The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-27-2018, 01:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Of course it was correct for the Duchess of Cornwall to curtsy to Queen Maxima, but I can’t help thinking how awkward the PoW’s position must be. He and his wife are already in their 70s and are still lower in rank than all those new, much younger royal couples e.g. in Spain , Belgium and the Netherlands.
And the King of the Netherlands or Queen Máxima could not care less. They are equally pkeased with a handshake. It is really the self-inflicted custom wich made Charles, Camilla and the PM bowing or curtsying, while WA&M themselves most likely do appreciate a normal greeting.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:31 AM
Nobility

What about the bizzare curtsies of Meghan to the king and queen of Tonga while departing from their home? Im referring to the video shot in front of the house where they were received. Cant link it now, though.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

I saw the clip and nothing was bizzare about the curtesy. It was just a quick bob.

LaRae
Old 11-01-2018, 11:15 AM
Serene Highness

Old 11-01-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I saw the clip and nothing was bizzare about the curtesy. It was just a quick bob.

LaRae

For a Royal curtsey it’s poor - I think foreign Sovereigns ought to be afforded the same courtesies as are afforded to Queen Elizabeth II, the Duchess of Sussex could have made slightly more of an effort, I’m not asking her to lie on the floor but she could at least bend her knees.

God Save The Queen!

Old 11-01-2018, 12:22 PM
Heir Apparent

What is the custom in Tonga? Princess Angelika did the same thing when she greeted Harry and Meghan. I was surprised that she did a little curtsy to Harry and Meghan given they aren't foreign sovereign or heir. But if she was going to do it, I assume she did it right. I'm assuming given Princess Angelika's role and her previous foreign relation experience, she would not make a faux pas.

We were also surprised at the Fijian President kneeling, but turns out that's to do with local customs. We didn't know that until the clip of him kneeling and then clapping came out.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalProtocol View Post
For a Royal curtsey it’s poor - I think foreign Sovereigns ought to be afforded the same courtesies as are afforded to Queen Elizabeth II, the Duchess of Sussex could have made slightly more of an effort, I’m not asking her to lie on the floor but she could at least bend her knees.
I agree, but she has been doing it(curtsying) for a short time and doesn't quite have the hang of it...yet.

If she is as perfectionist and as motivated as I suspect she is, she will one day be one of the best Royal "curtsiers" out there.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 11-01-2018, 01:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

A curtsey is always an option and never a requirement. The half-hearted attempts by the Duchess of Sussex probably shows her true colours regarding the idea of going down the knees.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:21 PM
Majesty

You could be right but my position is that if you are going to do it, do it well or TRY to do it well.

Or don't bother at all.

One doesn't marry into the most visible of European monarchies to make a statement of protest by making a shabby gesture of respect to another monarch during your first foreign tour.

Get it right or give it up, imo.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 11-01-2018, 02:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

We will see how it develops. It is already on the decline anyway. Like no more curtsying at Wimbledon, no more wigs in Parliament, no more backward walking at the Court, etc. It will fade away.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't believe she is going to deliberately do anything badly..not even curtesy. It's going to take her a bit to get things sorted...she might of not been sure if she should or not and just defaulted to quick bob just in case.

Everyone needs to chill and not read any sort of ulterior motives into this.

LaRae
Old 11-01-2018, 02:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
A curtsey is always an option and never a requirement. The half-hearted attempts by the Duchess of Sussex probably shows her true colours regarding the idea of going down the knees.
That's a bit harsh. We've seen her curtsy to the Queen. None are half-hearted. As I mentioned before, it's the same as Princess Angelika's curtsy. And yes, I'm well aware she shouldn't be curtsying to Harry and Meghan. But since she decided to do it, I'm assuming she did it right according to her culture.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

A man has only to nod his head, and it’s done. No one ever criticizes how a man “bows”. Yet women, even older ones with bad knees, etc, are expected to contort themselves in a humbling fashion to show obeisance to others. Not only that, people feel free to make fun of a woman’s attempt to properly curtsey. I call BS on this particular custom; it’s the 21st century, and even royalty has had to adjust to modernity. Stand your ground, Theresa May!

Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-08-2018, 04:38 PM
Aristocracy

Crown Princess Mary curtseys to the Pope. (0:09)
https://youtu.be/eK1jBd-g0wQ
Old 11-08-2018, 06:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Graceful lovely curtesy from CP Mary.

LaRae
Old 11-08-2018, 06:57 PM
Majesty

I can just see Queen Margrethe nodding, smiling and saying "not bad, not bad at all!"
Old 11-09-2018, 05:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Picture:
HRH The Duchess of York curtsies to King Olav V of Norway 1988-
https://mobile.twitter.com/RoyalArja...39708536614913

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-10-2018, 12:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Picture:
HRH The Duchess of York curtsies to King Olav V of Norway 1988-
https://mobile.twitter.com/RoyalArja...39708536614913
Sarah was about five or six months pregnant at the time if I remember correctly.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
A man has only to nod his head, and it’s done. No one ever criticizes how a man “bows”. Yet women, even older ones with bad knees, etc, are expected to contort themselves in a humbling fashion to show obeisance to others. Not only that, people feel free to make fun of a woman’s attempt to properly curtsey. I call BS on this particular custom; it’s the 21st century, and even royalty has had to adjust to modernity. Stand your ground, Theresa May!
All true and well, but let us not forget no one enforces Mrs May, or any other lady, to go through the knees. A reverence is always optional, never a requirement. So it is Mrs May's own free will to greet a royal in this way.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

PM Theresa May curtsy this evening to the Duke of Sussex

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrvZGa7WkAAggBe.jpg