Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that Charlene's curtsy was a mistake, a minor one of course, and probably borne out of her being in the habit of curtsying to royals during her fiance years.

Note that Albert did not bow.

She shouldn’t in my book. The Prince of Wales is the heir, the Princess is the consort of a sovereign. In my book, he should nod to her and she should gracefully accept his respect for her station. Then again, royalty who has married into royal families tend to make these errors from time to time. I would hand it down to a bit of nerves and a wish to avoid mistakes, therein leading to the mistake. As far as mistakes go however, this is certainly the smallest one to make. The only reason it’s a little more fun than some others, is the visibility of it ;)

There is another side of the argument that some have made, and that is that titles reflect different ranks of royalty. For example, as heads of state, most presidents and kings do not bow to the only emperor left, the Japanese one, but some, including Obama, have chosen to bow, and that is technically not wrong. The rank of Emperor is the highest one to be had in our world of titles, whereas kings and presidents would be equalled at tier 2 of a ‘ranking ladder’. Royal Highnesses outrank Serene Highnesses, who would equal Grand-Ducal Highnesses, who all outrank Highnesses etc etc.
However, in the world today, it would appear to me that most would equalize one head of state with another, regardless of title, with the possible exceptions of an Imperial Majesty and His Holiness the Pope, who for historical and religious reasons are still held in the highest tier of esteem and reverence. After that, one sovereign does not need to bow to another, but can choose to, as, again, it is simply a mark of respect and not the claimed act of subservience by those who have little historical or cultural appreciation.
An heir to a throne would genuflect/bow to a sovereign, and a member of a royal family would do the same to any other member who outranks them. Everyone else, from ministers to citizens, who choose to follow the custom, would genuflect/bow to all of the above in an encounter and would never be wrong for doing so.

Even if we accept the debatable notion that the sovereign of a principality should not bow to the heir of a kingdom, Charlene is not a sovereign, but rather merely a consort.

Last edited:
I think that Charlene's curtsy was a mistake, a minor one of course, and probably borne out of her being in the habit of curtsying to royals during her fiance years.

Note that Albert did not bow.

Yes I noticed that Albert didn't bow which was correct. Charles and Camilla should have bowed/curtsied to him and his wife.

Yes I noticed that Albert didn't bow which was correct. Charles and Camilla should have bowed/curtsied to him and his wife.

Charles never bowed to the Grand Duke of Luxembourg (a sovereign HRH). Why should he bow the Prince of Monaco (a sovereign HSH) ?

The word should is wrong. A curtsey or a bow is always optional and never required.

Sorry but i don't understand why Princess Charlene should curtsey, she is the wife of a ruling Prince, and Prince Charles is the Prince of Wales, it doesn't look correct to curtsey.

A curtsey or a bow are always an option, never a requirement. Equally someone is free to go through the knees. If Princess Charlène has the urge to curtsy to The Prince of Wales, it is never wrong. After all she greeted him and that was the purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
The word should is wrong. A curtsey or a bow is always optional and never required.

I agree but if that case there's little point in having this thread. Just no one bow or cutsey to anyone and forget about it.

Last edited:
Even if we accept the debatable notion that the sovereign of a principality should not bow to the heir of a kingdom, Charlene is not a sovereign, but rather merely a consort.

She is, just as I wrote in the first sentence of the text you quoted :)

We were not required to bow or curtsy but we were expected to treat others with respect at all times. There was a time though I was required to bow and that was after the symphony orchestra I played with finished, we all stood up and bowed to the audience in appreciation for their clapping.

I sometimes curtsy to my piano/vocal teacher during recital prep, when I'm doing a complete run through during my lesson and she pretends she's the whole audience and applauds me when I'm done ("A little curtsy?" she cutely asked me in her girlish voice one time after I did one), although last year at the year-end recital I was feeling a little bit shy about curtsying to the entire audience, so on my way back to my seat I stopped in front of hers in the front row and just gave her a little dip (I was wearing a floor-length lightweight white summer dress); she smiled prettily back at me.

We were not required to bow or curtsy but we were expected to treat others with respect at all times. There was a time though I was required to bow and that was after the symphony orchestra I played with finished, we all stood up and bowed to the audience in appreciation for their clapping.

How fun, I never thought of the performers bowing (I don't remember seeing anyone do a curtsy - like sarahedwards2) to the audience as them showing appreciation for the applause of the audience. I mainly think of it as the way they receive the appreciation of the crowds.

How fun, I never thought of the performers bowing (I don't remember seeing anyone do a curtsy - like sarahedwards2) to the audience as them showing appreciation for the applause of the audience. I mainly think of it as the way they receive the appreciation of the crowds.

At the recital my teacher says to take a little bow after your performance, but almost no one does. I asked my teacher about it and she said they’re all too shy or nervous to do it.

She is the wife of a sovereign prince.. so outranks an heir...
You are correct however I believe we have to leave room for the human factor. Charlene is or was South African and the Queen is the head of the Commonwealth. That means, in the abstract, that the BRF were "her" royal family growing up and like most would respect them and expect to probably never actually meet one of them.

Then bang, years have passed, she has grown up, married a Prince and is herself HSH Princess Charlene and suddenly she is face to face with "her" royal family and she curtseys whether automatically or because it is a mark of respect to someone she has held in respect for most of her life is unknown.

What is known is the HSH Princess Charlene of Monaco has impeccable manners and her (unnecessary) curtsey probably provided a pleasant ice-breaker.

Coverage of the US Open Tennis Women's semifinal discussed Osaka's practice of bowing to the crowd after the match.

It was an interesting discussion. Osaka was born in Japan to an American Dad/Japanese Mom and the family moved to the US when she was 3. Eventually, she had to make a choice of what country to represent. Dad decided (I think it was Chris Evert - but one of the TV talking hands that relayed this) on Japan as there was less competition for top spots and funding in Japanese tennis. A big part of the chat was about Osaka straddling two cultures at the tender age of 20. And how the bow helps her to do that.

And I would agree that bows help show respect for cultures that recognize them. Imagine a world where we all had to stop and bow when we were getting in a heated argument. The pause alone would be refreshing. I can dream. :flowers:

You are correct however I believe we have to leave room for the human factor. Charlene is or was South African and the Queen is the head of the Commonwealth. That means, in the abstract, that the BRF were "her" royal family growing up and like most would respect them and expect to probably never actually meet one of them.

Then bang, years have passed, she has grown up, married a Prince and is herself HSH Princess Charlene and suddenly she is face to face with "her" royal family and she curtseys whether automatically or because it is a mark of respect to someone she has held in respect for most of her life is unknown.

What is known is the HSH Princess Charlene of Monaco has impeccable manners and her (unnecessary) curtsey probably provided a pleasant ice-breaker.
You are right. I would also like to point out this discus that there is another important factor :the respect. Technically princess Charlene is not obliged to curtsey neither they were Carla Bruni or Bernadette Chirac beu they did. From respect to the queen and her age I believe

Are First Ladies expected to courtesy to monarchs?. Melanie Trump didn't courtesy to Queen Elizabeth neither she courtesy to King Abdullah during his and Queen Rania's visit to US.

No they aren't. Presidents and their wives are equals to other world leaders and their wives.

LaRae

Are First Ladies expected to courtesy to monarchs?. Melanie Trump didn't courtesy to Queen Elizabeth neither she courtesy to King Abdullah during his and Queen Rania's visit to US.

No. According to the US Office of Protocol, the wife of a sitting President cannot be seen to curtsy to any monarch.

The exception was Catholic First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy making an impressive three curtsies to Pope John XXIII during a private audience in 1962, but that was in his position as Bishop of Rome and not as Vatican Head of State.

Nancy Reagan insisted on committing a faux pas against the advice of her Protocol expert when she curtsied to HM Elizabeth II..but that is another story for another thread.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
It was Sarah’s father’s proudest moment when Sarah curtsied to the Queen at the end of her and Andrew’s wedding; I wonder if it was the same for Andrew yesterday?

I was impressed with that deep curtesy. A big dress, probably a not os light tiara and heels and she managed that. That´s skill.

have a question on the matter of the DEPTH of the curtsy. in The Queen, it's mentioned that "the depth of the curtsy, I leave that to my sister".....years ago, the King or Queen received the deepest one...and so on down the line. any info on this?

Eugenie's curtesy was quite impressive.

Back
Top Bottom