Would They Have Married?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

auntie

Royal Highness
City
Middlesex
Country
United Kingdom
There is something I have always wondered, which of the Princesses, CPrincesses, Queen's etc. would have married their husband it they were for instance consruction workers or even missle class?! Please explain.

I'll start:
CP MM of Norway, I'm definitly sure of it, she and Haakon seem to have such an understanding of each other, their faces express a thousand words.

I think that CP Mary would have married CP Frederik, even if Frederik wasn't a CP

I wonder if Marie Chantal would have married Pavlos if he wasnt royal.
right now she gets all the perks of royalty (tiaras, invites to royal weddings etc) without all the slog work and paparazzi attention.

I like her. (i sometimes wonder if i'm the only who does) and i think they have a happy marriage but I wonder if she could stand up to the difficulties of a royal life.

Quite all newest Crown Princesses, like Maxima, Mary, Masako from Japan and Letizia are very well-educated commoners, who had really successful carears in the past, so it must have been a bit hard for them to give it all up and started the public job of the Princess. So the only answer here is- a real LOVE...

I think it actually would have been easier for Haakon to convince Mette-Marit to marry him if he hadn't been royal. She never seemed to me as someone who craved the royal spotlight. If she had been, I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't have been living together before they married, and married earlier instead.

The only one I really doubt is MC and CP Pavlos. I think it was made very obvious that it was a very sweet deal for both sides. Not that they don't love each other (and I hope they do with 4 children), but I'm sure the marriage would never have happened if titles weren't involved.

Princess Robijn said:
I think that CP Mary would have married CP Frederik, even if Frederik wasn't a CP

So you think she would have kept up the trans atlantic relationship if he was a brick layer?

What about other royals- from the Dutch/Danish/Swedish/Belgian (claire and laurent comes to mind?!)/luxemburg/ and other non reigning RF's?

I think Princess Claire and Prince Laurent are too private for anyone to know. Sure, they look very different from each other, but I hardly think that's grounds to speculate that their marriage is based on titles.

I'm sure Maxima would have preferred that WA was not a prince. she had to listen to people call her father a war criminal and he was not be allowed to attend her wedding. she also had to give up a highpowered career as an international banker. if that's not true love, i don't know what is.

Linda Hsu said:
I second that......

Amen

I agree too. When CP Frederik and CP Mary had first married I heard in a few stories that Mary had started taking etiquette classes a few weeks after they met which to me says she was preparing to be seen with him. Although I think the love between them is real now I think that Mary might have been pulled in by Frederik not just by his personality but also because he was royalty. But Mary isn't a bad person. I mean who here wouldn't just love to be with a royal?

Who wouldn't have married Felipe? even if he wasn't a prince, he's awesome, I think the same about Mathilde and Mette-Marit but not about Mary or Claire

I'm sure that even if CP Philippe wasn't royal, and CP Mathilde wasn't born titled herself, that they would still have fallen in love and married. I don't know how they would have met, but I can't imagine how those two would ever suit anybody else. They seem so 'perfect' for each other. This is the only couple I can be nearly certain of.

I say a big huge fat YES for Letizia, and yes for Mette-Marit and Mathilde, and a most likely for Maxima.

Personally I don't think Mabel would have married Johan Friso if he hadn't been a Prince. Its just a feeling I get from Mabel. And I could be completely off about it, but I don't think I am.

Lady Jennifer said:
Personally I don't think Mabel would have married Johan Friso if he hadn't been a Prince. Its just a feeling I get from Mabel. And I could be completely off about it, but I don't think I am.

she did always have a tropism toward well connected men.

pollyemma said:
I'm sure Maxima would have preferred that WA was not a prince. she had to listen to people call her father a war criminal and he was not be allowed to attend her wedding. she also had to give up a highpowered career as an international banker. if that's not true love, i don't know what is.

I agree. Plus Maxima is such a sincere person and not someone who could fake feelings at all. You can really tell that she is in love with him for him. Haha and I love that thing she said about not even recognizing him when he visited her in New York. The fact that he mainly courted and chased after her (than the other way around) makes me beleive that even more.

I don't know much about the other CPs, but I'll just say yes for the sake of the romantic in me.

auntie said:
So you think she would have kept up the trans atlantic relationship if he was a brick layer?

Yes..

say: CP Frederik is born in Denmark, but not as a CP
I think that Mary would have moved to Denmark, even if CP Frederik wasn't the CP

auntie said:

auntie

Does it have to be a brick layer?? Can it be a marketing manager for a Danish firm?? Or something similar. These poor bricklayers get dragged into every debate about preferences.
BTW I am not a bricklayer, and I think Mary would have married Fred if he happened to be someone who had a reasonable job and common interests.:)

Jaques D.

