The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-25-2018, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I don’t see anyone criticizing the new royals for how, or when they bow/curtsey. This discussion was about whether the Cambridges and the Sussexes bowed because they hadn’t seen the Queen this morning.

Old 12-25-2018, 12:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
So that other explanation is that they are doing it just for the cameras? Because no one (excepting Jack and Tim) behind them bows?
I don't believe W&K and M&H (if they are staying at Anmer) arrive straight at church then leave straight from there for Anmer. They can't arrive on foot as Anmer is 3 miles away and they are in posh clothes so they must arrive by car to the main house then walk with the rest of the family. I doubt they arrive and don't see the Queen and I doubt they go straight from church to home without calling in at the Main House to see the Queen and probably stay for Christmas dinner. So the church is simply a middle part of their day with the Queen.

I'm not pretending to know all at all but I just don't see how it indicates who is staying where. Tim and Jack bowed and they are almost certainly staying at Sandringham. A curtsey takes quite a bit of room to bob down as your knees goes back a little and on a step with others in front and behind that is hard.

I didn't say they were doing it for the cameras, I said it is clear to me from observing them that some thought goes into this as Anne stepped aside to let W&K go ahead of her. The fact that the media made a fuss about the curtseys last year makes it more likely (not the only reason) IMO that they would repeat it this year lest the media make a fuss about them not doing so.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:06 AM
Gentry

I am not 100% sure what the exact protocol is but, if you watch any church service that the Queen attends, members of the BRF (and others) acknowledge her presence with a bow or curtsy when HM reaches her pew... and also when she leaves it. I would assume that the same happens here.

They also tend to acknowledge HM's arriving and departing a venue. Watch, for example, the Garter Service. When the Queen's carriage leaves at the end of the service, members of the BRF bow/curtsy as the Queen leaves. It is sort of like saying hello and goodbye.

While many posters have picked-up on the point that, once you have bowed/curtsied you do not have to do it again, I think that is the case during the same event or for a prolonged 'visit' where they may encounter HM on numerous occasions - they do not have to bow each time they catch her eye or speak with her again. I do however think that the BRF will usually bow/curtsy when HM arrives and leaves - again , like saying hello and goodbye. Think of it like shaking hands.

For those who did not bow as the car departed, I think it is more the case that they were not paying attention (perhaps in conversation with someone etc) or still to far away (still up the stairs, behind the bushes) that they could not see HM leave....too far away to "shake hands".
Old 12-26-2018, 05:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Yeah, I know that no one arrives after the Queen. I was wondering if they would curtsey to her inside the church.

In any event, seeing as Tim and Jack bowed as she left, Iím not convinced it tells us who has, or hasnít seen her.
It would actually be quite easy not to see the Queen before she arrives at Church. The "former" Butler's and footmen and even chefs have been expounding at length the way Christmas Day is scheduled. Married ladies have tea and toast in their rooms, single ladies and gentlemen have breakfast downstairs together.

Since HM leaves the house last as she travels by car and all the rest have set out earlier in a well-timed stroll to church, not seeing her before Church is more than possible. The Cambridge's would arrive, settle the Nanny and kids and join the walk. If they had guests I'm guessing they'd just follow along and stop and chat with the assembling walkers until they set out.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I don't believe W&K and M&H (if they are staying at Anmer) arrive straight at church then leave straight from there for Anmer. They can't arrive on foot as Anmer is 3 miles away and they are in posh clothes so they must arrive by car to the main house then walk with the rest of the family. I doubt they arrive and don't see the Queen and I doubt they go straight from church to home without calling in at the Main House to see the Queen and probably stay for Christmas dinner. So the church is simply a middle part of their day with the Queen.

I'm not pretending to know all at all but I just don't see how it indicates who is staying where. Tim and Jack bowed and they are almost certainly staying at Sandringham. A curtsey takes quite a bit of room to bob down as your knees goes back a little and on a step with others in front and behind that is hard.

