Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does The Infanta Cristina always curtsy to her father?

Does Letizia curtsy to Sofia?

Great Pictures ldt20

RoyalProtocol said:
Does The Infanta Cristina always curtsy to her father?

Does Letizia curtsy to Sofia?

Great Pictures ldt20

yeah King's 2 daughters always cursty to dad and also Letizia cursty to in-law also

sara1981 said:
yeah King's 2 daughters always cursty to dad and also Letizia cursty to in-law also

I remenber a pic of the Princess of Asturias curtesying the Queen. It was the 11 of april 2005 for the mass on the memory of Pope Jean Paul II.

But I didn't remenber in wich agency it was. I'm tryng on Corbis and on Cover but I didn't find nothing. To bad because I had this pic but I los it!!!:eek:

May be it was on SIPA.

Last edited:
Do Cristina & Elena have to curtsey to Letizia? I know they will when Felipe & Letizia become King & Queen but as of right now do they? I would assume they would in public since Felipe & Letizia are "higher ranking", but I've never been sure

LaChicaMadrilena said:
Yes, Adelaide, it was Sipa
Many, many , many thanks, dearest friend for your "straight collabration".

If I have understood the spanish protocole the Infantas have to curtesy the Princess of Asturias, even if Letizia is not a PRINNCESS OF BLOOD but may be I'm wrong.

In every case, I have observed,for example, at the arrival of Laureus Prize that the Infanta Cristani and her husband who were the first to arrive have passed behind the Princes before their own arrival.

Last edited by a moderator:
adelaide said:
If I have understood the spanish protocole the Infantas have to curtesy the Princess of Asturias, even if Letizia is not a PRINNCESS OF BLOOD but may be I'm wrong.
In every case, I have observed,for example, at the arrival of Laureus Prize that the Infanta Cristani and her husband who were the first to arrive have passed behind the Princes before their own arrival.
I've never seen either Elena or Cristina curstey to Letizia, and as far as I know as long as she's not the Queen they don't have to do, in fact I've only seen them curtseying to Kings and Queens not even Crown Princes and Princesses; please correct me if I'm wrong;)

Of Protocol

ElisaR said:
1. Queen Elizabeth II meeting the Pope on 17 October 2000

2. The Queen shaking hands with Italian President's wife. She didn't courtsy at all!!!

Of course. She didn't curtsy not just because she didn't have to, but because she wasn't allowed to. WHY? Because, according to protocol and common sense, Heads of State, whether monarchs or presidents, are equal, since they are both, at a given time, the ceremonial symbols of their respective nations. Thus, to the same extent that it would be inappropriate for Italy (the nation) to curtsy to Great Britain (the nation), the respective heads of state (or their spouses) cannot do so either. For completeness, it may be argued that in most countries, there is no constitutional provision for the status of a president's spouse. However, common sense indicates that the dignity and status of a president's spouse is intertwined with that of the Head of State and, indirectly, with that of the nation.
In the above example, had the Italian President's wife curtsied to the Queen of Great Britain, the faux pas would perhaps have caused the resignation of both the President and the Government.

Don't we all need to think before we talk!

crisiñaki said:
I've never seen either Elena or Cristina curstey to Letizia, and as far as I know as long as she's not the Queen they don't have to do, in fact I've only seen them curtseying to Kings and Queens not even Crown Princes and Princesses; please correct me if I'm wrong;)

I didn't said that the Infantas have to courtesy the Princess of Asturias.

I reformulate my sentence, if the Infantas have to courtesy the Prince of Asturias es quality( I'm not sure because they are " Princesses du Sang ")they have to do it with his wife. It's obvious that if the Infantas don't courtesying the Prince of Asturias, they don't have to courtesy to the Princess ( C.Q.F.D)

At the opposite,the Infantas will courtesying the Queen, that it's sure, have to look the Infantas PIlar and Margarita withe the Kings.

http://s2.supload.com/free/letizia-20060529052349.jpg/view/
I don't recall to see brothers curtseying or bowing to their Heir of the Throne. That's why I never thought Infantas of Spain should do it to Prince Felipe or Princess Letizia.

My favourite picture on curtseying and bowing goes to (then) Mette-Marit Tjessem Hoib. When I first saw that picture I thought it as an admission test she passed over 20 :). Everything was perfect - the occasion, the dress, and The Queen she's curtseying to... I remember thinking "There you go. Show them you are a true princess!" and the smile on Queen's face like she was thinking the same :D. GREAT!

