Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perhaps this has already been covered somewhere, but why did the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge remain seated when the King of Spain approached their side of the aisle during the WWI Commemorations in Belgium? It was especially glaring in light of the perfect manners displayed by their peer HGD Guillaume of Luxembourg, who immediately rose to his feet when Felipe entered.

Did they not recognize who Felipe was? Any ideas?:ermm:

Would be nice if anyone has links to video of the event to see it, sometimes things sound much worse than they are.
I'd like to think it was simply an error or oversight, they have both been seen bowing curtsying to other royals in past.

Eh...it sounded much worse than it looked. Has anyone thought that maybe they had already greeted one another before the ceremony?

I'm not up to date on royal protocol, but is it a requirement for them to stand each time they are in the presence of someone of a higher rank?

:previous: Maybe they greeted him after because you can clearly see that they are standing next to him... But I'm waiting for more justifications

It looked like Guillaume was the only one to stand, and then just in greeting. Felipe enters, Guillaume notices and stands in greeting, Felipe returns the greeting then goes and says hello to the man sitting beside William and Kate, then goes and sits back down where he talks with Guillaume. Neither William nor Kate acknowledged Felipe, but then Felipe didn't acknowledge them either.

Felipe pauses ever so briefly in the direction of the Cambridges about 28 seconds into the video after greeting the French president, realizes that they don't acknowledge him, then quickly takes his place. He is an elegant, unassuming man.

Seriously...if that had been Prince Carl-Philip or one of the young Luxembourg Princes refusing to stand and acknowledge HM QE II as she appeared would anyone defend them? Honestly?

Was it the end of the world? Of course not. Was it a noticeable lapse in manners and protocol for a couple who surely should have known better?

Yes. Definitely.

Last edited:
Well first off....they'd been just standing 'backstage' with him....would it be necessary to 'greet' him again? After the event you can see the 3 of them standing at at the end you can tell Felipe is speaking to Kate...so....I think people are making this more than it is.

LaRae

Yep, I'm confused as to why they would need to greet him again. I've seen a few photos of William speaking with Felipe at the luncheon too.

As for how I would feel if this were Carl-Philip and Queen Elizabeth, nothing would change. If I felt that he had already greeted her, I wouldn't see the need for him to do it again.

Last edited:
I will say it's kind of odd that Kate doesn't seem to have said anything to Felipe given as she was conversing with the German president before Felipe interrupted them to greet the president. However, given as the only people who stand to greet Felipe are Guilliame, who is sitting beside Felipe, and the German, who Felipe seeks out to greet, I don't think we can fault William or Kate for not standing to greet him - as really, they probably already greeted each other backstage.

If they had already met and greeted earlier I don't think even royal etiquette requires the Cambridge's to rise and greet King Felipe but what surprises me is that when the King approaches and greet president Hollande the duchess don't acknowledge him and looks away. Even in my working class environment that would be a major breach of etiquette. To look up, get eye contact and smile would have been enough.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
I will give them the benefit of the doubt that IF they had already greeted the King of Spain minutes earlier, it was not that big of a deal. But there is no set proof that they did, and as others have pointed out it would not have hurt them to smile, or nod or make simple eye contact...which neither of them did.

If William and Kate had already greeted him it is more than likely that HGD Guillaume did as well. Yet Guillaume rose to his feet when Felipe entered, however briefly.

William looked directly at the King and turned his head away.:ohmy:

FORGET GIBRALTA - AN INCIDENT THAT WILL CAST A SHADOW OVER BRITISH-SPANISH DIPLOMACY FOR DECADES TO COME

How outrageous! What disgraceful behaviour from a couple who should know better! I am boiling over with anger! Just look at the shocking infringements to the rules of polite social intercourse perpetrated by the shameful Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge did not stand for the King of Spain

I’m quivering with rage! How dare anyone ignore the King of Spain! The Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg stood up to greet the King of Spain. It was a delight to see such genuine warmth between two obvious friends. A few moments later so did the President of the French Republic (I am quaking with crankiness that some posters mis-identified him as the President of Federal Republic of Germany! Quelle horreur!) So nobody else stood up? Irrelevant! That the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge did not stand is enough to make me clutch my pearls and hyperventilate with exasperation! But maybe, just maybe, the All Powerful God of Protocol, Whose Commands Must Be Obeyed, does not require guests to stand every time a person of higher rank takes their seat. Perhaps, just perhaps, there is no requirement to stand at all until the proceedings officially begin (unless, of course one wants to greet a particular friend). After all, that is what seems to happen in a church at royal weddings prior to the arrival of the host sovereign. But no, that is not good enough! I will not be swayed!

It should be decreed that at public ceremonies prior to the beginning of official proceedings:
ALL ROYAL PERSONAGES must stand when anyone of higher rank arrives to take their seat. They must also bow or curtsey with an appropriate level of deference. Guests popping up and down like a Mexican wave of jack-in-the boxes are pleasing to the God of Protocol, Whose Commands Must Be Obeyed.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge did not even acknowledge the King of Spain

I’m palpitating with fury! How dare anyone snub the King of Spain? But perhaps, just perhaps, it was not really a snub. The Duchess of Cambridge was politely chatting to the French President when the King of Spain butted in to greet the President. The Duchess suddenly found herself in an awkward position, probably with a sad little comment left hanging in the air. Had she already greeted the King earlier as has been suggested? Is that why she glanced away, to give the French President and the King of Spain a moment of privacy to greet each other? But no, that is not good enough! I will not be swayed!

It should be decreed that, in the above situation, if the said person of higher rank, prior to taking his seat, circulates to greet other guests:
ALL ROYAL PERSONAGES, even if they have already appropriately greeted the person of higher rank in private, must repeat their greeting in public if the person of higher rank comes within a three-metre radius. If necessary, a small wave of the hand, or slight touch on the arm, may be used to instigate a repeat performance of a gracious, warm and friendly, encounter. Guests meandering about greeting, or re-greeting, each other with an appropriate display of restrained, but friendly, public affection, without delaying the arrival of the official party, is pleasing to the God of Protocol, Whose Commands Must Be Obeyed.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge looked bored, vacant, uncertain, out of their depth, etc. etc.

I am throbbing with disgust! How dare anyone look disengaged at a public engagement! Even at their wedding this couple did not seem really present. But perhaps, just perhaps, we should not take photos, or thirty-second videos, out of context. After all, many royals can take on a glum expression in an unguarded moment of repose, just look at Queen Sofia of Spain! Aren’t we just looking for excuses to justify an already existing, irrational antipathy for a person we have never even met? Are we not just seeing what we want to see? Do we take a smug delight in saying, “I told you so” after we transform the most innocuous action into a cause célèbre? Are we, perhaps, wrong? But no, that is not good enough! I will not be swayed!

It should be decreed that at any public engagement:
ALL ROYAL PERSONAGES must maintain a facial countenance appropriate to the tone of the engagement. There are three basic expressions to choose from:
  1. Happy and interested
    Not too exultant, a hearty laugh can be vulgar, particularly if it is loud, sounds unusual, or causes an unattractive snort. It can also lead to accusations of frivolity. A nice smile (not too toothy), a lightly rippling laugh, or an amused, quizzical look are acceptable choices. In her classic novel, Love in a Cold Climate, Nancy Mitford describes how Cedric transformed Lady Montore’s expression: 'I make her say “brush” before she comes into the room,' Cedric explains. 'lt fixes at once this very gay smile on one's face.'
  2. Neutral and interested
    This one requires the most practice and concentration. Some helpful methods include: a slight incline of the head, a half-smile and a nod in agreement, or a thoughtful glance into the mid distance. Anything to stop the face falling into a state of expressionless inactivity is encouraged.
  3. Sad and interested
    A tear or two, discreetly wiped away by a neatly folded handkerchief, is appropriate. No tears may be interpreted as coldness, à la Queen Elizabeth II. Too many tears may appear undignified and out of control. They can also have unattractive physical effects, such as blood-shot eyes, hyperventilating, hiccupping, squeaky noises, or, worst of all, a runny nose. Mourners may be comforted with a sensitively placed hand or ever-so-slight embrace.
Any royal personage who presents to the world, uninterrupted, a countenance of interest, encouragement, or empathy is pleasing to the God of Protocol, Whose Commands Must Be Obeyed.

