Warm Moments Between Royals - Part 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They were moving and I guess Victoria surprised Daniel with her kiss... They look so happy together.
APA-Picturedesk

Let's see if this works:
FOTO: PETER HAUERBACH / HER & NU
13_DK_Dronning_70.jpg

Last edited:
Frederik's speech to his mother Kronprinsen fik smækkys af Mary - TV 2 Nyhederne - a very good speech! Especially when he says that usually parents say that they are proud of their children; tonight we would voice what the late king Frederik IX would have said to his daugher Margrethe 'I am proud of you my girl'. The queen was really moved.

...the last minute or less is where Frederik returns to his table, besides Maxima, and Mary suddenly goes to him and gives him such a kiss :in_love: :heart:

The moment after Mary kissed Frederik reminded me of something. If you watch Fred's reaction to Mary's impromptu kiss, he winces which makes me think this kind of public affection makes him uncomfortable. He did the same thing in the Mary Donaldson documentary made back in 2004. Mary is introducing her family to the cameras and she kisses Frederik and he does this: Fred Freakout.JPG You can check out the video here starting at 4:50 YouTube - Mary Donaldson part 1

Maybe they should have a talk about what they want to do in public! :whistling:

:previous:
I think that face was in response to the comment Mary made about Frederik joining the family. Not his reaction to the kiss.

I like Fred and Mary, and I like seeing affection between royal couples in public. However, I'm not a fan of the kiss after Fred's speech. It wouldn't have bothered me if it had been a speech about Mary at, say, an anniversary party for the two of them. But Fred's speech here was about Margrethe, this was Margrethe's birthday party, and, with the exception of Fred's mention of how nice his mom had been to Mary, this was totally a Fred/Margrethe moment. I thought Mary's inserting herself by doing something that called so much attention to her was inappropriate. I'm sure she was proud of him, but she should have just told him so later.

Just my opinion, and I do like Mary a lot.

I have a totally different perspective. Some of CP Frederik's speech made reference about how valuable Queen Margrethe's support has been for CP Mary and how much Mary admires the Queen's support and CP Frederik thanked the Queen for that support on behalf of himself and Mary! CP Frederik speech was not only about him and his mother! It was a speech from a son, husband, family man and Crown Prince to his mother, the Queen.

There is always talk about how the CP Couple are not "as affectionate" as other crown prince couples in public..its not like Mary does this all the time - as a matter of fact, she does this very rarely!!!! She gave a hug and kiss to her husband...a man not known to be that great a speaker or communicator in public. From the responses I read, this was one of the best speeches that CP Frederik has given in public.

Mary's action was a spontaneous and loving gesture and maybe it is a sign that she's caring less about what people will think and just doing something from her heart. IMO, Mary's kiss made Frederik's speech all the more memorable, especially since the Crown Prince's speech was not publicly released on the official website of the DRF.

On another board, it was suggested that her action upstaged the Queen! Give me a break!! Now seriously, who could upstage Queen Margrethe? Especially at the birthday dinner yesterday with that new fantastic dress? Mary chose to wear a 7 year old dress with a recycled loaned tiara, so she showed tact and consideration! All the other Crown Princesses wore new dresses and look at the jewels that CP Maxima wore which were far more elaborate than Queen Margrethe's! Mary did not upstage the Queen in the slightest! If she had wanted to then she could have worn the ruby and diamond parure and white Grecian style dress at Fredensborg yesterday instead of to the Royal Theater the day before.

I agree! Go mary defrost them royals

I think that face was in response to the comment Mary made about Frederik joining the family. Not his reaction to the kiss.

This is a plausible theory, however if you watch both videos to compare, the only common thing is her public kiss and he reacts the same.

Public displays of affection are very much based on cultural expectations and of course, some people (mostly men, IMO) don't like women to kiss them openly in public because it can be embarrassing. So, that's my theory on Frederik and Mary on this topic.

There is always talk about how the CP Couple are not "as affectionate" as other crown prince couples in public..its not like Mary does this all the time - as a matter of fact, she does this very rarely!!!! She gave a hug and kiss to her husband...a man not known to be that great a speaker or communicator in public. From the responses I read, this was one of the best speeches that CP Frederik has given in public.

I agree with you Terri Terri; my first reaction when I saw this kiss was also that it was a reaction from a wife who knew that her husband was perhaps not completely at ease doing it - and she was saying that this went fine. Which it did; I cannot recall Frederik being praised for giving speeches before - but he has been praised for this one. No stuttering, very collected and he managed to draw in Margrethe's beloved father in the speech.

I found Mary's reaction incredibly sweet and heart-warming -and Frederik's funny face I think was not because he didn't appreciate the kiss and the sentiment but rather an instinctively shy reaction.

I think that a little kiss on the cheek of Frederik would have been enough, or a kiss later in the evening.

I have no idea what Frederik said in his speech but from the look on his mother's and brother's faces it seemed like a very good one!

And as for Mary's kiss after his speech it was very sweet!

I love that Mary kissed Frederik at the end of his speech , I have seen a translation and it is a great speech.I like the warmth shown and how proud she was of him.
I also think that the majority of the people at the dinner would not have even known she did it, so I am sure it was not a show moment for her.
Some people will see the downside to everthing especially when certain people are involved.

Victorais has always been very warm and has a good relation with many of the royals.

I did not like Marys kiss to Fred after his speech, I found it quite unnecessary, especially the fact that she had to get up and walk over. Personally it was a show moment for her :whistling:
Sad that you should see it in this way.
For the first time ever, Frederik was praised both for the contents of his speech and his deliverance of it. I think that Mary knew that he wanted to succeed; obviously they are aware that he his critised a lot for his speaking abilities. The kiss IMO was a caring and loving gesture to say that he did well.

The negative reactions are puzzling. Mary is always correct at royal events and the couple does not turn up at official events holding hands or exhibit overly intimate body language in public. Strange that it should be so hard to allow them an affectionate moment during the private part of the celebrations.

Wonder if the same negative reaction would have been there if others, e.g. Victoria or Maxima had done the same thing :cool:

I agree. I always thought that Mary is very professional and appears to be rather a bit aloof in the meantime (not as a criticism meant). So, for that I loved that gesture. And I don't think it was a show moment. It was a lovely gesture from a woman who was proud of her husband and he indeed acted a bit shy as it seems to be part of his nature. :flowers:

It looks like they didn't see each other before arriving at the dinner and are examing how pretty the other looks. :) I love the view of their hair and tiaras in the second one - beautiful!

When was the last time MM and Q.Sonja saw each other? A year ago?! :lol: That was funny. Every single photo from the celebrations in Copenhagen was amazing IMO. I can't wait for the next royal get-together event - Victoria's wedding that is!!!!!! ;) (counting the days....61... tomorrow 60... :D).

Victorais has always been very warm and has a good relation with many of the royals.

I did not like Marys kiss to Fred after his speech, I found it quite unnecessary, especially the fact that she had to get up and walk over. Personally it was a show moment for her :whistling:

Completely disagree. It was a touching moment. A wife showing her husband she was proud of him and how he honored his mother during her 70th birthday celebration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom