The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-22-2018, 08:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Ms May's curtsy was awkwardly painful.
That’s because there’s no right way of doing it, and you can only do it in the way you’re comfortable with.

The Queen is famous for not being overly impressed by very dramatic and deep curtsies. Even when she was Princess Elizabeth, her curtsies were just quick and half bobs.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-22-2018, 08:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
That’s because there’s no right way of doing it, and you can only do it in the way you’re comfortable with.
The Queen is famous for not being overly impressed by very dramatic and deep curtsies. Even when she was Princess Elizabeth, her curtsies were just quick and half bobs.
Japanese Imperial Princesses, Hereditary Grand Duchess Stephanie, and Princess Anne give excellent curtsies.

The Iron Lady curtsied in a proper manner.
https://www.gettyimages.com/license/853577126
https://www.gettyimages.com/license/829823304
https://www.gettyimages.com/license/575450689
https://www.gettyimages.com/license/73630561

Old 06-22-2018, 08:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Archaic gestures. It shows dominance. Too bad still doing it in 2018.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
When I think about it, actually Theresa May is the Prime Minister of Her Majesty's government. Although the Queen has no political power really, she does as the Prime Minister to form a government. With William being a senior royal, Mrs. May is showing respect for the monarchy when she does a curtsey to him.

At least that's how I look at it.
So, I see how it would make sense to curtsey to Her Majesty (if that is part of the tradition in a country) but where does that extension end. She is not the prime minister of the duchess of Cambridge's government... So, I keep wondering at which member 'showing respect to the monarchy' ends

Formally, the children of the monarch outrank grandchildren, so if she is consistent she should at least also curtsey to the duke of York, the earl of Wessex, the countess of Wessex and the princess royal. The queen might privately have decided that the order of preference is applied differently, I would expect the prime minister to uphold the official order

Do we have any pictures of the prime minister meeting the other children of the monarch (other than Charles and Camilla)?
Old 06-22-2018, 09:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
There is also another reason for the Prime Minister to curtsy to the Duke of Cambridge recently. It wasn't as if Mrs. May and the DoC were meeting at a social event (such as Ascot) but rather they were both there to open the newly-built Defence and National Rehabilitation Centre.

Mrs. May was there as a representative of the her majesty's government and William was there representing the Queen. The greeting was more formally structured.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 06-22-2018, 09:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post

I disagree. There is nothing about dominance in a curtsy. And, again, the fact that politicians in the UK, including the prime minister, are like any common person is a good thing.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

PM May curtsied to the Duke of Cambridge because he’s the second in line to the throne. The future monarch. She curtsy to The Queen and other senior members of the royal family.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-22-2018, 10:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Of course we all know that its not a requirement to bow or curtsy but I do think its a wonderful display of respect when it does happen. There's nothing dominating about it at all. Some "old fashioned" courtesies seem to have gone out the window with the 21st century and to me, its kind of a sad thing.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 06-22-2018, 11:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
I agree. It looks very, very odd to the modern eye. Not necessary. Maybe one might do it with a religious figure, but even there nothing extreme should be indulged. JMO.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

It’s not mandatory to curtsy to The Queen and senior members of the royal family. It’s just done out of respect.

The younger members of the royal family aren’t really into people curtsying to them, but they graciously accept the slight bow and dip. It’s pretty much dying out though. In the Queen’s young days; whenever she entered a cathedral, parliament, or room, you would see lots of folks bobbing up and down. Now it’s very rare. Only a couple of people do it.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-23-2018, 03:38 AM
Majesty

I fail to see why any here should find it necessary to apologise for those who curtsey to HM and other senior royals as if they have done something wrong and distasteful.

You do not have to agree with bowing and curtseying but calling it archaic in such a way as to denigrate the person who performs it is both culturally insensitive and just plain rude.

If you find the practise anathema to you then say so and that in the extremely remote chance that you should be in the presence of royalty, shake their hand.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Well said Marg.

LaRae
Old 06-23-2018, 10:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I disagree. There is nothing about dominance in a curtsy. And, again, the fact that politicians in the UK, including the prime minister, are like any common person is a good thing.
I wouldn't expect other common people to curtsey to members of the royal family either

But again, I understand it is part of British tradition and some apparently like to uphold it, I just hope everyone is fine with a future PM not curtseying.

And I am still unsure to whom they should curtsey if they want to follow tradition. To all titled persons? Or only to her majesty and royal hignesses? Or only to peers and their spouses and not to commoners (in that case Harry was not worthy of that respect until a little over a month ago but now he is, as are all non royal dukes etc)?
Old 06-23-2018, 10:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Fetishising a Flag [an inanimate object] is REALLY archaic...

Making an obeisance to a Monarch, or her representative] is more in the nature of publicly respecting the office they hold, as the senior personage in the nation.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:03 PM
Heir Apparent

I really don't see where is the issue about curtseying. If you accept the idea of Royalty it is obvious that there is a certain respect to pay to Royals. And this respect is being expressed in bowing and curtseying. Personally I don't know how to curtsey, otherwise I would absolutely do so (I met Queen Sofia once, I didn't try curtsey fearing the ridiculous....).
Nevertheless I believe curtseying is lovely with ladies wearing long dress, the vue of legs being strangely crossed is not nice, and gives the impression than the lady is almost falling down
Old 06-24-2018, 12:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
It was once said people took comfort in the fact that, once a week at their meeting that a powerful forceful leader like Margaret Thatcher, dropped a curtsey to the Queen. It made the point that as powerful a political leader they may be there was a higher power they were accountable to and were expected (but not made) to show deference to.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:49 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I agree. It looks very, very odd to the modern eye. Not necessary. Maybe one might do it with a religious figure, but even there nothing extreme should be indulged. JMO.
Personally I would much rather bow or curtsey to a member of the Royal Family than a religious figure!
Old 06-24-2018, 06:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_royalist View Post
Personally I would much rather bow or curtsey to a member of the Royal Family than a religious figure!
Well, one is a throwback to feudalism, the other (possibly) is respect to a spiritually dedicated person (maybe).
Old 06-24-2018, 08:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_royalist View Post
I am quite the opposite. I would genuflect before a successor to the Apostles-a cardinal-without even thinking twice.

It would never occur to me not to.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 06-24-2018, 10:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I am quite the opposite. I would genuflect before a successor to the Apostles-a cardinal-without even thinking twice.

It would never occur to me not to.
Ditto...even the local Bishop.

LaRae