Who is to blame?
So there we have it. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are condemned as rude and inadequate representatives of the Queen. However the Queen must be unaware of the shortcomings of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge; otherwise she would not let them represent her. Do you think we should tell her?

I completely agree with most recent comments, Felipe appears on stage quite discreetly and only Guilluame stands to greet him, probably because at that moment he is one of few people not talking to someone else. As most people say, they are quite likely to have greeted each other already so really it is unnecessary for them to do so again.
Guilluame greets Felipe as he is about to sit next to him.
To be honest I think Kate & William are a bit uncertain at such high profile events still, Felipe and Guillaume are 'old hands' (yes even though Guilluame is about the same age at K&W) so are probably more at ease and find it easier to go 'off program' at times.

Heu... the man sitting next to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and whom greeted King Felipe was not the German President but the one from my country, M François Hollande, Président de la République. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Let us see it in proportions, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge somehow forgot to greet the King of Spain. I am sure that if, -if-, there was an irritation, they will immediately have excused towards the King. Don Felipe has been at many international events, so many inaugurations of presidents in Latin-America, where protocol often is a mess. I am sure he was not offended by William and Catherine.

:flowers:

I think Felipe is a gentleman and he surely didn't mind that! But you can clearly see that he was waiting for a greeting that didn' come therefore it's impossible to excuse them by saying that they might have curtsy to hime previously!:flowers:

Seems obvious that they met before, can you imagine just a second, for whatever mysterious reason, the Cambridges snubbing the King of Spain in front of the cameras ?
Tempest in a teapot .....

In this instance, if this is a faux- pas which I think it is - but no deliberate rudeness, who, if anyone, would point this out to William & Kate? -Unless they read the Forums of course :) They must be generally well briefed for important occasions such as this, William particularly must be steeped in knowledge of correct protocol. In othere words how do they know not to make a similar mistake again?

Their Royal Highness's The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge greeted The King of Spain in a reception. They properly acknowledged him with a bow and curtsey there.

FORGET GIBRALTA - AN INCIDENT THAT WILL CAST A SHADOW OVER BRITISH-SPANISH DIPLOMACY FOR DECADES TO COME
How outrageous! What disgraceful behaviour from a couple who should know better! I am boiling over with anger! Just look at the shocking infringements to the rules of polite social intercourse perpetrated by the shameful Duke and Duchess of Cambridge...
The best - and one of the few rational - comment on this matter so far. Congratulations! :flowers:

Chubb Fuddler, your post cracked me up. :flowers:

Chubb Fuddler, your post cracked me up. :flowers:
Agreed!!! A humorous look at this week's teapot tempest.

However, I did read that HM King Felipe is sailing this week. I fear that history is going to repeat itself. A Felipe on the throne in Spain. A queen named Elizabeth in the UK. Nothing to stop Felipe from taking his personal armada to do battle with British!!!!:D

Nothing to stop Felipe from taking his personal armada to do battle with British!!!!
biggrin.gif.pagespeed.ce.PPA3O6zL_D.gif

And we'd see him orf like we did his predecessor and namesake..

Heu... the man sitting next to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and whom greeted King Felipe was not the German President but the one from my country, M François Hollande, Président de la République. ;)
I stand corrected. I think someone else said it was the German president, or I misread someone as saying that. I don't know either to look at them.

I don't think William and Kate have committed any faux pas. It has been said many times that the British royals don't seem to interact with the European royals so there may be a reason. Perhaps the Brits feel superior to the Europeans and do not feel the need to show any interest in them unless absolutely necessary. They showed respect to the King of Belgium but then, they were in his country. I really think people are making a mountain out of a molehill. It's just silly and the only place where people seem to care is on royal forums. The general public did not notice and could not care less. It was a solemn occasion and this ruckus is putting a cloud over it. People need to get over themselves.

Kate curtsied to the King and the Queen of the Belgians, and both William and Harry bowed.

Back
Top Bottom