Which Royals Smoke?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
smoking law

here in malta smoking is banned from inside places, like in italy and ireland. though i find it perfectly acceptable not to smoke in a restaurant, i still disagree on no smoking in bars or clubs. i find them so distinct places.

i don't want ppl to get me wrong in this...but ok, ppl cannot smoke inside next to other ppl who might be disturbed by smoking, but outside non-smokers just have to accept having to sit near a smoker. ok it's outside, but smoke till gets to u! my point is basically that, if u pass the law for against passive smoking i still cannot get the point of it. if d point is to decrease smoking, well they just do not get it right...a smoker will manage to smoke wherever, even if that entails staying out in d rain. plus...if a restauarnt or any other outlet has a special area for smokers (some tightly closed look room which looks more like a cage than part of a restaurant) he will choose that that go for a place where non-smoking is allowed, and might even just not visit more places where absolutely no smoking is allowed!

Lady Marmalade said:
Hi,

While you make some very interesting points, the United States is not about to pass laws to degrade the education of "Just say no to Drugs".

I am well aware of the potential medicinal benefits, but given the rampant drug use among minors in this country, the mere symbolic passing of a such a law would open Pandora's box of giving it legitimacy.

We in the U.S. are not in the habit of doing such a thing.

I do give several European countries credit such as Italy and Ireland for banning smoking, but, people who do smoke cigarettes should still not be treated like evil people.

Did everyone know that when she was Queen, the Queen Mother smoked 8 cigarettes a day?

I also read Queen Sofia still smokes three a day, one after each meal.

I think Pandoras box was opened when the US gun laws were passed, I'm not trying to be rude just stating a fact. Whether it's drugs or guns some fool will take advantage of the law but you can't punish everyone for it. Drug education should start in the home with the parents & then through schooling education. If this doesn't happen then whose to blame? This might get me in trouble but the US in my opinion tends to always want to be one step ahead of the game (not always), once other countries start passing particular laws then the US tends to follow suit as not to be left behind for example the cloning laws. The law in regads to marijiuna I believe will be eventually passed but with strict regulations, just a matter of time. It's obvious we won't agree on that so let's not debate it anymore, if it doesn't pass you can come back and mock me and vice versa!

I don't treat people who smoke badly, I just request that they do it elsewhere. I'm an ex smoker and understand some have the "need" to light up but I also understand that quitting is not impossible because I've been cigarette free for 5 years. I did know the Queen Mother smoked, Queen Elizabeth II is said to have smoked as well. It is just in my opinion that with all of the knowledge that we have now a days in regards to the negative effects of second hand smoke that its rather ignorant that some people insist on smoking infront of thier children or others who may not appreciate it. I'm not saying its these royals just people in general.

Last edited:
Well, we are to dicuss royals smoking..but you bring up intriguing points. I have studied in my Master's program for political science some of the more liberal laws recently passed by Cananda. I always find the opposite view point fascinating...as we all must keep an open mind to them.

You do bring up some great views and I enjoy reading them.

Gun laws by the way are have been in effect for many, many years. It is a constitutional amendment....whether or not it is right should not be for debate on this forum.

But, knowing my country as I do from a legal and constitutional standpoint, it will never pass as a federal law.

I know what you mean about smoking...I have gradually weaned myself off of it. Not too easy, but I can empathize with the royals who do smoke.

Not an easy habit to break.

Really? I never would have guessed the current Queen smoked.....Princess Margaret, yes, like a chimney...

Btw...Laura Bush smoked and just recently gave it, but you will never see her do it in public.

Lady Marmalade said:
Well, we are to dicuss royals smoking..but you bring up intriguing points. I have studied in my Master's program for political science some of the more liberal laws recently passed by Cananda. I always find the opposite view point fascinating...as we all must keep an open mind to them.

You do bring up some great views and I enjoy reading them.

Gun laws by the way are have been in effect for many, many years. It is a constitutional amendment....whether or not it is right should not be for debate on this forum.

But, knowing my country as I do from a legal and constitutional standpoint, it will never pass as a federal law.

I know what you mean about smoking...I have gradually weaned myself off of it. Not too easy, but I can empathize with the royals who do smoke.

Not an easy habit to break.

Really? I never would have guessed the current Queen smoked.....Princess Margaret, yes, like a chimney...

Btw...Laura Bush smoked and just recently gave it, but you will never see her do it in public.

Well, I've studied nothing except NBC & CNN (just joking) - nothing pertainig to these law topics anyways. I have a medical background although royal biographer is looking good right about now.:)

Your right I was thinking that these topics were not appropriate for this forum as I was typing them but I couldn't resist.

