Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HRM Queen Anne-Marie...

Agree. She is delicate and beautiful like a fairy.
Queen Anne-Marie was and still is a precious gem for the Greek throne and the whole country.

Dear Fandesacs;

I SO agree with you again. She would be a wonderful Queen of Greece, just as Constantine would be a good King. But Anne-Marie is special and so Regally elegant with reserve and dignity. I believe it would be good for Greece if Constantine & Anne-Marie were restored to the Throne. But I am a Royalist of course....

Kind Regards,

Queen Angelique.

[/ATTACH]
:previous: Interestingly it seems that European royalty do a deep curtsey while the BRF just do a small bob. It reminds me of seeing historical movies and TV where the house maids say "yes ma'am" bob and scurry away. :lol::lol:

Dear MARG, you are correct;
Here in Europe the curtsies are usually deep ones, as performed by Royalty to higher ranking Royals. The Royals set the standards really, and the servants particularly & naturally, are expected to curtsy & bow low to their Royals.
I live & act as A Queen on Our Estate, and I too, expect My maids & lackeys to curtsy & bow deeply to Me. They are also trained to address Me with "Your Royal Majesty" as they curtsy & bow. In the photo below, while seated in the ante hall to My Boudoir, dressed in casual Day-Wear for My morning coffee, I am granting Audience to two new Asian maids, that My husband recently hired for Me. I am asking them questions & making sure that they are comfortable & happy, and generally getting to know them. Interestingly, they automatically curtsied/knelt down to the floor with bowed head, as that is the custom there, and they requested Me sweetly, to allow them to keep doing it that way. I considered their request, and considered it to be wise to allow them to remain faithful to their traditions, in deference to their culture. Subsequently I have found Myself rather approving of their way, as it is very beautiful, and I rather enjoy it. Hence I have since stipulated to all My staff to adopt this beautiful way of curtsying & bowing. I do believe in furthering the spirit & ethos of true Royalty & Royal Customs & protocol. In case anyone wonders, all My servants are very happy to be in My service and they enjoy living at My Royal Court in an atmosphere of bonhomie & joyfulness, while honoring My Royal nature & inclinations. My Asian maids had written to My husband and requested employment. Their resume's were rather impressive, hence I directed Jacques to hire them for Me. They are wonderful servants actually, and I have indicated to Jacques that I would appreciate a few more.
As an addendum: I have a "scribe" who reports and photographs all the Royal audiences, speeches, balls, etc, etc that take place in and around The Estate. The comments and texts on the photo's are his also.

With Kind & Royal Regards,

Would the Duke of Edinburgh have been the only one who did not curtsey to queen Elizabeth daily whenever they would first see her during the day?

(Same with prince Henrik for queen Margrethe I suppose)

Would the Duke of Edinburgh have been the only one who did not curtsey to queen Elizabeth daily whenever they would first see her during the day?

(Same with prince Henrik for queen Margrethe I suppose)

She exempted her mother and Margaret, as far as I know.

Queen Elizabeth queen mother could never be obliged to curtseys to her daughter Queen Elisabeth II as they were equals, both Queens. Could not be possible, both were H.M.
Prince Philip and princess Margaret were both HRH

Dressing beautifully, like iin the past.....

I wish people dressed like that nowadays!

Dear Leopoldine;

I whole-heartily agree with you. I would be delighted if Ladies would once again dress in such gorgeous, flowing & divine Gowns. The age of Regal elegance! May it return one day. I do My bit by always dressing accordingly, even in My day-wear. I hope you do likewise Leopoldine.

With Kind Royal Regards,

Last edited:
Long story short and I hope its okay that I ask here.

A friend of mine is writing a story where the daughter of a Baron (its a german story) meets an Earl (married to her sister). Does she have to curtsey? Or do anything beside a handshake?
And does she need to do anything to her sister? Its a family gathering where they meet first (where she meets the Earl first).
She asked me but I was not sure about that.

Long story short and I hope its okay that I ask here.

