What Languages Do The Royals Speak?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know that she's not a royal yet, but Countess Stephanie de Lannoy speaks Russian.

This is the link
Bryllup - Margrethe og Henrik - dr.dk/Bonanza

The vid Sølvbryllupsfest på Fredensborg

An entire speech? :eek:

Sorry, no. It takes me about five times as long to translate what is said on a video than to translate a written text.

Here is the speech: Prins Henriks tale - Nationalt | www.b.dk You can put it through Google translate.
I'd estimate it would take me about 45 minutes to translate that text, and as it doesn't contain anything new.... Google translate, okay? ;)

okay thanks a lot!
although this was not the speech that I asked you, but this is also interesting ...
thanks for giving me your time!

Do we know if the Duchess of Cambridge can speak any other languages other than English?
I believe she has learnt abit of Welsh but anything else?

A pre-wedding interview with HGD Guillaume and Stéphanie from ZDF, in German.
ZDF Mediathek

Their German is very good, both speak fluently and have a cute (noticeable but not strong) accent.
I was surprised how confident and likeable Stéphanie comes across in this video. From the pictures I always thought she was shy and maybe even a little naive, but not at all. She seems like a really confident young woman and I think she's had an interesting career/development, speaking several languages and all.

King Hussein knew little french, His brother Prince Hassan speaks 8 languages.

there were some reports that both the infantas were learning Chinese, but we dont know if it true or not.

It might not be so far-fetched that they are learning Chinese, since Chinese is an up and comming foreign language to learn these days. I know that some middle and junior high schools in Norway teach Chinese as a foreign language, as an elective instead of the more traditonal languages taught in school (German, French, Spanish). There is also growing diplomatic and commerical connections between the European countries and China is growing. It might come handy in the future:)

Did she also speak French and German too?

I've heard somewhere that Diana could speak pretty good French (but currently I have no idea where I've seen that, so I might be wrong). Never heard anything about her speaking German, though.

Considering Diana's less than impressive education record, I wonder where she learned to speak French?

:previous:

MFL (modern foreign language), although not compulsory, is taught at most British schools, and most certainly in private ones. The most common MFL is French.

Diana was first educated at Riddlesworth Hall which offers French as a core subject (key stage 1 and 2). Her next school was The New School at West Heath, which likewise offers an MFL as a core subject (key stage 3); Diana's MFL was French.

Diana was likely to have been fluent in French; in fact, I don't think I would be wrong to say most ladies of Diana's background could (and still can) speak French to varying degrees of fluency.

Thanks for more detailed info, Artemisia, that's precisely what I meant :)

You are welcome, LadyAnnie. :)

I studied French in school from the ages of 6-18 but I'm not fluent. French being one of two official languages in Canada, it is offered in most schools but to be considered bi-lingual in Canada, you have to study in an immersion program. Basically, all French, all the time and then people go on to study the language in university.

Does anyone know of a video or audio link where Diana is speaking French, just curious to have a listen.

:previous: Yeah I'd love to have a listen too if anyone happens to find a video, I personally tried and failed to do so :/

:previous:

MFL (modern foreign language), although not compulsory, is taught at most British schools, and most certainly in private ones. The most common MFL is French.

Diana was first educated at Riddlesworth Hall which offers French as a core subject (key stage 1 and 2). Her next school was The New School at West Heath, which likewise offers an MFL as a core subject (key stage 3); Diana's MFL was French.

Diana was likely to have been fluent in French; in fact, I don't think I would be wrong to say most ladies of Diana's background could (and still can) speak French to varying degrees of fluency.

I do recall a story about Charles, early in the marriage, speaking French to her at dinner so the servants would not understand but unfortunately Diana didn't have a clue what he was saying either. I kind of doubt her linguistic abilities.

:previous: now when you've mentioned it I think I'd heard it somewhere too... And as Duke-of-Earl said, judging from her education record it actually is highly possible

How do the royal children communicate with each other?
Like at Princess Victoria's wedding?

wow... they all speak so much languages...

You can hear Mette-Marit holding a whole speech in German (although she doesn't speak any German) here:

Das "Goldene Herz" für Mette-Marit (around minute 7:00)

It was impressive that she was holding a whole speech in a language she actually doesn't speak. :flowers:

Quite impressive! Wonder who was helping her with the pronunciation, most of the time you really couldn't tell that she doesn't even speak German.

Quite impressive! Wonder who was helping her with the pronunciation, most of the time you really couldn't tell that she doesn't even speak German.
Are German and Norwegian very similar?
I didn't speak either of these language, but by hearing the speech, I think Norwegian has more melody in its pronunciation than German.

Are German and Norwegian very similar?
Both languages are Germanic languages, but apart from that not really smilar.
There are some words that are similar in Norwegian and German, but actually I think the two languages are completely different. I am German and don't understand Norwegian at all. :D The pronounciation is different too, imo.

Both languages are Germanic languages, but apart from that not really smilar.
There are some words that are similar in Norwegian and German, but actually I think the two languages are completely different. I am German and don't understand Norwegian at all. :D The pronounciation is different too, imo.

As you a native German, did you understand all, what she said? Because I thought I am pretty good in German, but I didn't understand her every time. But IMO, she spoke very good, it takes time as long as somebody so good speaks, so I think she took a few german-lesson before it. Or she took some weeks or months to learn only this speech. Very impressive.

Back
Top Bottom