Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's certainly a deep knee-bend, and Juan Carlos kissing her hand is utterly debonair!

I think Diana had one of the best curtsey's I've seen.

LaRae

I love the last curtsey; it reminds me of Sophie's at Ascot, except that Sophie's head was bowed and one leg was behind the other.

Diana's curtseys were indeed very deep and graceful. However, I think that the deeper curtseys look better when the person is wearing a longer flowing gown. Sophie's curtseys are very graceful also.

Last edited:
It looks as if Princess Anne's are about as deep as Diana's were.

Diana's just seemed very natural, sometimes you see people trying to curtsey and it looks very contrived and unnatural.

LaRae

I'm just going to go out on a limb here, but I think Diana's grace had to do with the fact that she did some ballet when she was younger. Having a little bit of that type of training may help in being able to perform a graceful curtsey (though if one has no natural grace, no training can help whatsoever).

You're probably right, Daria. Diana did have a ballet background and I'm sure that contributed to the elegance of her curtseys. Sophie, though, had it down pat and I don't think she did ballet, but perhaps she just is naturally elegant.

You're probably right, Daria. Diana did have a ballet background and I'm sure that contributed to the elegance of her curtseys. Sophie, though, had it down pat and I don't think she did ballet, but perhaps she just is naturally elegant.

In absolute agreement about Sophie. She does have natural grace, and it's very evident in how she carries herself. I know that I would never be able to pull off any curtsey, because I have balance issues. I would end up flat on my rear as a result of my attempt.

Very deep curtsies from Anne and Diana. And they look very graceful doing it.

Welcome to the forums, theodemaxx; thanks for your Thai information; very interesting.

I have some questions:

1. By the modern world, do HSH who's not the sovereign has to curtsey to HRH who's not the sovereign? For example, HSH Prince Maximilian of Liechtenstein would bow to HRH The Duke of Cambridge?
  2. Do Princes/Princesses have to curtsey to foreign Crown Prince/Crown Princess?
  3. I think I have read from the thread, but HRH who's not the sovereign has to curtsey to HRH, HSH who are the sovereigns and their spouses due to the fact that they're Head of States, am I correct?

Last edited:
The pecking order was only put into place because Princess Anne didn't want to curtsy to Camilla. I don't blame her, I wouldn't either. And from what I've seen, Anne does some pretty good curtsies!

The pecking order was only put into place because Princess Anne didn't want to curtsy to Camilla. I don't blame her, I wouldn't either. And from what I've seen, Anne does some pretty good curtsies!

Princess Anne did not want to curtsey to Diana. There is no evidence that there was/is any friction between Camilla and Anne.

The pecking order is updated each time a new member is added to the family. Princess Anne was Princess Royal she outranked Camilla. This same silly story was given multiple spins before and after Kate joined the family.

You may not like Camilla but stick to the facts.

Beatrice and Eugenie outrank Kate.

In YOUR view why is this?

I think it's because princesses who were born into the royal family outrank princesses by marriage. I read in the tabloids that Kate was getting too much attention from the press, and was outshining the queen.

I was trained in ballet and would have been able to do a right honorable curtsey at one time. But now I am older, and also have porphyria, which has damaged my balance. I can walk without showing a problem, but curtsey would not work. So I wonder what I would be expected to do if I were in the Queen's presence? How do they handle older people or people with balance problems? This is surely a strange thought. I won't ever meet a royal, but some who might do so could wonder.

I don't believe anyone HAS to curtsey to the Queen. But you could always nod your head, like the men do, I think.

Mariel1 said:
I was trained in ballet and would have been able to do a right honorable curtsey at one time. But now I am older, and also have porphyria, which has damaged my balance. I can walk without showing a problem, but curtsey would not work. So I wonder what I would be expected to do if I were in the Queen's presence? How do they handle older people or people with balance problems? This is surely a strange thought. I won't ever meet a royal, but some who might do so could wonder.

SLV said:
I don't believe anyone HAS to curtsey to the Queen. But you could always nod your head, like the men do, I think.

I think SLV has it right; no one has to curtesy (if you're from the States, you don't have to do anything). However, a slight inclination of the head is completely acceptable and appropriate. I'm in your shoes; horrid balance (but mine's due to being a premature baby and having a visual impairment), so doing a curtesy without falling, or holding on to something is a problem. Glad we can nod our heads as a sign of respect, should we ever be lucky enough to encounter Her Majesty :D.

If I were to meet a British royal, I would definitely curtsy. I've got a full-length mirror in my bedroom for practicing.

I am of an age where we were taught to curtsey at school. :D I've never had occasion to use that skill, and now I wouldn't even if I could. I think it is a stupid action. If I were to meet a member of the RF - one I respect, anyway - I would nod my head as men do, or give a shallow bow. Mind you, I do the same when I meet anyone I consider worthy of that sign of respect. And, as a litigation lawyer, I am used to giving a shallow bow whenever I walk into or out of a courtroom, so it's not an alien action for me.

Once I have been presented to Queen Sofia of Spain. I did a very very shallow curtsey, simply because I do not know how to curtsey, and the result for a deeper one would have been ridiculous...
I'm a commoner, she is the daughter of a King, and Queen herself, it is normal to pay her respect, I simply do not know HOW to do it properly....

Once I have been presented to Queen Sofia of Spain. I did a very very shallow curtsey, simply because I do not know how to curtsey, and the result for a deeper one would have been ridiculous...
I'm a commoner, she is the daughter of a King, and Queen herself, it is normal to pay her respect, I simply do not know HOW to do it properly....

Wow lucky you,I'm sure you did a fine curtsey,living in a republic we don't get to do too much bowing and curtsying either ;)

I love the curtsy to Queen Elizabeth at the end of royal weddings, especially in that long white wedding dress. I think it's the part everyone looks forward to; though Kate's wasn't quite what I expected.

I love the curtsy to Queen Elizabeth at the end of royal weddings, especially in that long white wedding dress. I think it's the part everyone looks forward to; though Kate's wasn't quite what I expected.

Agree, it was a very nice moment. Generally I think that courtseys are made for ladies wearing long dresses, it is prettier not to see the legs crossing.
I have always in mind a classical scene, from movies from Court Balls, (also Sissi movies) when the KING/Emperor enters and ALL the ladies with their ball gowns curtsey in the same moment, it was magnificent, very gracious.

fandesacs2003 said:
Agree, it was a very nice moment. Generally I think that courtseys are made for ladies wearing long dresses, it is prettier not to see the legs crossing.
I have always in mind a classical scene, from movies from Court Balls, (also Sissi movies) when the KING/Emperor enters and ALL the ladies with their ball gowns curtsey in the same moment, it was magnificent, very gracious.

When Anne curtsied to her mother at her wedding, it was hard to tell if she put one foot behind the other, but then I saw her put her left foot down after she finished rising.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom