Abdications

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HRHofNothing

Aristocracy
City
somewhere in
Country
Canada
Abdication

Who is most likely to abdicate? Who will never consider that as a possibility in a million years? Who probably wants to but circumstances are preventing them from doing so? Discuss

Queen Beatrix is probably most likely; I think abdication has sort of become a tradition in the Dutch monarchy. Queen Elizabeth II I think would never even consider it and has more or less said so as I recall. As to who wants to but cannot do so, I have no idea, I'd have to know all of them a whole lot better to even make a guess.

I'm happy that Queen Elisabeth doesn't plan to abdicate. I think that Great Britain will lose very much in a day when she's gone. In Great Britain was always great queen: Elisabeth I, Queen Victoria and Elisabeth II. Kings? Nothing special. For example king Henri VI remind me always this story with his six wifes, wharever he did for the country. Prince Charles, yes, I like him, but he reminds me about Diana and Camilla story. Prince William in media is like celebrity who sometimes did sth for charity. Well, Angelina Jolie did it too.

So: God, save the Queen.

I guess these issues are related to the first King Albert, the second of King Harald, King Juan Carlos as the third.

Queen Elizabeth II will not waiver.

Greatness is in the eye of the beholder and often has alot to do with the time and place and with who gets to write your story and how well they do. Elizabeth I had great "press" people and gets alot of credit for great accomplishments during her reign that she didn't really have much to do with. Queen Victoria, oddly enough, all but abdicated for a very long time after Albert died. She was an amazing woman and yet if a monarch displayed her behavior today they would probably be torn to shreds in the media. On the other hand King Edward I was, I think, always considered one of the greatest of English kings but since the movie "Braveheart" everyone thinks of him as an evil, butchering villain. Henry V and Richard the Lionheart are still usually well thought of and I think King George VI was an amazing monarch and a very great man.

Anyhoo, has Prince Hans-Adam II formally abdicated yet? If not, he might make the list.

:previous:
Hans-Adam remains the Reigning Prince and Head of the Princely House. Alois is Regent.

Greatness is in the eye of the beholder and often has alot to do with the time and place and with who gets to write your story and how well they do. Elizabeth I had great "press" people and gets alot of credit for great accomplishments during her reign that she didn't really have much to do with. Queen Victoria, oddly enough, all but abdicated for a very long time after Albert died. She was an amazing woman and yet if a monarch displayed her behavior today they would probably be torn to shreds in the media. On the other hand King Edward I was, I think, always considered one of the greatest of English kings but since the movie "Braveheart" everyone thinks of him as an evil, butchering villain. Henry V and Richard the Lionheart are still usually well thought of and I think King George VI was an amazing monarch and a very great man.

Anyhoo, has Prince Hans-Adam II formally abdicated yet? If not, he might make the list.

I agree that greatness is often in the eye of the beholder e.g. I think Henry VIII was a great king as he broke England away from a foreign power that could, and often did, interfere in the affairs of his country.

I have little regard for Richard I who beggared his country to go and fight foreign wars while his much maligned brother (and a lot of the criticism is justified) stayed at home and tried to govern a bankrupt country. I rate John more highly than Richard as a result.

Wow, I gotta take your picture...:photo:...I've never come across anyone who favors King John over King Richard. I cannot say I agree but kudos to you for coming to your own conclusion and swimming against the current. :hmm:

:plantagenet::englandflag:

Abdication is nothing out of the ordinary that is the decision of the monarch that he or she does not want to hold or run that postion anymore.
Even modern times two kings (Cambodia,Bhutan) one queen the late Juilana (Netherlands) and one grand duke Jean (Luxembourg) all did the above for their sons or a daughter.

:previous:But to be fair all monarchies are not the same and there are a great many for which abdication would be all but unthinkable. In Britain, for example, abdication is, as I understand it, still viewed as something rather disgraceful. The countries you mentioned have traditions of abdicating being almost standard procedure (well, except maybe Cambodia but then King Sihanouk is in a class by himself in a multitude of ways) but many other countries do not.
:king3:

In what countries do Kings/Queens not abdicate, but stay King/Queen until they die?
I only heard about Norway.

Queen Margrethe of Denmark will stay put - till she "drops off the chair" as she has put it. Just like all her predecessors.

:previous:But to be fair all monarchies are not the same and there are a great many for which abdication would be all but unthinkable. In Britain, for example, abdication is, as I understand it, still viewed as something rather disgraceful. The countries you mentioned have traditions of abdicating being almost standard procedure (well, except maybe Cambodia but then King Sihanouk is in a class by himself in a multitude of ways) but many other countries do not.
:king3:

I am not saying all monarchies have monarchs who abdicate I am talking about they have the choice to do to hold their postions for life or abdicate.
I know Luxembourg and Netherlands are known for their monarchs abdications but Cambodia and Bhutan are not.

In what countries do Kings/Queens not abdicate, but stay King/Queen until they die?
I only heard about Norway.

I only know of The Netherlands where they routinely abdicate in Europe.

Japan, Britain, Spain, Sweden and Denmark all have a history of staying put. I think Belgium also stays put. Russia and Germany also stayed there until death.

