Royals Born By Caesarean

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guillaume of Luxemburgo born by cesarian too...
Which one? The current Heir or his uncle?
King Robert II of Scotland was also born via Cesarean. His mother Marjorie Bruce, the daughter of Robert I Bruce, died at birth.

I wonder how many Royals were born premature and survived?
I remember:
Emperor Claudius of Rome (10 BC - 54 AD)
Robert II, King of Scotland (1316 - 90)
Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and Avondale (1864 - 92) the eldest son of the future King Edward VII of Great Britain
Lady Louise Windsor (b.2003)
Alexandra Long (b. 2007) the youngest grandchild of Princess Ragnhild of Norway and her husband Erling Lorentzen; the only child of their youngest daughter Ragnhild Alexandra (b.1968) and her husband Aaron Long

Do you know about some more?:flowers:

The second and last birth of Queen Silvia were homebirths, as well as the second one of Empress Farah (she wrote that in her Memories):
Prince Carl Philip's - in the Royal Palace (Kungliga Slottet) in the centre of Stockholm
Princess Madeleine's - in the Drottnindholm Castle near Stockholm
I wonder if it was the Queen's choice to give birth at home or the births simply "went very fast"? And was the King present at them?
As refers to Empress of Iran I suppose it was the second option; she gave birth in the dentistic cabinet...gosh, I hope Shah didn't hear her screams...

So Prince Philip was premature??

Last edited by a moderator:
I read somewhere that all children of Bertie and Alexandra were born premature.
Because Alexandra doesn't want presence of her mother-in-law Victoria during
childbirths she always give her wrong date of the all deliveries.

Infanta Leonor (2005- ) - premature about month, caesarean
Infanta Sofia (2007- ) - after due date, same as sister by c-section
Princes Nicolas and Aymeric born premature on 13 Dec 2005; date of due was Jan 2006
Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich (1891-1941) -2 months earlier
Elizabeth I (1533 - 1603) - premature

LaChicaMadrilena said:
And what about Prince Felipe of Spain? He must have been such a big baby... I meen... LOOONG!:D
:) Well actually it was a natural birth, very quick and pain-free! So I've read!! He was 55cm long, not to long :lol: I was 54cm!

Queen Elizabeth had all of her children by c-section. And as far as I know all of her grandchildren except Eugenie and Louise were born natually. All of the grandchildren were born in hospitals.

Can you tell me where you heard that all her children were born by C-section?

I can't find that in any of the books I have on either her or her children.

Does anyone know anything about Crown Prince Frederik's birth? He was born with C-section but why? I have heard that his mother had huge difficulty delivering him at the palace so she was admitted to the hospital to have a C-section! Is that true? If yes, does anyone know anything more about it?

Yes, that's true, but I'm not sure exactly what happened - I've heard it was dangerous for both the mother and the baby and that there was some sort of medical emergency. There was a royal forums newsletter once which mentioned Frederik's birth in passing, but it sounded like there was a brief time when they weren't sure if either of the two would survive. Whatever was wrong must have been just a chance happening, because Joachim was delivered naturally a year later and everything was fine. Margrethe herself doesn't give very many details in her memoir, simply noting (with her usual magnificent aplomb and dignity) that she found all the drama "annoying."

Maybe there are some Danish members who know more?

Yes, that's true, but I'm not sure exactly what happened - I've heard it was dangerous for both the mother and the baby and that there was some sort of medical emergency. There was a royal forums newsletter once which mentioned Frederik's birth in passing, but it sounded like there was a brief time when they weren't sure if either of the two would survive. Whatever was wrong must have been just a chance happening, because Joachim was delivered naturally a year later and everything was fine. Margrethe herself doesn't give very many details in her memoir, simply noting (with her usual magnificent aplomb and dignity) that she found all the drama "annoying."

Maybe there are some Danish members who know more?
why annoying? i would say worry, if her or the child wehre in danger! anyones knows really what happen?

The Queen by saying she found all the drama "annoying", it was probably that she didn't like being fussed over and may have been embarrassed. In all fairness the Queen may not have been told of the actual danger so as to keep her calm. I've worked in Labor and Delivery and sometimes we had to keep the real situation from the mother until after a safe delivery because we didn't need a panicked mother to add to the emergency. Sometimes we moved so fast that the mother really didn't know about danger until after the surgery.

I guess royals or non royals, most women decide to go with C-section only if it's necessary (big baby, wrong position, premature birth..), they say it's better to do the it natural way, recovery is faster then the C-section,
But what amazes me the most is Princess Letizia of Spain; how slim she ends up looking only 3 months after giving birth to a big baby (ex; Leonor) by C-section, I mean flat stomach :ohmy:,
& it's much difficult or challenging to lose stomach baby weight after a C-section...tummy tuck..I don't think so!!
Any ideas??

The Queen by saying she found all the drama "annoying", it was probably that she didn't like being fussed over and may have been embarrassed. In all fairness the Queen may not have been told of the actual danger so as to keep her calm. I've worked in Labor and Delivery and sometimes we had to keep the real situation from the mother until after a safe delivery because we didn't need a panicked mother to add to the emergency. Sometimes we moved so fast that the mother really didn't know about danger until after the surgery.

Yes, and even if she had been worried at the time, she seems like the type who later on would have been very calmly thinking, "well, all that was rather a lot of fuss about nothing."

All of Princess Stephanie Children were born by C-Section I know Louis was because his umbilical cord was wrapped around his body , Not sure why the other 2 were also .

Bacause it passed only 17 months after first C-section, also Pauline had to be born via this way.
And for the woman after two Caesarians, it's too risky to give birth naturally.

