Would They Have Married?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And at the end of the day they are still together, look happy and have an adorable family......

Piaa said:
And at the end of the day they are still together, look happy and have an adorable family......

Right:bunny:

Piaa said:

Excatly!!!!

They both still look very much in love with each other like they did ten years ago when they got married, and what a beautiful family they have !:flowers:

I honestly don't believe Letizia married Felipe because of his titles and position. Have you soon pictures of them? She's crazy about him, and that has very little to do with his status. She went through a lot of changes, giving up her carreer and having to live under strict protocol rules. No way on earth she would have done that for his titles. She simply loves him. And come on, what is there not to love about Felipe :wub:
Maxima would have married Willem-Alexander no matter what as well. She's crazy about him.

I agree with just about everyone about who would marry for love. Mette-Marit, Mary, Maxima, Letiza, Mathilda. I don't know that much about Marie Chantal so I can't comment.
I don't believe Lady Diana would have married Prince Charles had he not been the Heir to the throne.
Personally I think marrying someone who is royal would be a strike against them for most people, especially the new class of wifes who weren't raised royal. I can't imagine going from being a private person to an open book overnight. I know there are thing I did in my younger life that I am not proud of and surely wouldn't want everyone in the world to know about and then have to re-live all the time in the press. IMO

I think this generation of crown princesses all married for love. It's very obvious that all these cp couples are madly in love. Gone are the days when royal parents set up marriages or an heir marrying someone who would make a great queen. I look at Haakon-MM, Felipe-Letizia, Fred-Mary, Philippe-Mathilde, and WA-Maxima, and all I see is love.

If any of the present crown princesses had wanted to marry for money, status, security etc. I'm not sure that a crown prince would have been the first choice. Some of them are wealthy, but so are a lot of non-royal males which might then just as well have been the 'target'. I would personally think that the requirements surrounding a royal life - not least almost giving up on your private life - would be a high price to pay, almost unbearable, if they didn't love their spouses.

EmpressRouge said:
I think the one person that probably truly married for the title was Diana, Princess of Wales. Not that she planned and calculated the whole thing, but given their age differences and their clash of personalities, it seems that Diana definitely fell in love with the idea of Charles and being a princess than the Charles himself.

I agree with you. Diana was in love with the title Prince of Wales not the man Charles Mountbatten Windsor.
However, I disagree with you that it was not calculated. The Spencer family had been scheming for centuries to have one of their number as Princess of Wales. Diana was to be the fulfillment of their dreams after Lady Sarah "blotted her copy book" with her loose lipped comments about the relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piaa

Excatly!!!!

They both still look very much in love with each other like they did ten years ago when they got married, and what a beautiful family they have !:flowers:

I agree with you.
And I also don't forget MC will lose her title if she ever divorces.;)

The question is very black and white. And also many of the answers are b/w
Some make it sound as if a princess-to-be would think all day
"Uhm, this prince is interested in me, I will try to make him marrying me, so that I get title, money and fame"

Or as if it would be for some always like this:
"I love him so much. Actually I want my own career and hate the idea of being a princess. But I simply loooooveee him...and so I will marry him, so that we can have children of looooo:wub: ve together"

But that´s IMO not the way ppl are thinking. In a longer relationship you are changing your mind often. You can´t always find words for your emotions. You are acting controversial, your feelings are not every hour of the day the same and you have problems to differ between that, what you are telling yourself and that, what you are really feeling. During the relationship you automatically get a touch of the partner´s life. And this means, that you can´t draw the line anymore. The "dolce vita" crown princes are leading has formed their personality and attitude. And if you fall in love with one, then mostly also with the "dolce vita". Of course hormones and all (you know the theory with the smell etc.) might be involved, but this would not be enough to make an as big decision as changing your life completely. At least I´m believing that.
Just as I believe, that no current princess is evil minded enough, not to tell at least herself, she is in love and she just wants the very best for her Royal hubby. Human beings need the illusion of being good ppl. And how would you prove them "wrong". If a crown princess (Queen) would tell herself all her life, that she just married for love and if her husband would believe it too. And if both would die with this belief...how could an outsider say, it wasn´t love? Maybe she was just in love with the jewels and attention and with the gentlemanly "man of the world" attitude of her hubby...but maybe this was enough for her to say, she is in love...even though she maybe wouldn´t have been in love with a "twin", who would have been brick layer. Who knows and what does it matter? And most of all, how could we judge their feelings. There is no test on the market, which can show love and true feelings. And even if there would be one, there would be also one needed, that involves the socio-cultural background, all the experiences, one has made...so a complete psychoanalysis...and if one would go and would do a complete psychoanalysis with a crown princess, she maybe would change her mind and would note, she married out of the wrong reasons...so what do I want to say...reasons for marriage are a so complex topic, that one can´t answer it with 1 or 2 keywords. It´s a big philosophical question with no unalterable result, as one would get it in mathematics. But of course one can make it oneself easy and can just believe the vibes and feelings one gets, when seeing a picture or video. This is "fun" of course, but one should keep in mind, that one can never know for real...as we can´t see in other ppl´s minds and even if we could, we maybe couldn´t "read" it right.