This is the kind of thing we will spend our whole lives guessing about and never know the answer too. I hope they all married for love I don't think you should marry a crown prince for any other reason if you were to compare all the things you'd lose marring a crown prince as opposed to all the things you'd gain marrying one, It's only worth marring a crown prince if you love him.

Maybe we could turn the question around and wonder if some men would've married their respective royal wives if they weren't royal?

For example, from some of the suggestions put out by other members, would Margrethe and Henrik of Denmark's marriage been easier if Margrethe weren't the Queen and she would've simply been Mrs. Margrethe Monteparzat? (I've butched the spelling of his last name, I know; sorry.)

Or would Jamie de Marichalar and Inaki Urdangarin have married the Spanish Infantas?

Here is an obvious one: Would Edwin have married Princess Margarita if it weren't for her title? (A big fat, emphatic NO to that one!)

Or maybe would certain royal relationships/marriages have worked out if one partner wasn't royal? Such as Princess Margaret of Great Britain's marriage to Lord Snowdon or Princess Anne's marriage to Captain Phillips.

In a present-case scenario, perhaps Victoria of Sweden's relationship with Daniel Westling would be easier on him (them) if she weren't to be queen one day.

Good point Alexandria.

I know Lord Mountbatten was pushing Prince Philip to marry a wealthy woman because he was rather penniless. I'm sure the Queen and Prince Philip are happy now but I wonder if she had been a mere Elizabeth Windsor with little money would he have gone ahead and married her.

What I'd like to know is whether Prince Pavlos would have married Marie-Chantal if she hadn't been incredibly wealthy.

What ifs open up a lot more questions, if Crown Prince Frederick was a commenor could he afford a long distance relationship with Mary (would he even be able to afford a trip to the Olympics) Would Prince Philip ever meet Elizabeth Windsor (though I do think if at the time she was still Princess Elizabeth of York and Uncle David was still the King with an heir, Philip still would have married her)

Oppie said:
What ifs open up a lot more questions, if Crown Prince Frederick was a commenor could he afford a long distance relationship with Mary (would he even be able to afford a trip to the Olympics) Would Prince Philip ever meet Elizabeth Windsor (though I do think if at the time she was still Princess Elizabeth of York and Uncle David was still the King with an heir, Philip still would have married her)

In today's digital age, long distance relationships are much easier. If a commoner were to fall in love with a royal and choose to marry that person with the determination to make the relationship work, s/he would have to truly love the other person for the person s/he is and wants to be not in spite of the royal title or because of it. You love that person because of his/her sense of duty, sense of purpose...and you have to be supportive of those things and understand that sometimes (perhaps often) you are not the highest priority in his/her life. It's not as if anyone who marries a royal has any greater sense of selflessness in a relationship, but it's understanding that dedication to duty as part of the reason of why s/he fell in love with him/her.

I hope that makes sense...I think I may have bungled the meaning a bit.

well, I for starters think that Claus would have married Beatrix whether she was a princess or not, I don't believe that Jaime would have married Elena if she wasn't the King's daughter, Iñaki would have married Cristina even if she was a (put a profession here), Henrik has had a lot of problems adapting to the court so he would still have gotten married Margrethe even if she wasn't going to become queen, Claire would never have looked at Laurent twice as Mabel and Laurentien either...

crisiñaki said:
Claire would never have looked at Laurent twice as Mabel and Laurentien either...

With all due respect to Laurentien, She is the less attractive of the pair, She seems nice and really well grounded, but sometimes I contemplate what he saw in her as far as physical attraction? (I really like her personality, there is no malice in this question)

Back to the Danes, what about Alex and Joachim? She looked radiant at the announcement of marriage, what is said about them? The reason I'm asking, is because a couleague of mine who is Danish went to school with the Danish princes, and he said that they aint too smart!:eek:

Last edited:
grim_lady said:
I agree too. When CP Frederik and CP Mary had first married I heard in a few stories that Mary had started taking etiquette classes a few weeks after they met which to me says she was preparing to be seen with him. Although I think the love between them is real now I think that Mary might have been pulled in by Frederik not just by his personality but also because he was royalty. But Mary isn't a bad person. I mean who here wouldn't just love to be with a royal?

Not etiquette lessons, I think self imaging, or "how to get what you aim for" etc. There has been speculation why she did it, or when she did before or after she met Fredrick, whilst they had a transatlantic relationship, whatever the case they truly seem be happy!

Last edited:
Jaques Demolay said:
auntie

Does it have to be a brick layer?? Can it be a marketing manager for a Danish firm?? Or something similar. These poor bricklayers get dragged into every debate about preferences.
BTW I am not a bricklayer, and I think Mary would have married Fred if he happened to be someone who had a reasonable job and common interests.:)

Jaques D.

Quite right, I had no right to be offensive, could be a bank clerk, Laywer, computer technician and so forth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom