The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-19-2018, 04:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Christopher O'Neill is the husband of Princess Madeleine of Sweden. Upon his marriage to Madeleine, he did not want a royal title or a nobility title. Since he is not Prince Christopher, do the servants and soldiers still bow to him?
I don't know. There's no official protocol about how he should be treated. He might not be a member of the Royal House but he's a member of the Royal family. A clue should be how other members of the family like Countess Marianne Bernadotte and Thord Magnusson are greeted by the staff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Likely not simply because he is an American and would probably tell everybody to dispense with such. Same with Madeleine, I would guess. I would guess for most royalty these days. Can't imagine anyone would be able to retain servants if such an archaic habit was insisted upon.
We've seen several times both in pictures and on TV how employees at the Royal Palace greet members of the Royal family with curtseys and bowing.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:00 PM
Majesty

A deep curtsy from PM Theresa May to The Duke of Cambridge at today’s engagement

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgPIIDQU0AEX_oN.jpg

Old 06-21-2018, 06:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

I much prefer these types of curtesy's where the person doesn't appear to be holding onto the royal.

LaRae
Old 06-21-2018, 06:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
A deep curtsy from PM Theresa May to The Duke of Cambridge at today’s engagement

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgPIIDQU0AEX_oN.jpg
Still it does look weird that the prime minister (who holds an important office) is so submissive to the third in line to the throne (who only has a couple of honorary positions).
Old 06-21-2018, 06:51 PM
Royal Highness

The Duke of Cambridge is second in line, not third.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
The Duke of Cambridge is second in line, not third.
Of course, I was thinking about Queen - Prince of Wales - Duke of Cambridge, so included the reigning monarch in my numbering

Luckily, it doesn't really change the point I was trying to make. He is the third most important royal with no real official position as of yet.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I much prefer these types of curtesy's where the person doesn't appear to be holding onto the royal.

LaRae
Unless you are The Princess Royal, you back is straight and King Felipe is kissing your hand at the same time. Even the DM said "Now THAT'S a Curtsey.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/...9972184281.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Still it does look weird that the prime minister (who holds an important office) is so submissive to the third in line to the throne (who only has a couple of honorary positions).
For a woman to curtsey is in no way a submissive act. It is an act of respect or reverence defined as "an external manifestation of personal courtesy.

So yes, Theresa May is the Prime Minister, but she is paying her respects to a Prince of Great Britain and that is in no way an "honorary" position. Neither he nor she sees her as a submissive or inferior person.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Anne is doing a almost perfect curtesy...and she's not holding onto him for support!

LaRae
Old 06-21-2018, 08:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Unless you are The Princess Royal, you back is straight and King Felipe is kissing your hand at the same time. Even the DM said "Now THAT'S a Curtsey.

For a woman to curtsey is in no way a submissive act. It is an act of respect or reverence defined as "an external manifestation of personal courtesy.

So yes, Theresa May is the Prime Minister, but she is paying her respects to a Prince of Great Britain and that is in no way an "honorary" position. Neither he nor she sees her as a submissive or inferior person.
So, does William also show that same respect for the Prime Minister of his country? Or does that personal courtesy not extend to her?

And would the prime minister also curtsey to princess Michael of Kent?

The honorary positions I was thinking about were among others him being an aide de camp to her majesty; currently he is a peer but he does not hold an official office.

[Of course this is tradition and I'm from a country where that tradition is long gone - so that might make me cringe a little when elected officials with real responsibilities pay their respect in such a submissive way (just look at the picture and it is hard not to look at it as such - a simple nod as the men are expected to do would not provoke the same thought) to someone who is not yet the head of state - who doesn't at least return that same external expression of respect]
Old 06-21-2018, 08:40 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Letizia, the fiancee of Crown Prince Felipe of Spain curtseyed to Infanta Pilar.

http://www.gettyimages.com/license/50884936

Actually that’s Infanta Margarita, her husband Don Carlos Zurita is next to her, next to him is their daughter, Maria.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

The honorary positions I was thinking about were among others him being an aide de camp to her majesty; currently he is a peer but he does not hold an official office.

Actually William is a member of the Queen's Privy Council, as is Mrs May BTW.

I guess that a basic tenet of the British system of government is that politicians, including the PM, are devoid of majesty. They are supposed to be "one of us" so to speak. Majesty rests with the sovereign and, I suppose, by extension, with the sovereign's successors like William or Charles. Mrs May's attitude seems to be consistent in this sense with British practice in my opinion.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Actually William is a member of the Queen's Privy Council, as is Mrs May BTW.

I guess that a basic tenet of the British system of government is that politicians, including the PM, are devoid of majesty. They are supposed to be "one of us" so to speak. Majesty rests with the sovereign and, I suppose, by extension, with the sovereign's successors like William or Charles. Mrs May's attitude seems to be consistent in this sense with British practice in my opinion.
That's why I used plural - he has several of those positions

So, would the prime minister also curtsey to the duke of York or the duke of Sussex as non-direct heirs?
Old 06-21-2018, 09:30 PM
Majesty

I doubt she would curtsy to anyone below Willian and Catherine. Here’s the PM giving a curtsy to The Duchess of Cambridge.

http://2.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...c89&m=cdmpefih
Old 06-21-2018, 10:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
That's why I used plural - he has several of those positions

So, would the prime minister also curtsey to the duke of York or the duke of Sussex as non-direct heirs?

Honestly I don't know if Mrs May would curtsy to the Duke of Sussex or the Duke of York. My point was, however, that, in Britain, people are not expected to be deferential to the prime minister or any other elected politician. The prime minister , despite beng the de facto head of government, is supposed to be an ordinary citizen like everybody else. People are expected to be deferential to the Queen though , not only as a matter of courtesy or tradition, but because she is the embodiment of state sovereignty.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:59 PM
Courtier

It's weird to this American, as Theresa May is actually in charge, while William was simply born. I guess it's just a nod to tradition.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
When I think about it, actually Theresa May is the Prime Minister of Her Majesty's government. Although the Queen has no political power really, she does as the Prime Minister to form a government. With William being a senior royal, Mrs. May is showing respect for the monarchy when she does a curtsey to him.

At least that's how I look at it.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 06-22-2018, 01:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Here is a video of PM May giving a curtsy to The Duke of Cambridge-
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/v...-37035545.html

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-22-2018, 03:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I love that photo. The people in that photo weren't just paying their respects to the Queen but they also wore great big smiles as they did it. To show the proper respect and enjoy doing it is something you don't see to often these days.

Nothing says "gentlemanly" like a man tipping his top hat with a smile like Andrew did.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 06-22-2018, 08:00 PM
Heir Apparent

The Yorks look genuinely happy to see HM today.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Here is a video of PM May giving a curtsy to The Duke of Cambridge-
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/v...-37035545.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
A deep curtsy from PM Theresa May to The Duke of Cambridge at today’s engagement https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgPIIDQU0AEX_oN.jpg
Ms May's curtsy was awkwardly painful.