planetcher said:
I think this generation of crown princesses all married for love. It's very obvious that all these cp couples are madly in love. Gone are the days when royal parents set up marriages or an heir marrying someone who would make a great queen. I look at Haakon-MM, Felipe-Letizia, Fred-Mary, Philippe-Mathilde, and WA-Maxima, and all I see is love.

I see the same.
Of course, Lena, things are not only black and white and one can never know for sure,
but I believe in intuition, I believe in vibes and feelings.
(And I usually have a good intuition, actually my friends call me Kassandra.
I once predicted that the company I was working for would go bankrupt in the course of 1 year,
after I had a meeting with our new boss, and it sure did.)

I look at a couple and I say: yes, they belong to each other, or no, they don't.
And I have a good feeling for all the current cp couples.

There is one case (in this generation) where I always had the feeling the woman married the prince and not the man
and that is Alexandra of Denmark.
I don't think she would have married Joachim if he hadn't been a prince.
I don't think they really knew each other when they married or ever really suited each other.
And IMO that`s the reason why the marriage ended up in divorce.

Of course, one can never know for sure.
But most things that are said on messageboards are not facts but just opinions and feelings.

One thing is for sure:Wallis wouldn't have married David if he wouldn't have been a royal or if she would have thought he had a chance in hell to marry her and continue being king, the same for Princess Lilian of Belgium, the princess de rethy, she wouldn't have gone after the king if he wouldn't have been king or a royal for that matter. All the Crown princesses, and most of the princesses by marriage have proved that they are hard working, and serious about their positions, none are lazy and out only to have a good time.

Married for love: Máxima, Mette-Marit, Mathilde and Camilla. Just see how the look their hisbands, they really are in love
Married for Status: Mary, Letizia

Married for love: Máxima, Mette-Marit, Mathilde and Camilla. Just see how the look their hisbands, they really are in love
Married for Status: Mary, Letizia

Why do you think Letizia married Felipe just for the status ? I'm not contesting your opinion at all, but I'm curious to know why. For me they are perhaps the more 'in-love' royal couple ...

Among all the current crop of commoner princesses, Letizia had more to lose than gain from her marriage. For a successful and independent career woman, a title doesn't necessarily outweight the loss of freedom and independence. So I'm not sure why someone would think she married for status.

Mary and Fred

Mary and Frederick met in 2000. They knew each other for four years before they married. Let's not forget that she gave up her nationality, and her religion, as well as having to make a great effort to learn a new language and move to a new country. I truly believe this is a love match and one that will last. She's brought a great deal to her new life and IMO she grows and learns all the time.
The one who really strikes me as being in love with the status and title is the one no one has mentioned yet - Kate Middleton. I hope William takes his time and doesn't give in to any ultimatiums, which the Press says she has given him. I had hopes of two Princesses but I think my favourite is virtually spoken for. The other is equally perfect. We'll just have to wait and hope.!
Taree:wub:

There is one case (in this generation) where I always had the feeling the woman married the prince and not the man
and that is Alexandra of Denmark.
I don't think she would have married Joachim if he hadn't been a prince.
I don't think they really knew each other when they married or ever really suited each other.
And IMO that`s the reason why the marriage ended up in divorce.

i don't think yu can pull off a marriage for 9 years so well if you are just interested in the prince and not the person. that's just my opinion. i doubt alexandra would have left her already comfortable life to adjust to a new, different country if she was just interested in a title and pretend for 9 years being in love with someone so well that we didn't even notice in such a long time! just imagine how frustrating it would feel after considering marrying for a title the feeling of having to move to a new place with a person you don't love and where you don't know anyone. is it really a fair price to pay?

i would say mette-marit, camilla, maxima and letizia married for love. of course, the fact that their husbands are princes influenced a bit their decision, but that's just normal. who, in their sanity, would simply dump someone because he is a prince, because he is too rich or because he lives in a beautiful palace?

i always ask this same question when people say "x is a golddigger": who is able to say they don't want to live a comfortable life if they meet someone who can offer one and who you love? saying no to the prince and yes to the pauper because of being a "good man"... that just happens in fairy tales.

besides, maxima and mathilde were upper class girls. it's obvious they wouldn't have married willem and philippe if they were just plain construction workers, just as they wouldn't have married anyone with a similar condition. two successful, well-educated ladies will look for at least a similar condition for their husbands.

Mary and Frederick met in 2000. They knew each other for four years before they married. Let's not forget that she gave up her nationality, and her religion, as well as having to make a great effort to learn a new language and move to a new country. I truly believe this is a love match and one that will last. She's brought a great deal to her new life and IMO she grows and learns all the time.
The one who really strikes me as being in love with the status and title is the one no one has mentioned yet - Kate Middleton. I hope William takes his time and doesn't give in to any ultimatiums, which the Press says she has given him. I had hopes of two Princesses but I think my favourite is virtually spoken for. The other is equally perfect. We'll just have to wait and hope.!
Taree:wub:

what about those rumours - urban myths - of mary donaldson going to that party in australia because she wanted to meet a prince and because she knew there was a group of princes there? malicious tongues even say that she went for felipe before meeting frederik.

i actually thought the same about kate middleton at first, but i'm starting to like her even more every day. she truly is discrete and never said did anything to talk about. no past, no scandals... she is a true lady already, even without her "princessy training". she dresses appropriately, behaves appropriately and has the right combination to be a good successor of princess diana.

Just see how the look their hisbands, they really are in love

Then you have not seen the many photo's of how Mary looks at Frederik.

I think no matter the women, career, and life they have would be mesmerized by a prince that comes along and falls in love with you. It would be incredible, but i think in this day, with everything with royals so public, these women must have seen some of this going on, even before they met their respective Princes, and the fact they gave up not only jobs, their own countries, and freedom says alot about them. And of course they in some way love their new position, it is a small part, and they rest is for their husbands and kids. Even if some of these Princess are not in love i think everyone would have caught on by now and the stress of trying to keep up appearances would be showing...remember Charles and Diana, everyone saw through that easily and quickly.

A perhaps contrary opinion: I have long believed that two of the current european crown princesses married INSPITE of their guys being princes, not because they were princes. Nothing I have seen since their mariages has made me change my mind on that.

IMO all current Crown Princely Couples married for love.
I really cannot imagine any of them married just to get the status...

Didn't Diana marry for status?
I heard something like this in TV.. Diana wanted to become a real Princess and so the Prince of Wales was a good match.
She also fell in love with him but in the beginning she was just dating him because it was arranged ...

Among all the current crop of commoner princesses, Letizia had more to lose than gain from her marriage. For a successful and independent career woman, a title doesn't necessarily outweight the loss of freedom and independence. So I'm not sure why someone would think she married for status.

completely agree w/ you. Being an award-winning journalist certainly is more appealing to me than being a CP (imo ;)). letizia has to sacrifice a lot of things to be w/ the man she loves.

I think most times it's a combination of both. All CP ladies somehow like the attention and the spotlight a prince brings along - a characteristic that is essential for a CP - but all are intelligent enough to know that they will depend on their husbands for the rest of their lifes, so better chose a guy you like or love :lol:

Besides, all ladies are also intelligent enough to know that it's not just about being a princess and that fairy tale image that goes with but also about things like the total loss of privacy because of the scrutiny of the yellow press, going from freedom into slavery (owned by the Royal House and the public) as divorce is not really an option, a tough working schedule etc. But they could only imagine and not know until the situation was acutally there. Best example is Letizia who thought she could continue to work with TVE until Felipe set things straight during their engangement interview.

