HM Queen Elizabeth II​ - Rest In Peace
The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-30-2021, 08:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Interestingly it seems that European royalty do a deep curtsey while the BRF just do a small bob. It reminds me of seeing historical movies and TV where the house maids say "yes ma'am" bob and scurry away.

Neither Letizia nor Mary are royal by birth, and CP Mary was not even born or raised in Europe. I suppose their pictures are not necessarily indicative of how deep European royalty curtsy.

Diana was known for particularly deep curtsies and, recently, in 2017, the Princess Royal was also seen doing a very deep curtsy to King Felipe during his UK state visit. So, I don't think there is necessarily a British/Continental divide on depth of curtsies either.

Old 03-30-2021, 01:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Diana was known for particularly deep curtsies and, recently, in 2017, the Princess Royal was also seen doing a very deep curtsy to King Felipe during his UK state visit. So, I don't think there is necessarily a British/Continental divide on depth of curtsies either.

Margaret Thatcher as well.

Old 03-30-2021, 04:44 PM
Aristocracy

HRM Queen Anne-Marie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Agree. She is delicate and beautiful like a fairy.
Queen Anne-Marie was and still is a precious gem for the Greek throne and the whole country.
Dear Fandesacs;

I SO agree with you again. She would be a wonderful Queen of Greece, just as Constantine would be a good King. But Anne-Marie is special and so Regally elegant with reserve and dignity. I believe it would be good for Greece if Constantine & Anne-Marie were restored to the Throne. But I am a Royalist of course....

Kind Regards,

Queen Angelique.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:19 AM
Former Administrator

Some posts have been moved to the King Constantine and the Dictatorship of the Colonals thread: https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...4-a-40952.html

Let's stay on topic please, which is about Bowing and Curtseying.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:34 AM
Aristocracy

[ATTACH]Attachment 302519[/ATTACH]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Interestingly it seems that European royalty do a deep curtsey while the BRF just do a small bob. It reminds me of seeing historical movies and TV where the house maids say "yes ma'am" bob and scurry away.
Dear MARG, you are correct;
Here in Europe the curtsies are usually deep ones, as performed by Royalty to higher ranking Royals. The Royals set the standards really, and the servants particularly & naturally, are expected to curtsy & bow low to their Royals.
I live & act as A Queen on Our Estate, and I too, expect My maids & lackeys to curtsy & bow deeply to Me. They are also trained to address Me with "Your Royal Majesty" as they curtsy & bow. In the photo below, while seated in the ante hall to My Boudoir, dressed in casual Day-Wear for My morning coffee, I am granting Audience to two new Asian maids, that My husband recently hired for Me. I am asking them questions & making sure that they are comfortable & happy, and generally getting to know them. Interestingly, they automatically curtsied/knelt down to the floor with bowed head, as that is the custom there, and they requested Me sweetly, to allow them to keep doing it that way. I considered their request, and considered it to be wise to allow them to remain faithful to their traditions, in deference to their culture. Subsequently I have found Myself rather approving of their way, as it is very beautiful, and I rather enjoy it. Hence I have since stipulated to all My staff to adopt this beautiful way of curtsying & bowing. I do believe in furthering the spirit & ethos of true Royalty & Royal Customs & protocol. In case anyone wonders, all My servants are very happy to be in My service and they enjoy living at My Royal Court in an atmosphere of bonhomie & joyfulness, while honoring My Royal nature & inclinations. My Asian maids had written to My husband and requested employment. Their resume's were rather impressive, hence I directed Jacques to hire them for Me. They are wonderful servants actually, and I have indicated to Jacques that I would appreciate a few more.
As an addendum: I have a "scribe" who reports and photographs all the Royal audiences, speeches, balls, etc, etc that take place in and around The Estate. The comments and texts on the photo's are his also.

With Kind & Royal Regards,

Old 06-11-2021, 09:06 PM
Majesty

Two little girls curtsey to The Duchess of York on July 2, 1935
http://www.alamy.com/the-duchess-of-...359653355.html
Old 06-11-2021, 11:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Two little girls curtsey to The Duchess of York on July 2, 1935
http://www.alamy.com/the-duchess-of-...359653355.html

I wish people dressed like that nowadays!
Old 06-15-2021, 07:47 PM
Majesty

Would the Duke of Edinburgh have been the only one who did not curtsey to queen Elizabeth daily whenever they would first see her during the day?

