Where Did Royal Couples Meet?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KikkiB

Nobility
City
Hometown
Country
Norway
Could you please help me with something I've been wondering about? I've noticed that Olympic Games are where a lot of royal couples met and fell in love, and I know about some couples, but are there more?

1) Crown Prince Olav and Princess Martha of Sweden (even though they probably knew eachother before, as they were cousins), The 1924 Winter Olympics.
2) King Leopold and Princess Astrid of Sweden, The 1926 (?) Winter Olympics (I don't know if he was king at this point).
3) King Carl Gustav and Silvia Somerlath, The 1972 Munich Summer Olympics.
4) Princess Cristina of Spain and Inaki (the handball player), The 1996 Atlanta Summer Olympics.
5) Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark and Mary Donaldson, The 2000 Sydney Summer Olympics.

How did the royals meet?

How did the royal couples meet? I am sure that a few people do not know and wonder how the royal couples met. In this thread anyone will be able to read their stories.

I will post later.

wow i never knew so many Royal couples met at the Olympics! i thought it was only Mary and Frederick hehehe

hmmm... HELLO!!!! aren't you forgetting moi!!!! and ernstie!!!!! *sigh*

when mary and fred were at the olympics didn't they meet over coffee or a bar or something??

kittencrews said:
hmmm... HELLO!!!! aren't you forgetting moi!!!! and ernstie!!!!! *sigh*

when mary and fred were at the olympics didn't they meet over coffee or a bar or something??
:p they met at a nightclub at darling harbour after the olympics had finished

Prince Charles met Diana Spencer later become Princess of Wales at Althorp when Diana was 16 years old

Prince Edward met Sophie-Rhys Jones later become Countess of Wessex at Tennis tournament in 1993

Princess Anne met Captain Phillip?

Prince Andrew met Sarah Ferguson later become Duchess of York ?

Crown Prince Frederick met Mary Donaldson at Olympics in Australia

King of Sweden met Slivia at Canada Olympics? i think so!

im not sure about Royals couples who mets somewhere! you have idea about that?

Sara Boyce

bad_barbarella said:
did any royals meet in secret and keep this romance secret?
Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandras relationship was a secret, no one new about it until their engament became public.

MarieLouise said:
Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandras relationship was a secret, no one new about it until their engament became public.
It was the same for Philippe and Mathilde.

Danielane said:
It was the same for Philippe and Mathilde.
Prince Richard and Princesse Benedikte of Berleburg met each other at Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus wedding.

sara1981 said:
Sara Boyce
They met at the Munic olympics in 1972, because Queen Silvia was working as a translator to the VIP visitors. And as we know the Queen is originally German/Brazilian, and she lived in Germany at that time. The King kept looking at her through his binoculars and I think they also met at some dinner thing later. And according to the King, it just said klick and they were in love.

IIRC, Princess Anne first met Mark Phillips in 1968, at a reception for the British equestrian team at the Olympics. She also attended the Munich Games where Mark was competing so perhaps that's where the romance "blossomed."
Princess Grace first met Prince Rainier during a photo shoot in Monaco for "Life" magazine IIRC.
Queen Noor I think met King Hussein at a party in Amman not long after the death of Queen Alia.
Richard, Duke of Gloucester met Birgitte while they were both studying at Cambridge University.

Actually Olav said in his memoirs that it was during the celebration of their mutual grandmother Queen Louise's 70th birthday in 1921, in Denmark that he first realized that he could fall in love with his cousin Märtha. He called it love at first sight, as grown ups.

They became unofficially engaged during the 1928 Summer Olympics in Amsterdam. (Where Olav participated and won gold, by the way.)

King Harald and Queen Sonja met through mutal friends.

Queen Margrethe of Denmark met Prince Henrik at a dinner party.

norwegianne said:
Actually Olav said in his memoirs that it was during the celebration of their mutual grandmother Queen Louise's 70th birthday in 1921, in Denmark that he first realized that he could fall in love with his cousin Märtha. He called it love at first sight, as grown ups.

Thanks for helping me straighten out my facts:eek: I ought to know this since I'm Norwegian and can remember King Olav from my childhood.

KikkiB said:
norwegianne said:

Thanks for helping me straighten out my facts:eek: I ought to know this since I'm Norwegian and can remember King Olav from my childhood.

Anytime :) I'd read that quote from him in several biographies, last in Arvid Møller's about Crown Princess Märtha... :) Of course the most vivid thing I remember about him from my childhood was the day we got off school to watch his funeral on television...

What I remember the most is that I was one of the pupils at school who got to light a candle in church for his memorial service, and I was very proud to be alowed to do such an important task, because I never got to do these things at school.

But to turn back to what this tread really was about... CP Haakon and Mette-Marit met at the Quart's festival. A popular pop/rock festival at Kristiansand. CP Haakon is a known musiclover, and have been to this festival a lot of times. And Kristiansand is CP Mette-Marit's home town.

Last edited:
i think secret romances are the cutest personally if i wouldnt want everyone to know where i met the man of my dreams... its so cute secret romances still exist

what about Prince Andrew met Sarah Ferguson? i think its polo or whatsoever!

Sara Boyce

But I read anyone knows how met King Badouin (is like this?) and Queen Fabiola? Only their family but is a "family secret"

sara1981 said:
I think not ..... but if you were to say, the 1972 Olympics in Munich, I would agree with you.

Elizabeth II and Philip first met at Royal Navy College Dartmouth, where he was a cadet, on July 1939, while she was in visit with her parents. He was 18 and she was 13.

ElisaR said:
Elizabeth II and Philip first met at Royal Navy College Dartmouth, where he was a cadet, on July 1939, while she was in visit with her parents. He was 18 and she was 13.
that true!

i remind i read Her Majesty the Queen's books about her life when she was young and she kept eyes at him and falling love with him i cant believe she did that! they later both got engagement in summer 1947 at Balmoral im sure!

Sara Boyce

Most Romantic First Encounter/Courtship

Which royal couple had the most romantic first encounter and/or courtship?
:)

i love the pictures i've seen of queen elizabeth and philip when they first met, they were playing in the garden (chase or something) and they wrote letters to one another... so romantic!

caroline and ernst on the other hand, grace always had her eye on him, because she wanted caroline to either marry charles or ernst. caroline met ernst on a ski trip in her teenage years and found him "boring" so i guess when they became closer friends later in life she had no reason to find him "boring!!!"

sara1981 said:
that true!

i remind i read Her Majesty the Queen's books about her life when she was young and she kept eyes at him and falling love with him i cant believe she did that! they later both got engagement in summer 1947 at Balmoral im sure!

Sara Boyce

They became secretely engaged while Philip was staying at Balmoral during summer 1946. Then the engagement was announced in July 1947.

I KNOW now where I have to go to meet the man of my life (maybe a prince ?!!!! loool !! ) : THE OLYMPICS GAMES !!!!!! :D :D

When are the next ? 2006 for winter and 2008 for summer ... !!

Back
Top Bottom