Which Royals Smoke?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it's difficult to quit completely... It's addictive after all

It's difficult, but doable. I quit completely (and cold-turkey) 13 years ago. I know several other people who have, as well. The crux of the matter is that one must wholeheartedly WANT to quit. It's rarely possible to scare or shame or lecture a smoker into quitting. It has to come from within.

Second hand smoke is just as bad, so when you smoke you are taking away other people right not to smoke.

I don't think smoking in restaurants should be allowed, not because of the other patrons but because of the people who work there. With that being said, it's the people who complain about those smoking outside and smoking in general by themselves who I have a problem with.

Here in the U.S. smoking is banned in so many public places that the only people who are really subject to second hand smoke are those who CAN'T get away - such as the family, esp. the children of smokers.

In most countries of the EU smoking is banned from public places, like cafés, restaurants, schools, hospitals, companies, etc. In that sense there is no difference with the United States.

Here in the U.S. smoking is banned in so many public places that the only people who are really subject to second hand smoke are those who CAN'T get away - such as the family, esp. the children of smokers.

Isn't this illegal as well? I grew up with a smoker, it didn't bother me. But I do think parents shouldn't smoke near their kids; they are a captive "audience" jus like the workers in restaurants and bars.

It's difficult, but doable. I quit completely (and cold-turkey) 13 years ago. I know several other people who have, as well. The crux of the matter is that one must wholeheartedly WANT to quit. It's rarely possible to scare or shame or lecture a smoker into quitting. It has to come from within.
I agree. Tha same for dieting and losing weight IMO:flowers:

Seems like most royals who smoke nowadays try to hide the fact that they smoke but it's becoming more and more difficult to do. Where do they hide when they smoke where no one can see them? Getting more and more difficult as many places don't allow you to smoke inside and going outside you risk getting caught.

Seems like most royals who smoke nowadays try to hide the fact that they smoke but it's becoming more and more difficult to do. Where do they hide when they smoke where no one can see them? Getting more and more difficult as many places don't allow you to smoke inside and going outside you risk getting caught.

As a person that has smoked for the majority of my life, I staunchly defended my right to smoke but also I realized that the people that do not smoke have the right not to be subjected to second hand smoke. I would imagine that the royals that do smoke find private areas where they can enjoy a smoke but yet its not something that is not done in the public view.

What I would like to see and its a very viable option is that if someone does smoke, they make the decision to use the electronic cigarettes. I switched to "vapes" a year and a half ago and the difference is amazing. Although one is still getting the nicotine with the vapes, there's no smoke, no tar, no ash, and from what I know, there's no harmful effects other than the nicotine addiction.

It might seem that way, but I suspect because the general public do not appear to be able to cope with anything other than the mundane, royals do not smoke when out on public engagements. Having said that, it would be difficult to smoke a cigarette, shake hands, hold flowers and wave all at the same time.

Of-course, it is not a case of hiding their smoking or taking any risks as it is nothing to be ashamed of. However, palaces are huge and so are the grounds and there are plenty of places such as the sitting room, bedroom, bathroom, roof and acres of gardens or an outside area by the kitchen near the bins where one can have a crafty cigarette.

Whenever I smoke in public, being a good citizen etc, I am always conscious of smoking away from other people. At restaurants, I always have a cigarette between entree and pudding and go outside far away from other people. Oddly, as soon as I do, all the other smokers in the restaurant see it as their cue to go out too and one is never left alone!
I do find that many non-smokers have the annoying habit of standing right next to the cigarette bin outside Ipswich train station whenever I am there! There is another non-smoking bin further along and I wouldn't dream of standing there! As for the smokers, they always ask me for a light or spare cigarette, which is as equally annoying! So I do sympathise with royals who smoke!

At their home or a palace there would be no shortage of places to smoke privately and not be seen. However, if they were at a dinner party, out at a public event or visiting another country and had the urge to smoke it would be more difficult to find a private place to smoke. Perhaps someone helps them out on this.