So I doubt any lady only married for status but it may have played a part - pretty normal when I look around, even in normal life the guys with money or influence are preferred, not those living on social benefits.

what about those rumours - urban myths - of mary donaldson going to that party in australia because she wanted to meet a prince and because she knew there was a group of princes there? malicious tongues even say that she went for felipe before meeting frederik.

Yes, there are these rumours and I guess they aren´t completely wrong. Also not the story about the Black Amex.

But even me, who is surely not the greatest fan of Mary, is able to see these two things differentiated.
I guess many many women would go to a pub, if they would know, that they could mingle with crown princes. Just imagine what a nice story to tell. You could flirt with a high prestige crown prince.
And also many would be happy about being flattered of a crown prince for a while. An love affair...some fun.
But it takes much more to date this guy for longer and to change your habits completely.
So if she went there to have fun with Royals and/or if she got attracted by their status, IMO one can´t conclude, that it was for the following 3 years until the engagement the very same and only reason for staying with him...

completely agree w/ you. Being an award-winning journalist certainly is more appealing to me than being a CP (imo ;)). letizia has to sacrifice a lot of things to be w/ the man she loves.

When ppl are saying this, me always can´t help wondering one thing...how old are the oldest female newsreaders at TVE? And how many of them are mothers? And since it´s in Germany quite popular among newsreaders and journalists...how many of them are married to a high profile editor or manager at the media, they are working with?
I don´t wanna prove you "wrong", I´m just curious...

Malicious tongues would in this connection undoubtedly be a now mercifully closed site dedicated to smearing Mary's name.
I wouldn't put more faith to that than you would believe that penefiel character who seemingly thrives on starting all sorts of rumours about Letizia - that is of course unless you deep down wants to believe that sort of rumours. And I suppose that most of us do want to believe some rumours; I know that there are definitely some that I give some credence to :rolleyes:
I believe Frederik like most of the crown princes can spot a golddigger miles away - they have grown up having to develop that ability if they wanted to have any real friends after all. And if anybody are in love, Mary and Frederik are.

Malicious tongues would in this connection undoubtedly be a now mercifully closed site dedicated to smearing Mary's name.
I wouldn't put more faith to that than you would believe that penefiel character who seemingly thrives on starting all sorts of rumours about Letizia - that is of course unless you deep down wants to believe that sort of rumours. And I suppose that most of us do want to believe some rumours; I know that there are definitely some that I give some credence to :rolleyes:
I believe Frederik like most of the crown princes can spot a golddigger miles away - they have grown up having to develop that ability if they wanted to have any real friends after all. And if anybody are in love, Mary and Frederik are.

Hm, so you are not believing, that the thing, that firstly, on this very evening, attracted her, was his status? (pls. don´t answer it with "It is irrelevant now" as some sugars answer everything, that could be unpleasant about her past), just answer it honestly and as you are thinking, it was. I´m now really curiously.

Side note: To signalise that I´m not thinking, this was Mary related behaviour: as they stories were told, I´m thinking, this was also the case for the other 3 commoner crown princesses.

BTW what closed site are you talking about?

You know exactly which site she is talking about (as well as every single royal watcher on the planet.)

There is no need to go down that road.

Okay continue.
:alien:

When ppl are saying this, me always can´t help wondering one thing...how old are the oldest female newsreaders at TVE? And how many of them are mothers? And since it´s in Germany quite popular among newsreaders and journalists...how many of them are married to a high profile editor or manager at the media, they are working with?
I don´t wanna prove you "wrong", I´m just curious...[/quote

well, we can't certainly say that Letizia married a high-profile jounalist. I actually don't know a lot about her 1st husband. All I know is that he's not a high-profile media mogul to say the least so we can scrap him. :ermm:

Last edited:
IMO Felipe's prince status is the cherry on the top of the ice cream!, because even he wouldn't have been a Prince he's a dream man!!!.. (hot, sorry I meant handsome :lol:, educated, smart, charming, sweet, tender, a family man, ... and many more)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom