Which Royals Are Good Friends?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even though they are obviously very different ages, I can imagine CP Victoria and Queen Margrethe getting along very well:)

Does someone know about the Grimaldis?? Do they have any royal friends??

I know it isn´t a lot but once i saw i pic of prince Albert and Queen Silvia and King Carl´Gustav talking in the Pope´s funeral.

pollyemma said:
I'm not sure about Maxima and Letizia. there were the photos of them chatting at Mary and Frederick's wedding but that is the only time I'm aware of that they were together. (other than Letizia's wedding but that doesn't really count)

does anyone know of other instances where they were hanging out together?

I've seen photos of the CP families of Norway and Holland together informally. it seems pretty logical for MM and Maxima to get together so that little Ingrid and Amalia can become friends.

I read somehwere that they call each other and talk sometimes. (Maxima and Letizia)

I think Margrethe & Henrik, and Albert & Paola get on well with each other. I've read a while ago that some years ago Henrik stayed with Albert and Paola, when he was recovering from surgery he had in Belgium. I've also seen a picture of Albert and Paola visiting Margrethe and Henrik at their wine castle in France.

I believe Prince Henrik is also friends with Prince Philip-Erasmus and Princess Isabelle of Liechtenstein (brother of Hans-Adam II) and with Diane of Wurttemberg (nee France).

I have seen a photograph of Prince Henrik and Princess Gloria von Thurn und Taxis in a rather informal setting. I am not sure if they are friends, but they look it in the photo.

Empress Farah Pahlavi and Queen Sofia of Spain

Piewi said:
Does someone know about the Grimaldis?? Do they have any royal friends??

I know it isn´t a lot but once i saw i pic of prince Albert and Queen Silvia and King Carl´Gustav talking in the Pope´s funeral.
I always thought that Prince Charles was a friend of the Grimaldis. There was a rumor many years ago that he was going to get married to Princess Caroline. This was before her first marriage. I think the newspapers made that one up.

Jil said:
I always thought that Prince Charles was a friend of the Grimaldis. There was a rumor many years ago that he was going to get married to Princess Caroline. This was before her first marriage. I think the newspapers made that one up.

If I remember correctly, then I think that was just a possibility and the two went out together once and there wasn't a spark so their families let it drop.

Piewi said:
Does someone know about the Grimaldis?? Do they have any royal friends??.
Well I don't really know anything on this subject when it comes to the present Grimaldi family, but I think that the late Prince Bertil of Sweden (an uncle of King Carl XVI Gustaf) got along quite well with the late Prince Rainier and Princess Grace - they seemed to enjoy each other's company.

Thanks for your anwer Jil and Grand Duchess!
as far as i know caroline didn´t like Charles when they met

I remember seeing that (Beatrix meeting Sofia and Juan-Carlos) on television. She was very happy to see them. The queen was celebrating her 60th birthday and the spanish royal couple could not attend due to an ETA attack in Spain. However, the attended lunch at the palace in Apeldoorn. Infanta Pilar stayed for the remainder of the celebrations.

King Juan Carlos and King Hussein II of Jordan were like the best of friends, the late one gave the SRF the Mareta Palace in Lanzarote as a gift and that's why I think Noor and Sofía are still very good friends.

Cristina was very good friends with Phillippe of Belgium, there was a rumor they would get married; her and her husband are friends with Haakon, Kyril and Alexia (Cristina & Alexia lived together for several years in Barcelona; their relationship is alike to that of Queen Sofía with Princess Tatiana)

The SRF seems to be extremely close to their Greek (Alexia, Pavlos and Nikolaos not Theodora or Phillipos) and Gómez Acebo cousins but not that close to the Zurita (children of Infanta Margarita) maybe because of the age gap

rox said:
Maxima has still a Spanish accent when she's speaking deutch. Mathilde speaks now very wel deutch , You don't hear anywmore her french accent . Astrid is doing well . But Claire and Paola still have to learn a lot B)

You meant she speaks Dutch not German (Deutsch). Dutch as Vlaams (Flemish) and Letzeburgisch (the dialect of Letzteburg = Luxemburg) are historically German dialects, versions of the "Rheinfränkisch" (rhine-franconian), which had their own development into a modern language.

Greetings from Germany, Jo (who was born in the Palatinate, where another of the Rheinfränkisch-dialects is spoken.)