Isn't this illegal as well? I grew up with a smoker, it didn't bother me. But I do think parents shouldn't smoke near their kids; they are a captive "audience" jus like the workers in restaurants and bars.

huh uh. i never knew a waitress who worked in the smoking section of a resturant who wasn't a smoker. until about ten years or so ago, i never knew a barmaid who wasn't a smoker.

a bar is supposed to be dim lights, THICK SMOKE, and loud, loud music. no one holds a gun to someone's head and forces them to work in a bar. if you don't want to work in a real bar, work somewhere else

huh uh. i never knew a waitress who worked in the smoking section of a resturant who wasn't a smoker. until about ten years or so ago, i never knew a barmaid who wasn't a smoker.

a bar is supposed to be dim lights, THICK SMOKE, and loud, loud music. no one holds a gun to someone's head and forces them to work in a bar. if you don't want to work in a real bar, work somewhere else

I bartended for years and was never a smoker. I finally had to quit a job I liked because I kept getting bronchitis from being around second hand smoke so often. It was awful.

I hated giving up that job- it meant a loss in income for the first six months, and I'm glad to now live in a state with saner policies about smoking in public.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Sounds like my kind of bar! There was a bar in my old home town called The Lounge and I used to go most evenings for a drink and smoke and listen to the music. Then it changed hands and the new owners put up a TV screen to show sport and then the smoking ban came into effect and people started bringing their young kids there, so it lost it's edginess and became a very unsociable place to visit.
I do sympathise though with bar workers who do not smoke and suffer the effects, because there may not be any other jobs about.

On the website Main/The House of Windsor, it was mentioned:

Edward VII apparently once lit up from a church candle during a service.

In After Diana, Christopher Andersen wrote:

Harry hardly concerned himself with concealing his smoking habit; Harry was often photographed with a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

Albert Edward, The Prince of Wales smoking​

When Prince William of Wales took up smoking, he chose Marlboro Lights.

Prince Harry smoked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vlNDcFrGiE

Last edited by a moderator:
She has no title but the younger daughter of Princess Stephanie of Monaco smokes as well along with her older sister Pauline... Camille is only 16 :ermm:

Well... Since they parents do smoke I don't fin this surprising at all:sad:

This is a general response to some of the things I have read in this thread and I have not read all of the thread.
I am from Kentucky, USA. In my neck of the woods, chewing tobacco comes in ropes of dried tobacco. In my father's childhood, his father and uncles made their own chewing tobacco. This was quite common and it was really chewed like gum. You cut off a hunk and chewed it. There is NOTHING more disgusting than real chewing tobacco!!! Thankfully, real chewing tobacco is rare anymore. Snuff in another thing entirely. It is finely chopped and is placed between the gum and the lip. There is a lot of spitting involved with both chew and snuff.
Now, my opinion on why royals, especially the women, smoke. I think they see it as a trade off. They smoke when they crave something to eat. Shall I smoke or shall I risk middle age spread?? Smoking, in the early days, was actually touted as a diet aid.
As for royals smoking:
KGVI chimney
QM yes, though not heavy I think
Queen Alexandra & Queen Mary did smoke and there are photos, even studio photos
QEII never
Philip before marriage and probably into the 60's. I believe he may have graduated to a pipe, but I am not sure.
Margaret chimney
Charles never
Diana never
Camilla not surprised
William I can find no evidence and have never heard it said before this board.
Henry photos show he may have a problem
Anne no
Her children, don't know
Edward no
Sophie don't know but would be surprised
D & D of Windsor of course their generation just did.
GV's children...all of them I believe
I am not surprised at all the Europeans smoking. I am surprised that King Felipe is so anti as smoking is still nearly universal in Spain.
In the 20's & 30's smoking was chic in society. You see it in all the old movies. And that generation are the people who are the grand parents and great grand parents of today's adults.
Just my two penny worth!
ana

Well... Since they parents do smoke I don't fin this surprising at all:sad:
My mother and my brothers smoking has turned me against that crap completely. But that is each to their own. I find that anyone my age (Pauline and I are nearly the same age) smoking is really dumb. No one looks good while doing it.

According to the FAQ section of the Prince of Wales website, "The Duchess of Cornwall gave up smoking many years ago."

My mother and my brothers smoking has turned me against that crap completely. But that is each to their own. I find that anyone my age (Pauline and I are nearly the same age) smoking is really dumb. No one looks good while doing it.

I live in France and I can say that, eh... how to say, there is still a coolness in lighting a Gauloise at a neighborhood café, sipping espresso, and reading Guillaume Musso or Amélie Nothomb... The French ladies also keep thinking that smoking keeps their belle figure. The monegasque ladies are not different in that.

:flowers:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom