Will Royals Visit Asia Due To The Tsunami?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amilia

Aristocracy
Country
Spain
It's verry sad what happend in South-East Azia . Will some Royal visited it ?

Was someone of the members there when it happend ?

I doubt anyone will visit it right now. There's just too much chaos there, adding a royal visit to it would be over the top.

I agree with you. They would just be taking resources away from those who need it.

the news said 80,000 poeple feared dead/its so very sad for such a thing to happen

Thailand's king Bhumibol lost a grandchild to the tsunami. His 21 year old grandson Poom Jensen (thai-american) was out jetskiing when the wave came. I saw this article in the Danish tabloid B.T. online.

Thailands kong Bhumibol Adulyadej mistede sit barnebarn Poom Jensen, da flodbølgen ramte Phuket mandag. Den 21-årige sportsglade thai-amerikaner var ude at stå på jetski, da katastrofen ramte.

Poom Jensen var på ferie i Phuket med sin mor, prinsesse Ubolratana, da han blev fanget af flodbølgen og dræbt, oplyser landets premierminister.
Mandag ledsagede prinsessen, som i 1972 blev gift med den amerikanske forretningsmand Peter Jensen og senere skilt, liget af sin søn tilbage til hovedstaden Bangkok i et privatfly.

De to har i flere år boet i hovedstaden, hvor Poom Jensen studerede.

norwegianne said:
I doubt anyone will visit it right now. There's just too much chaos there, adding a royal visit to it would be over the top.
I agree, too.

I think it would be much more effective if monetary donations or supplies were made in lieu of royal visits in this matter.

I think that the only royal who may travel to the region will be the Princess Royal in her role as President of the Save the Children Fund.

I don't know whether they will actually visit in person,but they are offering their condolences.It would be great though,if they did.

I wouldn´t mind seeing some royals helping out. Maybe some of the younger ones using some of that youthful enthusiasm for good usage. In fact, anybody who wants to help or who can help will be appreciated. Volunteers are needed. But yes, I don´t recommend an actual royal visit. That would be taking money and resources away from those who need it.

Since financial donations are most needed at the moment - in order to acquire continuous and prompt shipments of human, technical aid and aid in food, drinking water and medications to affected region, most certainly, many royal houses are in a position to contribute in this segment considerably. That is far more needed and would be welcomed much more than personal visits at the moment, I agree. Once the most urgent consequences of this tragedy are under control and primary needs of affected people in the region are met, there will be time for various activities pointed towards other issues involved and surely, royal as well as various organizations' activity will bring form of relief and send a message in respect. In a tragedy of such a proportions, it is basic human obligation to assist in any way possible. And I belive that that applies to each one of us - according to personal ability, of course

Yes, I know. Monetarily is the best way they can help. But I just meant physically. Noblesse oblige of course comes into play and we expect the RFs to help out there where others have less to give. And for the governments as well. But I just meant individually helping out. Anyway, there has been a great
response from the peoples of the world to this tragedy. So many stories of people helping out and asking what they can do. It´s brought the planet a little bit closer. Well, I don´t want to exaggerate. But the outpouring has been good and warms the heart in light of this tragedy.

I´m sure most people who have been following this tragedy have heard the story of young Hannes Bergström of Sweden. I found this nice photo of him with his uncle and grandmother.

Attachments

• bull12282004-3890-1.jpg
    bull12282004-3890-1.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 5,598
I have followed the tragedy, but have not heard the story. I heard in the news that more than 80,000 people are feared dead, some 30,000 are still missing, and these numbers a not the final ones!! People fear not to even be able to give a final number one day. It's just so horrible, what happened!!

As for royals, I don't think they will be visiting Asia for quite some time, because, as others said, it would create more chaos.

AP

Wildlife officials in Sri Lanka expressed surprise yesterday that they found no evidence of large-scale animal deaths from Sunday's tsunami, indicating that animals may have sensed the waves coming and fled to higher ground.

An Associated Press photographer who flew over Sri Lanka's Yala National Park in an air force helicopter saw abundant wildlife - including elephants, buffalo and deer - and not a single animal corpse.

Floodwaters from the tsunami swept into the park, uprooting trees and toppling cars onto their roofs. But the animals apparently were not harmed and may have sought out high ground, said Gehan de Silva Wijeyeratne, whose Jetwing Eco Holidays ran a hotel in the park.

"This is very interesting. I am finding bodies of humans, but I have yet to see a dead animal," said Wijeyeratne, whose hotel in the park was destroyed.

"Maybe what we think is true, that animals have a sixth sense," Wijeyeratne said.

Yala, Sri Lanka's largest wildlife reserve, is home to 200 Asian elephants, crocodiles, wild boars, water buffalo and gray langur monkeys. The park also has Asia's highest concentration of leopards. The Yala reserve covers 391 square miles, but only 56 square miles are open to tourists.