As for tender gestures while curtseying goes to Princess Letizia and Swedish Royal Family - I just love the tender gestures that Queen Sylvia and Princess Victoria dedicated her.

Regards,
mtbcm :)

Her_Majesty said:
are there pictures of the Dutch Royals?
:confused:

I don't think that bowing and curtsying is done very much in the Netherlands, not even by the Royal Family.

An other curtsey of the Letizia ( not yet Princess of Asturias ) to the Queen Sofia.

( from weireimage )

Very elegant one, isen't it ?

Last edited:
adelaide said:
An other curtsey of the Letizia ( not yet Princess of Asturias ) to the Queen Sofia.

( from weireimage )

Very elegant one, isen't it ?

I agree it. She is very elegant. I like this photo!

I noticed that the Dutch Royals are curtseying in front of the Flag of Orage-Nassau (???). Even the Queen.
Does anyone know more about it?

Her_Majesty said:
I noticed that the Dutch Royals are curtseying in front of the Flag of Orage-Nassau (???). Even the Queen.

Do you have a picture??

RoyalProtocol said:
Do you have a picture??

caption: Grand Duke Henri van Luxembourg and Dutch Queen Beatrix greeting the flag, Wednesday 26 April 2006 on the Binnenhof in The Hague
ANP

I noticed it on the wedding of WA and Maxima, and also on the funeral of Prince Claus first that all Royal Guest stopped in front of the Flag and "greeted" it. So they nodded their had or made a kind of bow.

Last edited:
I have a question about bowing and curtseying:
is it wrote anywhere how deep and for which leg etc. ladies should doing that?

Her_Majesty said:

I think just as a sign of respect?

magnik said:
I was wandering the same. And do you know why all Spanish ladies, esp. Letizia and both Infantas curtsey much deeper than other royals? At least that was my observation:confused:

magnik said:

I know that there are different kinds of curtseys due to the circunstances and the personality to curtseying, but I don't konw eactly the differencies.

I'm hardly an expert, but from what I've seen, it seems that daytime engagements merit shallower curtseys, while evening and particularly gala events usually are accompanied by deep curtseys. The Spanish Infantas do seem to go lower than most of the others. I think Letizia may be the outlier though, because her curtseys look deeper and somehow different than all the other royal ladies to me. Also, since the pre-wedding gala, Letizia's curtseys seem to have gotten deeper and in my opinion less elegant. I have photos, but I don't know how to post them, so if someone could tell me, I'd be happy to put them up.

Since her wedding the Princess of Asturias had mad few time curtseys, at Jordan 's wedding Queen Noor, very good one; Queen Sylvia of Sueden, deep but not so deep like the Infantas; Empress of Japan very deep court's curtsey:she was right to do like, it' a question of culture( all this pics are in this thread )

As soon as it's possible to well see her curtsy to Queen sofia for the mass of Pope Jean Paul II, it's seem to me a very good one "alla españa "

If there are anothers with pics, please let us scow ! many thanks

I don't think it matters what leg you use and you go deeper for more important Royals.
So for a King/Queen curtsey right to the Floor
for others Royals not so deep in a descending order.

RoyalProtocol said:
I don't think that bowing and curtsying is done very much in the Netherlands, not even by the Royal Family.

And that's the way it should be. Nobody should be expected to bow or curtsy to another human being. curtsying is so undignified. In the Polynesian monarchies women do not curtsy but bow just like the men.

I don't like Letizias very deep curtseys, they look very demure to me.
First time I saw her going down so deep, I thought she had dropped something and got down to pick it up.
I am also not too keen on those on-the-go curtseys, where the legs are rather apart as if the lady curtsied while walking towards the Queen or King.
Alas come to think of it I don't like curtseys at all. A respectful nodding with the head is so much more graceful and IMO enough to show your respect.

A few of the Crown Princesses look very graceful when they curtsey, but I agree that Letizia's are not very elegant. She appears to be crouching on the floor. In contrast, Mette Marit's curtsey to Queen Elizabeth epitomized grace (to me anyways).

A curtsey is a traditional and respectful thing to do towards a sovereign or Royal, if you don't like it don't do it, but most people do like it and do do it, if that makes sense.

i have a question, as serene highness' does Prince albert have to bow to prince charles and other royal highness' even though he is head of state? and do monarch's bow to each other like for example Q elizabeth and beatrix, is this isn't the case then would prince albert of monaco have to bow?
i personally think this should be the case.

and MM could have curtseyed to camilla due to the fact that she is a visitor to the UK and thus showing respect to the british royal family

Back
Top Bottom