Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well there's an old saying not to believe everything you read and I always ignore articles that read 'Duchess Kate' as there's no such person,I know I'm too picky ;)

Let's face it, we might as well try to hold back the sea. Duchess Catherine and Duchess Meghan sound more friendly and we know who they are talking about when they talk of cuetsies.

Should I ever be lucky enough to meet any Royals, I don’t intend to curtsy Plus I think it adds pressure to all those presenting bouquets etc. Its generally a fleeting moment but how many will say they can’t remember much as they were worried about their curtsy? A welcoming smile and handshake are more genuine.

Well there's an old saying not to believe everything you read and I always ignore articles that read 'Duchess Kate' as there's no such person,I know I'm too picky ;)

What are you referring to when you say there is no such person as Duchess Kate? Do you mean it should be Duchess Catherine, or do you just not consider her a Duchess?

:previous: It's not the proper way to address her, is all. It's the way an amateur would call a newly minted Royal Duchess

It's a small thing, I know. But it's as grating and irritating to hear Kate called "Duchess Kate" as it is to hear her addressed as Kate Middleton and Meghan as Meghan Markle.

Neither are correct. Just say HRH or The DoC if you can't be bothered with The Duchess of Cambridge, for goodness sake!:bang:

:previous: It's not the proper way to address her, is all. It's the way an amateur would call a newly minted Royal Duchess

It's a small thing, I know. But it's as grating and irritating to hear Kate called "Duchess Kate" as it is to hear her addressed as Kate Middleton and Meghan as Meghan Markle.

Neither are correct. Just say HRH or The DoC if you can't be bothered with The Duchess of Cambridge, for goodness sake!:bang:

I get your point, I guess it's just that HRH is too general. You could be referring to numerous people. She is the Duchess of Cambridge, her name is Catherine, but went by Kate before being royal, so that is how people identify her more easily and directly than just HRH. I mean, people referred to Diana as "Princess" Diana and she was in fact not a Princess.

:previous: "HRH" is too general, unless it's during the course of a conversation where the DoC is the topic. That's what I meant. Otherwise she would be the Duchess of Cambridge or "the DoC" as I call her.?

ETA: I never called Diana "Princess Diana" or the egregious "Lady Di" after she married Charles. I

Last edited:
:previous: "HRH" is too general, unless it's during the course of a conversation where the DoC is the topic. That's what I meant. Otherwise she would be the Duchess of Cambridge or "the DoC" as I call her.?

ETA: I never called Diana "Princess Diana" or the egregious "Lady Di" after she married Charles.

Gotcha! ?

One thing to remember when addressing a married in female to the British royal family is that they're addressed as they're styled. Kate is HRH The Duchess of Cambridge. No first names are used. In fact, part of Kate's titles is Princess William. Usage of the female's first name followed by the style, for example, Diana, Princess of Wales and Sarah, Duchess of York denotes a divorced woman that was once married to a peer of the UK. Its then they can use their given names and retain the use of their title/style until they remarry again.

There's a really good thread that goes into explaining all the ins and outs of British titles and styles and makes for a good read. Its located here:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/questions-about-british-styles-and-titles-258.html

Happy reading!! Great place to learn all you ever needed or wanted to know about titles and styles. :D

I think the name first before title can indicate a widow as well as a divorced person.

LaRae

I think people call Catherine, Duchess Kate, out of a love for her not to Demi is her place in the Family, Society or Position. No one means disrespect and I believe if anyone met Catherine, they would use the correct title appropriate for the event, time and how familiar they are with her.

'Call me old fashioned', but I refer to people by their proper names or title, unless they have indicated to me [personally] that they'ed prefer to be called by something else, a nickname or some such..

What are you referring to when you say there is no such person as Duchess Kate? Do you mean it should be Duchess Catherine, or do you just not consider her a Duchess?

Its the Duchess of Cambridge or Duchess of Sussex there's no such title as 'Duchess Kate or Meghan' its just a silly media one. It might be cute but its incorrect.

https://www.royal.uk/the-duchess-of-cambridge

On the video of President Chirac , litlle curtsey from Madame.
Not a lot od bows yesterday at the Funerals.
Bows and curtseys are mostly over in our Countries

Last edited:
:previous: It's a great photo and a wonderful curtsey but it looks soo uncomfortable!!:lol::ohmy:

:previous: It's a great photo and a wonderful curtsey but it looks soo uncomfortable!!:lol::ohmy:

It isn't actually. Uncomfortable, I mean. When you watch a video of the same thing, it's an elegant and/but a pretty quick "dip".

I found this interview with Alistair Bruce who is historical adviser on Downton Abbey (and equerry to the Earl of Wessex). Towards the end of the article he talks about curtseying and the difference between a "housemaid's bob" and a real curtsey.

Apparently, Lady Susan Hussey has one of the best curtseys.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/l...ownton-abbey-historical-advisor-royal-family/

My piano teacher says I do a beautiful curtsy; and I agree! We did this exercise a few years ago where you play chords with loose wrists and the book actually said "Dipping; rising", and I told her it's like your wrist is doing a curtsy!

:previous: Beautifully and gracefully executed without losing any of the familial warmth between the two couples.?

Excellent curtseys by CP Victoria, nevertheless I cannot understand why she curtseyd to K Felipe and to the Dutch royal Couple but not to queen Letizia, unless I missed it.

Because she did it just before the video started so we all missed it.

Excellent curtseys by CP Victoria, nevertheless I cannot understand why she curtseyd to K Felipe and to the Dutch royal Couple but not to queen Letizia, unless I missed it.

I did see a video of Crown Princess Victoria curtsying to queen Letizia,it might have been just not in that particular video.

The one thing I was wondering - I saw CP Victoria curtsying to the now Japanese CP Kiko. Being a CP herself - why would she need to curtsey?

Back
Top Bottom