Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bowing and Curtsying

I would like people to post pictures of Royals bowing and curtseying to each other and being bowed and curtseyed to be members of the public.

RoyalProtocol said:
I would like people to post pictures of Royals bowing and curtseying to each other and being bowed and curtseyed to be members of the public.
We have an existing Bowing thread into which I have merged RoyalProtocol's post, and re-named the thread.
We once had a very good Curtseying thread (Royal-to-Royal) but unfortunately it disappeared into cyberspace.
Curtseying contributions welcome!

Warren
Royal Forums moderator

assia said:
I saw a pic with Crown Princess Mette-Marit bowing to Crown Princess Victoria, I was a bit surprised as I thought that they would be at the same rank : one being the spouse of a crown prince and the other a crown princess on her own. Does anyone know something about it ?

i was wondering that also, who has to bow to who, who never bows to anybody and do family members have to bow everytime they see a relative of higher rank, the whole thing makes my head swim. glad i'm american and don't bow to anyone.

I would say that Mette-Marit curtseyed to Victoria because Victoria is a born Crown Princess, not just because of marriage and she has royal blood, whereas Mette-marit is only royal by marriage. Victoria will be the monarch, not consort as Mette-marit would be.

What about Letizia? Will Elena and Cristina curtsey at her?

I would say Mette and Letizia got some lesson, namely all-things-curtsey, taught the wrong way. ;)

Princess BellyFlop said:
I guess that whether or not we bow/curtsy is pretty much how polite or well-mannered we are, no matter our origin.
That may now come across as harsh, but: That's nonsens. I'm both polite and well-mannered, but I would personally never curtsey. Simply because I was raised by a republican family, grew up in a republic, am republican and think curtseying is old-fashioned! And then you have of course all those people who are NOT white and or do NOT have european forefathers. :) :) :) So to say someone like me/ them is impolite and bad-mannered is just that, impolite and bad-mannered.

I think curtseying is a matter of personal choice, but I personally would do so simply because I think it is a sign of respect for the position, not the individual. I am not a huge fan of some of the new consorts but nevertheless, they will be the wives of the heads of state and their particular etiquette requires curtseying. In a way, for instance, the American President's being addressed as "Mr. President" is similar in that it is not the ordinary form of address for a president (usually they are styled as His Excellency). However, because people respect the position, they use the American style and not the more common "Your Excellency." Clearly, this isn't the best parallel as the presidency doesn't have the same connotations as a monarchy based on bloodline, but I think the point holds. Nevertheless, I wouldn't consider those who choose not to bow or curtsey to be impolite.

I agree. If I met royalty I too would curtsy. Why? Because I believe its the proper thing to do.

Australian said:
I would say that Mette-Marit curtseyed to Victoria because Victoria is a born Crown Princess, not just because of marriage and she has royal blood, whereas Mette-marit is only royal by marriage. Victoria will be the monarch, not consort as Mette-marit would be.

Aren't the royal families rather "close"? I always thought that CP Victoria and CP Haakon were good friends and well as cousins. It could be that MM has love and respect for Victoria. Maybe it was done for those reasons. When I see my best friend I kiss her cheek and hug her. May this curtsy equates the same.

crisiñaki said:
What about Letizia? Will Elena and Cristina curtsey at her?

I doubt it because they are now family. Letizia may be of higher rank as she is the wife of the heir but Crisitina and Elena are daughters of the King. When Felipe inherits the throne; I think Letizia, Cristina, and Elena will probably be pretty close that there is no need for that formality. Actually, if they did, Letizia might even feel weird. :rolleyes:

Ahh..but technically when Diana married Charles she went straight to the top of the social and protocol list.

Which means that technically Princess Anne, Princess Margaret, and Princess Alexandra, all born royal, had to curtsey to her as she was now the number two lady in the land.

Whether they actually did or did not... I don't know.

Curtseying amongst the royals is done more on the position of your title and rank....but there is some intermixing if you are born royal vs. marrying into it.

1. Camilla to Queen Rania 2. Mette to Camilla
pics courtesy profilemedia.cz

Last edited by a moderator:
To this day I still dont understand why Mette-Marit curtsied to Camilla...