I must say I loved your posts but chances are you do know your government better than I. I must admit I do hear alot about what's going on in the US and sometimes nothing about Canada which I find bothersome & that's the Canadian news channels...:(

Queen Elizabeth is said to have smoked always privately (not in the public eye) She is said not to be a heavy smoker. I don't know if she still smokes or not. I guess she grew up in the era where it was socially acceptable, both her parents smoked. They say if your parents smoke than your more likely to smoke as well. I feel sorry for these royals/public figures who are scrutinized. The press makes it look like they are demons for a smoking habit that really isn't that bad. Yes, it looks and smells nasty but I'd rather be a smoker than a cocaine addict/alcholoic or medical affliction at least your still in control of your mind as oppose to the other.

Last edited:
Wow....I never knew that about her at all.

I read that Prince Philip swore off cigarettes and promised her when they married he would not do it.

I also found it interesting that Qeen Victoria HATED all forms of tobacco and forbade smoking in any of her homes.

But two of her sons-in-law finally convinced her to give them a gentlemen's room in Widsor Castle where the could smoke so they did not have to keep going outside.

nokklav said:
here in malta smoking is banned from inside places, like in italy and ireland. though i find it perfectly acceptable not to smoke in a restaurant, i still disagree on no smoking in bars or clubs. i find them so distinct places.

i don't want ppl to get me wrong in this...but ok, ppl cannot smoke inside next to other ppl who might be disturbed by smoking, but outside non-smokers just have to accept having to sit near a smoker. ok it's outside, but smoke till gets to u! my point is basically that, if u pass the law for against passive smoking i still cannot get the point of it. if d point is to decrease smoking, well they just do not get it right...a smoker will manage to smoke wherever, even if that entails staying out in d rain. plus...if a restauarnt or any other outlet has a special area for smokers (some tightly closed look room which looks more like a cage than part of a restaurant) he will choose that that go for a place where non-smoking is allowed, and might even just not visit more places where absolutely no smoking is allowed!

Hi Nokklav,
In Canada there are designated smoking areas even outdoors, so that smokers can sit down in certain areas and have thier smoke in peace. If you are found smoking outdoors in a public area that is designated as non smoking (and sometimes that's the sidewalk) you will be ticketed for not only smoking but sometimes littering if you do not dispose of your cigarette butt properly. The police take this very seriously. Here being outside does not mean you can smoke anywhere unless its in your own home or backyard and even now that's being disputed as well. I guess every country is different.

Lady Marmalade said:
Wow....I never knew that about her at all.

I read that Prince Philip swore off cigarettes and promised her when they married he would not do it.

I also found it interesting that Qeen Victoria HATED all forms of tobacco and forbade smoking in any of her homes.

But two of her sons-in-law finally convinced her to give them a gentlemen's room in Widsor Castle where the could smoke so they did not have to keep going outside.

Really, Queen Victoria?? I would have never guessed. Maybe she had an allergy?? Light athsma? Mostly men smoked back then not only cigarette's but cigars as well. Lot's of smoke can be overwhelming for a non smoker. I guess she was ahead of her time in that area.

It's possible Queen Elizabeth quit sometime ago. I'm sure her doctors advised her against it. Especially since her father and Margaret both were diagnosed with lung cancer.

Last edited:
Hi...yes, I read it in the book Queen Victoria's Daughters Princess Helena's husband Prince Christian and Alice's husband Prince Louis of Hesse were both dedicated smokers, as was Princess Louise, her daughter. Both men asked QV if it was okay to have a room for them to smoke in.

She gave her permission and then set aside a room on other side of the castle accessible by having to walk outside to get to it.

i agree on controlled smoking areas and obviously controlling litter...but controlling ppl what to do in their homes or backyard that seems too much then. after all one's home is prvate property. are they really discussing that extreme in canada?

lashinka2002 said:
Hi Nokklav,
In Canada there are designated smoking areas even outdoors, so that smokers can sit down in certain areas and have thier smoke in peace. If you are found smoking outdoors in a public area that is designated as non smoking (and sometimes that's the sidewalk) you will be ticketed for not only smoking but sometimes littering if you do not dispose of your cigarette butt properly. The police take this very seriously. Here being outside does not mean you can smoke anywhere unless its in your own home or backyard and even now that's being disputed as well. I guess every country is different.

I think it should be noted that such discussions are being held in particular cities or provinces in Canada -- not the country as a whole. it would not be a federal law but a provincial or municipal one.

Where I live in Ontario, my municipality was actually one of the first in the province to go smoke free. Toronto was one of the more reluctant cities to do so, but has done so within the last year.

As far as I've heard, the smoking in public outdoor places is really mostly intended for places where children might be around, or people with health risks -- eg. public schools, hospitals, nursing homes, daycares, etc. It would not necessarily apply to all public places, nor your backyard.

