Titles, Duty and Goodwill

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzzanah

Commoner
City
Hallsville
Country
United States
I am saddened that Prince Harry and his wife are not returning to public life. Titles are for those who are performing the duties however. We must understand that they are the understudies so to speak for Prince William and his wife. Often those not first in line are in different places with other jobs. Fortunately for Americans his highness is here. This makes the globe seem not such a large place at all. He will always be a prince. He will always represent Goodwill to America. Do not believe the nonsense about problems in the family. Also remember this even Prince William once slept in a shelter to serve his people. The queen herself resided in a country estate as a child away from other family. I am annoyed that everyone is so concerned about this. The family is safe. The crown is safe. Great progress has been made toward beneficial business alliances between europe and the USA. Perhaps the tea party has been forgotten. Now if we could just deal with Covid,we will all be fine. Finally, there are several Canadian titles open. Perhaps Prince Harry should apply for a job on this side of the planet!

. Finally, there are several Canadian titles open. Perhaps Prince Harry should apply for a job on this side of the planet!

I don't know what you mean. [FONT=&quot]The government of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Canada[/FONT][FONT=&quot] officially opposes [/FONT][FONT=&quot]the awarding of peerages, baronetcies and knighthoods to Canadian citizens (exceptions are made only rarely for dual British/Canadian citizens). Accordingly, despite being a constitutional monarchy, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Canada[/FONT][FONT=&quot] doesn’t have the equivalent to a “titled nobility” as in Europe.
[/FONT]
Canada recognizes, however, several orders of merit, which include both orders in the personal gift of the Sovereign that are also awarded in the United Kingdom and other Commonwealth countries like the Order of Merit and the Royal Victorian Order, and other novel national Canadian orders created by Letters Patent of the Queen of Canada, e.g. the Order of Canada, the Order of Military Merit, and the Order of Merit of the Police Forces. In the case of British or Commonwealth orders, however, only grades that do not confer knighthood may be awarded in Canada and, likewise, no national Canadian order confers knighthood.

I don't understand either what "jobs" you have in mind for Harry in Canada. The Queen's chief representative in Canada at the national level is the Governor General. Harry is unlikely to receive a royal commission for that office though as he is not a Canadian citizen.

Last edited:
Titles are for those who are performing the duties however.

This, actually, isn't so. The idea of duties and engagements and cutting ribbons and opening hospital wings and such is pretty much a modern addition to being "titled" or "royal". Some British titles reach very far back into British history where a Duke had a duchy and titles were created for a person because he won favoritism with the monarch. There are plenty of people with "titles" that just live their own private lives and have their own private careers and do not do public service.

Harry's having a title does not require him to be of "public service" whatsoever anywhere. If The Duke and Duchess of Sussex decide they want to do works of "goodwill", it's their own personal choice. It has nothing whatsoever to do with having a British title. Heredity peerage titles, like Harry's, can only be removed by an act of Parliament and the last I checked, the only reason Parliament would consider doing that is treason. Titles do not come with job requisites. ?

Last edited:
I don't know what you mean. [FONT=&quot]The government of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Canada[/FONT][FONT=&quot] officially opposes [/FONT][FONT=&quot]the awarding of peerages, baronetcies and knighthoods to Canadian citizens (exceptions are made only rarely for dual British/Canadian citizens). Accordingly, despite being a constitutional monarchy, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Canada[/FONT][FONT=&quot] doesn’t have the equivalent to a “titled nobility” as in Europe.
[/FONT]
ve in mind for Harry in Canada. The Queen's chief representatives in Canada are the Governor General at the national level and the Lieutenant Governors at the provincial level. Harry is unlikely to receive a royal commission for any of those offices though as he is not a Canadian citizen.

In any case, Since Harry and Meg quit Canada pretty abruptly in March last year I dont thnk they would be looking for jobs in Canada

Closed for Moderator Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom