Which Royals Are Good Friends?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not so sure about Mary and Kate being friends either... they have only met each other once probably, frederik and mary didn't even attend the royal wedding in london. on top of that, the ages between both couples are different, so i doubt they have very much in common..

I posted that in October last year (I was new to the forums at the time), and I have learnt lots since then. Now, I think that Mary and Catherine don't really know each other that well since they have only met once, and that they're probably not good friends.

Personally i always thought that Beatrice and Harry where really close.

Princess Cristina of Brazil (neé Princess of Ligne) and Archduchess Marie Astrid of Austria (neé Princess of Luxembourg).

They are first cousins and very close to each other.

Are CP Mette-Marit and CP Mary of Denmark close firiend? I've seen a photo where Mary hugged Mette-Marit warmly, so I think both of them are close

How about Maxima and Letizia? They both speak Spanish

I've been wondering about them too. I remember reading somewhere (it might've been on this forum) that Infanta Leonor and Infanta Sofia have met the Dutch Princesses. From that, I think Maxima and Letizia might be friends.

I also wonder if Queen Margrethe is friends with Elizabeth II as she appeared on the documentary "Our Queen". I would imagine that Crown Prince Haakon, Crown Princess Victoria and Crown Prince Frederik are friends as I remember reading that their families are close.

I think Princess Beatrix and Elizabeth II are friends as well.

Last edited:
^^^^
QMII could not have stayed with QEII during WWII as the Danish royal family remained in Denmark throughout the war. I am sure the 2 ladies do know each other since QMII studied in England, met her husband in London, has a sister who lives in London and QMII is known to shop annually in London so she has had plenty of opportunities to meet privately with QEII,,,,,just not during the war.

Thank you for the information, I've corrected my post. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahead of the Prince William's wedding Queen Margrethe II stayed at Buckingham Palace as a guest. That makes me think Queen Margreth and Queen Elizabeth have a good informal relationship.

Last edited by a moderator:
In regards to QMII and QEII, I too think they're friends (or at least have a nice relationship to each other), but the one I really can imagine QMII having the time of her life with is Prince Philip. I think the two of them have the same sort of humour and on the pictures I have seen of them together, they always look like they're happy to see each other. I particularly love this picture.

In regards to QMII and QEII, I too think they're friends (or at least have a nice relationship to each other), but the one I really can imagine QMII having the time of her life with is Prince Philip. I think the two of them have the same sort of humour and on the pictures I have seen of them together, they always look like they're happy to see each other. I particularly love this picture.

That's a lovely photo, I haven't seen it before. It looks like they enjoy each other's company.

Ahead of the Prince William's wedding Queen Margrethe II stayed at Buckingham Palace as a guest. That makes me think Queen Margreth and Queen Elizabeth have a good informal relationship.

I didn't know that Queen Margrethe stayed at Buckingham Palace during the royal wedding, thanks for the information. :)

I found a nice photo of Queen Margarethe and HM at the Golden Jubilee Dinner in 2002:

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02220/dinner_2220186b.jpg

Last edited:
Mary and Marie seem to be friendly With each other too. I'm not sure if they should be included in this thread (if not, then I apologise!) as they are in-laws.

Anyway, they don't seem particularly close in front of people but they exchange children's clothes (see Athena's pink snow suit that is also worn by Isabella and Josephine before), I guess they have to be friendly enough to share clothes right?

charlene gave an interview to the times, where she talked about various things, and in particular how her and maxima are close friends, and how maxima has supported her adjusting into her new role. here's what she said:

"Maxima has been unbelievably supportive if I need help with anything," Charlene revealed. "Because she came from Argentina and moved to Holland, we have made similar lifestyle choices. She has given me advice that I identified with."

Princess Charlene on wedding rumours and her friendship with Queen Maxima - hellomagazine.com

charlene gave an interview to the times, where she talked about various things, and in particular how her and maxima are close friends, and how maxima has supported her adjusting into her new role. here's what she said:

"Maxima has been unbelievably supportive if I need help with anything," Charlene revealed. "Because she came from Argentina and moved to Holland, we have made similar lifestyle choices. She has given me advice that I identified with."

Princess Charlene on wedding rumours and her friendship with Queen Maxima - hellomagazine.com

That's unexpected. I always kind of thought that the Monaco family is kinda isolated from other royals and more close to celebs/rich people.

Oh, that was very funny!!

Does Queen Margrethe II, King Harald V, King Carl XVI Gustaf and their spouses enjoy such a warm relationship?

i liked this article on how masako started feeling better after coming to WA and maxima´s coronation earlier this year. masako wasn't going to travel to the netherlands but did so after maxima convinced her to come on a private phone call. it was masako´s first official trip abroad in 11 years.

naruhito and masako are good friends with WA and Maxima and previously spent time in the netherlands working on masako´s recuperation following their invitation.

maxima certainly seems to have integrated well in royal circles. we know for sure she´s good friends with mathilde, mette marit, letizia, masako and charlene on a private dimension, and not just because of their position, with both masako and charlene reporting what a good help and influence she has been helping them in their roles.

Máxima de Holanda, clave en la recuperación de la princesa Masako

Last edited:
Maxima sounds like an amazing woman. I admire her more and more. How fortunate for the Netherlands that W-A was smart enough to marry her!:whistling:

I created a story board that shows Baudouin & Fabiola's friendships with other royals

Royal Friends

Akihito and Michiko were/are good friends, and they give credit to Baudouin as the one who did the most to make it possible for them to be together. They were separated with Michiko being sent to Europe. Akihito reached out to Baudouin, who not only spoke to Hirohito about the importance of the right spouse for a sovereign. He also took all of Akihito's letters to Michiko in Europe after no Japanese diplomats would help.

Juan Carlos and Sofia (with whom they vacationed virtually every summer). Baudouin learned Spanish and was very happy during his vacations in Spain.

He was close to Juliana and Beatrix and Baudouin pretty much grew up together.

He was also very friendly with QEII.

Harald of Norway was his cousin, so there are a lot of pics of them with Olav and their family.

He was quite close to his sister, Josephine-Charlotte and their children were close nieces/nephews, particularly Margaretha with Fabiola. And, of course the Luxembourg and Belgium families are all related.

I'm on another royal board where they were just stumped as to the political or etiquette reasons why QEII would attend Baudouin's funeral. It's because they were FRIENDS, and she looked up to him. Their stories were similar in many ways about taking on responsibility early in life and their strict adherence to duty and having a wild sibling. :cool:

He seemed to be very friendly with the last Shah, and Fabiola remains close to Empress Farah Pahlavi.

I also get a distinct feeling that he was on very friendly terms with Haile Selassie.

He was a remarkable man and Fabiola is remarkable - both for their openness and friendly personalities.

I've always thought that Princess Victoria of Sweden would be a good friend and although I don't of course know her personally something about him gives me this impression.

yet another fan of maxima: marie chantal, in this interview, confesses herself as a fan of maxima and says:

"she´s perfect. i want my children to be like her, to have that sense of confidence in every situation"

maxima seems to make an impression on people from all walks of life, with MM, mathilde, marie chantal, charlene, masako all being good friends.

Marie-Chantal de Grecia: «Doña Sofía tiene un sentido del deber insuperable» - ABC.es

«Es perfecta. Quiero que mis hijos sean como ella, que tengan esa misma seguridad en todas las circunstancias», dice con entusiasmo.

and yet more from the same article from tatiana santo domingo's admiration for marie chantal's work, who said she loved her designs and made gifts from her brand to pregnant friends of hers. she said she received gifts for sacha from her shop also.

Last edited:
while visiting greece for the anniversary of queen sofia's father, pavlos, marie chantal published several candid pictures of her with other spanish and greek royals, including the infantas and alexia, with the caption "with my favourite spanish ladies".

El 'selfie' de las Infantas | loc | EL MUNDO

I agree with you, and QEII is related to the Spanish Royal Family; Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain ( King Juan Carlos' grandmother) was a granddaughter of Queen Victoria...;)

Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip, King Juan Carlos of Spain, Queen Sofia of Spain, King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, and King Harald V of Norway are all great-great-grandchildren of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom.

In addition, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip, King Harald V , Queen Margrethe II , Queen Sofia, and former King Albert II of Belgium are all great-great-grandchildren of King Christian IX of Denmark.

In fact, King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands is currently the only European king descended from neither Queen Victoria nor King Christian IX. He is however a rather distant relative of all other European monarchs through their common descent from King George II of the United Kingdom.

Maybe Queen Elizatbeth II sees Queen Beatrix as the only one who is able to overpower her in glitter and glam, in pomp and circumstance and in radiating distant majesty. I sense a sort of respectful distance between the two. Both Majesties treat each other as Majesties. Not as Trixie and Lillibet.

That would make sense as, following the abolition of the monarchy in Germany/Prussia, the House of Orange-Nassau probably became the second most prestigious Protestant royal house in Europe after the Windsors, with the Swedish royal house coming a distant third IMHO. The Dutch royal family also happens to be much wealthier than most of their continental European peers.

Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip, King Juan Carlos of Spain, Queen Sofia of Spain, King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, and King Harald V of Norway are all great-great-grandchildren of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom.

In addition, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip, King Harald V , Queen Margrethe II , Queen Sofia, and former King Albert II of Belgium are all great-great-grandchildren of King Christian IX of Denmark.

In fact, King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands is currently the only European king descended from neither Queen Victoria nor King Christian IX. He is however a rather distant relative of all other European monarchs through their common descent from King George II of the United Kingdom.

Not all European monarchs are descended from George II. The closest common ancestor of all hereditary European monarchs is Johan Willem Friso of Orange, Prince of Orange.

The argument that all kings (and Queens) of Europe are descended from either Victoria or Christian IX (or both) except Willem-Alexander also doesn't take into consideration that not all European monarchies are kingdoms. If memory serves, neither Hans-Adam of Liechtenstein nor Albert II of Monaco are descended from Victoria, Christian IX, or George II. . I'm also pretty sure that Henri of Luxembourg isn't descended from Victoria or Christian IX.

Back
Top Bottom