Which Royals Smoke?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Before asking questions, it might be helpful to read through the thread - at 27 pages, someone might have answered it already...

To sum this up, here's a list of smokers, former smokers, and avid non-smokers. This list was compiled from all the pages of the thread, and is not meant to cause argument.

Smokers:

Belgium
Queen Paola
Crown Prince Phillipe (smokes cigars)​
Denmark
Queen Margrethe
Prince Joachim
Princess Benedikte​
Great Britain
Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother
Prince William of Wales
Prince Harry
Chelsy Davy
Prince Andrew, Duke of York (social smoker)
Princess Margaret
Lady Gabriella Windsor
Lord Frederick Windsor​
Greece
King Constantine
Prince Nikolaos​
Italy
Prince Emanuel Filiberto of Savoy​
Jordan
King Hussein
Princess Haya
Prince Ali
Queen Noor
Princce Hamzah
Prince Hashim​
Luxembourg
Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte (she died of lung cancer)
Grand Duchess Maria Theresa (smokes methol cigarettes)​
Monaco
Prince Ranier
Princess Caroline
Andrea Casiraghi
Charlotte Casiraghi
Pierre Casiraghi
Prince Ernst August (I know he's of Hannover)
Princess Stephanie​
Morocco
King Mohammed VI
Lalla Meryem​
The Netherlands
Queen Beatrix (never in public)
Crown Prince Willem-Alexander, Prince of Orange
Crown Princess Maxima (although never when pregnant)
Prince Constantijn (debatable)
Prince Friso
Princess Marilene​
Norway
Princess Ragnild​
Spain
King Juan Carlos (smokes cigars)
Queen Sofia
Infanta Elena
Crown Princess Letizia, Princess of Asturias*
Simoneta Gomez-Acebo​
Sweden
Crown Princess Victoria (social smoker)
Prince Carl Philip (social smoker)
Princess Madeleine (regular smoker)​

Former Smokers

Belgium
King Albert II​
Denmark
Prince Henrik, the Prince Consort
Crown Prince Frederik (quit for Mary)
Princess Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg (quit b4 1st pregnancy)​
Great Britain
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall (quit for Charles)
Sarah, Duchess of York
Sophie, Countess of Wessex​
Greece
Princess Alexia​
Norway
King Harold V
Queen Sonja (stopped 1970 because of pregnancy- Thanks to Her_Majesty)
Princess Martha Louise
Crown Prince Haakon
Crown Princess Mette-Marit​
Sweden
King Carl XVI Gustav
Queen Silvia​

Avid Non-Smokers
Crown Princess Mary of Denmark
Prince Albert of Monaco
Charles, Prince of Wales
Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex
Crown Prince Felipe, Prince of Asturias*​

Since Felipe is an avid non-smoker, and hates it when people smoke around him, I question whether Letizia does or not.

Last edited:
It sounds like Britain is getting more like the states when it comes to smoking there is a large movement on indoor smoking bans here interesting thread I never would have thought about it.

I really have to admire those who have quit it takes so much strength and preseverance
I do wonder how Princess Mary felt about having so many smokers among her husbands family I guess it is true love for both since he quit for her:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
LadyK said:
Norway
King Harold V
Princess Martha Louise
Crown Prince Haakon
Crown Princess Mette-Marit
Then CrownPrincess Sonja has been a smoker, too. She stopped when she became pregnant the first time in 1970.

Her_Majesty said:
Then CrownPrincess Sonja has been a smoker, too. She stopped when she became pregnant the first time in 1970.

Thanks, I added that on.

Re present smokers; at the Scandinavian Royal Message Board, one of the posters there, Stig, says that princess Benedikte does not smoke (it's in the topic with Madeleine Glindorf's nice pictures of princess Benedikte)

Anyone else know? All I know is that she was mentioned on a previous page. I really don't know about any of Danish royals outside of CP Fred & Mary, and P Joachim and Alexandra. And everyone knows about Q Margrethe, aka the royal smokestack.

LadyK said:
Anyone else know? All I know is that she was mentioned on a previous page. I really don't know about any of Danish royals outside of CP Fred & Mary, and P Joachim and Alexandra. And everyone knows about Q Margrethe, aka the royal smokestack.
Must admit that I'm not sure either; I can't remember having seen a picture of Benedikte with a cigarette. Perhaps it's her big sis' reputation as a dedicated smoker that rubs off on her?