Jil said:

I think she was one of the royals that was suggested to Charles but, as you say, there was no spark.

judging from the many pictures and old video footage, I'd say that Queen Noor and the late King Hussein were good friends with Queen Beatrix and her husband. I assume the two women are still friends after the deaths of their husbands.

Queen Rania and Prince Charles are good friends, as pointed out in a previous post. The Queen also seems to be friends with Camilla (since before the marriage, through osteofound). QR even mentioned rather candidly in an interview to Hello that she felt the British press had been hard on Camilla.
Ofcourse that doesnt seem to be much of a problem anymore.

The friendship between Queen Noor and Farah Pahlavi has been mentioned before too. Farah was invited to Prince Hamzah's wedding reception, despite complaints from the Iranian government.
Farah also seems to have been a good friend of the late Queen Alia of Jordan.

I have also observed from the several pictures I've seen of them together, that CP Victoria and Prince Ali seem to have a very friendly relationship as well.

I'll find some pictures and post them here soon.

Last edited:
There's a picture of Victoria and Ali dancing but I don't remember which thread is it on:eek: :eek:

Princess Máxima and Princess Mathilde have worked together in the microcredit program

The pictures of Beatrix meeting Sofia and JuanCarlos are really lovely! :)
Beatrix seems to be very temperful and their relationship looks cordially!

Here's another picture of Queen Sofia and Queen Sonja during a trip on the Spanish boat.

Getty Images

prince charles and rania are very good friends due to the fact that charles and abdullah were friends from their youth, abdullah came to england to study high school, oxford and then sandhurst. he supported charles throughout the 80s and 90s, it has been reported.
tzar nicholas the second was best friend with king george due to their close relations( mothers' were sisters) and both hated the kaiser of germany.
prince charles also is very good friends with prince albert as they appear side by side in charity functions in the UK, whenever prince albert is over here. princess grace was also very good friends with charles.
and last year, it was found out that all heads if state meet each other every year to discuss going-ons( this was reportedly revealed by mistake from CP Fredriks camp on his website), they also meet up every new year, as this year QEII hosted it.

CP Victoria and Felipe appears to be close friends. When Felipe and Letizia visited Stockholm Victoria mentioned in one interview that she had been to Spain (to visit the royal family) in November right after the engagement. There are also photos of her and the K Juan Carlos and Q Sofia during a visit that was not official.

Here is one from the spanish visit to Norway. Look at Sofia and Harald...AND is Sofia getting the secret evil eye from Sonja?? :D :rolleyes:
But seriously it shows how comfortable they feel around each other ;)

source: polfoto

Last edited:
Marengo said:
Thans spiffy, I still remember seeing on television the Queen almost running to meet Juan-Carlos and Sofia on this occassion & hugging them. I believe Claus and Sofia could get along very well to. It was at Palace Het Loo where the queen celebrated parts of her 60th birthday. Due to a ETA bomb attack the king and quen did not find it appropriate to attend all the festivities, however, they came over for a lunch at the palace, a very sweet gesture! I also remember the Charles V celebrations in Spain where Queen Beatrix and Juan-Carlos were walking armed from a cathedral.

At Prince Claus' funeral, Juan Carlos and Sofia were also placed ahead in the procession before other royals who by protocol (determined by who has been ruling longest) they should've followed. I read articles at the time that because of the nature of Beatrix's friendship with the Spanish monarchs, they were specifically placed to be closer to the Queen and her family.

...sOfIa.... said:
Here is one from the spanish visit to Norway. Look at Sofia and Harald...AND is Sofia getting the secret evil eye from Sonja?? :D :rolleyes:

A newspaper article published here in Finland said that Sofia's mother wanted her to marry Harald; she wanted her eldest daughter to be a queen and Juan Carlos at the time wasn't a safe bet. But Harald had other things in his mind already... ;) The truth is out there. I love Sofia, she always looks nice and sincere and very caring.

lisamaria said:
A newspaper article published here in Finland said that Sofia's mother wanted her to marry Harald; she wanted her eldest daughter to be a queen and Juan Carlos at the time wasn't a safe bet. But Harald had other things in his mind already... ;) The truth is out there. I love Sofia, she always looks nice and sincere and very caring.

Yes I knew that lisamaria:) ...But I think i'm glad that the things turned out the way they did. Sofia makes a great Queen of Spain and Sonja a great Queen of Norway, Harald definately made a good choice!;)

Back
Top Bottom