I didn't say they were doing it for the cameras, I said it is clear to me from observing them that some thought goes into this as Anne stepped aside to let W&K go ahead of her. The fact that the media made a fuss about the curtseys last year makes it more likely (not the only reason) IMO that they would repeat it this year lest the media make a fuss about them not doing so.
No one is saying they walked front Anmer or going to Anmer from church. They likely drove up to Sandringham and walked over with the rest of the family. And HM isnít out yet. The rest wouldíve seen her inside earlier as they are staying there. Same thing happened at Easter. Some members of the family do not curtsy while others did when HMQ arrived. Usually that means those that curtsied there didnít see her earlier in the day whereas others did and itís not necessary for them to curtsy again.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:51 PM
Aristocracy

I just noticed that Catherine curtsied moving her left leg behind the right. Meghan curtsied moving her right leg behind the left. So I take it there is no protocol on which leg you keep forward? I always thought you did it the way Catherine did.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
No one is saying they walked front Anmer or going to Anmer from church. They likely drove up to Sandringham and walked over with the rest of the family. And HM isnít out yet. The rest wouldíve seen her inside earlier as they are staying there. Same thing happened at Easter. Some members of the family do not curtsy while others did when HMQ arrived. Usually that means those that curtsied there didnít see her earlier in the day whereas others did and itís not necessary for them to curtsy again.
The reality is no one knows and my comment was meant to show we can't take the fact they curtsey or bow as a sure sign they aren't staying at Sandringham and I still believe that.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
The reality is no one knows and my comment was meant to show we can't take the fact they curtsey or bow as a sure sign they aren't staying at Sandringham and I still believe that.
I still donít know who came up with the concept of a bow and curtsey indicating who is staying with The Queen. Itís just a sign of respect for the Monarch. Not all members of the family do it in unison all the time.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-27-2018, 05:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by contessa View Post
I just noticed that Catherine curtsied moving her left leg behind the right. Meghan curtsied moving her right leg behind the left. So I take it there is no protocol on which leg you keep forward? I always thought you did it the way Catherine did.
I'd do it with the right foot back. No idea, if there is a reaaon behind it or if you just do what feels more natural (and balancing) to you.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
I'd do it with the right foot back. No idea, if there is a reaaon behind it or if you just do what feels more natural (and balancing) to you.
I wonder if it's a right handed/left handed thing? I learned to curtsey with the right leg back, and that's how I usually see it.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:54 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I still donít know who came up with the concept of a bow and curtsey indicating who is staying with The Queen. Itís just a sign of respect for the Monarch. Not all members of the family do it in unison all the time.
It's been said here for years that on these gathered occasions, you curtsey to the Queen the first time you see her for that event. So, if you are staying with her at Sandringham, you have already bowed to her that day and need not bow at the church. But if you are staying at Anmer, you bow when she arrives at church (or the wedding or whatever other gathered event when you have not run into her at home).

So some here took that to mean the departure bow/curtsey as well.

This departure bow/curtsey is different from that. It appears to be something the front row does out of courtesy. Though, recalling other events this departure honor seems less uniform in application. Lately, I think it seems more obvious. Maybe they are just back in practice what with all the weddings. Maybe as HM ages people think they want to obviously honor her more often and more formally.

I personally think it looks silly when the front row curtseys and the people behind are chatting away. Either pay attention to her coming and going or don't. JMO.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree that this is something that has just evolved over time and is, it seems, becoming the norm for this Christmas day service.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:08 PM
Royal Highness

So why didn't Kate and William curtsey/bow before when they were the only ones who stayed at Anmer and Harry stayed at Sandringham?
Old 12-27-2018, 07:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

They have...if you go back and look at past Christmases you can see Kate/William performing bow/curtesy.

LaRae
Old 12-27-2018, 07:30 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks! I will!
Old 12-27-2018, 07:34 PM
Serene Highness

The "which leg goes back in a curtsey" conversation makes me want to find all the pictures of ladies curtseying and seeing which leg is dominant, and seeing if, as Ista suggested, it's correlated with the preferred writing hand.

(I prefer to move my right leg back, as I feel sturdier on my left. And I'm right handed.)
Old 12-28-2018, 12:01 AM
Aristocracy

I know in highland dancing (totally unrelated) there's a step to the right with the left leg behind and to a judge/adjudicator for an award no step. Not sure about ballet. I'm sure I read somewhere that bowing for royalty was the opposite but I naturally do the hd one.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

The late Princess of Wales curtsying to the Emperor of Japan-
https://europesroyalsjewels.tumblr.c...l-family#notes

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-02-2019, 04:16 AM
Heir Apparent

A rare sight on the Nobel ceremony nowadays: Lady Churchill accepts the Nobel Prize for literature on behalf of her husband (Sir Winston Churchill) and curtsies to King Gustav VI Adolf of Sweden.

https://youtu.be/3-NLTcQAlb8?t=66
Old 01-02-2019, 07:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Ingeborg pointed how the the Photograph took his picture without disturbing , funny.