(Same with prince Henrik for queen Margrethe I suppose)
Old 06-15-2021, 08:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Would the Duke of Edinburgh have been the only one who did not curtsey to queen Elizabeth daily whenever they would first see her during the day?

(Same with prince Henrik for queen Margrethe I suppose)
She exempted her mother and Margaret, as far as I know.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth queen mother could never be obliged to curtseys to her daughter Queen Elisabeth II as they were equals, both Queens. Could not be possible, both were H.M.
Prince Philip and princess Margaret were both HRH
Old 07-10-2021, 09:19 PM
Aristocracy

Dressing beautifully, like iin the past.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
I wish people dressed like that nowadays!

Dear Leopoldine;

I whole-heartily agree with you. I would be delighted if Ladies would once again dress in such gorgeous, flowing & divine Gowns. The age of Regal elegance! May it return one day. I do My bit by always dressing accordingly, even in My day-wear. I hope you do likewise Leopoldine.

With Kind Royal Regards,

Old 07-20-2021, 12:59 PM
Nobility

Long story short and I hope its okay that I ask here.

A friend of mine is writing a story where the daughter of a Baron (its a german story) meets an Earl (married to her sister). Does she have to curtsey? Or do anything beside a handshake?
And does she need to do anything to her sister? Its a family gathering where they meet first (where she meets the Earl first).
She asked me but I was not sure about that.
Old 07-20-2021, 01:58 PM
Member - in Memoriam

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirilschatz View Post
Long story short and I hope its okay that I ask here.

A friend of mine is writing a story where the daughter of a Baron (its a german story) meets an Earl (married to her sister). Does she have to curtsey? Or do anything beside a handshake?
And does she need to do anything to her sister? Its a family gathering where they meet first (where she meets the Earl first).
She asked me but I was not sure about that.
I have no clue of what the protocol would be in this day and age but if the story is somewhere in the past, like even in the 19th century, women would curtsy to men and men would bow to the ladies. This is reminiscent from me watching Pride and Prejudice in movies too many times. :)
Old 07-20-2021, 02:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I have no clue of what the protocol would be in this day and age but if the story is somewhere in the past, like even in the 19th century, women would curtsy to men and men would bow to the ladies. This is reminiscent from me watching Pride and Prejudice in movies too many times. :)
As far as I know its set in 1999/2000, so quite nowadays.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirilschatz View Post
As far as I know its set in 1999/2000, so quite nowadays.

Members of the nobility do not curtsy to each other, so I would say no.

Since her brother-in-law in the story is an Earl, she would only have to address him as "Lord [designation of the title]".
Old 07-20-2021, 04:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Members of the nobility do not curtsy to each other, so I would say no.

Since her brother-in-law in the story is an Earl, she would only have to address him as "Lord [designation of the title]".
However, the story is taking place in Germany, so I don't think 'Lord' would apply. Not sure what address would be used though.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:53 AM
Nobility

Quote:
However, the story is taking place in Germany, so I don't think 'Lord' would apply. Not sure what address would be used though.

Ah no, its written in german. The Earl is from somewhere in England, she hasnt decided on his name yet. The wife is german and so is her sister.
It's not about this Earl in particular, so not a nobiltystory or something.
Its just that the sister happen to be daughters of a Baron and one of them has married an Earl. It's just a scene, or maybe some scenes. The story itself is about the sister, not the wife.

We only wondered if there was any special greeting on their first meeting.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:26 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I understood that the character is an English Earl, not a German Count, and therefore he should be addressed in the usual British fashion, even overseas.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:34 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I understood that the character is an English Earl, not a German Count, and therefore he should be addressed in the usual British fashion, even overseas.
Yes, exactly.

As it's a family encounter where they meet first, maybe it doesnt matter if she only shakes his hand (which he reaches out to her.)
Old 07-21-2021, 11:51 AM
Majesty

Young aristocrats are pretty informal and relaxed nowadays. I donít think there would necessarily be a terribly formal greeting between people in their twenties say, especially between family members. They could just say Hello and how are you?