Royals' Ex-Partners

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think they've ever been 'off' really. They need privacy. They are playing the field - that does not mean they have abandoned their relationship. It's just - IMO - under the radar.

Under the radar is best for a royal relationship, until they are ready to make it official.

No royal relationship will ever be"official" until an engagement, they are never announced, nor confirmed or denied. It's a boring news day, I'll believe this relationship if they ever get engaged.

Very Beautiful Couple Harry & Chelsy :w00t: , Wish To Them all The Best ;)

Chelsy often seems to show up when there are glamorous occasions to be had. This is the Diamond Jubilee year. It doesn't get much more glamorous than that.

I don't think it's a great idea and I hope these two have sense not to marry. Chelsy has made it clear Royal life isn't for her nothing has changed.

Chelsy often seems to show up when there are glamorous occasions to be had. This is the Diamond Jubilee year. It doesn't get much more glamorous than that.

:whistling: True. We'll see if she starts appearing in pictures at royal events with him. This relationship makes me tired - it's too immature. She reminds me of Sara Ferguson back in the day when she was the "fun" one and Diana was the "boring" one. She wants to live the good life of a royal but doesn't want the scrutiny or the actual boring work it would involve to be married into the family.
We'll see if she's what he ends up with.

We'll see if she starts appearing in pictures at royal events with him.

Nothing to see, that won't happen. The only events Chelsy attended with Harry were private ones, dinners out, parties and the Diana concert. We saw at the wedding as a guest of William and Catherine's.

Yes, I know what you mean. Sarah was praised for working at a day job and being "fun loving" and having "experience" in the real world--even for having the kind of looks and figure that any woman could aspire to. As it turned out, Sarah was much too "common" indeed. There's something about Chelsea that's never sat right with me.

:whistling: True. We'll see if she starts appearing in pictures at royal events with him. This relationship makes me tired - it's too immature. She reminds me of Sara Ferguson back in the day when she was the "fun" one and Diana was the "boring" one. She wants to live the good life of a royal but doesn't want the scrutiny or the actual boring work it would involve to be married into the family.

Harry has talked about Chelsy in interviews though, while they were together. She went to his passing out parade I think? I think that counts as confirmation. Saying that, I have no doubt that Harry is not confiding in Ms Nicholl.

I don't know with these two. I think, as someone who's studied law in the UK, it's a heck of a lot of effort to put in to become a fully qualified solicitor if you have every intention of a long-term relationship with the son of the future King. I can't see any way she would be able to continue to practice law if she married Harry. When she decided to go the law route and complete the Legal Practice Course, I took that as a hint that she probably didn't see her relationship with Harry as likely to go the distance. I could be completely wrong though.

That's the way that I see it, too. I honestly can't see someone as determined to become a lawyer as Chelsy has been becoming the HRH The Duchess of _________ with all the duty and public exposure that comes with the title.

I can't see any way she would be able to continue to practice law if she married Harry.

Last edited:
If, she gets a title. Depending upon the situation, Harry might not want one.

If, she gets a title. Depending upon the situation, Harry might not want one.

Even without Harry getting a ducal title she would still become HRH Princess Henry of Wales. If she continued with her career and opted out of royal duties people would say any success she enjoyed would be because she married a royal.

Unless she was successful before marriage, then that argument is ruined. Don't see how being in connection with a royal can boost you up the "law ladder". Royalty hold no power in that section of life.

People will say clients are drawn to her and her firm because of who she is married to. The same arguement was used against Prince Richard when he was a practicing architect. Other architects complained that clients went to him because of his royal connections....although I cannot see how being a royal meant he would design a better building I would bet some clients were drawn to the royal connection.

Whether she had a title or not she'd still be the King's daughter-in-law. Is she became involved in cases dealing with, say, immigrants, asylum seekers or anything with a political element, it could be very complicated for the royals. If she was part of a case which involved a client taking action against the government, she'd strictly speaking be taking her husband's father to court. (In criminal proceedings, the prosecuting party is the Crown, but the Crown can also be a plaintiff or defendant) Her father-in-law would be appointing all the judges she would appear before. She would have certain privileges that other solicitors wouldn't have, whether by accident or design. If she discussed her career at a reception in BP or whatever, she could well stand accused of using her royal connections to win business for her firm. It wouldn't be long before there would be rumours and accusations of impropriety.

Cherie Blair found it very difficult to continue as a barrister and judge while Tony Blair was PM, and she wasn't under any obligation to be politically impartial as Chesly would be. Cherie generally dealt with human rights cases and it was pretty awkward at times.

This relationship makes me tired - it's too immature. She reminds me of Sara Ferguson back in the day when she was the "fun" one and Diana was the "boring" one.
I'll give you that Harry never seems happier than when he is with Chelsy and she has a smile and laugh that is totally real. How that is a bad thing is beyond me. It's not as if she is dependent on Harry for any aspect of her life other than that she wishes. As to it being immature? Well I think there is a lot to admire with two people who recognise that their worlds don't quite fit and do something about it. If it is true they are still an off and on "item" that is terribly sad for them.

She wants to live the good life of a royal but doesn't want the scrutiny or the actual boring work it would involve to be married into the family.
Well, she certainly has the background and money to live the good life without having to put in a day's work. She doesn't need Harry to achieve that. That the idea of every single aspect of her life could be in the tabloids appals her is hardly a mark against her and the notion she thinks she would be short-changed by trading a career she has worked to achieve for the immeasurable challenge of cutting ribbons and playing Dress Up Barbie for the tabloids an uneven trade not surprising. Both Harry and William are less than thrilled with that aspect of their own future lives when measured against what they have achieved themselves.

Indeed we will.

That's the way that I see it, too. I honestly can't see someone as determined to become a lawyer as Chelsy has been becoming the HRH The Duchess of _________ with all the duty and public exposure that comes with the title.

It appears there will be no winning being connected to the BRF. I find it admirable that Chelsey is proving herself to be a young woman of substance - says something about her family and upbringing. Wealthy and privileged or not, one works and contributes, uses one's mind, engages the world, does not retreat into a cocoon. There is evidence of character there. Chelsey is not allowing herself to be defined by who she knows and sees romantically - and in this she appears to have backbone.

Perhaps Harry and Chelsey - if they marry - will forgo a title, as someone mentioned. Since the generation after Charles seems to have a rather unique anti-royal-lifestyle bias - all that emphasis on wanting to be 'normal' (whatever that is suppose to mean) - may mean that the monarchy seriously undergoes an alteration with the ascent of William to the throne a few decades down the line. Harry and his wife, and what they do or do not do, may hardly be of consequence.

Right. Then, when her father-in-law succeeds his mother, she'll be HRH The Princess Harry. I think I'd rather a title. Has there ever been anyone married into the BRF that close to the throne who's succeeded in a career path? Edward and Sophie tried and failed spectacularly, and Edward was--I believe--seventh in line when they married (In descending order:Charles, William, Harry, Andrew, Beatrice, Eugenie, Edward.)

Even without Harry getting a ducal title she would still become HRH Princess Henry of Wales. If she continued with her career and opted out of royal duties people would say any success she enjoyed would be because she married a royal.

Perhaps Harry and Chelsey - if they marry - will forgo a title, as someone mentioned.
I would think this scenario would be possible, or even probable, if Harry was Prince Andrew's son, or even if he was one of three or four children of The Prince of Wales. But, unless the plan is to basically cut the activities of the royal family down to almost nothing, I think that Harry, (and his wife), will be expected to carry out an increasing number of royal duties, especially once he's the monarch's son.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right. Then, when her father-in-law succeeds his mother, she'll be HRH The Princess Harry. I think I'd rather a title. Has there ever been anyone married into the BRF that close to the throne who's succeeded in a career path? Edward and Sophie tried and failed spectacularly, and Edward was--I believe--seventh in line when they married (In descending order:Charles, William, Harry, Andrew, Beatrice, Eugenie, Edward.)

Wouldn't she be HRH, The Princess Henry - since 'Harry' is a nickname?

Am I correct in thinking that the daughters of Andrew do not figure in the succession - as Anne does not over her brothers and her brothers' sons? It would go Andrew to Edward and then Edward's son. Else in that list you should have had Anne coming in there somewhere if Beatrice and Eugenie truly out-succeed Edward. If I'm wrong how does it go?

I would think this scenario would be possible, or even probable, if Harry was Prince Andrew's son, or even if he was one of three or four children of The Prince of Wales. But, unless the plan is to basically cut the activities of the royal family down to almost nothing, I think that Harry, (and his wife), will be expected to carry out an increasing number of royal duties, especially once he's the monarch's son.

Well, that's at the root and stem of all this, isn't it? Monarchy may appear to be about cutting ribbons but its the modern equivalent of the movement of the court around a domain, making ties, connecting to who one 'rules'. Its ancient stuff but the vestige lives on in that way (the Charity Work) - and if William hates the very thing that is the core of being a King - connecting to his people - how can the British Monarchy be sustained? If the preference is to live away from the populace in a 'regular' job living a 'regular' life then perhaps the last vestige of what 'legitimizes' monarchy in Britain is gone. All that remains is the Church connection - and if that gets 'resolved' - then what then is the monarchy for?