QM has been a famous smoker for years I just wonder if she has ever tried to quit? It sounds likw she enjoys it too much.

UserDane said:
Perhaps it's her big sis' reputation as a dedicated smoker that rubs off on her?

Dedicated smoker? Surely you mean addict!

I am always shocked when I see the number of people in the royal circle who do still smoke or have at some time.I know only two smokers among my whole set of friends and family.The other thing that I find interesting is that smoking( certainly in North America)is much more prevelant in lower socio-economic groups, ie: less educated and in a lower income level. This group of people however is the complete opposite of that.It would be interesting to see what demographics are involved here.

marlene said:
I am always shocked when I see the number of people in the royal circle who do still smoke or have at some time.I know only two smokers among my whole set of friends and family.The other thing that I find interesting is that smoking( certainly in North America)is much more prevelant in lower socio-economic groups, ie: less educated and in a lower income level. This group of people however is the complete opposite of that.It would be interesting to see what demographics are involved here.

That's interesting because many people I know who are lets say 'better off' than others are chain smokers! :ohmy:

I know a few of them do it purely for the 'look'. Which I know is crazy, but it's what they say :wacko:

I think it is rather strange to see Royals smoking in public..:ermm:
(exept of Queen Margrethe.. it's normal there ;) ).
I just saw a picture of King Olav smoking on a official Portrait in 1937 where he and CP Märtha presented the newborn Prince Harald. Märtha is posing with the baby and Olav is holding his cigarette...
I don't know, but I think that's really inept...
I also saw some pictures from Harald and Sonja in the late 60s. Both were smoking during photosessions (like their pre-wedding photoshoot) or during official duties...

Her_Majesty said:
I think it is rather strange to see Royals smoking in public..:ermm:
(exept of Queen Margrethe.. it's normal there ;) ).
I just saw a picture of King Olav smoking on a official Portrait in 1937 where he and CP Märtha presented the newborn Prince Harald. Märtha is posing with the baby and Olav is holding his cigarette...
I don't know, but I think that's really inept...
I also saw some pictures from Harald and Sonja in the late 60s. Both were smoking during photosessions (like their pre-wedding photoshoot) or during official duties...

At this time it was considered as absolutely normal.

Does someone know if late Pccs Grace smoked??

fandesacs2003 said:
At this time it was considered as absolutely normal.

Does someone know if late Pccs Grace smoked??

I want to say maybe. When she was still an actress, but I could be 100% wrong.

Lady Jennifer said:
I want to say maybe. When she was still an actress, but I could be 100% wrong.

Thanks.

How did manage Albert to escape from this smoking crasy family:bang:

fandesacs2003 said:
Thanks.

How did manage Albert to escape from this smoking crasy family:bang:

Well you never know. He may be a hidden smoker.

marlene said:
The other thing that I find interesting is that smoking( certainly in North America)is much more prevelant in lower socio-economic groups, ie: less educated and in a lower income level.

how can we be sure of that? the way i see it, smoking is an addiction that doesn't take social classes into account. anyone can be into smoking, whether you live in a palace or in the streets.

what i find funny about these smoking royals is that some of them still try to be hush-hush about it but when they are caught/photographed, they do nothing. :D at least Queen Margrethe didn't hide her habit, and i'm glad she's taking the steps to curb her smoking by following the ban on public smoking in Denmark.

and what i don't like these people (and anyone who smokes in general) is that they have children and though they may try to hide it from them, the kids are bound to discover and it'll be sad if the kids grow up to be smokers too. :yuk:

I think it's really sad how many people- not just Royals - smoke and are ruining their health and the health of those around them.

RhapsodyBrat said:
how can we be sure of that? the way i see it, smoking is an addiction that doesn't take social classes into account.

In the United States, smoking is a "class" thing, for the most part. Whenever I'm in Europe it does always strike me to see the most affluent people smoking. You just don't really see that here. Alot of more affluent people who smoke do it in secret because more and more it's seen as a dumb and low-class thing to do.

Pipe Smokers?

Does anyone know which among the royalty "enjoy the pleasures of the briar," so to speak - i.e. pipe smokers? How about Crown Prince Frederik or his brother, Prince Joachim? I've read they smoke, and their Mom is - or was - famous for her smoking. Any others? I mention these two guys - one reason being I've read a higher percentage of Danish males are pipe smokers than men of any other nation. And I'm sure they could afford the very best in smoking articles, were they so inclined.