Precious photo. A mother holding her 20 day old daughter in Malaysia. The baby had floated on a mattress after the giant waves had hit her parents´ restaurant. Luckily, her mother was able to get back into the restaurant and save her.

Attachments

• baby.jpeg
    baby.jpeg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,384
I don't think it's advisable to go to the struck region at this time; there is too much chaos as it is already. Having a royal/s arrive would bring more problems than help. The royals should stay in their own countries at this time, trying to lead the nation in their mourning.

I just read in the danish tabloid BT that members of the danish royal family will participate in an event in honour of the victims on january second. Queen Margrethe, Prince Henrik, Crownprince Frederik and Crownprincess Mary will attend.

The event will take place in Copenhagen in Vor Frue Kirke - the church where Frederik and Mary was married.

Dennism said:
AP

Wildlife officials in Sri Lanka expressed surprise yesterday that they found no evidence of large-scale animal deaths from Sunday's tsunami, indicating that animals may have sensed the waves coming and fled to higher ground.

An Associated Press photographer who flew over Sri Lanka's Yala National Park in an air force helicopter saw abundant wildlife - including elephants, buffalo and deer - and not a single animal corpse.

Floodwaters from the tsunami swept into the park, uprooting trees and toppling cars onto their roofs. But the animals apparently were not harmed and may have sought out high ground, said Gehan de Silva Wijeyeratne, whose Jetwing Eco Holidays ran a hotel in the park.

"This is very interesting. I am finding bodies of humans, but I have yet to see a dead animal," said Wijeyeratne, whose hotel in the park was destroyed.

"Maybe what we think is true, that animals have a sixth sense," Wijeyeratne said.

Yala, Sri Lanka's largest wildlife reserve, is home to 200 Asian elephants, crocodiles, wild boars, water buffalo and gray langur monkeys. The park also has Asia's highest concentration of leopards. The Yala reserve covers 391 square miles, but only 56 square miles are open to tourists.
Thanks for the article Dennis. I'm happy for them.

King Harald and Queen Sonja participated in a special Church/prayer service a few days ago. They then encouraged the Norwegians to help out by supporting the aid organizations.

The past days the towns in Norway have been full of people carrying around "cups" for collecting money for aid organizations after the disaster. It brings people together. Many businesses and media are donating money, as well.

In this time of national mourning in Sweden, our King and Queen have shown exemplary sympathy and support and have lead the national mourning in a very good and appreciated way. This is the biggest catastrophe in modern history for Sweden, and having been a nation of peace for almost 200 years, it says a lot I think. When some time has passed, I think there will be a national memorial site somewhere, like for Estonia (ship disaster) – and when the number of deaths has been established and such I suppose there will also be a national memorial service in church for the official Sweden, also like for Estonia.

Here is what the King and Queen have done so far, and what they will do:

*On 28 December, King Carl XVI Gustaf issued a statement concerning the catastrophe
*On 29 December, King Carl XVI Gustaf spoke to the nation and then met with media
*Today, 30 December, King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia attended an intercession in the Cathedral of Stockholm
*Today, 30 December, King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia visited the crisis- and family centre at Arlanda Airport
*On Satuday 1 January King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia will attend a live broadcasted fundraising evening on state television

You can find my translations as well as pictures and thoughts here...

Last edited:
And a royal helped out:

Swedish boy found alone after tsunami reunited with dad

Wednesday, December 29, 2004 Posted: 2031 GMT (0431 HKT)

var clickExpire = "01/28/2005";
1.gif
story.hannes.jpg
Hannes Bergstroem is reunited with his emotional father, Mark, Wednesday in Thailand.​

1.gif
PHUKET, Thailand (AP) -- A Swedish toddler was reunited with his father Wednesday, days after being found alone in the aftermath of the deadly tsunamis that swept Asia.

With the reported help of a Thai princess, Hannes Bergstroem was taken by helicopter to hospital for treatment and his photo posted on the Internet earlier this week.

The 18-month-old's uncle spotted the photo and claimed him Tuesday, setting up Wednesday's reunion with Hannes' father, Marko Karkkainen, at a hospital on the southern Thai island of Phuket where both father and son were receiving treatment.

Hannes, his face scratched and pocked with mosquito bites, looked bemused as his father choked up with emotion.

Karkkainen said he had been told of the reports his son was rescued by a Thai princess and said: "I have been to Thailand seven times, and this time only confirmed what I know about Thai people -- that they are so generous and caring."

Despite the joy of seeing one another again, the day remained tinged with sadness and anxiety -- Hannes' mother Suzanne Bergstroem is still among some 5,000 people missing in Thailand since the giant earthquake-spawned waves hit on Sunday. Almost 2,000 people are confirmed dead in Thailand, and nearly 77,000 across almost a dozen countries hit.