The abdication of Edward VIII of GB was so rare that it caused a major upheaval.

Queen Elizabeth II will never abdicate and I don't think many other Monarchs are heading for the door.

Is there anything to prevent Queen Beatrix reigning until her death?

I think only the most exceptional and unusual circumstances would most monarchs decide to abdicate. More likely a regent would be put in place if the monarch became incapacitated due to ill health.

Even though it has been done in the past, I do not believe that Queen Beatrix will abdicate until she is certain the Dutch people will accept WA as their king.
The royal landscape has changed so much with the current generation of princes (esses) in waiting. The monarchs will be advised to secure the next generation's place in history before leaving the scene.

Queen Elizabeth II will never abdicate and I don't think many other Monarchs are heading for the door.

I agree that Elizabeth won't abdicate but then again I do think back to her 21st birthday promise 'to serve you all my life'.

What if the best way for her to 'serve' Britain is to abdicate? I can't imagine that situation so this is a 'what if' scenario.

Say she was diagnosed with early stages of alzheimers and so knew that she would eventually lose her faculties. Would she then consider abdication to prevent a regency rather than a full time new monarch? In that way she might feel it was the best way to 'serve' the country would be for her to step aside, assist Charles for a short period before losing her faculties and being unable to carry out her duties, maybe even attend her son's coronation.

Just musing mind you.

I agree that Elizabeth won't abdicate but then again I do think back to her 21st birthday promise 'to serve you all my life'.

What if the best way for her to 'serve' Britain is to abdicate? I can't imagine that situation so this is a 'what if' scenario.

Say she was diagnosed with early stages of alzheimers and so knew that she would eventually lose her faculties. Would she then consider abdication to prevent a regency rather than a full time new monarch? In that way she might feel it was the best way to 'serve' the country would be for her to step aside, assist Charles for a short period before losing her faculties and being unable to carry out her duties, maybe even attend her son's coronation.

Just musing mind you.

Good point, although I hope that this won't come true!

I hope QEII will never abdicate.. She is good as queen.

There were rumours that King Albert of Belgium was considering abdication but decided not to due to the recent political situation. I think Queen Beatrix would abdicate when her grandchildren are old enough for their father to resume the throne. Grand Duke Henri may abdicate in the distant future (once Guillaume is married, with children and considerable experience) as his father Jean did.

Never going to abdicate: Queen Elizabeth, King Harald, King Carl Gustav, Queen Margrethe, Emperor Akihito.

I think Good Queen Beatrix should go on and on. The Prince of Orange and Maxima should be allowed to enjoy their family life - and in the meantime they should take on more official activities to take the pressure off HM. Good Queen Elizabeth must not and should not and cannot abdicate. She represents the best in the UK and British people appreciate very young and aged monarchs. It is preferable if Charles and Camilla stay out of the picture.

Good Queen Elizabeth must not and should not and cannot abdicate. She represents the best in the UK and British people appreciate very young and aged monarchs. It is preferable if Charles and Camilla stay out of the picture.
E2R already stated that she would continue to rule until she dies. Come to think of it no regent in the UK ever abdicating, except for the Duke of Windsor.
I think it's simply not in the cards for them.

Charlotte_Aster said:
E2R already stated that she would continue to rule until she dies. Come to think of it no regent in the UK ever abdicating, except for the Duke of Windsor.
I think it's simply not in the cards for them.

How about Charles I? Does that count? I believe he abdicated

:previous:
Charles I remained King of England, King of Scotland and King of Ireland until his execution.

Personally I think abdication should only be done under extreme circumstances. Royalty is a from birth to death occupation. Meaning that abdication denies the foundation of Royalty. (especially, if it is only because the monarch is old).

I would expect the "big" Monarchies to not have abdications - Q. Elizabeth II, K. Juan Carlos I, Q. Margrethe II, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen Elizabeth II has said that she will not abdicate I am pretty sure. Her health seems to be good so perhaps she will even break the 72 year record of Louis XIV for longest reigning European monarch.

Queen Elizabeth II has said that she will not abdicate I am pretty sure. Her health seems to be good so perhaps she will even break the 72 year record of Louis XIV for longest reigning European monarch.

She didn't actually say that she wouldn't abdicate but rather that she would serve Britain and the Commonwealth for her entire life - so if the best way should could serve Britain was to abdicate then she would do so - but I do agree I can't see her ever abdicating. She regards her coronation oath as binding and also believes that she was chosen by God to be in this position - not in the Divine Right of Kings mind you but that she was God's chosen person to be the monarch at this time in history (I believe that God chose me to be a teacher by the way).

To surpass Louis she will have to live to 97.

Now a lot of people reach 85 in good health but go downhill rapidly in their early 90s - especially if they start to get any sort of health problems.

I notice that this week she cancelled an engagement due to a cold - not a big thing in itself but coming just before a 24 hour flight to Australia with the attendant air conditioning etc on those flights I do hope that she doesn't pick up some other bug.

Even with ill health there would be no need for abdication, a regency could be put in place with QE2 still the reigning monarch and the POW as regent exercising the powers of the monarch.

Back
Top Bottom