I saw a picture I think on this site I think the thread was early pictures of Mary or something like that. But the picture showed Mary sitting beside QM, who was smoking. I tried to click on it but it wouldn't let me, and now I can't find the thread! I was wondering if anybody had that picture.

Greek royals: Nicholaos, Anne-Marie for years (she quit some years ago) Alexia (not sure about her, but her skin specially around her neck looks like)
The whole Danish royal family except of Mary.

Stefanie said:
Greek royals: Nicholaos, Anne-Marie for years (she quit some years ago) Alexia (not sure about her, but her skin specially around her neck looks like)

In her 60th birthday interview Anne-Marie said the only one in her family who still smokes is Nikolaos. She gave up 25 years ago when pregnant with Theodora and her husband 5 years ago.

The Danish royals, Henrik gave up smoking some years ago, Joachim and Margrethe are heavy smokers. Frederik said 2 years ago that he's a 'stop, start again, stop' smoker, maybe he's given up completely.

Whre people say the entire Danish royal Family minus Henrik, do they also mean the former Princess Alexandra?

Stefanie said:
Poor Mary:sad: when your a non-smoker being around it awful:yuk:

LadyK said:
To sum this up, here's a list of smokers, former smokers, and avid non-smokers. This list was compiled from all the pages of the thread, and is not meant to cause argument.

Smokers:

Belgium
Queen Paola
Crown Prince Phillipe (smokes cigars)
Denmark
Queen Margrethe
Prince Joachim
Princess Benedikte
Great Britain
Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother
Prince William of Wales
Prince Harry
Chelsy Davy
Prince Andrew, Duke of York (social smoker)
Princess Margaret
Lady Gabriella Windsor
Lord Frederick Windsor
Greece
King Constantine
Prince Nikolaos
Italy
Prince Emanuel Filiberto of Savoy​
Jordan
King Hussein
Princess Haya
Prince Ali
Queen Noor
Princce Hamzah
Prince Hashim
Luxembourg
Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte (she died of lung cancer)
Grand Duchess Maria Theresa (smokes methol cigarettes)
Monaco
Prince Ranier
Princess Caroline
Andrea Casiraghi
Charlotte Casiraghi
Pierre Casiraghi
Prince Ernst August (I know he's of Hannover)
Princess Stephanie
Morocco
King Mohammed VI
Lalla Meryem
The Netherlands
Queen Beatrix (never in public)
Crown Prince Willem-Alexander, Prince of Orange
Crown Princess Maxima (although never when pregnant)
Prince Constantijn (debatable)
Prince Friso
Princess Marilene
Norway
Princess Ragnild​
Spain
King Juan Carlos (smokes cigars)
Queen Sofia
Infanta Elena
Crown Princess Letizia, Princess of Asturias*
Simoneta Gomez-Acebo
Sweden
Crown Princess Victoria (social smoker)
Prince Carl Philip (social smoker)
Princess Madeleine (regular smoker)

Former Smokers

Belgium
King Albert II​
Denmark
Prince Henrik, the Prince Consort
Crown Prince Frederik (quit for Mary)
Princess Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg (quit b4 1st pregnancy)
Great Britain
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall (quit for Charles)
Sarah, Duchess of York
Sophie, Countess of Wessex
Greece
Princess Alexia​
Norway
King Harold V
Queen Sonja (stopped 1970 because of pregnancy- Thanks to Her_Majesty)
Princess Martha Louise
Crown Prince Haakon
Crown Princess Mette-Marit
Sweden
King Carl XVI Gustav
Queen Silvia

Avid Non-Smokers
Crown Princess Mary of Denmark
Prince Albert of Monaco
Charles, Prince of Wales
Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex
Crown Prince Felipe, Prince of Asturias*

Since Felipe is an avid non-smoker, and hates it when people smoke around him, I question whether Letizia does or not.

Princess Madeleine of Sweden does smoke? :ohmy: Does it give some Pic where she does smoking or from who you know it??

LoveAdam07 said:
Princess Madeleine of Sweden does smoke? :ohmy: Does it give some Pic where she does smoking or from who you know it??
LadyK compiled the list from previous posts in this thread. Post 86 talks about which of the Swedish royals smoke!

Shame that the Casiraghis all smoke. They are all so attractive but the smoking takes away from their image.

Back
Top Bottom