Where Did Royal Couples Meet?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what about Princess Astrid and Archiduc Lorenz ?

SpiffyBallerina said:
Beatrix met Claus at a dinner party. From then on, Prince Richard acted as a decoy (he and Claus were old friends) so Claus and Beatrix could spend some more time getting to know each other without the pressure from the public. Then some random photographer hid in the garden and took this fuzzy picture of an unsuspecting Beatrix and Claus and their little secret was out!

well, according to some accounts he had higher ambitions then just be the decoy ;)

King Albert II and Princess Paola Ruffo di Calabria met in Rome, during a reception given in the honour of the new pope, I believe. Albert was fascinated immediately (which is not strange, considering Paola's incredible beauty and charm).

aliocha said:
what about Princess Astrid and Archiduc Lorenz ?

I read they met during a party for Astrid's 18th birthday.

mirrjam said:
I read just the whole letter, what a beautiful complete piece history..!! I loved it!!

so the crownprincely couples have really different situations; according to how they met, and how long after they met eachother, they got married...
letizia and felipe got married really fast isn 'it? :confused:
And mathilde and philipe took a bit longer to get to know eachother..:)
that is all very interesting to look at I think.. I like this thread!:D

Everyone focuses on Felipe and Letizia having got married very fast, bur Cristina and Inaki met in summer 1996 during the Olympic Games in Atlanta and got married in october 1997.

For the royals that married people of a non-royal, non-socialite background (Alexandra, Angela Brown), I wonder how they even managed to be in a position to meet. I mean, I wouldn't expect to run into a prince at any place I went to, you know? I guess it was just Fate/the right timing?

BurberryBrit said:
For the royals that married people of a non-royal, non-socialite background (Alexandra, Angela Brown), I wonder how they even managed to be in a position to meet. I mean, I wouldn't expect to run into a prince at any place I went to, you know? I guess it was just Fate/the right timing?

In Cristina & Iñaki's case, the thing was that both were Olympic participants and she came to a party to celebrate the bronze medal gotten by the spanish handball team in Atlanta 96' so she met him there an there was another casualty: they both lived in Barcelona, so everything worked out fine for them to start dating...

She was the flag wearer at Seul 88' and he was the flag wearer at Sydney 2000 (the final ceremony)

LaMinka said:
I dont think that! I have seen a pics of Andrew and Sarah with the queen when they was children

I thought that they knew eachother as children. Wasn't Sarah's father was Charles' or Philips polo teacher?

Princess Caroline and Stefano Casiraghi in 1981 or 1982 in a disco in Monte-Carlo

Where/When did royal couples meet?

Frederik and Mary met during Olympic Games as well as Cristina and Iñaki and what about the other royal couples?

Silvia & Carl Gustaf also met during the Olympics

You are true Jess Rulz, which means Olympic brought luck to many royal couples.:)

Willem-Alexander and Maxima during the feria de Sevillia, in Seville, Spain.

Sira said:
You are true Jess Rulz, which means Olympic brought luck to many royal couples.:)

Then Crown Prince Olav met Princess Märtha during the 1928 Olympics. That is they knew eachother from before, since they were cousins, but it was during the Olympics their friendship developed to something more.

And not to forget, CP Frederic and Mary, which met during the Sydney Olympics. Not directly at the Olympics, but in connection to it.

I've merged two existing threads, so please read through the thread before making new posts - see first if anybody else has said what you were planning to say.

And, as Alexandria has mentioned earlier in this thread - do check out the newsletter where we featured the royal couples :D

hrhcp said:
I think not ..... but if you were to say, the 1972 Olympics in Munich, I would agree with you.

sara 1981 is right, the King and Queen of Sweden met at the Olympics in Munich

Sonja&Harald

I read that then Prince Harald met Sonja Haraldsen the first time when he was a young boy.
They met at a summer-camp but didn't really care about each other. ;)
Next they met at a party, in 1959. They decided to date and go out with each other.
Well, the rest is clear: 9 years of wait untill the Wedding in 1968. :)
That's the Story I heard. ;)

tigerlilly2005 said:
Princess Caroline and Stefano Casiraghi in 1981 or 1982 in a disco in Monte-Carlo
I´m not sure about that, i read they met at a birthday party of a friend they had in common.

ally_cooper said:
But I read anyone knows how met King Badouin (is like this?) and Queen Fabiola? Only their family but is a "family secret"

This could be a madeup story, but I have heard that Baudoin was on holiday somewhere in Spain, and was just driving around in his car. He then had a bit of an accident; he crashed with another vehicle, and from that car stepped out Doña Fabiola Fernanda María de las Victorias Antonia Adelaida de Mora y Aragón. It was for him love at first sight; the more miraculous thing was that she was a noblewoman and a relative of the Spanish royal family, and a proper bride material for a king right away :flowers: She BTW wrote children's literature and worked as a nurse at the time.

I really hope it is true, for it is a wonderful, wonderful story.

King Michael and Queen Anne of Romania .
I read that they met a Queen Elizabeth's wedding and and didnt know she was meeting king Michael so she clicked her heels instead of curtsying to him. he thought it was cute and they started seeing each other.

Does anyone know how these royals met?

Queen Mother and George VI

Prince Floris and Princess Aimee

During the wedding festivities of her brother Frederick Francis to Princess Alexandra of Hanover in Schwerin in June 1904, Cecilie of Mecklenburg-Schwerin got to know her future husband, German Crown Prince Wilhelm.

Some of the Younger royals.

Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel met at the gym he owned. He was her personal trainer.

Prince Carl Philip and Sofia met while he was dining with a friend and she walked by with her friends at Båstad. Their friends knew each other.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge met at University. They read the same classes and lived in the same hall. Plus some of her friends knew some of hers.

Earl and Countess of Wessex met when his tennis partner couldn't come so she got paired up with him instead.

So many cute stories :)

Some of the Younger royals.

Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel met at the gym he owned. He was her personal trainer.

Prince Carl Philip and Sofia met while he was dining with a friend and she walked by with her friends at Båstad. Their friends knew each other.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge met at University. They read the same classes and lived in the same hall. Plus some of her friends knew some of hers.

Earl and Countess of Wessex met when his tennis partner couldn't come so she got paired up with him instead.

So many cute stories :)

Earl and Countess of Wessex met at a real tennis PR event which Sophie worked for. Sue Barker the original person who was going to pose with Edward couldn't turn up so Sophie was chosen to do it as she was pretty and blonde. Edward took an immediate liking to her and shortly after contacted her to thank her for all the work she had done and asked her out ro dinner. He obviously had an ulterior motive! It's a nice way to meet each other and on their wedding cake they had tennis rackets at the top as a nod to how they met.

Earl and Countess of Wessex met at a real tennis PR event which Sophie worked for. Sue Barker the original person who was going to pose with Edward couldn't turn up so Sophie was chosen to do it as she was pretty and blonde. Edward took an immediate liking to her and shortly after contacted her to thank her for all the work she had done and asked her out ro dinner. He obviously had an ulterior motive! It's a nice way to meet each other and on their wedding cake they had tennis rackets at the top as a nod to how they met.
How cute! :) I only knew a vague version of it! :p

How cute! :) I only knew a vague version of it! :p

It is cute and complete stroke of luck because if Sue had been there that day then Sophie would never have had her photo taken with Edward

It's always nice to see how everyone meets.

It is cute and complete stroke of luck because if Sue had been there that day then Sophie would never have had her photo taken with Edward

It's always nice to see how everyone meets.
Yeah, I love those chance storys. I know of an old couple (sorry for going OT but it's so cute) that met at night. She was hanging with some friends and started leaning at a door. The door swung open and she fell into a porcelain store. The door was unlocked even though it was night and an alarm went of when she fell in. He was the night watchman and that is how they met :p

Is there any more very chancy royal meetings out there? :)

Does anyone know how these royals met?

Queen Mother and George VI

Prince Floris and Princess Aimee

IloveCP, Prince Albert (George VI) had met Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon when they were children. Elizabeth and Albert had met in 1905 when they attended a party the Duchess of Buccleuch gave for her grandchildren at Montagu House.
Elizabeth saw Albert at the Royal Air Force Ball at the Ritz on the evening of July 8, 1920.

Haakon and Mette-Marit: At the Quart music festival in the hometown of Mette-Marit, Kristiansand.

Frederik and Mary: Frederik and Mary met at the Slip Inn during the 2000 Summer Olympics on September 16 in Sydney.

Victoria and Daniel: In 2002, Victoria and Daniel met when Daniel became her personal trainer.

William and Catherine: William and Catherine met while studying at the University of St. Andrews.

Willem-Alexander and Máxima: Willem and Máxima met in Seville, Spain, during the April Fair.

Felipe and Letizia: met at a dinner organized by Pedro Erquicia.

How did other royal couples meet?
Harry and Meghan
Harald and Sonja
Carl Gustaf and Sílvia
Albert and Charlene
Philippe and Mathilde
Albert and Paola
Astrid and Lorenz
Guilaume and Stéphanie
Félix and Claire

Last edited:
Harry and Meghan were set up on a blind date by mutual friend Marcus Anderson

Albert and Charlene met when she participated in a swimming competition in Monaco

Phillipe and Mathilde met at a tennis match apparently and IIRC Phillippe says the second he saw her he went over and talked to her and knew they would be married one day.

Back
Top Bottom