Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, that ballet training really shows!

LaRae

In the British royal weddings I understand that the new couple bows and curtsey while leaving the church not when arriving, in opposition to the other countries, like Spain or Denmark when the do it arriving.
But I have the impression that Harry and Meghan didn't do at all, I'm wrong?

In the British royal weddings I understand that the new couple bows and curtsey while leaving the church not when arriving, in opposition to the other countries, like Spain or Denmark when the do it arriving.
But I have the impression that Harry and Meghan didn't do at all, I'm wrong?

Yes, just missed it, many did. They curtseyed/bowed when they came back from signing the registrar. Unfortunately the only camera on them when they did, was an aerial shot so it wasn't easy to see.

Yes, just missed it, many did. They curtseyed/bowed when they came back from signing the registrar. Unfortunately the only camera on them when they did, was an aerial shot so it wasn't easy to see.
Thanks. I was thinking that it was not possible they did not

I assume they must have other shot from other angle and I hope they are editing it and will upload it to the royal family YT channel as they just took down the live video on YT.

Here are some curtsies from other royal brides:
Mette Marit:
Mary:
Victoria:
Madeleine:
(another worst angle from the back)
Stephanie: https://youtu.be/rCGIcQhDvH8?t=54m14s (it's more like a bow?)

I am not sure about that but I guess Benelux doesn't have the tradition of curtsying even in wedding? I don't find any video of Maxima and Mathilde.

I am not sure about that but I guess Benelux doesn't have the tradition of curtsying even in wedding? I don't find any video of Maxima and Mathilde.

Could it have something to do with that the couples were already married at the time of the church wedding? They'd had the legally binding civil service earlier in the day so both of the brides were already members of the Royal family.

Harry bowed his head and Meghan curtsied. The camera angle was from over head and right as they starting doing it they cut away from the couple.

LaRae

I had hoped there would be a still shot, but it looks like a no on that as well.

I assume they must have other shot from other angle and I hope they are editing it and will upload it to the royal family YT channel as they just took down the live video on YT.

Here are some curtsies from other royal brides:

Mette Marit:

Mary:

Victoria:

Madeleine:
(another worst angle from the back)

Stephanie: https://youtu.be/rCGIcQhDvH8?t=54m14s (it's more like a bow?)

They all did it at the beginning before they were handed off; who were they curtsying to?

Last edited:
They all did it at the beginning before they were handed off; who were they curtsying to?
Sorry but I still don't see the exact moment. For Charles and Diana, Andrew and Sarah, William and Kate the moment was clear, when the married couple started leaving the church. Here not.

Sorry but I still don't see the exact moment. For Charles and Diana, Andrew and Sarah, William and Kate the moment was clear, when the married couple started leaving the church. Here not.

Immediately after "God Save the Queen" before they start moving for the recessional.

I think they are for the monarchs (or specifically to their monarch), Mette Marit and Mary only curtsied to the right side as the monarchs sat there (respectively right in front of Harald and Margrethe), and Victoria curtsied to both side as the monarchs sat on both sides. But I am not sure about Stephanie's as the royal guests sat on the left side and she bowed to both side.

The Scandinavians actually bow and curtsy twice, after they enter the church and before they leave.

Victoria:

All because of the aerial shot, Meghan's curtsy wasn't showed clearly but it is pretty clear that Harry bowed his head.

Collective bowing and curtsying for Queen Margrethe II at Crown Prince Frederik's 50th birthday gala banquet (plus a few additional scenes from the event).

Christopher O'Neill is the husband of Princess Madeleine of Sweden. Upon his marriage to Madeleine, he did not want a royal title or a nobility title. Since he is not Prince Christopher, do the servants and soldiers still bow to him?

Christopher O'Neill is the husband of Princess Madeleine of Sweden. Upon his marriage to Madeleine, he did not want a royal title or a nobility title. Since he is not Prince Christopher, do the servants and soldiers still bow to him?

Likely not simply because he is an American and would probably tell everybody to dispense with such. :flowers: Same with Madeleine, I would guess. I would guess for most royalty these days. Can't imagine anyone would be able to retain servants if such an archaic habit was insisted upon.

Likely not simply because he is an American and would probably tell everybody to dispense with such. :flowers: Same with Madeleine, I would guess. I would guess for most royalty these days. Can't imagine anyone would be able to retain servants if such an archaic habit was insisted upon.

I believe that the OP meant "the Royal Court staff" when he/she used the word "servants".

Actually, I don't think anybody refers to people that are employed by royal households or any household anymore as "servants". The correct term to use is "staff" and they are in their roles as professionals and take pride in the work they do.

A good book to read on this subject would be "Not In Front Of The Corgis" by Brian Hoey. Household staffs have their own hierarchy and ways of doing things. Opened my eyes. :D

Actually, I don't think anybody refers to people that are employed by royal households or any household anymore as "servants". The correct term to use is "staff" and they are in their roles as professionals and take pride in the work they do.

A good book to read on this subject would be "Not In Front Of The Corgis" by Brian Hoey. Household staffs have their own hierarchy and ways of doing things. Opened my eyes. [emoji3]
Queen Elizabeth was once quoted as saying that she had no servants but many members of staff.

I don't know. There's no official protocol about how he should be treated. He might not be a member of the Royal House but he's a member of the Royal family. A clue should be how other members of the family like Countess Marianne Bernadotte and Thord Magnusson are greeted by the staff.
We've seen several times both in pictures and on TV how employees at the Royal Palace greet members of the Royal family with curtseys and bowing.

Back
Top Bottom