look at pictures, where QueenEII greets visiting Monarchs from Europe - you see, that they too bow/curtsey to her - as she is the host and the most senior; They do it out of respect for each other - even if they are closely related.

Yes of course they have to - first of all, they where never reigning Monarchs, but just 'Head of House', and if you look at pictures, where QueenEII greets visiting Monarchs from Europe - you see, that they too bow/curtsey to her - as she is the host and the most senior; They do it out of respect for each other - even if they are closely related.

Thank you.

But someone who is "just" a Prince or Princess, like William, Harry and Catherine. They are required to bow and curtsey to a Head of a Royal or Imperial House?

I saw the Duchess of Cambridge curtseying to Crown Princess Margaretha of Romania.

Royal Visit of HRH Princess Sirindhorn of Thailand to Denmark and Norway

Bowing and Curtseying by Danish

imgbox - fast, simple image host

Bowing and Curtseying by Nowegian

And
HRH Princess Sirindhorn curtseyed to HM The King of Norway.

All of them are captured from the Daily Royal News, Thailand.

The news said the princess was going to meet HM The Queen of Denmark too, but I don't know if she did or not, there's no picture about it.

Thank you.

But someone who is "just" a Prince or Princess, like William, Harry and Catherine. They are required to bow and curtsey to a Head of a Royal or Imperial House?

I saw the Duchess of Cambridge curtseying to Crown Princess Margaretha of Romania.

You can see that very well on many pictures ... they are well mannered royals, of course they do it proper.

You can see that very well on many pictures ... they are well mannered royals, of course they do it proper.

So, that means that the Duke of Cambridge would bow to the Duke of Braganza, to Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna, to Prince Luiz, or to any other Head of a Royal House?

So, that means that the Duke of Cambridge would bow to the Duke of Braganza, to Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna, to Prince Luiz, or to any other Head of a Royal House?

I would imagine that it would depend on whether or not the Royal House were actually reigning?

I would imagine that it would depend on whether or not the Royal House were actually reigning?

I don't think so, because the Duchess of Cambridge curtsied to the Crown Princess of Romania, who's not from a reigning House.

Last edited:
Romania/Bulgaria/Greece were recently deposed monarchies, and present monarchs/heirs benefit from the British principle of "Once a monarch...."..But how can we expect William/Kate to bow/curtsey to those Braganza/Vladimirovna/Louis , who have never occupied the throne/never been CP, just because their ancestors long back happend to sit on a throne of a kingdom once upon a time existed on the map...Noways..

Last edited:
Romania/Bulgaria/Greece were recently deposed monarchies, and present monarchs/heirs benefit from the British principle of "Once a monarch...."..But how can we expect William/Kate to bow/curtsey to those Braganza/Vladimirovna/Louis , who have never occupied the throne/never been CP, just because their ancestors long back happend to sit on a throne of a kingdom once upon a time existed on the map...Noways..

It's a matter of respect. Many of Royals from deposed Monarchies are higher in rank than William and Catherine.

Royalty is Royalty, no matter if they have a Throne.

Thats what I am saying, "Royalty is Royalty" holds good for Greece/Romania/Bulgaria, maybe even Serbia/Yugoslavia..
But what is this..Brazil..Russia..France..Hawaii..Now dont tell me about the 300-plus kingdoms in India..No way..They are gone for generations..
I do not consider them as royals at all. Of course I respect the feelings of those who still follow them..They do so because they see a link between their countries long-past history with the present generations..It definitely gives them a sense of pride and history..

It's a matter of respect. Many of Royals from deposed Monarchies are higher in rank than William and Catherine.

Royalty is Royalty, no matter if they have a Throne.

Royalty is not royalty depending on whether or not they have a throne. Former royals who do not have thrones are pretenders to a throne. The BRF does a lot in continuing to recognize monarchs who were once on a throne that no longer exists, but has no obligation to do so for someone who succeeded to the head of a house that no longer exists - especially if it's contested within that house that they even hold that position.

It is one thing for the second in line to the British throne to bow to a king who was forced to abdicate. It is another thing for him to now to a pretender who never legally held the title, or a pretender who never legally held a title and is disputed as to whether or not he or she would hold that title if it still legally existed.

There is a huge difference between the Cambridges bowing and curtsying to Michael I of Romania and Maria Vladimirovna or Nicholas Romanov.

Back
Top Bottom