As for premature babies: Also Prince Karim Aga Khan was such a baby.

Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark=caesarean
Prince Joachim of Denmark=natural

Ok, that I can't understand! How could Prince Joachim, who is only almost a year younger than Prince Frederik, be born naturally after a caesarian? There is always a danger of complications if there is a natural birth after a caesarian, which in this case happened 12 months before!!

Can someone explain?

I don't have any idea about the medical details involved, Angelica, but I do know that Margrethe mentions the issue briefly in the book "Queen in Denmark":

"A caesarian was considered [for Joachim], but the doctors judged that he could manage by himself."

So I guess for some reason they must have thought the risk of complications was minimal, but I don't know why.

Doctors now a days are usually in favor of a "natural" birth if the previous one was a c-section.

What about Caroline, Albert and Stephanie?
And about Andrea, Charlotte, Pierre and Alexandra?
I don't know why i have the impression that the Casiraghis were born in the natural way, while Alexandra was born by a c-section

Can you tell me where you heard that all her children were born by C-section?

I can't find that in any of the books I have on either her or her children.

If I can remember correctly it was in the book Royal Children by Majesty editor Ingrid Seward. It was written a long time ago and I think Eugenie is the most recent birth in there. It starts off with the Queen and Philip and goes through their children and then grandchildren and other members of the royal family. It's an awesome book, try to check it out.

But C-section has to be performed in hospital, and all QE,s births were homebirths (all sons in Buckingham Palace, a daugter in Clarence House)

Does anyone know how many royal twins were born naturally:

I remember that the Belgian ones (Nicolas & Aymeric) & the French ones (Luis & Alfonso) were born via C-section, but what about the older ones? (from the previous generation, as to say)

It's supposed that in case of twins, the natural birth of both is possible only when both are in the right position ("heads down")

Although I don't believe that QE's births were caesareans they could have been performed at the palace.

Other serious operations were carried out at the palace prior to this time they set up a room as an operating theatre - ie they brought all the equipment to the palace instead of taking the patient to the hospital.

Do you know how royals are born ?

=> by ceasarean ?

=> or normally ?

According to the swedish yearbook Aktuellt från 1977, 1979 and 1982 all three royal kids in Sweden are born normally. Victoria is the only one born in a hospital, Karolinska hospital, since it was Silvias first delivery.

CarlP and Madde are born at the Royal Palace in Stockholm.

And in another note: The king missed Victorias birth since he was in another part of Sweden and missed CarlPs since he was on a official visit to West Germany

Madeleine was born in Drottningholm Palace, not in the Royal Palace in Stockholm, like her brother.

Princess Elisabeth of Belgium had to be born by Caesarian. I read somewhere that the umbilical cord got wrapped around her neck at one point,

were all of princess Margaret children born by C-section

We were just discussing the risk of having a normal delivery after a c-section at work today (I am a midwife), and our Registrar was saying that the risks of having a normal delivery and the uterus rupturing is very limited, as opposed to the risk associated with a subsequent c-section. VBAC (the term used to describe normal births after a c-section) statistics are quite good in a lot of places, I just think that in many of the Royal situations it is perhaps a case of "you have had one before, just have another one incase anything were to go wrong." I read Sophie requested to have another c-section with James, mainly because the situation with Louise was so traumatic she did not want to relive it, and she also wanted Edward to be there. This is quite a common reason for having a c-section (previous traumatic delivery), which is a fair reason as a prior traumatic delivery can severely effect a woman's abililty to bond with their baby.

I also heard that Queen Elizabeth had her children naturally, it was just her mother who had to have c-sections. There were also rumours that the Queen Mother had ferility problems, though I am not sure how concrete those are.

Eugenie was breech, hence why Sarah had a c-section, but she also had scoliosis which perhaps added to the reasoning behind it.

I read Sophie requested to have another c-section with James, mainly because the situation with Louise was so traumatic she did not want to relive it, and she also wanted Edward to be there. This is quite a common reason for having a c-section (previous traumatic delivery), which is a fair reason as a prior traumatic delivery can severely effect a woman's abililty to bond with their baby.
And she was not so young already (nearly 43); it is also a common indication for c-section - older mother, more risk of complications, as I read.
If James had been, for example, her fifth child and all previous four she had naturally, she could have tried to give birth naturally to him, but in her situation...no,no,no. Too risky!

And she was not so young already (nearly 43); it is also a common indication for c-section - older mother, more risk of complications, as I read.
If James had been, for example, her fifth child and all previous four she had naturally, she could have tried to give birth naturally to him, but in her situation...no,no,no. Too risky!

Yes, it is true that a lot of "older mothers" choose to have c-sections as it is deemed to be safer. After the age of 40, one's body does not labour as well as it is essentially "tired". The risk of ending up with an emergency section due to "failure to progress" is considerably higher than say if one was 25. (I hate the term older mother as I do not feel 40 is old, but in terms of procreation anything over the age of 35 is considered old.) IVF is also another reason for c-sections too, which we are to believe James was. (Some articles state he was a natural conception, other state he was IVF. We will never really know.)

IVF is also another reason for c-sections too, which we are to believe James was. (Some articles state he was a natural conception, other state he was IVF. We will never really know.)
My mother's friend had IVF and gave birth naturally (Age 34, first child).

More premature babies: Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester, Cassius Taylor (although I read in some English newspaper an interview with Lady Helen soon after the birth of Estelle, that she had to have all her children a month early due to some problems with her liver);)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...gallery-relatives-godchildren-born-reign.html

Back
Top Bottom