I agree Alexandria...It is nice to sit in bars that are smoke free....you don't come out smelling like a cigarette. I have long hair and my god you can smell it all over me.

But....in the same respect I cannot stonewall the smokers because they have a right to enjoy the bar.....so a lot of bars have added patio areas if they are able to for smokers to go out and smoke.

QEII does not smoke

lashinka2002 said:
Queen Elizabeth is said to have smoked always privately (not in the public eye) She is said not to be a heavy smoker. I don't know if she still smokes or not. I guess she grew up in the era where it was socially acceptable, both her parents smoked. They say if your parents smoke than your more likely to smoke as well. I feel sorry for these royals/public figures who are scrutinized. The press makes it look like they are demons for a smoking habit that really isn't that bad. Yes, it looks and smells nasty but I'd rather be a smoker than a cocaine addict/alcholoic or medical affliction at least your still in control of your mind as oppose to the other.

I wonder where you read this because by all accounts as far as I know queen elizabeth ii never smoked and in fact reffered to smoking as "that nasty habit" and Prince Phillip quit smoking for her. He also didn't smoke on his wedding day as a gift to her or something like that. Why would he do that if she smoked too?

Alexandria said:
I think it should be noted that such discussions are being held in particular cities or provinces in Canada -- not the country as a whole. it would not be a federal law but a provincial or municipal one.

Where I live in Ontario, my municipality was actually one of the first in the province to go smoke free. Toronto was one of the more reluctant cities to do so, but has done so within the last year.

As far as I've heard, the smoking in public outdoor places is really mostly intended for places where children might be around, or people with health risks -- eg. public schools, hospitals, nursing homes, daycares, etc. It would not necessarily apply to all public places, nor your backyard.

You are correct. The location I am speaking about is in Ontario.

About 2 years ago I took my daughter to a restaurant for lunch. The restauraunt during the day way a family spot and in on evenings and weekends was more of a pub. We were turned away. I was told that because of the new laws that had passed the restauraunt had to choose if they would be a smoking or non smoking facility. They choose to be a smoking facility and as a result they were not allowed to permit any children into thier place of buisness. That was fine by me we went some where else. This was in Mississauga a city beside Toronto.

yes, restrictions for smoking in outdoor places are intended children, the elderly and those with health problems but also for those without health problems to. The reason why I said restrictions on smoking are being considered in our backyards is because many people do have small if not tiny yards where the smoke can drift over to the neighbours yard. Also in condo's and appartment buildings the air is the same. Smoke rises, people may smoke in hallways, either way over a period of time a tenant/owner will be inhaling a smokers smoke no matter how small it may seem. The smell can seep into thier belongings and ruin them as well. The issue is not if the non smoker has health problems but will they have them in the future because of the smoke. There are many cases where this ahas been proven true. I think these are valid arguments and that if brought up in the legal system would be seriously considered. Healthy people should not have to wait until they are sick IMO.:)

Elise27 said:
I wonder where you read this because by all accounts as far as I know queen elizabeth ii never smoked and in fact reffered to smoking as "that nasty habit" and Prince Phillip quit smoking for her. He also didn't smoke on his wedding day as a gift to her or something like that. Why would he do that if she smoked too?

Over the years I have read many, many articles and books in QEII. I only recall one which claimed that she was a light smoker abt 2 a day in privacy. For me to find the source would be impossible since I don't keep all of the material that I read. Some of it from libraries, mags, papers.... I don't know why Prince Philip would quit smoking for her if she herself was a smoker. Possibly for future children? Maybe what I read was untrue, that's not entirely impossible either. I just think that if she was a smoker at any time the palace would have kept it as quiet as possible.

lashinka2002 said:
About 2 years ago I took my daughter to a restaurant for lunch. The restauraunt during the day way a family spot and in on evenings and weekends was more of a pub. We were turned away. I was told that because of the new laws that had passed the restauraunt had to choose if they would be a smoking or non smoking facility. They choose to be a smoking facility and as a result they were not allowed to permit any children into thier place of buisness. That was fine by me we went some where else. This was in Mississauga a city beside Toronto.

Mississauga is my municipality! :)

Do Alexia of Greece still smoke? I just see a pics of her smoking in Norway,1993.

hania said:
yes she does,jo.if u look at the earlier pages of this thread u wil see their are two pictures of her smoking and even queen sofia is a heavy smoker
Can you put them? :)

It is ina thread on the spanish royals on holiday, will try and get them

I read somewhere Queen Sofia has three a day, one after each meal.

Of course there will be royals who smoke...and maybe some who do more than cigarettes..they are human after all...

...sOfIa.... said:
I also read that and it said that she doesn't smoke average cigarettes but 'those of the long variety' ;)
How do you know that? :)

Back
Top Bottom