Why? :rolleyes:

"MII"

Margrethe II said:
To this day I still dont understand why Mette-Marit curtsied to Camilla...

Why? :rolleyes:

"MII"

It seems as though Mette-Marit curtseys to everyone regardless of rank lol. Maybe she does it as sort of a greeting rather than acknowledgement of rank?

weinyer said:
1. Camilla to Queen Rania 2. Mette to Camilla
RANDOM!! why did Mette-Marit curtsey, this is NOT necessary, they are of equal Royal rank, however MM is more senoir to Camilla.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ofcourse she is not senior to the Duchess, Camilla is married to the Heir, Mette-Marit is married to the heir. Because Queen Elizabeth has been much longer on the throne than King Harald, Charles and Camilla will take presedence over Haakon and Mette-MArit on royal events.

She clearly did not have to do it, maybe she forgot herself, maybe she did it because Camilla was the hostess (or as a sign of respect to the elders;) :p )

Last edited:
In some of the pictures it looked like MM just needed to bend down a bit to hug her.

Sometimes though I think MM is the princess I would be, when in doubt just curtsey to everyone ;)

Larzen said:
Ofcourse she is not senior to the Duchess, Camilla is married to the Heir, Mette-Marit is married to the heir. Because Queen Elizabeth has been much longer on the throne than King Harald, Charles and Camilla will take presedence over Haakon and Mette-MArit on royal events.

She clearly did not have to do it, maybe she forgot herself, maybe she did it because Camilla was the hostess (or as a sign of respect to the elders;) :p )

MM is senior having been a member of the royal family for longer, the reign length has nothing to do with it.

I'm not sure, but doesn't Camilla givven smth to MetteMarit and that was the reason why it looks that MM was coutsey to C?

photo from: profimedia corbis seeger getty newscom

Great Pictures Weinyer...thank you so much!

Who is that in the 7th picture curtseying to the Emperor of Japan? Is that CP Mary or someone else?

Letizia's curtsies are really deep!

As far as I am concerned: absolutely no reason for Mette-marit to curtsy to Camilla! but then again one can never be too polite!

Lyle said:
Great Pictures Weinyer...thank you so much!

Who is that in the 7th picture curtseying to the Emperor of Japan? Is that CP Mary or someone else?

Yes, it is HRH the Crown Princess Mary Elizabeth :)

"MII"

Seeing the photo of camilla and APB together, I wonder , after being married to each other for years, now that she is in her new position as duchess, future queen, does he have to bow upon their greeting? We were talking earlier, of the Royal ladies, Sophie, P.Michael , P.Anne, whom had to curtsey to whom... I wonder what it is like also say for Annabelle, camilla's sister, and even their close circle of friends, e.g Soames etc.Do they now also have to curtsey and bow?

Great pictures Weinyer, really deep curtsies from everyone. Even the Duchess of Windsor curtsied very deeply to the queen.

Source: Getty Images, Corbis
Mary Donaldson (at the time) curtseying to HRH Prince Henrik

HRH Princess Martha Louise curtseying to HM Queen Elizabeth II

Mette-Marit Tjessem Hoiby (at the time) curtseying to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

Mette-Marit's curtsy was so dramatic & deep...but I like it ;) :D

"MII"

I know I LOVE Mette-Marits curtsy. The dress and everything makes it looks so regal and wonderfull. I wonder if she curtsies like this to everyone.

Princejohnny25 said:
I know I LOVE Mette-Marits curtsy. The dress and everything makes it looks so regal and wonderfull. I wonder if she curtsies like this to everyone.
This was a great encounter, which I guess is why this picture is still brought up and discussed.
Meeting Queen Elizabeth II, everyone watching, photographer's cameras clicking and whirring, and Mette-Marit pays deeply respectful homage. Perfect.

Infanta Cristina curtseying to King Juan Carlos at the Laureus Awards in May 2006

Photos by Getty Images and Bruno Press

71009243.jpg

_BAM5127.jpg

Back
Top Bottom