The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-12-2019, 03:42 PM
Commoner

It did not seem that deep to me either. But as was said above, its all in the eye of the beholder.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

It was a nice respectable ‘bob’ and that’s perfectly fine. The royals don’t judge you based on whether you give them a curtsy or not. Some choose to give a curtsy (deep or not) when they greet a senior royal and some choose to not give a curtsy at all. It’s all perfectly fine.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-12-2019, 05:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It was a nice respectable ‘bob’ and that’s perfectly fine. The royals don’t judge you based on whether you give them a curtsy or not. Some choose to give a curtsy (deep or not) when they greet a senior royal and some choose to not give a curtsy at all. It’s all perfectly fine.
This reminds me of that wonderful line from the film The Queen:

"I don't measure the depth of a curtsy I leave that to my sister"

I must admit I don't like it when people don't greet the monarch in the traditional manner but as for the rest I have no opinion either way.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Here is a video. It looked like a pretty normal one to me.

Yes, just a little dip.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:50 AM
Courtier

I found this interview with Alistair Bruce who is historical adviser on Downton Abbey (and equerry to the Earl of Wessex). Towards the end of the article he talks about curtseying and the difference between a "housemaid's bob" and a real curtsey.

Apparently, Lady Susan Hussey has one of the best curtseys.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/le...-royal-family/
Old 09-23-2019, 03:07 AM
Serene Highness

Thank you for posting. It was very interesting to read.
I haven't seen the series, or the film. Perhaps one day, when I have time and energy left in the evenings.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:37 PM
Commoner

Kate and curtseying

I have read that as Duchess, Kate has to bow to blood born princesses (ex. Eugenie and Beatrice), but when she becomes Queen Consort will they have to then bow to Kate?
Old 09-26-2019, 02:40 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarzuela View Post
Not only Americans, but also people from all other countries are not required to bow to anyone. There is no international law that punishes people who don't bow to royals.

An American may bow if he or she wants to, but this choice is available to all the people of the world.
Is there a law that punishes people in the UK for not bowing to the Queen?
Old 09-26-2019, 02:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPeach77 View Post
Is there a law that punishes people in the UK for not bowing to the Queen?
No, there isn't.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:14 PM
Commoner

Quote:
I have read that as Duchess, Kate has to bow to blood born princesses (ex. Eugenie and Beatrice), but when she becomes Queen Consort will they have to then bow to Kate?
Yes. She will be the top woman of the court.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
When Catherine becomes Queen Consort (yes) Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie will curtsy to Catherine.

The young royals don’t bow and curtsy to each other.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-26-2019, 03:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
To add to Dman's response, its also good to know that actually bowing and curtsying is a choice and not a requirement. This applies to the general public.

If you see all the royals gathered at an event and see some bowing and curtsying to the Queen and some of them not, the chances are the the ones that refrain from curtsying to the Queen in public saw her earlier and did it then. The rule of thumb for a royal family member is one does a curtsy the first time they see the Queen and they're good for the rest of the day. So if William and Kate went to Balmoral (or were staying there), they most likely have seen the Queen at home and not at the arrival of a church service. If Charles and Camilla were staying at Birkhall (on the Balmoral estate) and came from there to the church, it would be the first time of the day they saw her and would pay their respects outside of the church.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 09-26-2019, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Well there's an old saying not to believe everything you read and I always ignore articles that read 'Duchess Kate' as there's no such person,I know I'm too picky
Old 09-27-2019, 06:52 AM
Majesty

Let's face it, we might as well try to hold back the sea. Duchess Catherine and Duchess Meghan sound more friendly and we know who they are talking about when they talk of cuetsies.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:52 AM
Aristocracy

Should I ever be lucky enough to meet any Royals, I don’t intend to curtsy Plus I think it adds pressure to all those presenting bouquets etc. Its generally a fleeting moment but how many will say they can’t remember much as they were worried about their curtsy? A welcoming smile and handshake are more genuine.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:54 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Well there's an old saying not to believe everything you read and I always ignore articles that read 'Duchess Kate' as there's no such person,I know I'm too picky
What are you referring to when you say there is no such person as Duchess Kate? Do you mean it should be Duchess Catherine, or do you just not consider her a Duchess?
Old 09-27-2019, 09:16 AM
Majesty

It's not the proper way to address her, is all. It's the way an amateur would call a newly minted Royal Duchess

It's a small thing, I know. But it's as grating and irritating to hear Kate called "Duchess Kate" as it is to hear her addressed as Kate Middleton and Meghan as Meghan Markle.

Neither are correct. Just say HRH or The DoC if you can't be bothered with The Duchess of Cambridge, for goodness sake!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 09-27-2019, 09:22 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
It's not the proper way to address her, is all. It's the way an amateur would call a newly minted Royal Duchess

It's a small thing, I know. But it's as grating and irritating to hear Kate called "Duchess Kate" as it is to hear her addressed as Kate Middleton and Meghan as Meghan Markle.

Neither are correct. Just say HRH or The DoC if you can't be bothered with The Duchess of Cambridge, for goodness sake!
I get your point, I guess it's just that HRH is too general. You could be referring to numerous people. She is the Duchess of Cambridge, her name is Catherine, but went by Kate before being royal, so that is how people identify her more easily and directly than just HRH. I mean, people referred to Diana as "Princess" Diana and she was in fact not a Princess.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:28 AM
Majesty

"HRH" is too general, unless it's during the course of a conversation where the DoC is the topic. That's what I meant. Otherwise she would be the Duchess of Cambridge or "the DoC" as I call her.

ETA: I never called Diana "Princess Diana" or the egregious "Lady Di" after she married Charles. I

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 09-27-2019, 09:32 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
"HRH" is too general, unless it's during the course of a conversation where the DoC is the topic. That's what I meant. Otherwise she would be the Duchess of Cambridge or "the DoC" as I call her.

ETA: I never called Diana "Princess Diana" or the egregious "Lady Di" after she married Charles.
Gotcha!