Asked about the unidentified princess who reportedly rescued his son, Karkkainen replied: "she has saved his life, but also my soul because I couldn't survive if I lost them both."

According TVF1 news the death toll has reached 125 000 peoples (as they said more than one third are children) with many thousand still missing. In some area tens of thousands survivors still strugle waiting an aid & assisstance but rescuer can not reach them easily because of many infrastructures have been broken:(.
It will be very helpfull if the royal (specially the one who already has position in humanitarian post such as UNICEF or red cross) do something or do more to help the victims i.e by raising charities events to get more donation.That will be great eventhough they could not visit the area by themselves.

Last edited:
galuhcandrakirana said:
It will be very helpfull if the royal (specially the one who already has position in humanitarian post such as UNICEF or red cross) do something or do more to help the victims i.e by raising charities events to get more donation.That will be great eventhough they could not visit the area by themselves.
I would imagine that Princess Alexandra would make a visit at some point. Mathilde and Maxima perhaps as well at some point. Anyway, here are the latest figures of dead and missing:

[size=-1] The tally of foreigners confirmed dead from the quake and tsunamis throughout southern Asia, according to their countries' foreign ministries. Figures also include the most recent available numbers of missing based on the estimates by some government officials and agencies[/size]

_ Indonesia: 94,081
[size=-1]
_ India: The government said 9,067 deaths have been confirmed but nearly 4,000 more were missing in India's remote Andaman and Nicobar Islands, just north of Sumatra. [/size]

[size=-1] _ Thailand: 4,993 people died, including 2,230 foreigners. [/size]
[size=-1]
_ Somalia: 200 killed. [/size]

[size=-1]
_ Myanmar: 90 people killed. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Maldives: 80 people dead [/size]

[size=-1]_ Malaysia: 68 people dead. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Tanzania: 10 people killed [/size]

[size=-1]_ Bangladesh: Two killed. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Kenya: One killed. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Germany: 60 dead. More than 1,000 missing. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Sweden: 52 dead. 2,915 missing. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Britain: 40 dead. [/size]

[size=-1]_ France: 22 dead. Hundreds missing. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Norway: 21 dead. More than 400 missing. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Japan: 21 dead. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Italy: 18 dead. 570 missing. [/size]
[size=-1]
_ Switzerland: 16 dead. 500 missing. [/size]

[size=-1]_ United States: 15 dead. [/size]
[size=-1]
_ Australia: 12 dead. At least 107 missing. [/size]

[size=-1]
_ Singapore: 9 dead. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Denmark: 7 dead. 247 missing. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Austria: 6 dead. 490 missing. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Belgium: 6 dead. 62 missing. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Canada: 5 dead. Up to 150 missing. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Philippines: 5 dead. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Netherlands: 5 dead. Hundreds missing. [/size]

[size=-1]_ South Africa: 5 dead. 12 missing. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Finland: 5 dead. 186 missing. [/size]

[size=-1]_ South Korea 4 dead. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Israel: 4 dead. 3 others feared dead. [/size]

[size=-1]_ China: 3 dead. 15 missing. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Brazil: 2 dead. [/size]

[size=-1]_ New Zealand: 2 dead. 24 missing. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Taiwan: 2 dead. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Russia: 2 dead. 80 missing. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Poland: 1 dead. 39 missing. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Colombia: 1 dead. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Czech Republic: 1 dead. 40 missing. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Turkey: 1 dead. 44 missing. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Mexico: 1 dead. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Ireland: About 25 missing. [/size]

[size=-1]_ Chile: One missing. [/size]

Spain also 7 missing.
All this is so sad, it's horrible :-(

Yes, Spain too. I knew I had forgotten a country. We must not forget them as well.

Amilia said:
It's verry sad what happend in South-East Azia . Will some Royal visited it ?

Was someone of the members there when it happend ?
Yes, I am sure the country's Royals ... if that is tradition or otherwise will visit.

However, the other implication I read is ..... how would the Danes feel if the King of Thailand immediately visited the scene of devastation in Kolding where that fireworks factory blew up?

I think as some put it, Princess Anne as "head" of the Save the World Children Fund, could ... and probably will .... but only after a measured length of time. That probably applies to the other Royal Ladies: Queen Silvia, Princess Crown Mathilde.

I think that The Thai Royals will have some vists.The Thai King's grandson also was killed by the earthquake.
Another Royals i think maybe Princess Anne of Great Britain,Queen Silvia.I hope also on this occasion Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia will visit Asia,they had not visited there.

Queen Beatrix donated money to the special bank account the Dutch government have set up to collect money for the Asia-tragedy.

There is 26 million euros donated so far by the Dutch people. Next Thursday a big TV-action on three TV-stations will air also to collect money.

it seems like the swedish king will visit thiland in the near future to talk the king of thiland and the people of Thiland for all the help they have given the swedes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom