Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The "which leg goes back in a curtsey" conversation makes me want to find all the pictures of ladies curtseying and seeing which leg is dominant, and seeing if, as Ista suggested, it's correlated with the preferred writing hand.

(I prefer to move my right leg back, as I feel sturdier on my left. And I'm right handed.)

I'm in my 60s and remember that I was taught one or the other was the leg that went behind, but for the life of me I cannot remember which leg I was taught was the right one. So, not great training.

The reason we learned to curtsey at my school was that I went to a Catholic grade school and we had to curtsey whenever we crossed past the Tabernacle. It was a pretty quick bob, but one did have to square up to the tabernacle.

We learned a very proper curtsey to the the statue of Mary for some religious event. I remember practicing depth and speed for that religious event. It was big deal.

I had not thought about this for a loooong time.

I'm in my 60s and remember that I was taught one or the other was the leg that went behind, but for the life of me I cannot remember which leg I was taught was the right one. So, not great training.

The reason we learned to curtsey at my school was that I went to a Catholic grade school and we had to curtsey whenever we crossed past the Tabernacle. It was a pretty quick bob, but one did have to square up to the tabernacle.

Technically, I believe Catholics don't curtsy in church, but rather "genuflect". I also think it is done with the left leg behind (or, at least, that is how I've always seen it being done).

Last edited:
Technically, I believe Catholics don't curtsy in church, but rather "genuflect". I also think it is done with the left leg behind (or, at least, that is how I've always seen it being done).
Personally I genuflect with my right knee touching the ground if I'm entering the pew from the left. I do the opposite if I'm entering from the right. ?

Personally I genuflect with my right knee touching the ground if I'm entering the pew from the left. I do the opposite if I'm entering from the right. ?

As a child, I was taught at school that one's knee is actually supposed to touch the ground when genuflecting, but I do think that most people (including myself) just bend the knee, which is more "practical".

On the left or right debate, maybe it is like curtsying after all and people do it either way.

Last edited:
As far as genuflecting is concerned in the Catholic Church, there is one knee touching the ground for God (tabernacle), and the other for a human high authorities (monarchs, etc). I just don't remember which knee for what (left, right)

A old collection of the British Royal Family bowing, curtsying and hand-kissing- Enjoy!

A old collection of the British Royal Family bowing, curtsying and hand-kissing- Enjoy!
Magnificent video, thanks a lot
Elegant people executing effortless bow and courtseys, like ballet dancers, well dressed and classy. Lovely

:previous: Nicely done and an interesting occasion. The dynamics were very interesting.

Very nice ..I always give extra points when a curtsey is done well by a heavily pregnant woman.;)

Yes, I think that gets an automatic ten out of ten points. And Meghan's posture is excellent, as usual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice curtsies from the Princess Royal and Princess Alessandra of Hanover!

It's always nice to see Sarah and Andrew together. ?

I wish Sarah would put her hand down until she's done with the curtsey.

I wish Sarah would put her hand down until she's done with the curtsey.

The Fail calls it her "trademark" and "signature" deep curtsy, as she always greets the Queen with an elaborate one. It also says that the curtsy is a fine art to perfect (I agree), and I seem to have it down; my piano and vocal teacher says I do a beautiful curtsy.

P.S. I'm not a fan of Sarah's purple shoes with her gold dress and green hat and handbag; green ones would have better matched her outfit.

Hello
Can someone explain why Princess Haya courtseys to prjnce Charles?
They are both kids of King /Queen, and princess Haya is at this moment wife of a ruling prince. She should not curtsey imo20190704_070506.jpeg

:previous: Hmmm...good question. It was perhaps just simple courtesy because they are of the same rank.

She was not obliged to curtsey to Charles.

Back
Top Bottom