Last edited:
Am I correct in thinking that the daughters of Andrew do not figure in the succession...?
It's Charles, then William, then Harry, then Prince Andrew, then Princess Beatrice, then Princess Eugenie, then Prince Edward, then James, then Louise, then Princess Anne, then Peter, then Savannah, then Isla, then Zara.

So the first poster was correct, but didn't go as far down the line of succession.
And I edited to correct a mistake, I'd written "Philip" instead of Peter for Peter Phillips.

Then what I don't understand is why Beatrice and Eugenie - but particularly Beatrice - are not being actively groomed to be part of the royal family since barring no issue from William and Harry (which is a possibility) Beatrice would be Queen one day. Doesn't it make sense for Beatrice and Eugenie to be part of Royalty now as they come of age rather than be excluded? (Is the exclusion a reflection of a bias against their mother, Sarah?)

It's a possibility that neither William nor Harry will have children but it's an incredibly remote possibility. What's more likely is that the York princesses will slip further down the line of succession and become less relevant.

There are a lot of threads discussing why/why not on royal duties for the two of them. They're also still young and things could change.

Am I correct in thinking that the daughters of Andrew do not figure in the succession - as Anne does not over her brothers and her brothers' sons? It would go Andrew to Edward and then Edward's son. Else in that list you should have had Anne coming in there somewhere if Beatrice and Eugenie truly out-succeed Edward. If I'm wrong how does it go?
Succession goes in direct line based on male primogeniture.
That means eldest brother and his direct descendants, followed by younger brothers and their descendants, followed by sisters and their descendants.

Currently:
- Prince Charles (the eldest son of the Monarch)
- Prince William (the eldest son of the eldest son. His future children will be immediately after him in the succession line)
- Prince Henry (the younger son of the eldest son. His future children will be immediately after him in the succession line)
- Prince Andrew (the younger son of the Monarch)
- Princess Beatrice (the elder daughter of the younger son)
- Princess Eugenie (the younger daughter of the younger son)
- Prince Edward (the youngest son of the Monarch)
- James, Viscount Severn (the son of the youngest son)
- Lady Louise (the daughter of the youngest son)
- Princess Anne (the daughter of the Monarch)
- Peter Phillips (the daughter's son)
- Savannah Phillips (the elder daughter)
- Isla Phillips (the younger daughter)

Harry and Chelsy's relationship reminds me of my niece and her boyfriend. They have been on and off for 9 years, they get together things are great for awhile then the same problems appear and they split. Harry and Chelsy may love each other but Chelsy doesn't want a Royal life by all accounts and Harry will one day be the son of the King so his path has been mapped out. It is very different to Kate and William who split the once because William felt it was unfair to Kate because he wasn't ready for marriage. Harry and Chelsy have split several times often for long periods then get back together. This is not healthy and if they married it wouldn't last. Something I think Harry wants to avoid. Chelsy wants fun and freedom and her family connections are not the best. I think she is rough and while she may be working hard now to be a lawyer she had a 2 year break so she could travel and party. It is no accident that she got a job in a law firm that never took anyone from her University before and she happened to be with Harry when she got the job. The problem is they both want different things and while they can ignore them for awhile they will present themselves again cause they haven't been dealt with. If Chelsy and Harry are dating again chances are they could split up before anyone really knows. They can't seem to live with each other but they can't live without each other. Unless Chelsy decided she wants to be Royal and have a life of duty for others and be much better behaved or Harry gives up his place in line to the throne this "love story" is not going to have a happy ending, again!

Chelsey is a law student --- that's not exactly a housekeeper. The girl has something going for her. I think she would make a good addition to the royal family and ... she and Harry have that special connection between them. Harry: take a page from your father's book -- marry the woman you love not the woman people think you should marry. 'Just sayin'

Chelsey is a law student --- that's not exactly a housekeeper. The girl has something going for her. I think she would make a good addition to the royal family and ... she and Harry have that special connection between them. Harry: take a page from your father's book -- marry the woman you love not the woman people think you should marry. 'Just sayin'

I think Harry would marry her tomorrow but she knows what she would have to give up - career, privacy, a life etc and isn't prepared to give up the right to make choices about her own life - to have things organised for her months in advance - to lose the spontaneity she has now.

Chelsy is way too smart for Harry and for the BRF - they wouldn't now how to deal with her.

Sorry, but I don't find Chelsy " too smart" for BRF, nor very successfull lawyer to be. The only material that I've read about her on papers was about her rich background and wild parties, and actually no concrete career or other achievements, like running a charity project etc. Nobody could tell exactly what was the relation there and the exact attitude of the senior members of BRF towards her. Despite this, I must admit she and Harry really look like a true couple that complement each other.
I agree that she is mostly independent.

Back
Top Bottom