A friend of mine is writing a story where the daughter of a Baron (its a german story) meets an Earl (married to her sister). Does she have to curtsey? Or do anything beside a handshake?
And does she need to do anything to her sister? Its a family gathering where they meet first (where she meets the Earl first).
She asked me but I was not sure about that.

I have no clue of what the protocol would be in this day and age but if the story is somewhere in the past, like even in the 19th century, women would curtsy to men and men would bow to the ladies. This is reminiscent from me watching Pride and Prejudice in movies too many times. :)

I have no clue of what the protocol would be in this day and age but if the story is somewhere in the past, like even in the 19th century, women would curtsy to men and men would bow to the ladies. This is reminiscent from me watching Pride and Prejudice in movies too many times. :)

As far as I know its set in 1999/2000, so quite nowadays.

As far as I know its set in 1999/2000, so quite nowadays.

Members of the nobility do not curtsy to each other, so I would say no.

Since her brother-in-law in the story is an Earl, she would only have to address him as "Lord [designation of the title]".

Members of the nobility do not curtsy to each other, so I would say no.

Since her brother-in-law in the story is an Earl, she would only have to address him as "Lord [designation of the title]".

However, the story is taking place in Germany, so I don't think 'Lord' would apply. Not sure what address would be used though.

However, the story is taking place in Germany, so I don't think 'Lord' would apply. Not sure what address would be used though.

Ah no, its written in german. The Earl is from somewhere in England, she hasnt decided on his name yet. The wife is german and so is her sister.
It's not about this Earl in particular, so not a nobiltystory or something.
Its just that the sister happen to be daughters of a Baron and one of them has married an Earl. It's just a scene, or maybe some scenes. The story itself is about the sister, not the wife.

We only wondered if there was any special greeting on their first meeting.

I understood that the character is an English Earl, not a German Count, and therefore he should be addressed in the usual British fashion, even overseas.

I understood that the character is an English Earl, not a German Count, and therefore he should be addressed in the usual British fashion, even overseas.

Yes, exactly.

As it's a family encounter where they meet first, maybe it doesnt matter if she only shakes his hand (which he reaches out to her.)

Young aristocrats are pretty informal and relaxed nowadays. I don’t think there would necessarily be a terribly formal greeting between people in their twenties say, especially between family members. They could just say Hello and how are you?

I don't think so. The British address foreign nobility or royalty in the British fashion and not with the address used in their own countries.

:previous: No matter what she wears, Mary always manages to pull off an elegant and respectful curtsey. Perhaps she chose wide-legged trousers with the added volume enabling her to not look wierd.

:previous: No matter what she wears, Mary always manages to pull off an elegant and respectful curtsey. Perhaps she chose wide-legged trousers with the added volume enabling her to not look wierd.

Curtsies always look better in skirts (preferably below the knee).

If a Crown Prince becomes Prince Regent, does he still have to bow to reigning monarchs of other countries?

If a Crown Prince becomes Prince Regent, does he still have to bow to reigning monarchs of other countries?

The Tsar & King of Prussia were in London in 1814 to celebrate victory over France (prematurely as it turned out of course). At this time Prinny had been Prince Regent for three years so there may be some information somewhere about precedence etc.

Last edited:
From this

:https://georgianera.wordpress.com/2...tended-by-the-allied-sovereigns-20-june-1814/

"The Prince Regent entered the park with his hat off, bowing to the vast assembly, the Emperor Alexander riding on his right hand, and the king of Prussia on his left,"

If he'd just been the PofW instead of PR would he have ridden behind the two monarchs? Maybe that gives a clue to his status vis-a-vis the two sovereigns possibly?

I’d suggest the fact that all three rode together had more to do with them being representatives of three of the major victorious nations vital to the defeat of Napoleon than any question of precedence at that particular moment.

Last edited:
I’d suggest the fact that all three rode together had more to do with them being representatives of the three major victorious nations vital to the defeat of Napoleon than any question of precedence at that particular moment.

Yes I think you're probably right. That was my thinking when I first read the article.

Last edited:
Crown Princes in Scandinavia are frequently Regent. Does that affect anything?

Back
Top Bottom