Would They Have Married?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I wanted to get people's opinions on these couples (and others). Do you think the men would have married the women if they weren't in the positions that they were in?

Daniel and Victoria (if she wasn't the crown princess)
Henrik and Margrethe (if she wasn't the crown princess)
Philip and Elizabeth (if she wasn't the heiress apparent)
Constantine and Anne-Marie (if she wasn't a Danish princess)
Juan Carlos and Sofia (if she wasn't a Greek princess)
Pavlos and Marie Chantal (if she wasn't as wealthy as she is)
Ranier and Grace (is she hadn't been an actress)
Antony and Margaret (if she wasn't the Queen's sister)

I don't think so.
The only one I think is a possibility is Daniel and Victoria, and I have doubts about that; even if he wasn't that impressed by her position at first, I think he'd have been dazzled when he realized she liked him and was willing to have a relationship.

But I believe the others married for status or money.
That's not to say many of the marriages were not successful, but for some love wasn't the primary motivation.

Never heard that, and why would he?
The father of the groom asking for money is a bit weird, at least like I said it wasn't Pavlos who asked her for it.
That was a story around for many many years. And yes, a proper dowry would have been asked in those times in that type of society. A bride would always give a dowry. The bigger the dowry the bigger the social standing. The groom never received the dowry, his family enjoyed it.

Philip married for position and money. His title was worthless. But, he cares for Elizabeth and he is loyal to the idea of monarchy and to her. He just had hoped, early on, that he would have more time, before she became queen. His outside affairs, have been very discreet. He needed stability, but he also wanted the "good stuff", too.

. His outside affairs, have been very discreet.

So discreet in fact that they have never been proven. Sarah Bradford, the biographer, who once claimed he had had affairs now says that she was wrong.

:previous: It is a source of major irritation for me that such spurious claims can be made on an "off topic" thread which largely cuts the right of reply. I know many "journalists" have made allusions over the last few decades but strangely enough, in all these years of marriage, not one itty bitty love note let alone letter have surfaced.

Hmm. Could it be that it is because there aren't any? Could it be that he has had a very full life and whilst Elizabeth was head of the Country, he was head of the house and ruled in the same manner that Albert did in the time of Victoria.

Lets stay on topic and cut the speculative discussion on "affairs" that haven't been proven.

Any and all speculative posts will be deleted without notice.

I think Catherine wouldn't have been married William if he wasn't a prince. And also the same with Charles, if Diana wasn't a daughter of an Earl.
Maybe Andrew and Sarah, too. I am not sure.

I think Catherine wouldn't have been married William if he wasn't a prince. And also the same with Charles, if Diana wasn't a daughter of an Earl.
Maybe Andrew and Sarah, too. I am not sure.
I think Kate would have still married William if he were not a Prince but a noble, aristocrat, or just someone who has achieved something in his life. If he were a jobless, penniless person, or even someone on low to medium income - then probably no.

I agree about Charles and Diana, but I also find it extremely unlikely Diana would have ever married Charles if he weren't the Prince of Wales; I doubt she ever loved the man she dated and married - just the Prince from her dreams.

Andrew and Sarah would have probably married anyway.

Actually I doubt Sarah would have married Lt Andrew Windsor. He might have fallen in love with her but I think she fell in love with a prince.

Isn't this the Would he have married her thread?

you should integrate the two forums and make it one forum, I think =)

I don't think that Juan Carlos would have married Sofia, I see him dating "a la carte" for 10 or more years longer than his position allowed him.

Charles would have married Camilla, or at least would have proposed to her.

Johannes von Thurn and Taxis would not have married Gloria if not for producing a heir. He was already 54 when his oldest daughter was born. Countless people, even Andy Warhol and of course Gloria herself had interesting things to say about his sexual preferences. I'm not saying that he did not learn to love Gloria, love was just not the reason he married her.

I doubt that Prince Rainier would have married Grace Kelly if not for her image and fame. They did not even know each other well when they married.

I agree with you about Juan Carlos and Charles but I am not sure about Rainier.
Suppose that Grace wasn't an actress. She was Catholic, beautiful, from a wealthy family, young for giving an heir. I think all the things were suitable to marry her.

Things were much different in the 50's and 60's with Royalty. They had to marry to provide heirs (Rainier and Grace being an example), many of the men (and women) did not have much of a choice. They all likely grew to love one another, perhaps just not as passionately as they would have liked.

I think Charles would have still married Camilla, it just would have happened much sooner as he would not have had to marry Diana.

Daniel would have definitely married Victoria, they are a lovely couple and so passionately in love. They do not care about the cameras following them etc. Daniel would have married her no matter who she was, or who her family were.

Would Andrew have married Sarah? I am not so sure. I think perhaps he would have, I just do not think he would have done it as quickly as they did. Then again, I don't think Sarah would have really married Andrew if he were not a Prince. I believe she was and still is quite a shallow individual who LOVED the attention. (I know, wrong thread sorry!)

