What Languages Do The Royals Speak?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
how many language crown prince haakon of norway speak?

how many language crown prince haakon of norway speak?

They will tell you he can speak Norwegian type 1, Norwegian type 2, Swedish, Danish, Icelandic, the dialect of the Feroe Islands, and he can understan German very well.
BUT THE TRUTH is: he can speak Norwegian and English, that´s all
(only an idiot national of Norway would not understand Swedish, etc)

I believe that Prince Charles is definetly fluent in Welsh. I'm pretty sure that's a well know fact.

That is not true. He had the basics taught to him before his invetature. He has a translation of speeches when he is at the Welsh assembly

Queen Sofia recently said that she spoke four languages and she didn't speak any of them very well. I guess the languages are english, spanish, german and greek.

That is not true. He had the basics taught to him before his invetature. He has a translation of speeches when he is at the Welsh assembly

I've heard the Prince speak very fluent welsh.

I have read in several articles, that princess Letizia speaks english very well. At this article of yesterday´s visit to Berlin it is said, that Letizia and the mayor of Berlin, Klaus Wovereit both spoke english at their meeting.
Lavanguardia - La princesa Letizia debuta sola en el extranjero
This article tells that Letizia spoke english with mrs. Köhler, asking if she had pronounced German right at the beginning of her speech:
news.de - Prüfung bestanden
At this article it is said that Letizia was very ease and happy during the visit to Berlin, her good english helped the communication during the whole day.
DiezMinutos - La Princesa Letizia ya vuela sola

I've heard the Prince speak very fluent welsh.

You've heard the Prince speak taught Welsh. He is not fluent in the language. If there are any other Welsh speaker on the site I'm sure they will support me on that.

I feel quite strongly that if the Prince of Wales is going to hold that title then they should be taught the lanuage from childhood. That is not unreasonable when you think about the European Royals who learn so many tongues.

You've heard the Prince speak taught Welsh. He is not fluent in the language. If there are any other Welsh speaker on the site I'm sure they will support me on that.

I feel quite strongly that if the Prince of Wales is going to hold that title then they should be taught the lanuage from childhood. That is not unreasonable when you think about the European Royals who learn so many tongues.

Well I and several other members of my family have heard him speak welsh.

King Mohammed VI and his siblings Moulay rachid,Lalla meryem,Lalla hasna and Lalla asma speak Arabic,French,Spanish and English.

Well I and several other members of my family have heard him speak welsh.

You may have heard him speak Welsh words. He might even managed something like

' goodmorning' etc

But he is NOT a Welsh speaker

I have read in several articles, that princess Letizia speaks english very well. At this article of yesterday´s visit to Berlin it is said, that Letizia and the mayor of Berlin, Klaus Wovereit both spoke english at their meeting.
Lavanguardia - La princesa Letizia debuta sola en el extranjero
This article tells that Letizia spoke english with mrs. Köhler, asking if she had pronounced German right at the beginning of her speech:
news.de - Prüfung bestanden
At this article it is said that Letizia was very ease and happy during the visit to Berlin, her good english helped the communication during the whole day.
DiezMinutos - La Princesa Letizia ya vuela sola
I would think that being a journalist by trade, she would have to have a decent command of the English language and her pronunciation would have to be good as well. I think is kind of nice that she asked about her German pronunciation. It shows a respect for their native tongue. ;)

Queen Sofia recently said that she spoke four languages and she didn't speak any of them very well. I guess the languages are english, spanish, german and greek.

Not long ago I watched a documentary with some footage of an interview by Queen Sofia (from the Seventies I think) in which she spoke German.
I have to say that she was very very good at it, I didn't even notice an accent. :flowers:

well, my compliments for the princess as dutch is a difficult language to master (look at the belgian royals!). Five foreign friends who are living/working in Amsterdam are learning it now and they all say it is so difficult, especially the 'g'-sounds (however, according to a -dutch- 19th century author it was the language spoken in paradise ;) ). But I am really impressed that Martha-Louise mastered it, she can practise on Laurentien, who is the godmother of her Leah-Isodora.

Queen Beatrix speaks dutch, english, french, german and italian (and according to pollyemma also a bit of dansish... she stayed at the danish court in the 70-ties for a while, in order to see how she could reorganise her own court when she became queen, so meaybe she picked some things up).

The Prince of Orange speaks dutch, english, german, spanish and probably a bit of french.
Princess Maxima speaks spanish, english and dutch (maybe more)

The Prince of Orange doesn't speak Spanish very well. ;)

I've heard that Princess Märtha-Louise have lived in the Netherlands and speaks Dutch. Is it true?

You may have heard him speak Welsh words. He might even managed something like

' goodmorning' etc

But he is NOT a Welsh speaker

I think i know what i've heard, he spoke more than good morning to me and my family. But lets agree to disagree. :)

Not long ago I watched a documentary with some footage of an interview by Queen Sofia (from the Seventies I think) in which she spoke German.
I have to say that she was very very good at it, I didn't even notice an accent. :flowers:
Do you remember where and the channel of the documentary, to see if I can find it? :flowers:

I think i know what i've heard, he spoke more than good morning to me and my family. But lets agree to disagree. :)

Are you Welsh? I am and I met the Prince through work and I can assure you HE IS NOT A WELSH SPEAKER. :bang:

Do you remember where and the channel of the documentary, to see if I can find it? :flowers:

Yes, it was broadcasted on German channels ZDF and phoenix, the documentary is called "Majestät!" :flowers:

Sarah, duchess of york speaks English, French and Spanish. Her daughter Beatrice, speaks English and French, i think.

I wouldn't be surprised if Prince Charles can speak some Welsh.

I wouldn't be surprised if Prince Charles can speak some Welsh.

He can, but there are two differing arguments on how much Welsh he can speak. Jonathon says only a few words and I say the opposite. :)

Besides English and French, the Duke of Edinburgh is fluent in German as well. He hasn't learned Greek as a child but tried to learn some when he was older.

Prince Carl Philip speaks Swedish (of course), English, German and I heard that a couple of year ago he started to learn some Portuguese because he wanted to know some of `the other language' of his mothers family. None of the Swedish children learned Portuguese when they were young because Silvia didn't want to have 'secret language' with her children that Carl Gustav doesn't know.

Besides French, English and Danish what other langauage(s) does Marie of Denmark speak? And what about Joachim's older sons? Alexandra speaks 5-6 languages right?

Italian and Spanish according to the Royal Court.

Back
Top Bottom