Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why would Princess Eugenie - a Princess by birth, be curtseying to Kate?
New rules for the BRF regarding order of precedence. If William is present at an event then the blood princesses curtsey to Kate. If she's alone then it is the other way around.

Apparently this was an issue going back to the days when Anne had to curtsey to her sisters-in-law Diana and Sarah due to their positions as Princess of Wales and Duchess of York.

We don't know if the 'private' Order of Precedence excists or not - it's just a rumour afaik. And as they would be in private (with or without William present) we don't see what they are doing. AND the order of precedence means who is to great first etc.

AFAIK no one in the English royal family curtseys to anyone else but the Queen and the DoE

Exactly. The tabloids do this story every couple of years but I nor anyone I know has ever seen this privately circulated order.

The only precedence we can know for sure is what we see when the royals interact with one another and absolutely nothing shows me Eugenie outranks Kate

Last edited:
Let's face it - showing a certain amount of respect for a person who is present in a representative capacity of a head of state is one thing, bowing and curtsying to another human being in 2014 is simply and utterly ridiculous.

It's a sign of respect no matter what. Last night i was at my old high school's Christmas concert, and I saw my band teacher from all four years at that school; he's the head of the department and the conductor of the orchestra, chamber orchestra and senior band (his first year teaching at the school was my first year as a student, grade 9). I told him I graduated from my local college's music program this past October, and he shook my hand in congratulations; and as he did so I gave him a little curtsy (a slight bend of the knees and inclination of the head), I was wearing a gray pleated skirt with black leggings.

HMQ
The Duke of Edinburgh
The Duke of Cambridge
The Duke of York
The Duke of Gloucester
The Duke of Kent

In addition William came ahead of Andrew in the receiving line

So given William now outranks Andrew, I would find it odd if Eugenie outranks Catherine

Not necessary odd, William & Andrew are both Princess by blood. If an invitaion lists only the ladies it should be interesting if Eugenie comes immediately after the Queen and before Camilla and Catherine, or after them two.

Note that all these rules for bowing and curtseying are optional and never obligatory. Anyone whom wants to give a nice handshake is perfect too.

When HRH Princess Antonia of Prussia married Lord Arthur Wellesley, Marquess of Douro, she never used her Prussian title anymore.

Since her marriage Princess Antonia has been known by the title Marchioness of Douro. After the burial of her father-in-law, she will be known as the Duchess of Wellington with the prefix "Your Grace" / "Her Grace".

:flowers:

Last edited:
Royal Musings: Princess Margaret and the Marchioness of Douro

What's the Duchess of Wellington's now being styled? Still HRH or HG?
Thanks in advance.

Legally, she has no royal titles because the monarchy was abolished in 1918, and titles were made a part of one's surname. Friedrich Georg married an English woman. Their children were born in the UK, registered with the surname von Preussen. In Germany, the surname is Prinz or Prinzessin von Preussen.

The use of the Prussian titles in a social connection is another matter.

Foreign titles are no longer recognized for use in the UK by British citizens, since the 1930s. This means the Duke of Wellington's Spanish title is not recognized for the last duke or the new duke.

By the way His or Her Grace is NEVER abbreviated to HG. Always written out. It is also the practice to not style heir by new title until after the funeral of previous peer.

By the way, HG is never

When HRH Princess Antonia of Prussia married Lord Arthur Wellesley, Marquess of Douro, she never used her Prussian title anymore.

Since her marriage Princess Antonia has been known by the title Marchioness of Douro. After the burial of her father-in-law, she will be known as the Duchess of Wellington with the prefix "Your Grace" / "Her Grace".

:flowers:

The new duke's name is Charles. Moreover, she never had a legal royal title. Her legal name in the UK at birth: Miss Antonia von Preussen. Social use is another matter. Nor was Charles ever Lord Arthur: Lord Christian name is for younger sons of dukes and marquesses.

Legally, she has no royal titles because the monarchy was abolished in 1918, and titles were made a part of one's surname. Friedrich Georg married an English woman. Their children were born in the UK, registered with the surname von Preussen. In Germany, the surname is Prinz or Prinzessin von Preussen.

The use of the Prussian titles in a social connection is another matter.

Foreign titles are no longer recognized for use in the UK by British citizens, since the 1930s. This means the Duke of Wellington's Spanish title is not recognized for the last duke or the new duke.

By the way His or Her Grace is NEVER abbreviated to HG. Always written out. It is also the practice to not style heir by new title until after the funeral of previous peer.

By the way, HG is never

Thank you so much for the explanation, Marlene. :)

The new duke's name is Charles. Moreover, she never had a legal royal title. Her legal name in the UK at birth: Miss Antonia von Preussen. Social use is another matter. Nor was Charles ever Lord Arthur: Lord Christian name is for younger sons of dukes and marquesses.

The new Duke is actually Arthur Charles Valerian Wellesley, but goes by Charles. With 1 exception, the eldest son of the Duke of Wellington/the sons in the direct line have always had Arthur as their first name.

yes, that is his full name, but has never been called Arthur. His father was known as Valerian, although Arthur was his first name. The new earl of mornington is Arthur and his three and half week old brother is Alfred.

I think this has gone a bit off topic (fascinating though!) perhaps more suited for the British Aristocracy thread.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

When Prince Charles and Princess Anne of Great Britain were small children, a visitor found them playing a game called "Visitors".
Visitors was a game in which Anne and Charles, at Anne's direction, charged in and out of the shrubbery.
They bowed to each other like state functionaries.
Who would contemplate that Bowing could be turned into a game?

To me it is weird that royalborn Princesses or friends even (Mary) suddely go through the knees... It is a nice honour and it looked splendid.

ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1426606622.767152.jpg

Top!!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando The Royals Community

Nice video, I noticed CP Frederik didn't bow to the King and Queen.

You're right. He didn't but Joachim did.

Back
Top Bottom