Would Edward have married Sophie? I'd like to think he would have, and I do think he would have considering how long they were together prior to marriage. I do not think he would have waited so long to propose if he were not in the Royal family as he would have known there would have been less pressure on his wife. I believe their relationship is a love match, though being a Prince would definitely have swung Sophie a bit. (You can't deny it, if your boyfriend were a Prince you would think all your dreams had come true.)

I think King Carl Gustav would have married Silvia, they are beyond words adorable. When he gave her that rose at Daniel and Victoria's wedding my heart melted!

Would any girl say "no" to a prince?

I am very curious about this. Here is a hypothetical question:
Two young people meet at an elite private school. They are all rich and in that sense somewhat equal, but one of them is royalty. Would any girl say "no" to a prince?

Would any girl say "no" to a prince?

Two young people meet at an elite private school. They are all rich and in that sense somewhat equal, but one of them is royalty. Would any girl say "no" to a prince?

I personally don't think it is all its cracked up to be. If 2 people are in love and one is a prince, a la Catherine and William that's one thing but for any girl seeking a 'glamorous' life , a prince is not the way to go. (I'm a guy but that's my opinion lol)

Apparently a few women said no to Prince Charles. Also Elizabeth Bowed Lyon said no to Prince Albert 2x before finally saying yes. And I have heard that one reason Chelsea and Harry broke up was because she wasn't willing to deal with the lifestyle. Princess Masako also said no and only said yes reluctantly.
So yes various woman would and have said no to a Prince.

:previous: That's why I always laugh when some people say that Catherine only married William for a title. HRH has committed herself to a life of public service to the people of the United Kingdom and the realms.
If HRH was looking for an 'easy life' and a title, she could have married any multi-millionaire earl or duke and lived a very comfortable and stress free life.

Yes perhaps to one who was cultured, handsome, and kind; no to one who was boorish and anti-intellectual, no matter how physically attractive he might be.

Same as vetting any prospective date or fiancee. Would never marry a prince because he was a prince.

Last edited:
Interesting question. Depends on the girl and the prince. It's not an easy job to take on and a girl who marries a prince, certainly one of William's place in the pecking order, should make damned sure she knows what she's getting herself into. It's not just a marriage they are taking on, but a lifetime job.

Sadly, I think some girls will be influenced by the wrong factors and say "yes" when the should say "no"; I think William's mother was one of them. I think there's a lot to be said for not allowing such a couple to marry until they have been together for at least five years. I'm sure Catherine married William for all the right reasons.

I think I would say no. Even if I was very much in love. I think there are very few people truly suited to the lifestyle and I know I am not one of them.

A prince is used to people saying yes to him and doing what he wants. I imagine it would take some of them aback if a woman said no to them as usually women don't say no to them. Some might actually find it intriguing that they were turned down and want to get the know the woman better.

Others would probably never talked to you again or consider you an enemy for doing so. I imagine some you wouldn't want to get on their bad side.
Of course it would depend on what he asked them to do. If it was a date to a movie, dinner or to an art gallery or concert , I wouldn't say no, even if I wasn't particularly attacted to him. Unless he was a real jerk (which I would say no), I would think most women would say yes, even if the guy was a jerk.

It's just a date. It's not everyday that someone like me (average American citizen) would be asked out on a date with a prince. I would be quite flattered in my younger days if any prince or royal asked me out on a date.

Then of course if the prince asked you to do something which you had a moral objection to or something that you didn't want to do, then it would be a problem. At that point I would said no and explain why. You would have the right to say no.

Of course if it was something serious like marriage, one would have to think about that. I think if you dated a royal for several years, you would know if you were suited to the lifestyle of royalty. If you aren't, then saying no to marriage would be the best thing in the long run.

Last edited:
I can answer for myself only, but I would never say yes to a Prince. Even if I were madly in love with him, as long as the Prince in question had even moderately high profile, I would never agree to date/marry him. Privacy is immensely important for me and living in public eye would have been simply impossible.

Last edited:
I suppose at first it would be flattering to be the center of attention or having you picture taken all the time, but then it gets very old. Sometimes you just want to be left alone. Privacy is very difficult when you are in a relationship with a Prince.

Yes. A jerk is a jerk and a nice guy is a nice guy no matter what their parents do. And in this case, what the parents do makes things even harder - because you have to spend your life making nice face to everyone while your spouse is a jerk.

For me, the prospect of taking on royal life would be a major drawback of a potential relationship. I don't know if I'd give up a truly good person I was in love with who happened to be a prince, but I'd be saying 'yes' in spite of him being royal, not because of it. The lack of privacy for myself and my family, including any potential children, the increasingly limited contact with "normal" sections of society as you get nearer the throne , and, finally, just the overall tedious nature of the work they do would be all be things I'd have difficulty with.

I think I would say no. Even if I was very much in love. I think there are very few people truly suited to the lifestyle and I know I am not one of them.

Me too. I can't even imagine living the life they lead- I'd go crazy.

I actually do believe what Prince Harry was saying in the interview where he talked about having a hard time finding someone who he could have a good relationship with who was willing to take on the job.

He's always going to be a high profile member of the royal family, and it takes a special woman, like Kate, to be willing to step into that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom